Engine
Model RB26DETT
Type Water cooling DOHC
Displacement, cc 2568
Turbo Twin Turbo Intercooler
Cylinders Serial 6, 24 Valves
Max Horsepower, hp / rpm 280 / 6800
Max Torque, Nm / rpm 392.3 / 4400
Fuel System EGI (Electronic Gasoline Injection)
Fuel Type Gasoline
Compression Ratio 8.5
Bore * Stroke, mm 86 x 73.7
Fuel Consumption, l/100km 12.3
Chassis
ABS (Antilock Brake System)
LSD (Limited Slip Differential)
Tires, front 245/40ZR18
Tires, rear 245/40ZR18
Brakes, front Ventilated disk
Brakes, rear Ventilated disk
Suspension, front Independent suspension multiple link
Suspension, rear Independent suspension multiple link
Min Turning Circle, m 5.6
Fuel Tank, 65 L

Last edited:
R32-34 Skylines = automatically uncool, regardless of whether they're a special edition or not. You can thank the whole boy-racer scene for that - even you're driving down the road in a stock one and obeying all the road rules people will still label you a "hoon" or "boy racer", which is very very very uncool.

Like all other R-series Skylines (with the exception of the R35, which doesn't have the whole boy-racer image problem), the performance lifts it out of the seriously uncool section... but only just.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could....

But (a) I can't, and (b) that makes it Uncool.

I thought, though, that the V-Spec II N1 only came in white, and only with a CFRP hood.

Seriously Uncool. It's a Skyline, and at that, it's an R34 Skyline which is worshipped by boy racers, Japan freaks, and video game fanboys.

This is not to say it's not a good car and that I don't like it, because I do. I just wouldn't ever want to own one because of it's image.

Seriously Uncool. It's a Skyline, and at that, it's an R34 Skyline which is worshipped by boy racers, Japan freaks, and video game fanboys.

Don't forget those people that worship "The Fast and The Furious" too...

SERIOUSLY UNCOOL

It's an R34 Skyline which is worshipped by boy racers, Japan freaks, and video game fanboys.

This is not to say it's not a good car and that I don't like it, because I do. I just wouldn't ever want to own one because of it's image.

Joey said it for me. I've come to hate the R34 because of the fast and the furious, and everything to do with street racing media (video games, etc).

Seriously Uncool.

Well. I voted it sub-zero because its iconic and because I nominated it. But nowadays I'm thinking of changing my screen name to IPWNNOOBZ (My CS game name .. e-|A|. -m- IPWNNOOBZ)

^This.

As much as I like this car, the image it has has made it as uncool as it gets.

Meh. It's not an R32, and while it performs admirably, it still is a heavy car for it's size.

The reason the model in the picture isn't white is because that's a Nür model rather than an N1.

I know it should be extremely uncool thanks to FnF, but I cite personal bias. I love the thing.

As I still cannot afford an original GT-R (the going price is crazy) and all the "ricers" are merely sporting rebadged GTS's and GTSTs, it still passes muster. Sub-Zee.

You guys' opinions depend too much on the cars' bigger fanbase's image. When these Skylines were introduced, they were way ahead of it's times and killed every car on the track; heck, they were even banned. These cars are really good track cars and daily drivers.

It seems that in every GTP Cool Wall thread I see the same posts.. : "Voted uncool because ricers and boy racers like the car." Seriously, appreciate a car for what it really is!

Japan's AC Cobra - I voted Sub-Zero

remiq.net_15231.jpg

WS has a point. You're supposed to vote on the cars, not the people who own them!

It's a very quick, very cool car! It gets a cool from me, but only because I would rather have an R32 GT-R N1.

Japan's AC Cobra - I voted Sub-Zero

If anything is Japan's AC Cobra, it's the Mk4 Supra. Simple, front-engine, RWD car with muscular looks and a honking great engine.

Whereas the Skyline is a Playstation and Playstations aren't cool. Also, it's yet another example of Car-naming Scrabble.

WS has a point. You're supposed to vote on the cars, not the people who own them!

