Race of 1000 Years - SSR5 NYE Enduro Race Report

• Thread starter Falcon787B
  • 26 comments
United Kingdom
London
JohnsonCapote
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, those of you still hanging around the GT2 forums, I bid you welcome, on this New Year's Evening here in the downtown district.

The sun has gone down, the streetlights are lit, and we are ready to race here tonight, in the first ever...

GRAN TURISMO
RACE OF 1000 YEARS

at
Special Stage Route 5

CC_tr_SpecialStageRoute5.gif

picture.php

(The usual thanks for AMG for the track map.)

Race Distance: 50 Laps, 117.35 miles.

Tonight, we will ring in the new year in style - with a fast and furious 50-lap race through the Route 5 highway and downtown streets. This race, contested down the years by some of the fastest cars and drivers GT has ever seen, has had it's fair share of giant-killing moments - and tonight, to see in 2011 with a bang, I aim to add my name to the list of giant-killers.

My weapon? A touring car.

Car: 1998 Audi S4 [R]
Engine: 2.7L V6 DOHC
Horsepower: 496hp
Weight: 1289kg
Drivetrain: 4WD

No, I've not gone completly bonkers. Famously, A.A.Z. pulled off a shock victory with a touring saloon car - in his case, an Alfa Romeo 156. So there is precedent for this. That doesn't stop most of the paddock absolutely howling with laughter as my Audi wheels off the trailer and gets ready to race. The general concensus is that I've been on the New Year's Eve drinks spree too early, and I actually overhear a few people discussing what I've actually been drinking to make me do such an insane thing. Absinthe? Copious amounts of Jack Daniels? I won't deny I might be a little bonkers, but I wouldn't enter if I didn't think I had a chance. Nevertheless, I'd be lying if I tried denying the fact that my heart is racing as I roll onto the grid, to face a fiercesome lineup:

1. 1999 Toyota GT-One LM Race Car
2. 1969 Ford GT40 LM Race Car
3. 1997 Jaguar XJ220 GT Race Car
4. 1994 Vauxhall Calibra Touring Car
5. 1998 Nissan R390 GT1 LM Race Car

So, here we go. I'm bracing myself. The revs rise to a crescendo, wailing, roaring, snarling (and hissing, in my turbocharged case). The crowd, who for the most part probably have been having a little tipple, roar and cheer in anticipation. The Race of 1000 Years is.........GO!!!

Laps 1-25

The field charges towards the turn 1 tunnel, with me struggling to keep pursuit off the line. However, my handling advantage (and bravery/stupidity under braking) means that, as we exit the tunnel, I'm right on the Calibra's exhaust pipes. :mischievous: A ferocious 3-way battle between him, the R390GT1 and the Jaguar is swiftly interrupted by me in paint-swapping fashion, as I squeeze by the Calibra AND the R390GT1 on the rumble strips at T3! :scared: With one door mirror already the worse for wear, I leave them behind and hunt down the XJ220, who falls with another audacious move, this time on the OUTSIDE at turn 10! No wonder people think I've been drinking pre-race!! :crazy:

I can only watch the GT40 and GT-One surge away into the distance as we fly down the frontstretch to complete lap 1, and I end up having to pull off quite the rearguard effort as the XJ220 attempts muscling up the inside at T1, clearly quite upset (and perhaps embarressed) that he got taken on the outside by a repmobile! But I hold my own, and ease away from him through the next few corners. ;) I then set my sights on the GT40, and we end up shadow boxing through the rest of the lap as I catch him at T7, a corner I appear to be quite strong at compared to the opposition. After the usual eating of opposition dust down the front stretch completing lap 2, I stalk the GT40 through the opening corners, and, despite some intimidation, I sneak by at T3! :sly:

The GT-One has pulled out a handy advantage at this stage, and I'm 2.9s down at the T7 checkpoint. However, the soft tyres from under me are gripping the road with relentless determination, and my Audi sets about eating into that gap - 2.5s by the underpass checkpoint just before the turn 12 complex, and amazingly it's under a second by the time we reach the checkpoint a lap later (lap 4). I can imagine the GT-One driver doing a double-take in his rear view mirror in disbelief as I swarm all over his rear wing through the T1 tunnel! Instead of coming under pressure from a Nissan LMP car, or a GT car...it's a glorified company car?! What gives?!? I must admit, I'm surprised just how strong my S4 is doing so far, but that doesn't distract me, as I begin a tense duel with the big red Toyota, shadowing his every move and sticking my nose in at every half-gap, much to his annoyance - he's still trying to comprehend being chased by a saloon car, let alone being PASSED by one! :eek:

In actual fact, it even surprises me how easily I pass for the lead, snatching it cleanly under braking for T7, and I quickly set about trying to pad a lead. Fresh from being hunted down, the GT-One is now struggling to keep pace! You can almost hear the crowd going wild as they see me leading the high-powered sportscar machinery! However, this period of relative dominance (I manage to build up around a 9-10s lead) ends around lap 11, as my tyres begin to fade badly. This is where the race will be won and lost - I have to match my opponents' tyre strategy, and they pit twice during the race (the GT-One on laps 18 and 36), but on the other hand, my tyres fall off badly after just 14 laps. In ideal circumstances, I'd be pitting every 15 laps, making it a 3-stop race, but that's out of the question here, so I have to strain 17 laps at a time out of my tyres in order to pit at laps 17 and 34.

It's a calculated risk, and could proove to be my downfall - should I have strapped on super-soft tyres to give myself more of a margin? It seems so, as by lap 14, there's a big red shape filling my mirrors ominously...:nervous: I have a fierce duel with him through lap 15, but I'm powerless to let him blast by on the straight, and I struggle badly through laps 16 and 17, laptimes nosediving (from consistant 1'20s to 1'23s-1'25s), before diving into the pits end of lap 17 with my poor Audi practically begging for new tyres!

It's also worth noting that midnight UK time comes up whilst I'm in the pits, so...
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

:D :D :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Anyway, with that brief celebration done, I zoom back out onto the track, 26s down on the GT-One. We've already left the rest of the field behind - a dot that I'm assuming is the R390GT1 tails me relatively closely on the map for a few laps until he pits, but after that and for the rest of the race, it's a two-horse race between myself and the GT-One. The GT-One pits at the end of lap 18, right on schedule, and sweeps majestically back out onto the circuit - right in front of me! Time to renew aquaintances methinks :mischievous:

I actually take the chance to relax a little and try to save tyres for the next, crucial stint, but the GT-One appears to be pyschic, and uses that as an invitation to try and run away with the race! That snaps me out of any conservation strategy I had going, I can tell you that!! I swiftly give chase, and snatch back the lead on the outside of T10, in a mirror of my earlier maneuver on the Jaguar! The GT-One driver is getting more and more enraged by the lap, so I decide to try and make good my escape, and I hit halfway with a 3.4s lead over the GT-One.

Laps 26-50

I don't have many laps in order to build up a lead before the tyres begin screaming in pain again and the GT-One sniffs blood, so around 6-7s is the maximum margin I can achieve here, before it's all-hands-on-deck time to try and steer the good ship S4 through the troubled waters of swiftly eroding tyres! :crazy: I cling on to the lead for as long as possible, but the GT-One breezes by at the end of lap 31, which leaves me with a dilemma. I'm loosing time badly, sacrificing 6s alone on the next lap, so I decide to gamble, and pit a lap early, limping into the pits on tortured rims that I'm amazed actually have any rubber left on them! :scared:

With the fresh rubber beneath me feeling like mana from heaven, I tear back out onto the track, and proceed to knuckle down and blaze out my fastest laps of the race, with the zenith being a 1'20.202 on lap 39. In amongst all this, the GT-One pits for the final time on lap 36, and this time, when he rejoins the race, the view in his rear-view mirror is empty - because I'm long gone! I've got a decent jump on him, and we're seperated by around 5s at the end of his outlap. I'm slowly coming to the grim realisation that, unless I put some serious distance between us pronto, the GT-One will hunt me down mercilessly as my rubber disintegrates in the final five laps.

