Production 1982–1993, 1,874,668 built

Assembly
Bremen, Germany; Sindelfingen, Germany

Body style(s)
4-door saloon

Layout
FR layout

Engine(s)
1.8L 8v I4 - 2.0L 8v I4 - 2.3L 8v I4 - 2.3L 16v I4 - 2.5L 16v I4 - 2.6L I6 - Diesel 2.0L - 2.5L Non-Turbo - Diesel 2.5L Turbo

Transmission(s)
4-speed automatic - 4-speed manual - 5-speed manual

Wheelbase
104.9 in (2664 mm)

Length
175.1 in (4448 mm); 1988-1990 Base: 175.0 in (4445 mm)

Width
1988-1990: 66.1 in (1679 mm); 1991-93: 66.5 in (1689 mm)

Height
1988-1990: 54.7 in (1389 mm); 1991-93: 54.1 in (1374 mm)

(P.S. If you're wondering why I'm putting this up instead of Toronado, see the nomination thread.)

I agree with SVX here. However, it came with so many different options to where you could do whatever you wanted with it, pretty much. The versatility of this car squeaks it by into cool.

Cool. Classy, good enough looks, and it's old enough that driving one around nowadays eliminates any pretentiousness of driving an MB.

The model lineup as a whole as depicted in the poll is just uncool. Is it a great reliable car yes, is it cool no. The hot sport models are but the other models are definitely NOT.

Uncool.

If it was the Cosworth version then it would've got close to sub-zero, but like the others this is a German barge for people who can't afford to get a bigger/better German barge. :cool:

Uncool.

Not really sure how to judge this since it's just the chassis we are voting on. That is enough for me to vote uncool.

SubZero

Anybody else care to post a typical 1982 model from any other brand for comparisons sake. The styling is at once clearly 1980s but also elegant and timeless. Very few cars can pull that off. The W124, the W126, the Rover SD1, are 3 examples I can think of of a very small number.

Introduced the 5 link rear suspension that Mercedes still uses a variation of today. Overbuilt in that typical Mercedes way of that era, and introducing Mercedes to a whole new class of car at the same time; Mercedes had never made a car that small, or catered to that market. This was Mercedes' most technologically advanced car until the W124 debuted in 1984 as an 85 model. Widespread use of high strength steels throughout. You could say that this is the car that made the E30 BMW 3 series less spartan and slightly more cohesive and a little more opulent. Which was a very good thing, if you consider the E21 that came before it.

Definitely one of the coolest cars of all time. A game changer.

SubZero

Anybody else care to post a typical 1982 model from any other brand for comparisons sake.

0612_sccp_03z+mitsubishi_starion+right_front_view.jpg

Well, I guess not exactly, but the point stands. I don't really care for the 190, even with how good it is underneath, it's not particularly good or astounding to look at, and it seems a little dull, at least from this side of the screen.

Uncool. Dull midsize saloon. Even the hot version (not nominated here) was only at best the 3rd best car in it's class.

2 remarks on this one.

1) I actually saw some good modification jobs of this model.
2) Local saying is "Do you still have sex or do you drive a Mercedes"
= this kind of Mercedes gets associated with 50 year old pig farmers that have paid off their loans and offer themselves a Luxury car. A bit unjust I find, but stated uncool.

P.S.: New company car policy makes that I will get my Mercedes C-Class May 2010. I'll have to hide it from the women!

JCE
The model lineup as a whole as depicted in the poll is just uncool. Is it a great reliable car yes, is it cool no. The hot sport models are but the other models are definitely NOT.

This. Uncool.

Gone for cool, on balance. One of the last properly dependable Mercs before technology took over, solid, classic styling, and of course the Cosworth versions. Racing pedigree too in the DTM.

A proliferation of German diesel airport taxis isn't enough to drag it to uncool.

Only the current C-Class has finally surpassed it as the definitive small Mercedes saloon, and it took them fourteen years to do it.

Im living in germany right now and Im picking up a 2.3 16v "cosworth" as my new daily driver/ beat to piss out of it, on the 'ring'. Should get the car later this week. Ive been waiting for this same car for aroun 6 months now. 'bout frick'n time!

Uncool for me.

No doubt they're well built, solid etc etc. BUT, with the exception of the Cosworths/EVOs, they're...boring. To me anyways. I'd own one without any hesitation, but coolness doesn't factor into that decision.

Versatile, and reliable. There's no doubt there. But this is pretty much the most common Mercedes I see around my parts.

UNCOOL

Uncool, it looks pretty boring and bland and there is a guy in my neighborhood that own one and it feels like he owns it just to say that he drives a benz.

EDIT: I like to see that the cool wall is up and running again, I was starting to miss it. :D

Uncool simply because the car never really made my eyes widen and because there are too many cars in the cool section that are more boring than this

Cool.

The box shape appeals to me and it was one of the first cars I remember seeing in person as a kid that screamed luxury. Plus, it was Shynes first car..."my first car? a 190 Benz with Louis Vutton seats"...now thats gangsta.

Back