phaeton.jpg

Specs:
Engines - 5998cc DOHC 48-valve W12
Layout - AWD
Transmission - 5-speed automatic
Power - 444 HP @ 6050 RPM
Torque - 413 lb-ft @ 2750 RPM
Curb weight - 5399 lb
Zero to 60 mph - 5.5 sec (USDM model with 420 HP, 406 lb-ft)
Standing 1/4-mile - 14.0 sec @ 101 MPH (USDM model with 420 HP, 406 lb-ft)
Price - $96,100

As cool as you can get without being sub-zero. I was gonna buy one at a price too good to pass up, but it was probably a scam.

Absolutely, positively, astoundingly Sub-Zero. What happens when you absolutely do not care about whether or not your car makes any money. Built during Piëch's "Profit? What's that?" phase of running the company that also brought us the Veyron. Absolutely no expense spared, leading to the creation of the car that the S-Class never should have stopped being. The absolute best luxury car money could buy without going into Roller-dollars, and engineered to perfection.
The coolest and best part? You could own one today for the cost of a single yuppie-mobile Camry Hybrid.

Last edited:
Bland styling prevents an otherwise complete sub-zero. Pity it never got the attention it deserved in the states.

Cheers,
Jetboy

I'm with Omnis on "as close to sub-zero as you can get as cool" vote and for Toronado's reasons. Dehumidifier built in? I wish my old car had one so none of the girls I had in my backseat could pull the stupid Titanic move and laugh like they were the first one too do it. :rolleyes:

It's so awesomely german and overengineered. VW did not care at all about how much money they spent on the ridiculous gizmos. :)

Absolutely sub-zero. I always want one so badly whenever I see one for sale.

I don't get who's voting for it though. I was under the impression that only VW fans were allowed to not think it was hideous. So Brad and I account for only two votes... :confused:

Oh, and:

Sub Zero. A very near-perfect luxury car objectively, yet because it's a VW you can drive through dodgy areas without people throwing bricks at you for flaunting your wealth...

Seriously uncool. You'd get fed up having to explain what a W12 is...

Not to mention explaining why you DIDN'T spend the extra dosh for the Bentley Continental GT.

I take uncool for $200 thanks Alex. :P

Not to mention explaining why you DIDN'T spend the extra dosh for the Bentley Continental GT.

I know how cheaply the Conti is built. I know that the gearbox has a Skoda casting on it.

If anything, people should be explaining why they didn't save some money and buy a top-spec Phaeton, spending the remainder on booze.

No you wouldn't, because nobody would ask. Car people would know already, and non-car people wouldn't care in the first place...

I really never really liked uberlux cars like this, the 7, the S, the A8 and the *gulp* LS.

I mean, sure, it does some great stuff, has wonderful little gimmicks like a dehumidifier, but, ultimately, even if you hold the steering wheel in your hands, you ride in it. You can go on and on about the fact that it's basically the "best car in the world this side of a Rolls-Royce," and the fact that it's a "Volkswagen that sticks it to Mercedes," But, ultimately, I go into "I don't care, it's a sluggish, heavy limo, designed to remove its driver from the outside world."

factor in that my seething hate for Audi and SEAT is slowly seeping like a poison into VW, (Skoda is at least humble, and Lambo is still pretty Italian,) I can't possibly give it a cool. Saved from seriously uncool by being the least assuming vehicle in it's class. S-class is gaudy, 7 is still wierd, LS is just snooty, and A8 is an Audi.

I know how cheaply the Conti is built. I know that the gearbox has a Skoda casting on it.

If anything, people should be explaining why they didn't save some money and buy a top-spec Phaeton, spending the remainder on booze.

And questionable women to help test out the dehumidifier in the backseat! :dopey:

But, ultimately, I go into "I don't care, it's a sluggish, heavy limo, designed to remove its driver from the outside world."

You speak the truth, but then sometimes there is great appeal to driving something big, squashy and quiet with bucketfuls of torque. Such as wet, windy, late-night drives home, stuck in traffic and roadworks in the middle of nowhere. Or even if your day job involves travelling hundreds of miles a day between meetings. It's what these cars excel at.