So, with gritted teeth and total focus I rip through the laps, pushing on desperately trying to eke out a lead. I don't think it ever gets any higher than 10-15s, and as my tyres begin to fade around lap 45, I'd wager I have around 12s in hand over my nemesis. Will it be enough?

Quite simply, no. My tyres begin to fall apart at a rapid rate, and as I push on with grim determination, I suddenly realise that, by lap 47, the gap has more than halved back to 2nd. And the game is finally up when the familiar sight of an angry GT-One fills my rearview mirrors with 2 laps still to go. It's a lost cause. There's no way I can hang on for two more full laps.

But that doesn't stop me trying.

My knackered tyres scream in agony as I outbrake him into T1 on lap 49, and I somehow manage to keep him behind me through the rest of the lap, despite my car spending most of the lap skidding and sliding rather than gripping the road. It's not often I resort to outright blocking, but it's the only way I can keep him behind me down the frontstretch. He's veering left and right desperately as we cross the stripe for the final lap, but I somehow - somehow - keep him at bay. Can it really be possible?

No.

We go side-by-side through T1, fenders banging, panels denting furiously. I'm not giving this up without a tooth-and-nail fight. He somehow stays alongside through T2, and finally squeezes through on the inside at T3.

With that, my chances at the race win are gone.

I give chase desperately, but I know it's a lost cause - my car, and more importantly, my tyres, have absolutely nothing left. I try one last outrageous lunge up the inside at the T9 hairpin, but it's hopeless. The GT-One sweeps to victory, and I struggle across the line 5.6s after him.

Final Results
1. 1999 Toyota GT-One LM Race Car 50 laps in 1'11:09.421
2. 1998 Audi S4 [R] +5.621s
3. 1998 Nissan R390 GT1 LM Race Car +36.563s
4. 1994 Vauxhall Calibra Touring Car +58.421s
5. 1969 Ford GT40 Race Car +1 Lap
6. 1997 Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car +1 Lap

I'm totally drained. It's bad enough that it's nearly 1am UK time here by the time I finish, but to loose on the final lap...I slump back into my chair, toss the controller to one side, and allow the adreneline coarsing in my veins to slowly ebb away. I gave it my all, and it wasn't enough. Just.

However, in spite of everything, I cannot really blame my performance. Despite it being in defeat, that was one of my best races ever in terms of consistant running, with only one or two major mistakes throughout the 50 laps. Not much to celebrate you may think, but I've long been very inconsistant and skittish in my driving, so I'm happy with this run.

I also can't blame the car at all. It performed way above expectations from the get-go. Considering the fact that, despite all it's many modifications, it's still in essence a heavy executive saloon (it started out weighing nearly 1600kg), it performed really well, and stuck it to the prototypes on pretty much an equal footing. For a long time, I've shyed away from the big executive saloons, seeing no use for them before, but now I've stripped one down and taken it racing, the big ol' Audi has entered my affections alongside my other GT2 favourites.

In fact, the only thing I would've really done differently would be tyre selection - I thought wrongly during my testing for this race that super soft tyres would make the race too easy. I'm almost certain that the difference between softs and super softs would have equated to more than the 5.6s I lost the race by. You know what this all means then, don't you? I have the perfect excuse to come back here and settle the unfinished business at a later date! :mischievous:

As Arnie once said..."I'll be back!"

However, for now, I'm off to polish off some Jack Daniels and ring in the new year. Once again, a happy new year to all of you, I hope 2011 is an awesome year for you all, and thanks for reading! :cheers:

(On an aside - the name of the race comes from a race that was run on December 31st, 2000, in Adelaide as a finale to the 2000 ALMS season. It was named the Race of 1000 Years, and was scheduled to finish bang on midnight. Read more about that race here :))

Last edited:
Hey Parnelli, good to see you here. I just posted this up as a starter, and I'm sorting out lineups and cars as we speak. Sorry for the confusion, haha! The race is scheduled to start soon, and finish around midnight UK time, hence the Race of 1000 Years title :)

(sigh) Okay, granted, the Race of 1000 Years thing was a bit niche. Let me explain: on December 31st, 2000, the final round of the American Le Mans Series was staged on a street circuit in Adelaide, and was timed to end right at midnight, so the new year would coincide with the end of the race, see? In the end, the race finished an hour or so early, but that's the original concept, anyway.

