Project Shaft: The Ultimate Drifting Machine

• Thread starter inuakki
  • 81 comments
Wolfram4
The initiative of Project Shaft is to determine the ultimate car and tuning setup for drifting on GT5.
Any help from the community is largely appreciated, and if you would like to help test out some of the cars feel free to add me on PSN.
Further research will be posted here, so make sure to check back for updates.

The initiative of Project Shaft is to determine the ultimate car and tuning setup for drifting on GT5.
Any help from the community is largely appreciated, and if you would like to help test out some of the cars feel free to add me on PSN.
Further research will be posted here, so make sure to check back for updates.

To help you out there is no ultimate drift machine. The car people pick is the car that suits them the best and the one they like the best looks wise. Atleast thats something I take into consideration when I drift cars. I for one dont like drifting japanese cars, this is not from them sucking, I just dont like the sound. Mostly everyone drifts japanese cars since they believe they are the best cars and they like them.

The same goes for the setup, each person has a setup that works for them which will not work aswell for someone else.

Best car I've found for drifting was a cheap old GT4 celica the one with the flip up lights! Fully tuned to just under 500 bhp, and you can drift it for ages. It out drifts all the modern cars and is so easy to control! Just make sure you setup up the torque distribution properly! What's the point in buying expensive cars when you can have a cheap old one thatll wipe the grin off other drifters faces!!!!!!! BRILLIANT.

Best car I've found for drifting was a cheap old GT4 celica the one with the flip up lights! Fully tuned to just under 500 bhp, and you can drift it for ages. It out drifts all the modern cars and is so easy to control! Just make sure you setup up the torque distribution properly! What's the point in buying expensive cars when you can have a cheap old one thatll wipe the grin off other drifters faces!!!!!!! BRILLIANT.

AWD is NOT and NEVER WILL BE drifting. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You can drift anything you want, I guess. But you can't really call yourself a drifter and compare yourself to the more serious/focussed drifters if you're side braking an FF or just hucking an AWD around and standing on the throttle.

So yeah drive what you like but just be aware that AWDs basically drift themselves. There's a reason the Impreza that ran in D1 was an FR :P

yea until we get a scored system that bans awd cars i say go for it.

I find that the people that dont like AWD drifting also dont like Chuck Norris jokes.... enough said...

Hum that's even less drifting than what he was referring to... Anyone can slide a car in the dirt. Plus rally racing is mostly about trying NOT to lose traction.

Look guys for someone who wants to learn basics and easy control what's wrong? I can drift a rear wheel drive no problem at all, but as a starter car just to get a general idea its perfect! You tell a rally driver in real life that a 4WD rally car isn't a real drifter!!!!!!! At the end of the day its about having fun! Take it too seriously and you just look like a sad arse!

Oh and by the way rally drivers don't need gravel to drift, or have none of you ever seen the likes of michelle mouton or colin mcrae?

Rally drivers can drift in any condition: dirt, snow or pavement.
They're not drifting for show. They do it for speed and to get from point A to B, thats the main difference.

I think all of those who say 4WD is not drifting haven't got a leg to stand on! Look at Michelle Mouton on you tube! Anyway can't be bothered to argue any further with little boys who have no idea!!!!!!!. Or even better! What about Ken Block on top gear! Or is he a **** driver as well?

KSL
AWD can't drift? bitch please LMFAO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_Drivers'_champions

Please, use that list. Find each individual driver (dead or alive) and tell that to their face. I would love to see what they'd do to you lol

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GvwUh4dW4&feature=related
Bear in mind this particular biznitch has competed in D1..........

And no, from my point of view as a PROFESSIONAL drifter, AWD is NEVER drifting, and I've told that to multiple race/rally drivers who I know. They respect my sport, I respect theirs, but they agree they are NOT drifting, so in your words, bitch, please!

Ken Block is a good STUNT driver, but, as proved by his ABYSMAL finishes in WRC this year, he sucks at actualy racing.

Last edited:
I agree ken block does stunts and gymkhana, drifters initiate before a corner drift thought the corner and then stop much harder than a 4wd over powered car that can be thrown in and slide by itself ;)

Forgot to mention, this'll hopefully make my point.