And essentially, it's why I think the Phaeton is cool. It's a car that doesn't need the big badge and the £100k pricetag to give you everything you need from a luxury car.

The only trouble for the Phaeton is that apparently the Skoda Superb does the same again (space, comfort, kit, quietness etc) for even less money, though obviously you have to take a bit of a performance hit.

Absolutely, positively, astoundingly Sub-Zero. What happens when you absolutely do not care about whether or not your car makes any money. Built during Piëch's "Profit? What's that?" phase of running the company that also brought us the Veyron. Absolutely no expense spared, leading to the creation of the car that the S-Class never should have stopped being. The absolute best luxury car money could buy without going into Roller-dollars, and engineered to perfection.
The coolest and best part? You could own one today for the cost of a single yuppie-mobile Camry Hybrid.
Related, & imo, I think pretty much anything Piech has built in his time is sub-zero or at least cool.

He just seems to have this knack for building excessive cars, cars that are just there to show off what they can do even if they don't bring in any profits.
Bland styling prevents an otherwise complete sub-zero. Pity it never got the attention it deserved in the states.

Cheers,
Jetboy
Can you blame us? When it came here, it was over $70,000, $90K+ for a fully loaded one. People with that kind of money weren't looking at Volkswagen, they were looking at the other 3 Germans, and those who were looking at Volkswagen weren't looking for a $70K+ car.

If I remember right, I think the cheapest Phaeton ($64,000) was around $15-20K more than the second most expensive VW with all options.

Bland styling prevents an otherwise complete sub-zero.

What's wrong with the bland styling? I think it looks awesome. VW managed to make a car that accomplishes everything it needs to without going over the top or looking bad. It just looks so German.

Can you blame us? When it came here, it was over $70,000, $90K+ for a fully loaded one. People with that kind of money weren't looking at Volkswagen, they were looking at the other 3 Germans, and those who were looking at Volkswagen weren't looking for a $70K+ car.

It also means that you can find them for $30k these days, which helps the awesome. Maybe I'll have to purchase one of these sometime...

Finding one for $30K doesn't detract from the fact that parts are going to be relatively expensive;
1) It's German.
2) It's originally $70,000.
3) It's a Volkswagen, so it's bound to have a nasty issue or so.

So? That's typical VW ownership. If I had the money, I wouldn't mind spending a good amount on repairs to own one. But I need a job for that to happen.

GM
Sub-Zero becuase I've always found cars that no one buys to be pretty cool.

:lol:

That should have made my vote.

Still... just uncool. Saved from being seriously so because it's a very, very good car... but it's still a limo... and limos are on my uncool list unless they do something else very well.

So? That's typical VW ownership. If I had the money, I wouldn't mind spending a good amount on repairs to own one. But I need a job for that to happen.
You'd be stupid to do that, considering that it's unlikely used Phaeton owners will ever recoup the money they made for them unlike other VWs.

You'd be stupid to do that, considering that it's unlikely used Phaeton owners will ever recoup the money they made for them unlike other VWs.

By having the money, I mean having a good steady income. It's going to be an expensive car to own and pretty unnecessary so you'd have to have quite a bit of disposable income to spend on a 'lifestyle' car that's just awesome to own. Me? I think the car is awesome so I'd be willing to put a bunch of 'fun' money toward the car, because I'd love owning one I think. But I'm also a VW guy so yeah...

I vaccilated between SubZero and Cool and finally decided that the stealth factor made it SubZero.

You could mistake one for a Passat. It's an S Class VW that looks like a VW. And it will haul arse if you need it to.

I like this car, I even was at the factory in Dresden where they make it with state-of-the-art techniques and drove it on a simulator (The car had a humongous screen in front of it, was on a moving platform, and the screen responded to the car inputs. It was good fun driving...and making my sister scream). I got really fond of it.

However, rules are rules. And according to mine, 6 pros and 3 cons make a total of 66.6% = Uncool.

But I still love it <3

Back