Transmission - 7-speed sequential-manual / 6-speed manual
Power - 507 HP @ 7750 RPM
Torque - 383 lb-ft @ 6100 RPM
Curb weight - 4066 lbs
Zero to 60 mph - 4.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile - 12.9 sec @ 114.9 mph
Price - $85,595

Subzero

I've always had a soft spot for the 5 series and I love how BMW kept the M5 very stock appearing, makes this thing a pretty good sleeper until somebody sees the ///M badges or hears the roar of the V10.

-> A very capable big sedan. Power, sophistication, and complexity. But unfortunately, even with the 6M/T option (for US buyers). I just can't get excited about the E60 M5. :indiff:

-> If its the E39 M5, now thats a different story. 👍

*I voted UNCOOL*

Cool.

It's a saloon.
It's a V10 saloon.
It's a large V10 saloon.
It's a large, fast V10 saloon.
It's a large, fast V10 saloon that's quicker than pretty much anything you're likely to see on the road.

Quarters in 12.9 at 115mph - for a car that size, those figures are ridiculous. Plus it's not exactly ugly.

I'd totally buy one, ergo cool. Now, if we were voting on the M5 Touring... S-Z.

Cool, the only thing keeping it from subzero is there isn't much difference visually between this and the spray tan house wive version(aka normal 5 Series).

Eh, uncool. It's a little too geeky, combined with a little too heavy, and not enough character. It's barely uncool, but it's how I feel.

For cars like the CTS-V, it's heavy, yes, but it's got character, and it feels like a muscle car, same with the Aussie cars. I think the older BMWs are cool in spades though, so don't call me out on favoritism.

Uncool. Attracts the same crowd as M3s, doesn't sound great, (I know someone's gonna post a vid to that, I'm just gonna say I still don't like it,) and, really, the whole package is kind of an overall letdown after the E39. I liked the big, V8 BMW bruiser. I missed it.

Awesome car, in my opinion. It carries the M badge, a V10 engine, and Formula One inspired engine and transmission controls. That enough makes it Sub-Zero to me. :D

I don't agree it attracts the same crowd... but I do agree about the sound. It's hard edged, manic... but not quite as characterful as the older V8 or the V8 (or even the good old 3.2 straight 6) in the M3.

Blame it on marketing synergies with F1. I've always thought the scramble to develop powerful V10s in favor of big V8s or creamy V12s by manufacturers involved in F1 was utterly stupid... even if the engines themselves are technical marvels.

I've ridden the car. Utterly smitten by the way it drives... but it's not as much of an occassion as an M3, doesn't sound as good, and the looks are dubious.

The M6 would have gotten an uncool from me, even if it's a better car. The M5 gets cool, bordering on subzero... a definite subzero if it's the touring model.

It's a large, fast V10 saloon that's quicker than pretty much anything you're likely to see on the road.

Hey, hey forgetting the CTS-V. :sly:

Anyway, it's still an awesome luxury saloon with a big V10. I'd drive one for sure.:drool:

Cool.

Cool.

Big power in a subtle sedan that makes you look like a modern day gangster. The older model gets sub-zero, but the styling has never sat right with me on this one, plus like it was said already, not much different looks wise from the rest of the 5 series.

Cool.

Not much different looks wise from the rest of the 5 series.

This is something that I really hate about the 5-series.
You think you see a M5, just a 530i.
It's very hard to spot someone with a M5 because you look away when it seems like a regular 5-series.

Cool car, not below zero because it's not an E39. Most V10's IMO sound bad, in a bad way, this being one of them. I'd still be happy to own it though, but I'd just rather have an E39 even though outwardly, an E39 would be viewed as less cool by someone who does not care about cars because it's old(er).

If it were't for the facts that they are generally driven by tossers who have no idea of the potential of the car, have i-Drive and rarely get driven how they should, it would be sub-zero. Unfortunately that's enough for me to make it fall into the seriously uncool category. Previous two gens of M5 don't suffer from any of the above.

-> ...
For cars like the CTS-V, it's heavy, yes, but it's got character, and it feels like a muscle car, same with the Aussie cars. I think the older BMWs are cool in spades though, so don't call me out on favoritism.
^ Yup I agree on the CTS-V, or even better the best Pontiac ever made, the G8 GXP (on which I would rather have).

On older BMW's-> Touche! Older Bimmer's are far more better. They have that distinct charm that the newest and latest simply could'nt match at all. The last Cool to Sub-zero Bimmer's in my book are...

...this...
E46M3coupeexterior.jpg

&

...these...
p0029087.jpg

:indiff:

Cool. It's a BMW M car, that automatically gets a minimum of cool. However, the previous M5 was subzero. iDrive and no 6spd manual only option kills it all by itself. Can never be subzero with iDrive and not "sure you can have any transmission you like as long as its a 6spd manual". :D

For me, 5 series as a whole are S-Z.

I have a few friends who had E39s with the M package, and they were all legends. I have another who was juuuust about to get an E60 M5 (had his name down, but another dealership sadly sold it first) and he is also a legend.

S-Z

Cool. Bordering on "meh."

Eclipsed by its antecedent, the seminal BMW E39 M5, which is absolutely beyond subzero; firmly in Lord Kelvin's icebox. Probably the best sedan in the world ever, and that's a hard act to follow.

This one just doesn't get out of the shadow of its predecessor enough.

Sub-Zero!!

My username and avatar says it all. The performance is amazing despite the weight it has, the looks is just sexy IMO and the steering is awesome!!! Though some of the features in this car really is a let down like the complicated i-Drive system, non-fully disengaged Traction Control in 6MT and the weight but it doesn't really kill the rest of the car...

The E39 is no doubt the most amazing, beyond S-Z and waaaaay sexier than this, but you can't resist of the performance that the E60 offers with the F1 inspired N/A V10 507HP with a rev up to 8k RPM.

I am eagerly waiting for the F10 M5 which BMW claims to be the fastest M5 ever made. Curious about the styling though :P.

Just scrapes cool because its a big V10 200+mph(De-restricted) car that can handle corners. But it's from the Bangle era which means ugly and is also a BMW from the era I don't like.:yuck: Plus it looks basically the same as any other 5 series M sport to the average person. The E39 is my favourite M5.👍

Uncool, because it's got some really cool parts but the car itself is just meh to me.

Back