I've dived down this road before for another car, I think it's unfair to vote on a car based on who drives it or what the owner may have done to them. As far as I'm concerned we should vote on the car as it is (stock) and it's potential to be made cooler, not it's potential to be ruined as given the wrong hands any car can become a woeful mess of ricey modifications. I say this because of alot of people vote based on modified variants purely, "look how awesome this particular model is now it's been modified" but then they're voting how cool that one example (or a few in proportion to the total number of that car) is.

👍 to WS.

We aren't voting if the car is good or not, we are voting if it's cool or not. The people who drive a car have a huge effect on it coolness. And really isn't image everything when it comes to be cool?

We aren't voting if the car is good or not, we are voting if it's cool or not. The people who drive a car have a huge effect on it coolness. And really isn't image everything when it comes to be cool?

The people who drive the car don't have an effect to everyone, when a nice car drives past I look at the car not the driver otherwise how do you rate a car which is parked? If it's a cool car I won't even think twice about who's driving as I'll be to busy in awe of the vehicle. I think anyone who is prepared to judge a book by it's cover is frankly incredibly uncool, whether that be judging the car by the driver or the driver by the car, to assume they are a certain type of person I find is ridiculous. I'm not saying the Skyline is cool because it's a good car (or vice versa) and I've never voted in such manner, I've always voted on how the car looks, sounds, if I feel it has a character of some sort, and if it does what it's designed to do. Performance is only a factor if it's supposed to be a performance car for example.

I think anyone who is prepared to judge a book by it's cover is frankly incredibly uncool, whether that be judging the car by the driver or the driver by the car, to assume they are a certain type of person I find is ridiculous.

Oh snap! I'm incredibly uncool! Whatever shall I do with my life?

I vote whether a car is cool or not by the image it has, if that makes me uncool well then I think I can deal with the fact some internet person thinks I'm uncool. Guess they will have to deal with the pain and suffering that it causes them.

It would be a fun car to race in GT but I would not want to own one. Not to mention what others have said about the "boy racer" scene. Even though I never really see these cars in my area but I have to vote for uncool.

Oh snap! I'm incredibly uncool! Whatever shall I do with my life?

I vote whether a car is cool or not by the image it has, if that makes me uncool well then I think I can deal with the fact some internet person thinks I'm uncool. Guess they will have to deal with the pain and suffering that it causes them.

All I'm saying is not everyone judges it on the same basis as you, no need to get your knickers in a twist and mount your high horse. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings as you correctly pointed out it's the internet. Though I'm now an internet person, I would like you to support this theory that I am a person made of internet or of the internet? I always thought I was from this place called the real world in England 👍. I happen to think it's uncool to base everything on image, I see it as a shallow method of making decisions though I don't expect everyone to agree.

Moral of the story, image isn't everything to everyone (which is the answer to your question even though you might have thought it was rhetorical) all I was trying to make you do is see the bigger picture and understand why I and others do not vote for the same reasons. I'm sure you think I'm not cool because I don't care about the so called image, but what exactly is image anyway? What I use to build up my image of something is different to yours, but I use image through these posts in the way you have as regards the link between driver and car which I happen to ignore both ways.

Dull and boxy.
Opinion not fact.
Unremarkable like most 6cyls.
Opinion not fact.
The car's a frickin robot.
Fact, but for example I see my motorbike as more then mere metal, you may not which is your opinion.
What was it designed to do?
It's a performance car, what else is it designed to do but perform? I used the example as if it was an economy car, I wouldn't mark it down for not having performance credentials.

Cool itself is not a defined term otherwise we'd all be voting exactly the same way would we not? What you find dull and boxy may be attractive to someone else. Not to mention, I never said this Skyline was cool in my own opinion ;).

Last edited:
Its difficult to explain why I think this but I certainly think Skylines are cool when I see them (stock that is).
So I vote cool, its a car I don't see very often, has decent looks and decent performance. It basically gets a cool because its relatively rare, a 911 might look better, sound better and go better but I see them everyday and they are frankly quite boring, or at least any post-90s 911 is boring anyway.

