Need help understand effects of LSD

• Thread starter Skitch2310
  • 3 comments
So I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what exactly the effects of changing the settings of a LSD are.

I know what the book tells you but I guess I just need examples like:

"If you set the LSD like this then your car behaves like this"

I have the collector's edition exclusive book and have re read it a bunch of times but still cannot grasp the effects and what I should be looking for when I change the settings.

Any examples or helpful analogies would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Jason

Basically your LSD monitors wheel spin between the two drive wheels per each axel.

If one wheel has less traction than the opposite wheel then that wheel will spin, but, if you have an LSD fitted, the LSD itself will make sure that both wheels are spinning at a similar speed instead of the wheels spinning at hugely different speeds.

I just set all of mine to 60 and have done with. If you go into the tuning window, go into drivetrain and then go onto LSD, you can click on the question mark that will give you specific information per each setting.

I'll need the following confirming but I think it is right:

Your torque setting covers how much torque needs to go through the wheels to activate, mine is set to 60 but I'm going to re-read the info as it has made me think that maybe it should be set as low as possible.

So, say that your acceleration sensitivity is set to 60, that means you LSD will be very sensitive to any differing wheel speeds during accel.

If it is set to 60 on braking then your LSD will be very sensitive to any different wheel speeds during braking

Check Scaff's guides, they are stickied at the top of the tuning sub-forum.

My basic understanding is:

Initial Torque (I think this is the name)- this is basically overall control of the LSD
The higher the number, the more locked the diff is. This means equal power to both wheels, but the car will want to go straight. Think understeer.
The lower the number, the more open the diff is. It will turn easier, think oversteer.​

Acceleration- same basic rules, but only under acceleration (under braking or no throttle, this will have little or no effect).
If the car is unstable during acceleration, raise this number
If the car understeers (only wants to go straight) during acceleration, lower this​

Deceleration-Only affects car when decelerating
If the car understeers when braking, lower this (or brake sooner!)
If the car oversteers when braking, raise it.​

I would suggest running laps on a track you are familiar with, in a rear wheel drive car. Change the initial setting, by 5 or 10, then run a lap or two. If you don't notice the difference, raise it again, and do some more laps.

Once you have this set the way you want it, adjust the acceleration the same way, then deceleration. This will let you see the differences, which is the way I learn the best.

Last edited:
Back