TheBook

Literary Member
Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
Mercedes SLR Uhlenhaut Coupé

1955Mercedes-Benz300SLRUhlenhautCou.jpg

Engine: Type M 196 S, Twin Spark Inline-8 w/Dry Sump Lubrication, Front Longitudinal, 53 Degree Inclination To The Right
Power: 231.2 kw / 310.0 bhp @ 7400 rpm
Speed: 284 kph / 176.5 mph
Torque: 317 nm / 233.8 ft lbs @ 5950 rpm
Redline: 7800 R.P.M.
Body/Frame: Elektron Body over Steel Tubular Space Frame
Drive Type: RWD
Weight: 1117 kg / 2463 lbs
Transmission: Rear Mounted 5-Speed Manual

I'm going to try something new starting this week; the "meh" vote will become an option. This is for the people who aren't swayed one way or the other, but still want their voices to be counted. There will not be a new section of the wall for "meh" cars. If the highest number of votes does fall in this category, I will use the category with the second most to determine the classification.

Last edited:
Someone tell me why this is voted as anything but sub-zero

They accidentally clicked Cool instead of Subzero, or, they had a muscle spasm and that caused them to click the wrong option. Yea that's it. :D

If it had been a Merc 300SL it would have been cool or even sub-zero. But it's a race car so as usual can't be rated the same way.

I'm making use of the "meh" option.

As Cracker said, it's a race car, so it's hard to vote cool or uncool on normal criteria. All race cars are equally cool and uncool.

It's also not that pretty. The regular 300SL has never floated my boat styling-wise (I'd still like to own one, but it would be by no means the prettiest car in my collection) so a racing one with slightly odd proportions and a bloody awful exhaust sticking out the size is even less pretty.

Likewise, I simply don't care about it. I too must mimic The Cheat on this one, especially considering I've never heard of it.

All knee-down in awe in presence of history!

Sub-zero (although that isn't strong enough to express this car's cool-factor).

It's the first time I've ever poked my head into the cool walls, but I think I will stick around and comment/vote from now on.

Anyway, what better week to start than my favourite Mercedes-Benz? I just have to say sub-zero. Have to.

I'm making use of the "meh" option.

As Cracker said, it's a race car, so it's hard to vote cool or uncool on normal criteria. All race cars are equally cool and uncool.

It's also not that pretty. The regular 300SL has never floated my boat styling-wise (I'd still like to own one, but it would be by no means the prettiest car in my collection) so a racing one with slightly odd proportions and a bloody awful exhaust sticking out the size is even less pretty.

Well, technically this is hybrid between the SLR and the SL. And it is road-legal. But I do understand you point. To each his own.

The exhaust (suitcase-like device) in the picture is in order to not get pulled over for disturbing the peace, I think it looks better without it of course. I kind of like the unfinished aspect to the exhaust. Simplicity.

1955Mercedes-Benz300SLRUhlenhautCou.jpg

Methinks we should replace the top picture with that one. Methinks we should do it now.

Subzero. Didn't even have to open the thread to decide.

A Gullwing Merc is already pretty cool, even with the dodgy swing axles and the stupidly compromised ingress/egress.

Now add the word Uhlenhaut to the name.

You don't even have to see the car... just say it: Uhlenhaut. Sounds like it could rip your arms off and club you to death with them. Subzero, just for the name.

Then you look and see that it's basically an unmuffled SLR... so it can cause you to bleed to death from your broken eardrums. You won't be able to staunch the bleeding with those useless stumps where your arms used to be. I don't even have to hear it to know that that inline-8 with uncorked straight pipes will sound like Armageddon.

Deserves the icebox.

I now know where the side exhaust on the modern SLR are from.

BTW this is sub-zero and if you vote anything else Chuck Norris will come down at your house and kick your ass.

While I haven't decided how to vote on this car, I want to applaud the addition of the "meh". A neutral option was long needed in this series.

M

I don't really think this car is as good looking as the 300SL, but given the race history...

Aww hell. Why not?

LORD KELVIN'S ICE BOX

Girls will think you're James Bond. Kids will think you're Superman dressed up as James Bond and men around the world will think you're the classiest professional poon slammer on the planet.

Sub-zero.

Methinks we should replace the top picture with that one. Methinks we should do it now.

Subzero. Didn't even have to open the thread to decide.

A Gullwing Merc is already pretty cool, even with the dodgy swing axles and the stupidly compromised ingress/egress.

Now add the word Uhlenhaut to the name.

You don't even have to see the car... just say it: Uhlenhaut. Sounds like it could rip your arms off and club you to death with them. Subzero, just for the name.

Then you look and see that it's basically an unmuffled SLR... so it can cause you to bleed to death from your broken eardrums. You won't be able to staunch the bleeding with those useless stumps where your arms used to be. I don't even have to hear it to know that that inline-8 with uncorked straight pipes will sound like Armageddon.

Deserves the icebox.

All of what he said 👍

If it's so "Legendary," Why Haven't I heard of it until it came up in this thread? I know about the roadster SLRs (like 722,) but know nothing of this car.

Back