Layout - RWD
Transmission - 6-speed automatic
Power - 280 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque - 355 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Curb weight - apprx. 4400 lb
Zero to 60 mph - Unknown
Standing 1/4-mile - Unknown
Price - apprx. $120,000​

Looks like a Boring car, its engine has nothing special, is heavy.

Oh and By the way, costs the same as a Merc and in a crowd it'll look like a chinese car =/

It's a car used by royalty.

You'd think they would have better taste than this.

Uncool.

Seriously uncool.

It's a Toyota, it looks like a cross between an '80's Rolls Royce and a late model Cadillac Deville, pitiful power and torque for a DOHC V12.

Sub zero. Yakuza etc use them.

Last time I checked, the Yakuza wanted nothing to do with JDM cars. In fact as I recall they don't even like anything RHD...

I'd have thought that these are more printer company CEO than Japanese mafia.

In fact no, as I recall the Century is the baby of the VIP mod scene, which as far as I'm concerned is the Tokyo equivalent of men with Corsas racing up and down Ealing Broadway. Vote for 'seriously uncool' will be registered shortly.

Last edited:
So, is Toyota trying to copy Buick? It does not even look close to the Buick Century.

Never been a fan of VIP cars since they are incredibly useless and amazingly bland for a luxury car.

Seriously Uncool.

Pfft... the mid-90's Camry is cooler than this...

And Camrys will never pull off cool...

UNCOOL

So, is Toyota trying to copy Buick? It does not even look close to the Buick Century.

:lol:

Did you notice that:
Pontiac had a GTO?
Ferrari had a GTO?
and
Mitsubishi had a GTO?

Were they trying to copy each other? All three were sports cars but not really. You see, just because they have the same name as another car, doesn't mean they were trying to copy it.

The exception being of course the Monaro, but that was because Vauxhall and Holden are both owned by GM and they didn't bother to rename the car.

Last edited:
Did you notice that:
Pontiac had a GTO?
Ferrari had a GTO?
and
Mitsubishi had a GTO?

Were they trying to copy each other? All three were sports cars but not really. You see, just because they have the same name as another car, doesn't mean they were trying to copy it.

The exception being of course the Monaro, but that was because Vauxhall and Holden are both owned by GM and they didn't bother to rename the car.

Century just doesn't sound like nor seems to look like a continuous-multiple-market.

With a different front clip you would think this was a 70s four door American muscle car. I never realized Toyota a) made a V12, b) had a $120,000 car.

If this were like, an 80s car, it might be cool. But comparing it to the other cars of its class it looks really boring and has terrible specs. Uncool.

Did they make a herse out of this car? It looks like the coffin carrier.

They did make a Hearse Century for the Japanese PM(Just in case I presume). Not sure if they make them for "civilian" use though.

Cool, I love big four door cars. Plus it has potential to be an awesome VIP car. It's no Nissan Gloria, but I'd take it.

Fugly way overpriced attempt to get in on the luxury car market. 120K for it !!! - sorry,no sale here.

Seriously Uncool

Meh.

The only real thing I don't like about this car is that it has been built since 1967 I think, but the design has pretty much stayed the same. Although, the engine from this car was used in a very famous Supra. Everything else on it is OK.

Japanese P.I.M.P. at it's finest!! Kind of like the Phaeton, in that no one realises how good the car actually is. Plus that V12 has been shown to go over 220mph when stuck in a Supra and a couple of small snails get hooked onto it. ;)

Cool, bordering on S-Z.

Last time I checked, the Yakuza wanted nothing to do with JDM cars. In fact as I recall they don't even like anything RHD...

And I suppose you're in regular contact with them, are you?

:rolleyes:

I've got a problem with loving cars that are way too big, full of character and other strange little bits of flair. This is one of them. At best, I gave it a "cool."

Car and Driver had an article about the car in their magazine a few years back, at the time, it totally blew my mind. Houndstooth interior, V-12 engine, special foot rests and fold down tables behind the front seats. Sweet.

It's the Emperor's car. It's not sold here. It has a V12. And it's probably less encumbered with TCS and ASC than a LS600h. and no stupid self-parking measures, because the man who parks it is a professional.

For that matter, the fact this exists when Toyota HAS that green-guilt limo, AND hasn't ended production, makes this at least Cool.

... Full of character and other strange little bits of flair. This is one of them. At best, I gave it a "cool."

Car and Driver had an article about the car in their magazine a few years back, at the time, it totally blew my mind. Houndstooth interior, V-12 engine, special foot rests and fold down tables behind the front seats. Sweet.

This

It's the Emperor's car. It's not sold here. It has a V12. And it's probably less encumbered with TCS and ASC than a LS600h. and no stupid self-parking measures, because the man who parks it is a professional.

For that matter, the fact this exists when Toyota HAS that green-guilt limo, AND hasn't ended production, makes this at least Cool.

And this.

I judge it by what it is, not what it isn't. There are more pretentious cars out there (i'm looking at you Rolls Royce, Maybach, Bentley, et al) faster cars out there, more "luxurious" cars out there (i'm looking at the badge snobs that would buy a luxury model of a lesser car here; Nissan Gloria vs whatever Infiniti variant, same with the Lexus GS, Escalade vs Tahoe etc), but this one nails its raison de entre; a car to be driven in.

Definitely cool.

Its heavy, the engine is nothing special and it's expensive.
Did I mention it's a Toyota?

Uncool

What's worse than a boring boat called Camry? A hugely hideous larger boat of Camry + Camry.

Since "meh" is an option can we get another useless one called "wheelie-bin"? That's where this abomination goes.

The Century is mainly used as a taxi in big Japanese cities.
While I've never been in the 2005 model, I've been in one of the previous generation Century models as a backseat passenger while in Tokyo.

The driver has a button which allows him to open the passenger side (left) rear door (at kerbside) using very smooth electric motors and means he doesn't have to get out and open the door for you, and can close it behind you afterwards! That's pretty cool, but obviously adds to the enormous weight of the car.

The ride and engine on these things is unbelievably smooth too, although most of the roads we drove through in Tokyo were free of potholes and looked as though they'd been freshly ironed every morning, so more or less everything rides smoothly there!

Way cooler than a Crown Victoria, but still a lugubrious landbarge, tremendously expensive and if used as a taxi in Japan usually has what appear to be little lace doilies draped over the headrests, rendering it overall a bit "meh"!

*edit* Actually, I fail. :dunce: I'm thinking of the Toyota Crown, not the Century. Oh well, the Century is still "meh". ;)

Last edited:
Japanese cars have never been cool in my book, I wish they were more... original...

It seems every Japanese car is either an econobox or an iteration of a European or even American success. I hate cars purpose built to beat/1-up other cars (see: Nissan GTR)

Seriously Uncool

While there are always exceptions, if you are not Japanese, if you are not old, chances are, you won't care for this car.

I love it. And yes, Yakuza bosses like them sometimes as well. They can be found in domestic, or German sedans. At least back when. :lol:

Back