Layout - MR layout
Transmission - 6-speed sequential manual
Power - 750 bhp @ 10500 rpm
Torque - 383 lb-ft @ 8000 rpm
Curb weight - 1995 lbs
Zero to 60 mph - 2.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile - 10.2 sec @ 129 mph
Price - "A little more" than $1,000,000

It's a RACING F50! The car is sub-zero, but I voted it cool because it loses points for Ferrari not racing it. I don't know why, it would've absolutely DOMINATED!!!

I've always loved the F50. It's just what I think about when I hear "supercar". However, this particular model from the looks of it just seems like a trackday car. I much prefer the regular model.

COOL

I don't know why, it would've absolutely DOMINATED!!!
Maybe, maybe not. Ferrari produced this car on the absolute tail end of when cars like this could have actually won BPR and Le Mans. It probably would have been fantastic competition for the McLaren F1s and Esprits GT1s and F40 GTEs and Atlantique 600GTs and M12 ASRs and whatnot (you know, the mid-90s were awesome for racing cars), but I dunno if it could have competed with the CLK-GTRs, R390s and 911 GT1s that were coming out by the end of '96.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. Ferrari produced this car on the absolute tail end of when cars like this could have actually won BPR and Le Mans. It was faster than the 333SP, and probably would have been fantastic competition for the McLaren F1s and Esprits GT1s and F40 GTEs and Atlantique 600GTs and Vectors and whatnot (you know, the mid-90s were awesome for racing cars), but I dunno if it could have competed with CLK-GTRs, R390s and 911 GT1s that were coming out by the end of '96.

You've got a point about the CLK-GTR and everything, and I agree with Irons about it looking too much like a track-day car. Still, it would've been cool if it had been raced

As a trackday car it is brilliant and I would love nothing more than to take this thing around a track or circuit. However in the real world this is seriously uncool. You will have to explain to even the medium petrolhead what this is, and that by itself is uncool. The wing, ground effects and rear diffuser just make it hopeless for the street and make the car ugly.

JCE
As a trackday car it is brilliant and I would love nothing more than to take this thing around a track or circuit. However in the real world this is seriously uncool. You will have to explain to even the medium petrolhead what this is, and that by itself is uncool. The wing, ground effects and rear diffuser just make it hopeless for the street and make the car ugly.

You can show a picture of this car to anyone, petrolhead or not and they will know that it's something special, my sister would think this was cool.

As for it being hopeless on the street, it wasn't made to be driven on the street and here in the US it's not even street legal. Same reason why you don't see people driving the streets in an FXX but that's still awesome too.

My vote was for sub zero, any car that has 750+ horsepower and weighs roughly 2000 lbs is incredible. I just wish that they had made more of them and done some racing with it to see what it was capable of.

My vote was for sub zero, any car that has 750+ horsepower and weighs roughly 2000 lbs is incredible. I just wish that they had made more of them and done some racing with it to see what it was capable of.

Likewise man.👍

This car belongs in the deepest, darkest, coldest part of the Milky Way the whole universe.

You can show a picture of this car to anyone, petrolhead or not and they will know that it's something special, my sister would think this was cool.

"Why does it have that stupid big spoiler?"
"What are those things on the rear bumper?"
"Why is the car so low?"

Those are the questions normal folks will ask. That makes it uncool.

And look at this hideous thing:
ferrari_f50_gt_19961.jpg

The front looks putrid, I thought the rear was bad. The normal F50 is good looking, this GT is hideous.

Oh and I just showed the F50 GT to my fiancé and she said the back is too fiddly, the car is too low and the front looks like "a vacuum cleaner."

JCE
"Why is the car so low?"

Petrolheads will already know the answers to all of those questions, and the people that wouldn't probably wouldn't even be asking questions unless they actually thought the diffuser and spoiler actually did something. My sister absolutely adores the sideblade on the Audi R8 as an example, just because it "looks cool", not because it might actually be functional in some way shape or form.

You either hate the F50GT because of its looks, or love it because of its looks. For me, it's the latter, along with the fact that it's a racing version of one of my all-time dream cars. Into the liquid nitrogen it goes.

It's a racing car. Instantly seriously uncool (my personal exception is the 993 GT2 RSR, which is very very cool). Wasn't there a rule about no racing cars on the cool wall?

Besides, Ferrari only built three - one of which was a prototype - so it hardly qualifies as a car anyway.

Awesome performance? Yes.

Awesome to drive? Likely.

Awesome car? Most probably.

Cool?

You still can't outrun ugly. Sorry. :lol:

I can see why they didn't race this car. It's ugly! although the stock version is pretty this one makes it look ugly.

I don't care about the performance data, it's a race car and a race car should have those performance numbers so it is no big deal. You can design a race car to perform but you have to make it look good too. This one is definitely not pretty to look at so I voted uncool.

It's a supercar with a ridiculous wing on the back. it's a boy racer for yuppies who may or may not go to track days. and really, any track day cars are automatically seriously uncool. if there was an option worse than that, I would choose it.

I don't care for avoiding the stereotype and how its now fashinable (to an extent) to defy the coolness of Ferraris and such - its awesome. Thats it for me.

S-Z

F50's already look a mess. This just makes it worse. It was never used in competition, so its a race car that never raced, and so never won anything. Its very rare but its outclassed by its competition (McLaren F1 GTR, etc).

When I was younger I used to love F50's but nowadays I realise how horribly designed they are, especially compared to its more natural looking predecessor.

Seriously uncool. I don't care that its a Ferrari, there are several uncool Ferrari's, this is one of them.

I don't know why, it would've absolutely DOMINATED!!!
Actually, Ferrari didn't race it because it wouldn't have been competitive against the 911 GT1. It would've become even less competitive in later years against the other purpose built GT1 race cars which came along.

Anyway, I've never really been been a fan of the F50, so I'm gonna have to go with uncool.

In 1987, Ferrari gave birth to the F40, 40 years after the company was found. The baby was a beautiful child and both mother and baby were doing well.

In 1995, the afterbirth fell out. Doctors gave it a slap anyway and, when it started crying, called it the F50, completely failing to understand that it should have been called the F48. As the F48 got older, it got into the body modification scene. It got a few piercings and tattoos and gave itself a new "trendy" name - F50 GT - but it got beaten up a lot at school by 911 GT1, CLK-GTR and McLaren F1 GTR. Then its mother disowned it in favour of her new baby, F310.

Ugly made uglier, slower than its rivals - or it would have been had they ever raced the damn thing - and, ultimately, a purpose-built car which was never actually used for that purpose. There's no possible way to get any less cool, even if you were to gather all the energy in the universe into a singularity and make it drive a Barried Saxo.

JCE
"Why is the car so low?"

Those are the questions normal folks will ask. That makes it uncool.

I don't think so. "Normal" folks don't ask questions, because they know the answer's beyond them. They just look, smile, and nod. Some may even say, "Cool, a Ferrari," and leave it at that.

It's usually car enthusiasts who bury themselves in one sort of vehicle who'd ask that sort of thing. (The Musclecar crowd, I think, would ask those questions in particular.)

Still doesn't mean it's cool. Or not a competition car, which I thought a lot of you weren't gonna vote on.

They simply didn't want any more nominations of that nature - doesn't mean they don't have an opinion on race cars, just that their opinion of said race cars would be largely the same most of the time.

I also think the F50 GT gets away with it a little bit because it wasn't actually raced. It sort of goes in the rare category more than the race cars, because it isn't suriving on popularity from any kind of race results or famous accidents or whatever, just on its rarity.
To me its more of an FXX kind of car (another car I find rather hideous and another uncool Ferrari in my opinion).

Back