Report should be finished in about 10 minutes :)

Ah, got you. Thank you for explaining. Maybe I will get my 2 out and give it a try. Good luck with that.

Thanks :) I'l add a disclaimer to the race report to explain the meaning behind the title.

The report itself is nearly done now...the final adreneline bouts have seeped away at last. What a race. That's all I can say.

My problem with GT1 and 2 is that my coordination is not that good with a controller. I prefer a wheel. But my PS3 will play both, so maybe i can give it a go. But its nice reading the reports, to see how people cope with various scenario's. Happy new year to you, and i will read it tomorrow. Drive safe.

Me too, it took me a while to re-adjust to the DS2 from using my Logitech steering wheel for GT4. Got there after a while though. Do let me know when you give this a go, and thanks for the new year wishes - have a happy new year yourself :)

The report is finished, and I'm off for some sleep - happy new year all, g'night! :)

Hey Parnelli, good to see you here. I just posted this up as a starter, and I'm sorting out lineups and cars as we speak. Sorry for the confusion, haha! The race is scheduled to start soon, and finish around midnight UK time, hence the Race of 1000 Years title :)

Ah, I see. Yea it's been awhile, huh? I'm still here! :lol:

Sucks that you lost in the very last lap. I've had that happen a few times.

Last edited:
Yep, last lap loss. Sucks. But great effort.Reading this, and playing 5 ( although it is somewhat monotonous?? spelt correct?) has made my mind up to go back in time and revisit the series. Theres a few things left I want to do in 4, but when I'm done with those, i'm going right back to the first one, and starting a fresh. Congratulation Falcon787b for re igniting the series in my mind. Perhaps if I had missed reading this, I would have gone to 3 and started again there. But, if you have any tips on playing 1 and 2, especially with a controller then please let me know. Happy new year to you, and cudos to you.

Thanks for the replies guys, good to see theres still life in the old GT games :D

Ah, I see. Yea it's been awhile, huh? I'm still here! :lol:

Sucks that you lost in the very last lap. I've had that happen a few times.

Haha! You'll be here even when GT12 comes out for the PS7, with full 3D graphics and actual noise simulation and smell-o-vision TVs...haha! Good on you though, I'm glad you're still here and interested. I need to catch up on your GT2 Tales!

Yeah, it stinks, but I still enjoyed the race immensely. I was really happy with how I drove, and there wasn't anything else me or my Audi could've done. The mistake was made in tyre testing, and I'll go back soon to finish the job on super-soft tyres :mischievous:

Yep, last lap loss. Sucks. But great effort.Reading this, and playing 5 ( although it is somewhat monotonous?? spelt correct?) has made my mind up to go back in time and revisit the series. Theres a few things left I want to do in 4, but when I'm done with those, i'm going right back to the first one, and starting a fresh. Congratulation Falcon787b for re igniting the series in my mind. Perhaps if I had missed reading this, I would have gone to 3 and started again there. But, if you have any tips on playing 1 and 2, especially with a controller then please let me know. Happy new year to you, and cudos to you.

It does suck, and the air turned pretty blue at the chequered flag :yuck: But when I calmed down, I realised that I had enjoyed a good, hard race, and I wasn't far away from claiming a shock victory. Like I said before...I'll be back ;)

Thanks! I'm honoured that my writing has gotten you interested in the early Gran Turismo games again! :) It's good to see people are still interested in them. They do have their own unique charm, and if you're prepared to overlook the graphics, which compared to today's standards look horribly dated but were amazing for their day, then you can still have a helluva lot of fun with them. 2 is still on balance my favourite in terms of the selection of cars, race modifications, tracks, races, and little nuances.

As for racing with a controller? Hmmm, difficult. I'm trying to remember my technique when I was racing last night. Bearing in mind I'm used to a wheel as well, having used one extensively with GT4 and other games. All I would say is, it's hard to be smooth like you can be with a wheel, with a controller, but try to be if you can. It's all about small steering adjustments and movements. Have faith in your tyres, don't be afraid to let off the throttle mid-corner intermittently to bleed off speed which you normally would do by feathering the pedals with the wheel, and I suppose...practice, practice, practice. I used the tyre testing for this race to re-familiarise myself with the controller driving style, and it paid off in this race.

