Anyone familiar with Initial D?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 37 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
I just downloaded all 20 episodes that are on the PSN of Initial D: Fourth Stage. Problem is, it goes past episode 20. I'm at the spot where the newly modified FD RX-7 is racing the R34 GT-R.

Anyone know where I can download the rest of these?

I'm quite familiar with it. Great car racing/drifting cartoon 👍.

The best place to find the rest of the show is probably looking in youtube (as the english dubbed episodes take forever to actually come out on dvd).

Speaking of that, I never knew they had Initial D available on P.S.N.!?:eek:

I'm quite familiar with it. Great car racing/drifting cartoon 👍.

The best place to find the rest of the show is probably looking in youtube (as the english dubbed episodes take forever to actually come out on dvd).

Speaking of that, I never knew they had Initial D available on P.S.N.!?:eek:

They do, but it's horribly dubbed. The English voice acting is laughable.

Stick to the original Japanese versions with English subtitles. Much better.

;)

I have a copy of the ps3 game somewhere, its entirely in Japanese, no idea what they're talking about!

Funimation is rereleasing Initial D from what I hear. You probably have two more episodes or so till Battle Stage 2 and probably Fifth Stage. Though there are other means of getting the other episodes.

They do, but it's horribly dubbed. The English voice acting is laughable.

Stick to the original Japanese versions with English subtitles. Much better.

;)

These are episodes released by Funimation, and they are not the "Americanized" versions that you speak of. 👍

These are episodes released by Funimation, and they are not the "Americanized" versions that you speak of. 👍
*ahem*
Funimation is rereleasing Initial D from what I hear. You probably have two more episodes or so till Battle Stage 2 and probably Fifth Stage. Though there are other means of getting the other episodes.

Lol

I know exactly which ones they are. I have a few of them on my PS3. The dialogue isn't as bad as the Tokyopop versions (Americanized situations), but the voice acting is far worse. Honestly, there is no good "dubbed" version of Initial D out there. The original Japanese voice acting far exceeds anything that has ever been dubbed over it.

Takumi's voice is especially bad. I can't listen to that voice and take Takumi seriously.

;)

Is the PSN version of Initial D free?

And whereabouts do I find them? I haven't seen them in the PS Store (Or I haven't looked hard enough when I did visit the place lol).

I have every episode and extra stage... visit idforums.net torrents are all linked there. You sort of ruined it watching the fourth stage first.

The Japanese version with English subs is the best way to go as stated. The English dubs are horrible.

You can also buy the whole dvd pack from ebay. Stages 1-3 w/extra stages cost me about 50 bucks.

The dialogue isn't as bad as the Tokyopop versions (Americanized situations), but the voice acting is far worse.

Yeah I hated those ones too. I don't know, IMO these ones aren't bad.

Is the PSN version of Initial D free?

And whereabouts do I find them? I haven't seen them in the PS Store (Or I haven't looked hard enough when I did visit the place lol).

They are $2.00 each. A little pricey I think. To get to them, I believe I went to Animation>Funimation>Initial D. (can't really remember)

Initial D? Hmm, never heard of it...:sly:

Seriously though, I enjoyed First Stage immensely (got the DVD set too), but I kinda got tired of the series by the beginning of Fourth Stage, so I've yet to finish watching it.

Also, I never listen to dubs - ever. Except for laughs. ;)

way too expensive and not organized when buying on PSN.

If I decide to buy 4th stage I'll get it from amazon

Wow I didnt realise it was on the PSN! Sucks that its the horrible dubbed version.
You could easily find a torrent to download but thats up to you.
I'd just buy the dvd's its definately worth the purchase.
I just re-watched Initial D & decided I liked the first 2 stages the best :)

Only problem with Initial D is that, when it's over, I REALLY want to hop in my car and head out to my local mountain road. :D Thanks for the info guys, it'll be a while before I can get to any of that stuff, but when I can get internet again at home I'll be sure to check it out.

