Maybe it's time for PD to branch out

  • Thread starter Thread starter P3nT4gR4m
  • 43 comments
  • 3,013 views
Messages
1,660
Messages
P3nT4gR4m666
The ongoing debates on this forum about WRC, IRL, Nascar, etc.. have got me thinking.

Maybe it's time for PD to drop this - one size fits all - malarkey and add a couple more titles to it's belt. They obviously have signed license agreements to include these logos in GT but many of us, myself included aren't nearly as interested in playing them as the old faithful production and race tuned road cars that gave the franchise it's name.

Even people who are fans of these driving sports would surely benefit from a stand-alone title dedicated to each one, with all the cars and all the tracks from them on one title. For PD it aint a great deal of work, compared to the inevitable cash returns, the engine is the same, only the 3d assets and menus need to be worked on to complete the titles and everyone gets what they want and aint paying for an increasing proportion of game that they won't play.

I mean if there's 20 tracks in the final game and even 5 of them are ovals and dirt tracks that's 25% of my money going on stuff that I don't want and that kinda rankles. I'd rather have 20 road tracks and, by the same token, I'm pretty sure the Nascar fanatics would rather have 20 ovals or the WRC contingent 20 mudpits.

Just throwing this out there to see what angles I haven't considered :sly:
 
So each title takes 3-4 years in development which will in turn add to the time in between releases for each individual game? No thanks.
 
All games would be developed at the same time. You would just put different cars and tracks in each game. Either way, very dumb idea. Why pay for 5 different games when one can do it all?
 
I developed a theory shortly after NASCAR was announced.

Sony is planning on making a stand-alone NASCAR game using the GT5 engine but developed by an American studio. They are just using GT5 to show their version of NASCAR and gain a few more customers before they release it.
 
So each title takes 3-4 years in development which will in turn add to the time in between releases for each individual game? No thanks.

Not necessarily so. All the coding and engine development will be cross title so it's a case of taking on some more modelers and art guys and get them grafting on the assets. The increased revenue from having another couple of titles to sell will pay their wages. Meanwhile the rest of the team are no busier doing the stuff they've always been doing, tweaking the physics and handling and developing new and improved damage and day/night cycles the like.
 
Last edited:
We have 5 for the price of 1 and you're asking if I want for 5 for the price of 5? No thanks.
 
All games would be developed at the same time. You would just put different cars and tracks in each game. Either way, very dumb idea. Why pay for 5 different games when one can do it all?

IMO one can't do it all. The more uninteresting (to me) stuff in there the less I'm getting for my bucks
 
I think that would be great. As you stated, it wouldnt be that hard. I think dedicated games to the licensers would be a smart decision. I remember playing a WRC game and every rally and car manufacturer in WRC was represented. I had fun with it. Im sure PD could pull that off easily.
 
We have 5 for the price of 1 and you're asking if I want for 5 for the price of 5? No thanks.

Think of it this way - you're not getting 5 for the price of one, you're getting 5 5ths of each for the price of one.
 
Three big problems, firstly from a consumers point of view you then have 3 or more titles to buy instead of one. Secondly, time, for PD to make a game dedicated to each of thoes series would take a lot longer than to simply integrate the licenses into the Gran Turismo franchise. Thirdly the licensing itself, who's to say PD will have any of these licenses beyond or for addition use to GT5, so that means if they are allowed to use the licenses in other titiles that we're likely only going to get a small selection of one off games. Additionaly when a race series wants a dedicated game the license is usually agreed for such a purpose uring the licensing process. PD have negotiated to represent thoes race series within the Gran Turismo 5 game, WRC will love this as will NASCAR because not only can they be represented in a great series like GT5 but they still have the option (and I think they both are/will) of having a game dedicated to their respective series.
 
Maybe it's time for PD to branch out

No it should be:

Maybe it's time for PD to get the game out

Ahh much better.
 
Just throwing this out there to see what angles I haven't considered :sly:
The angle that some of us do enjoy the encyclopedia of cars angle that GT has been going for since the beginning.