Good luck and I hope to read of your experiances back in GT1/2 very soon! :D Have you ever written any race reports/diaries before?

Nope. But don't be waiting on me. It will be a while before I get to 1 & 2. I work away all week. At the moment, I got 2 golds to get and the last mission on 4 to do. Then I will start on 1. As Parnelli will tell you, once i start on something i don't give up. i remember that mission 11 took me over 3,000 attempts to understand how the little car turned. But i did it in the end. Writing race reports. Hmm. Never done one. But i may start and do one in 4. Maybe i will do an endurance with something not tried yet. Good luck, and look forward to more entertaining write ups from you. Well done.

Cool! Happy New Year too. Too bad you lost though. Still some nice work you did though. Hey, maybe you should retry the race in the Mitsubishi Taevion FTO. I won easy in that little devil.

Great race report! Thoroughly enjoyed it, well done 👍

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all tyres in GT2 last the same distance don't they? Like you said Supersofts may be a better choice in this case (but then we won't have such a teeth gritting report :lol:) Actually, this reminds me of my first ever enduro in GT1 (GVS 300km) with the GTO TT. I lost on the third final lap because of worn tires. I was devastated, but that loss taught me a very important lesson: power isn't everything :sly:

I think you could've won this with your original strategy (3 stops) and driving like mad the whole race. From my experience, stretching out your tyres is never a good idea. You lose more time staying out in worn tyres than pitting one more time for fresh rubber. I'd be interested in how you'd go with 3 stops if you're attempting this again ;)

:lol: The sad thing is Falcoln787B is probably gone. :( And he'll mysteriously resurface again in another 6 months or so. :(:(:(:(:( That seems to be his pattern.

Sorry to disappoint you Parnelli, but I'm still here! For now ;)

In all seriousness, I feel bad that I kept ducking away like that, I'mma try and make an effort to be around the forums a bit more. Maybe not like on everyday, but I'll keep up to date with what's happening. Now that I'm back playing GT4 again, and as a consequence GT2 also, I should be around a bit more. Plus I might well be over in the Motorsport forums discussing real-world racing a bit.

If I do seem to disappear for a bit, Parnelli, you have my permission to bombard my inbox with nagging messages, okay? :)

Great race report! Thoroughly enjoyed it, well done 👍

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all tyres in GT2 last the same distance don't they? Like you said Supersofts may be a better choice in this case (but then we won't have such a teeth gritting report :lol:) Actually, this reminds me of my first ever enduro in GT1 (GVS 300km) with the GTO TT. I lost on the third final lap because of worn tires. I was devastated, but that loss taught me a very important lesson: power isn't everything :sly:

I think you could've won this with your original strategy (3 stops) and driving like mad the whole race. From my experience, stretching out your tyres is never a good idea. You lose more time staying out in worn tyres than pitting one more time for fresh rubber. I'd be interested in how you'd go with 3 stops if you're attempting this again ;)

Cheers Legend-1! Good to see you're still around these parts as well.

They do indeed last the same distance - an annoying glitch on PD's part. With the SuperSofts, I think I could've gotten just enough more of an advantage to run the race on 2 stops and have enough of a gap back to 2nd to be able to make it to the line before the GT-One caught me. Just thinking about it though, if I go 13 laps at a time, to minimise tyre wear and still reach a 3-stop race, you may be right - the 30s odd I loose pitting one extra time could be made up on fresh rubber. Interesting stat - the hunted may become the hunter :mischievous:

On an aside, Parnelli - you still continuing with your car review website? I had a look around a few days ago, it's looking very nice nowadays :) I'm gonna get working on my GT blog (the link is in my sig), got some new reviews coming up.

Sorry to disappoint you Parnelli, but I'm still here! For now ;)

In all seriousness, I feel bad that I kept ducking away like that, I'mma try and make an effort to be around the forums a bit more. Maybe not like on everyday, but I'll keep up to date with what's happening. Now that I'm back playing GT4 again, and as a consequence GT2 also, I should be around a bit more. Plus I might well be over in the Motorsport forums discussing real-world racing a bit.