Just started watching the first season of this anime and am having a lot of fun recognizing the cars! Made in mid-early 2000's, the star is Sprinter Trueno AE86 GT-APEX, and challengers include the rotary brothers with their RX-7's, an R 32 GT-R, Silvia's and more. Looked at the wikipedia page to see if it had anything to say about what other cars will be featured in future episodes/seasons, and it looks good! MX-5s, Civics, Spoon Civic and Integra!, Evo's, even a Cappucino!!! R 33 and R 34, too. Sileighty! Altezza RS200... um, I forget what all eventually. Many of the non-racing street cars in the background are clearly recognizable, too, pretty sure I just ID'd a Nissan Micra Super Turbo...

Granted, character animation is pretty shabby, more like what you'd expect from anime in the 80's, and plot and character development is about what you'd expect (think Japanese high schoolers, not Fast and Furious.) Cars and races are CG but not quite the quality of GT4 really, but still pretty nice. Lots of meaty technical comments throughout which I understand only because I've played GTs. Lots of drifting through technical downhill mountain courses featured so far, and there's supposed to be uphill in the future but not for the AE86 I'd guess.

Anyway just wondered if anybody else had encountered this piece of automotive entertainment, and thought I'd recommend it to those who aren't opposed to anime.

Epic series, I first watched through all of them a couple years ago, then recently downloaded them to my PS3. The characters are all done pretty well, imo. There's a live action movie as well. English dubbing is pretty bad, but if you can get over that it's a pretty good movie (it takes a lot for me to dislike a movie, anyway).

I think that's how the AE86 got so damn popular.

Check out the anime thread in the movies and TV section. Most people have heard of Initial D if they know what an AE86 is, etc. I'm sure there's even a dedicated thread somewhere in there.

I have watched all the Anime, the animated movies and the real movie.

Hope they make more anime.

There were animated movies? As in outside of the four main Stages and two battle Stages? Where do I find them?

There were animated movies? As in outside of the four main Stages and two battle Stages? Where do I find them?

Actually, I think there are 3 movies:
Third Stage, Extra Stage and Mako's Stage lol. Please check other forums for their location. BTW, Takumi loses..There is also Wangan Midnight that came out in 2000 I think. Realistically , the main character is like Takumi but works harder than him.
4 Arcade games/ Playstation games and 1 PSP game. If you looked the Wiki pages then that is alot of spoilage for you.
There is also a Supra, Impreza type R but I havent seen a Micro in the Manga

Last edited:
Okay, I see some discussion in the anime thread in movies + TV. Maybe this is the wrong forum to post this in, but I thought it really wasn't "off topic" but more "automotive" since Initial D is so specifically about cars. One repeated line I've appreciated because of my GT experience: "The 86 trains the driver." Yup, If you can get great with the AE86, you'll be fine in any other FR I think.

Thanks for the heads up on Wangan Midnight, I'll check it out!

Also, noticed we've got an MR-2 and MR-S and even an NSX Type S Zero!

I like the character personalities and voice acting (watching subbed), just thought the animation quality was substandard for the time, though it may just be my personal taste. The way they do the lips and noses, reminds me of One Piece or something...

I like the character personalities and voice acting (watching subbed), just thought the animation quality was substandard for the time, though it may just be my personal taste. The way they do the lips and noses, reminds me of One Piece or something...
I'm actually pretty fond of the "oldschool" style of animation found in First Stage - I guess it's one of the reasons why it's my favorite season of Initial D! :lol:

I didn't think the topic relocation was entirely necessary, either. For the gear heads that don't normally like anime, leaving this topic there would have let them branch out a bit and discover something new that's completely car-related.

I never considered "Third Stage," "Battle Stage," or "Extra Stage" movies, but if that's all they were, at least I know I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the heads up on Wangan, I was getting bored with re-watching all the Top Gear/Fifth gear on my PS3.

... Where's an NSX in ID?

... Where's an NSX in ID?

wari (my bad..) on the wiki page for ID characters and teams I read through it mentions a lot of cars, but looking at the page again I see the NSX is only in the manga...

also looks like I didn't try too hard to search for initial D threads before starting one of my own, since this one was started so recently in fact!

I have seen this serie a few years ago... and I'm still waiting for the fifth stage.

BTW if you like Initial D you'll probably like Wangan Midnight.
iagree.gif

Back