I happen to think it's uncool to base everything on image, I see it as a shallow method of making decisions though I don't expect everyone to agree.

Surely that's precisely what coolness is though - a shallow concept based on image?

Surely that's precisely what coolness is though - a shallow concept based on image?

Why surely? Is cool not based on how fashionable or attractive something is to each person, the poll will define the overall opinion of the voters, but each person will have a different definition on what is attractive or fashionable to themself. As proven in the past alot of people vote based on performance as they feel that performance is cool to them, though again I don't opt for that, and that is certainly not just based on this 'image' which is also difficult to define as I'm sure ricers think what they do is cool though we (we as in how it would appear GTPers in this section overall and I'm sure that includes you Famine) do not. Image is subjective in itself and in turn cool is subjective, so I don't see how we can define cool in such a precise manner when we can't define what a good image is and what makes up one as that differs from group to group, person to person.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting others are wrong though I may not do things the same way and I may think it's uncool to base it on image but that's because my definition of cool ignores this image as used in Joeys method of basing the car on the driver. Without these differences in opinion, the discussions following the poll wouldn't be half as interesting and I find the whole fiasco intriguing when you see how the differing perceptions of cool clash just like the many arguments of Clarkson & co. on the cool wall which likely inspired ours.

Edit: Not to mention the people who think it's uncool to try to be cool, so by trying to not be cool so they are not uncool they are trying to be cool which is uncool and then... oh dear.

Last edited:
Why surely? Is cool not based on how fashionable or attractive something is to each person, the poll will define the overall opinion of the voters, but each person will have a different definition on what is attractive or fashionable to themself.

Yes, exactly. They judge it on image. That's what attractiveness and fashionable-ness (yay, neologism!) are - image.

That's all coolness is - a shallow concept based on image. We don't need to pretend there's any more depth to it than that.

As proven in the past alot of people vote based on performance as they feel that performance is cool to them, though again I don't opt for that, and that is certainly not just based on this 'image'

No - though people are free to vote however they wish, people who vote based on how a car performs or how good it is fundamentally misunderstand the concept of a "Cool Wall".

If it were performance-based, it'd be the "Fast Wall" and the 9ff would be quite high up. If it were competancy-based, it'd be the "Good Wall" and nothing we've yet voted on would be in the bottom two sectors. But it's not - it's the Cool Wall. It's all about image and if a car's image is tarnished by ricers, or tosspots, or any sector of society you deem uncool, then its coolness is also tarnished.

which is also difficult to define as I'm sure ricers think what they do is cool though we (we as in how it would appear GTPers in this section overall and I'm sure that includes you Famine) do not.

It's not particularly hard. Ricers would vote that what they do is cool and we would vote that it is not. Since it's subjective rather than objective, there's no inherent conflict.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting others are wrong though I may not do things the same way and I may think it's uncool to base it on image but that's because my definition of cool ignores this image as used in Joeys method of basing the car on the driver. Without these differences in opinion, the discussions following the poll wouldn't be half as interesting and I find the whole fiasco intriguing when you see how the differing perceptions of cool clash just like the many arguments of Clarkson & co. on the cool wall which likely inspired ours.

It's worth noting that you say that it is uncool to say a car is uncool based on image alone - but you're basing this judgement wholly on image.

Judging Joey to be uncool (and he is - he's an archaeology geek who drives a BINI and posts to an internet site about a game he doesn't play any more; I suspect he's entirely comfortable with this - I know I'm heinously uncool, but I couldn't give a flyer) based on his judgement that the R34 is uncool because of the image associated with it is a judgement of image alone. Or, as you put it, judging a book by its cover. You know nothing more about Joey than what he's posted on GTP - there is absolutely no depth at all to your judgement.

But that's absolutely fine, since cool is a subjective judgement of image and couldn't be any less shallow if it were a bubble. The difference between you and Joey is merely whether you think the image the ricers give the R34 matters to the image of the car. Joey does, you don't, but you're both making image calls to determine the car's coolness.

Back