I can, and have, play career mode oriented games for individual series/leagues. Would it be more awesome made by PD, or at least running on a GT engine? Yes. Would I choose to buy four or five different games at $60 a pop over the traditional GT all-inclusive game that I have loved for a decade now? No.
 
Think of it this way - you're not getting 5 for the price of one, you're getting 5 5ths of each for the price of one.

Why think of it that way when it isn't the case? You won't get more of one thing if they do it your way, you'll get the same amount of the one thing, minus the 4 other things.
 
I've always thought that when you try to "be all things to everybody", you can't help but have a dilutted experience. I tend to like the idea as long as the games have a normal development and release time frame. I say this primarily because there hasn't been a good NASCAR game in 10 years (EA ruined the francise as far as I'm concerned) and Formula1 games here in the States come about every decade now. There hasn't been a single American open wheel racing game made yet for PS3 :nervous:

I enjoy doing a full season of any series that uses all the tracks for that series, whether it's F1, Nascar or whatever. We will never have that with GT, only a sampling :nervous:

Most of the objections I see here are based purely on monetary policy ..... some are simply not able to afford multiple games. Maybe if they stopped buying those dumb fighting games :) and focused on racing, they would find the full game experience more rewarding. I would buy any good racing game no matter what the cost :)
 
Last edited:
The angle that some of us do enjoy the encyclopedia of cars angle that GT has been going for since the beginning.

I can, and have, play career mode oriented games for individual series/leagues. Would it be more awesome made by PD, or at least running on a GT engine? Yes. Would I choose to buy four or five different games at $60 a pop over the traditional GT all-inclusive game that I have loved for a decade now? No.

Okay this is a good point. How about if they kept GT to the mishmash version and released something like "GT-Pure" which was only GT and a twice the amount of road courses and cars to replace the rally and oval ones?
 
The thing is this: Instead of one game with over 1000 cars we'd have 5 games, one with 80 cars, one with 600 cars (The GT release), one with 30 cars and so on... All this while paying 300 dlls for all five games, instead of paying 60 dlls for the big, definitive release even if you don't like all championships/motorsports included. Not a good idea, frankly.

I know that if there were 5 separate games not everyone would buy all of them but you'd still be paying two or more games when you could be buying just one.
 
Why think of it that way when it isn't the case? You won't get more of one thing if they do it your way, you'll get the same amount of the one thing, minus the 4 other things.

Not exactly, that's more what I'm getting at present, given that I won't play the 4 other things. Each and every car and track in the WRC or Nascar sections represents one less car and track that I'm going to want to play.
 
How about if they kept GT to the mishmash version and released something like "GT-Pure" which was only GT and a twice the amount of road courses and cars to replace the rally and oval ones?
So, is your issue just that there are ovals and rally tracks?

It seems to me that you have this thought that Gran Turismo was supposed to be a Grand Touring racing game, when that was never the stated goal.
 
Yeah. That's about it. Ever the dumbass, me I went with the name on the box. That and the original version and all the others since. We've had rally for a while now but with the new stuff it's starting to really encroach.
 
We'll see what these official licenses will mean, but if they don't include realistic rallys now (point-point etc.) they've wasted the money.

But in general, I like GT to have all these different directions. Maybe in GT5 it will not be yet perfect, but I have high hopes for GT6 to improve on this sector 👍
 
I suppose I'll just quote myself.

I agree with shady. The dream of Kazunori sensei has always been to encompass everything from automotive and motorsport history into Gran Turismo. What you call "playing catch up," he considers unfinished work. He's never going to stop, so maybe it's time to find another game to ride into the sunset if you disagree...
 
So, is your issue just that there are ovals and rally tracks?

