Layout - F
Transmission - No-speed manual
Power - 35 bhp @ 3400 rpm
Torque - ?
Curb weight - 550 lb
Zero to 60 mph - Yes.
Standing 1/4-mile - Eventually
Price - Several Old-Timey Dollars​

This is the kind of stuff that the Cool Wall was designed to task.
Sub-Zero. Lets see the EU modify that for pedestrian safety standards.

Seriously, though, I had a lot of fun looking up the info for this quirky little thing. I've always found pre-Prohibition cars fascinating, because it shows just how much people with a vision were willing to tinker even as the Model T sold in the millions. The innovation is something that has simply never been seen since, and the near-simultaneous start of the aircraft and motorcycle industries at around the same time led to some wonderful creations between the three.

Sub-Zero.

Strap on your Red Barron goggles and scarf. Fuel mix to rich and set the prop to spinning.

Pro's-
Road kill is nicely minced up for the scavengers.
Build your own wings and fly over traffic. :lol:
It has a propeller.
No need for air conditioning in the summer.

I say Sub-Zero because I've never seen anything like it. Sure it's not pretty, but what other cars have props? Is it a car? There may be some, but I don't feel like looking for them. Very unique.

That thing is the ultimate darwin sorting machine, designed to maim small children who are dumb enough to run infront of it.

Automatic sub-zero. :cool:

Sub-zero, if only for the croquet clubs to clear snivelling peasants out of the way. Whatto!

LSX
I say Sub-Zero because I've never seen anything like it. Sure it's not pretty, but what other cars have props? Is it a car?
I dunno about anyone else who might have made one, but there were about 30 Leyat Helicas made and the one in the OP is the only one left that runs. It shows up at Goodwood from time to time.

Wow, I bet that car is worth more than half the cars combined that show up to the event then. :D Maybe not, but it's got to be priceless.

LSX
I say Sub-Zero because I've never seen anything like it. Sure it's not pretty, but what other cars have props? Is it a car? There may be some, but I don't feel like looking for them. Very unique.

There have been a few. A couple of examples are the Sizaire-Berwick Wind Wagon and the Auto Aero.

Maybach also made one called the Maybach Experimental.

M-A-D. Nil said, no rules needed, Lord Kelvin's ice box.

It's sooooooo unlike everything else and it's retro-tastic so everybody will love it, and it's technology-wise interesting to us car people. Very Loony, Very Freezy. Dang, lets just say it's a freaking iceberg.

Apart from looking like an extra from a Georges Méliès film, it's a vintage car so automatically seriously uncool. You just can't drive a vintage car without looking a pillock.

Apart from looking like an extra from a Georges Méliès film, it's a vintage car so automatically seriously uncool. You just can't drive a vintage car without looking a pillock.

That's debatable.

Especially when we're talking about something that's more akin to a vintage airplane without wings.

-

Deserves the icebox. A car that's so dangerously sub-zero it would never be made today.

That's debatable.

Especially when we're talking about something that's more akin to a vintage airplane without wings.

-

Deserves the icebox. A car that's so dangerously sub-zero it would never be made today.

Or an idea so stupid it deserves locking up in a padded room.

Its merely a toy - but its awsome. Has a hint of steam punk about it, even though there's no steam.

+1 for the steam punk reference! I love all things steam punk and this car really does have the feel of it. If I saw thing somewhere I would instantly think it was cool.

It's completely built wrong. It's a mad scientists' experiment. It's the result of mankind not knowing enough about science at the time. it's history. It's borne out of a love of flight. it's Front-engine, no-wheel-thrusted-drive, 5-foot ducted prop transmission. It only has front brakes. It has true dual exhaust...and upswept dragster headers. It's aircooled. it's rear-wheel-steer, looks like. You probably steer with your feet, like in an airplane while taxiing. and the throttle in your right hand. Too bad there's no stick to pitch or roll.

It's aerodynamically shaped. It probably has a better cd than a Prius. It has gas headlamps. and taillamps. The name is almost "Lylat," which is the star system Star Fox takes place in.

It's completely and utterly mad.

Icebox.

*innocently* does this mean you look like a pillock every time you go out in your LoCort?

EDIT: here's a replica. rear wheels do steer.

Last edited:
I find it to be not ugly, but horrible. Plus, I would likely see it being driven by an old man. And I don't find old men cool. Seriously Uncool.

*innocently* does this mean you look like a pillock every time you go out in your LoCort?

Yes.

But not because it's a 'vintage' car, it's not, it's a 'classic'. Vintage, in Europe at least, usually refers to pre-war cars. ;)

I find it to be not ugly, but horrible. Plus, I would likely see it being driven by an old man. And I don't find old men cool. Seriously Uncool.

You wouldn't see it being driven at all, I don't think there is any place that would allow you to drive that down the road.

Cool. Given that you'll never see one on the road it transcends simply being completely daft and turns into the sort of awesome oddity that you spend ages pouring over at a car show. And when there's so much to look at at car shows, something genuinely different that sticks in your mind afterwards is definitely cool.

Only avoids being Sub-Z because it can't actually fly...

Sub zero. Give one to Jay Leno and he'll fit a 1710ci RR Merlin into it. then it WILL fly.

Back