Drivetrain: Rear-engine/rear-wheel-drive
Power: 40-130 HP
Length: 152.4–157.9 in (3,870–4,010 mm)
Width: 65.4 in (1,660 mm)
Height: 48.0–51.8 in (1,220–1,320 mm)
Weight: 1,700-2,296 lbs (770-1,041 kg)
Total production 76,000+
Body style: Coupe/Convertible​

Never really liked it. It wasn't far enough removed from it's VW roots, to the point where, from across the interstate, kids might be punching others next to them whilst playing punch buggy.

Yet I can't call it uncool. Just meh for me.

Looks like a classy beetle. It must have been all the rage back in the fifties. 👍

Cool.

I am also going to go with meh. I dont know, it's the first Porsche and blah blah yadda yadda but I have never found anything really cool about them. They do make awesome vintage class racers, but bleh too.

I've always liked them, every time I see one I always go "cool" so I'm going to go with it.

Uncool, it just looks plain and boring, the body also looks too big for the chassis.

Uncool, it just looks plain and boring, the body also looks too big for the chassis.

It was the 1950's, most vehicles had bodies too big for their chassis. Look at the Woody Wagon in the back of that shot, same way.

I quite like the Coupe version. Actually this is probably one of, if not, my favorite European classics. If I was rich, I would get one.

It's cool. Nice and fun RR, small enough engine for beginners, first Porsche ever. Might be like a Beetle but far more cooler. Boxer is a nice engine, but the front looks kind of weird. Very funky car and people would be staring. Noot enough for sub-zero.

I don't particularly like the 356, but it did give birth to one of the all-time greatest cars... the 911. That makes it cool.

James Dean owned one, Steve McQueen owned one. That alone propels this car to Sub Zero. I don't care if it's just a dressed up Beetle. Honestly, if James Dean or Steve McQueen owned a Cavalier, I would consider it sub zero!

James Dean owned one, Steve McQueen owned one. That alone propels this car to Sub Zero. I don't care if it's just a dressed up Beetle. Honestly, if James Dean or Steve McQueen owned a Cavalier, I would consider it sub zero!

:lol: Amen to that!

I'm loving to see how Porsche triggers both passion and indifference, that's one of the many things that make them amazing. * Grabs popcorn and sits to watch replies *

I was never a huge fan of the early Porsche's.Sure,if I would happen to see one going down the road I would probably say it's cool,but that's about the extent of it.

Voting wise,I'm borderline between cool and meh,can't quite make up my mind (thinking).

I'll go with cool.

Engine in the wrong place... it was the first super-Beetle... but not so super... and it's not quite as overexposed as the Spyder (because it didn't kill anybody young and famous) or the 911.

That last part alone makes it sub-zero. It's a Porsche you can actually love without being lumped in with the Porsche-o-philes. :lol:

although, these older Porsches are a LOT better looking and had a bit more design deference between the models, the modern day Porsche has effectively ruined it for the old boys. Any Porsche is uncool in my book.

although, these older Porsches are a LOT better looking and had a bit more design deference between the models, the modern day Porsche has effectively ruined it for the old boys.
356:

356A:

356B:

356C:

Though strictly speaking, the "Porsches all look alike waaahhhh!" whining is pretty absurd regardless, and outside of the joke made on Top Gear I don't understand where people would even come up with it.

Last edited:
Sub-Zero...

I am absolutely shocked more people aren't voting Sub-Zero.

If you rolled up in that little silver beauty, you'd be swimming in knickers...

;)

I love Porsches but the 356 has never really appealed to me. It's also becoming one of those cars where chances are, if you see one on the road, it's increasingly likely to be a replica. Meh.

I do not like Porsche, but this one has simple lines, that flow ...
It has this nostalgia of rich people going to beach.
Cool for this cabrio, the coupe would be a lot more difficult to swallow for me.

I give it a ''Meh''...

The design of the car is plain and dull but quite unique. Sadly it never seem to attract me in any way. Furthermore, I'm not really a fan of Porsche so I'd say ''Meh'' for this car.

Although my personal opinion is a meh (since it doesn't do much for me), I couldn't bring myself to allow such an iconic car I have no grudge against anything below cool.

Pretty ordinary to drive... but the shape and proportions are utterly gorgeous... for me, it's in the same league as the original Merc SL... and it's totally sub-zero.

Its the car that says "I'm cooler than you, but i'm not a douche even though i'm taking your girlfriend home with me tonight".

Cool.

Sub-Zero

In my opinion the coolest and best looking road-legal porsche ever.:drool:

This.👍

Love it, especially the earlier production versions ( with split windscreens ) and I always preferred the coupé version lookswise.
And yes they are clearly linked to humble Volkswagens but that's part of the charm, you either get it or don't.

porsche.jpg

Even Abarth made a version of the 356 with a more Italian flair which also looks great in my opinion.

2323460102_54d44bde0f.jpg

Swiss coachbuilder Beutler also made a coupé version based on the 356.

Sedona%20rear%2018a.jpg

Last edited:
Back