Last year, at Trax show at Silverstone, Ken Block was doing a 'gymkhana' demo, we (JDM AllStars) were there to do a round of our pro drift series. Ken was asking some of our drivers about techniques and telling them how awesome they were :D He also said how impressed he was that we were able to control cars with upwards of 6-700bhp while sideways at over 100mph (our entry speeds on the day was varying from 94-107mph).

Forgot to mention, this'll hopefully make my point.

Last year, at Trax show at Silverstone, Ken Block was doing a 'gymkhana' demo, we (JDM AllStars) were there to do a round of our pro drift series. Ken was asking some of our drivers about techniques and telling them how awesome they were :D He also said how impressed he was that we were able to control cars with upwards of 6-700bhp while sideways at over 100mph (our entry speeds on the day was varying from 94-107mph).

Exactly drifters are the really skilled drivers unlike ken block and his safety of 4wd ;)

You guys are hilarious!!!! So short sighted! I watched michelle Mouton at good wood festival speed drift her pikes peek quatro around the track which takes immense skill! But you lot obviously think that your better drivers cause you use rear wheel drive!!! What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!!! Give michelle mouton a real wheel drive car and she could still do it! All of those types are amazing drivers! I have just as much fun drifting 2 drive as I do 4 drive.

You can't discredit Block's gymkhana work, it's amazing, but it's not about the drift itself. It's more about the precision, putting the car where he wants it, there's next to no technique keeping an awd car sideways, but getting it exactly where you want it is a different matter.

Drifting is all about the drift itself, how you enter, all your steering and throttle control during, and how you exit.

Sure AWD is fun to slide around sometimes, but it doesn't teach you how to drift. If you're drifting the same course as an FR in an AWD you're really hardly learning anything. I'll bet 8 of 10 first time drivers could get a sustained drift out of an AWD on their first time out in it.

Comparing drifting to rally racing is just completely missing the point here...noone is trying to discredit any drivers or types of racing, just trying to explain the differences.

I used to be in the camp that is very hardcore about what is and isn't drifting... but ultimately what I came to realize is that drifting is about enjoying motorsports and pushing the limits of your vehicle to the absolute limit while still maintaining control. There's no reason to get elitist and try to exclude this or that from being "real drifting." Drifting is nothing more than a controlled slide. You don't even need four wheels to do it. Motorcycles can do it. You don't even need two, a unicycle could drift.

Of course if someone were to claim to be a good drifter, they'd have to be a good FR drifter because AWD doesn't require anywhere near the level of control and FF drifting is just counterproductive and silly... everyone knows this, but that doesn't mean it's not drifting. It doesn't even mean you can't drift skillfully in an AWD or FF. Those rally guys are pretty much drifting constantly. Just because it's on dirt, it doesn't count? Get off your high horse!

Of course the pro racers & rally guys will agree that they're not drifting because they are talking about their objective. Their objective isn't show, it's speed. If they drift, it's not because it's fun or their goal, it's because it's faster. Of course they're not going to argue with you that they are drifters AND racers, because that would be disrespectful to you as a professional drifter and to the sport of drifting. If anything, it's your goals that draw the line between drifting and racing, not what kind of car you're driving. If your goal is to push the car past its traction limit in a corner and attempt to maintain precise control of it, you're drifting no matter what you're in.

Finally a reasonable reply! I'm fed with hearing that people who can drift rear wheel drive think they are better overall drivers than everyone else! A definition of a good driver is someone adaptable to any style of driving who regardless of the car the power or drive system can still return top results!

You guys are hilarious!!!! So short sighted! I watched michelle Mouton at good wood festival speed drift her pikes peek quatro around the track which takes immense skill! But you lot obviously think that your better drivers cause you use rear wheel drive!!! What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!!! Give michelle mouton a real wheel drive car and she could still do it! All of those types are amazing drivers! I have just as much fun drifting 2 drive as I do 4 drive.

OMG your so right she has so much skill :dunce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBqdiGCipE

Back