It seems to me that you have this thought that Gran Turismo was supposed to be a Grand Touring racing game, when that was never the stated goal.
You're right, the goal for Gran Turismo and this came from Kaz himself was to include as diverse a selection of road and race cars and disciplines as possible in one game. The ultimate vision was to include everything, that can't and won't happen, but that's the vision. Including NASCAR, WRC and IRL is making the game more diverse. Removing these different types of racing and cars form the game is taking the game away from that vision.
 
Not exactly, that's more what I'm getting at present, given that I won't play the 4 other things. Each and every car and track in the WRC or Nascar sections represents one less car and track that I'm going to want to play.

I see, so pretty much because you don't play those cars/tracks, no one else does either? You don't want them so others should pay extra to get them?
 
You got me - that's about the long and short of it :O
 
That's a bit narrow minded though isn't it? And you think everyone else that will use thoes cars and enjoy them should have to buy a seperate game for each series because of this? If PD had thoes licenses but was making seperate games for them to GT, if anything it would mean we not only get GT5 as GT5 minus thoes licenses but in all likelyhood because they would then need more time to model whole series worth or car and track content for each new game we might even get less of everything else besides thoes in GT5 itself. You really haven't though this through, just because you don't like thoes cars, tracks or race discliplines doesn't mean they shouldn't be in GT5. There are GT fans that don't like the Kei cars, GT fans that don't like the muscle cars and GT fans that don't like the rally cars, none of that means they should be there. If you took away every car or race style that wasn't unaminousely liked by every GT fan then you'd probably be left with absolutely zero cars.
 
^^ Hey, maybe you'll change your mind once the game is out actually.
Oval racing is awesome, when done correctly, same goes for rally IMO. ;)
 
Yeah. That's about it. Ever the dumbass, me I went with the name on the box. That and the original version and all the others since. We've had rally for a while now but with the new stuff it's starting to really encroach.
Even the original title had more than just grand tourers.

https://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_1_:_Car_List

I highly doubt the Subaru Impreza Rally Edition fits your vision of what the game should be. And I know that if I had gone in expecting a game featuring grand tourers and/or Grand Touring racing classes the inclusion of station wagons, and just maybe things like the Demio, would have made me rethink that right quick.

Had that not done it though I am sure that I would have realized my error the moment I saw GT2 with its rally races and oddities, like the Espace F1.

Of course, the final thing that would have pointed my mind in the right direction would have been when Kazunori Yamauchi said that he wanted Gran Turismo to be a virtual encyclopedia of cars.
 
The cars don't bother me as much TBH, I'm pretty much sound with the Ford GT, GT40 and maybe the Dodge Viper and a couple of Beemers. The tracks issue is bigger with me. I want as many as they can squeeze in there, every oval or dirt track is that ideal "many" figure minus 1.

I guess I'll just cross my fingers they release new tracks as DLC, since preliminary market research indicates the dedicated WRC and Nascar titles would bomb
 
Hell no, I would not buy seperate releases I would only buy GT and I know that I will get a lot of enjoyment out of WRC, NASCAR, IRL within gran turismo, as well as enjoyment of Le Mans, Super GT, Touring cars, and the GT1-4 series hoping that last one is included..

This isn't turning into Toca 3, we have had multiple ovals and rally tracks since GT2, we've had rally since GT2, F1 since GT3, Le Mans, touring cars, etc.

If GT dropped all of these racing types I would just stick with PC racing sims.. would not buy the seperate racing titles, and probably not even GT since what you are asking for is basically to just have production cars in the game.. big no.

Also you do know there will be more than 20 courses right...?
 
Last edited:
To the OP. Did you ever think that maybe it is time for YOU to "branch out" and not GT? You could sell your PS3 and go buy a different system and a different game and then maybe you would be happy. KY has stated where he wants his baby to go from here and it is in a direction that YOU don't like so it is obvious to me(and to alot of members here) that it is indeed time for you to go shopping for something YOU will enjoy more, maybe a computer game instead of a console game. I love the GT series and love where it is going. I think the long wait is just getting to you, and now you are sitting around trying to find reasons why the greatest game ever made just isn't your cup of tea anymore.
 
Back