If I do seem to disappear for a bit, Parnelli, you have my permission to bombard my inbox with nagging messages, okay? :)

Naw, I was just kidding around. I know you got other stuff to do.

-1! Good to see you're still around these parts as well.

They do indeed last the same distance - an annoying glitch on PD's part. With the SuperSofts, I think I could've gotten just enough more of an advantage to run the race on 2 stops and have enough of a gap back to 2nd to be able to make it to the line before the GT-One caught me. Just thinking about it though, if I go 13 laps at a time, to minimise tyre wear and still reach a 3-stop race, you may be right - the 30s odd I loose pitting one extra time could be made up on fresh rubber. Interesting stat - the hunted may become the hunter :mischievous:

On an aside, Parnelli - you still continuing with your car review website? I had a look around a few days ago, it's looking very nice nowadays :) I'm gonna get working on my GT blog (the link is in my sig), got some new reviews coming up.

Oh yes. I just finished up a couple GT4 reviews last week...'61 Jaguar E-Type and Volvo 240 wagon. :) I haven't started any GT5 reviews yet because there's no machine tests or Test Curse in that game. :grumpy: And one of my tenets for reviewing a car properly is to properly test it first in the quarter-mile and 1,000 meter-dash.

Looking forward to some of your reviews. 👍

Heh :)

Volvo 240 :yuck: :crazy: (cold shiver) I tried doing a Top Gear-style thing with that, trying to turn it into a half-decent racer (Volvo did actually take the 850 T5 estate racing in the 1990s), but even with all the mods on it, the constant scraping of the front bumper on the tarmac whenever I touched the brakes got old really quickly, haha! I'm interested to see what you write on it.

The Jaguar is a beaut. I've never actually driven one, although I have one in my garage somewhere, I might give it a spin on Citta di Aria proving ground. That and SSR5 are the two courses I give cars a test drive on first. I usually enter them in a race series, as I did with the Hommel Berlinette I reviewed last time I was into the game. Have a read of that when you've got the chance. My next few reviews will go:

1. TVR Cerbera Speed 12
2. Renault Clio Sport V6
3. Aussie Showdown - Holden Monaro & Holden Commadore VS FPV F6 Typhoon & FPV GT.

The loss of machine tests sucks. That was part of the fun, man! Don't tell me they've gone all gritty and serious on this one?! Haha. Still though, shame about that. Fancy joining me in lobbying for a brand new HD version of the GT2 test course to be released as DLC? The best one ever IMO - the feeling of doing 300mph down the back stretch on that narrow asphalt with the trees flying by either side was amazing. Still have great memories of underdog victories against the drag races at the Turbo Car Number 1 cup in that race too :D

Heh :)

Volvo 240 :yuck: :crazy: (cold shiver) I tried doing a Top Gear-style thing with that, trying to turn it into a half-decent racer (Volvo did actually take the 850 T5 estate racing in the 1990s),

REally? Where did you find that info? I looked for information about the Estate version doing actual racing but coudn't find any. I know the sedan & coupe versions participated in rallies back in the day.

but even with all the mods on it, the constant scraping of the front bumper on the tarmac whenever I touched the brakes got old really quickly, haha! I'm interested to see what you write on it.

The Jaguar is a beaut. I've never actually driven one, although I have one in my garage somewhere, I might give it a spin on Citta di Aria proving ground. That and SSR5 are the two courses I give cars a test drive on first. I usually enter them in a race series, as I did with the Hommel Berlinette I reviewed last time I was into the game. Have a read of that when you've got the chance. My next few reviews will go:

I especially like this line:

Performance credentials are therefore thin on the ground, and you sense this as soon as you depress the accelerator. Depress is the right word, as it is quite depressing

Your writing style is more mature than mine, which is very cool. I know I can get a bit childish at times. I've always hoped someone else would come along and do the same thing I'm doing, but in a more serious manner. Not that I'm not serious, but...you get the point.

1. TVR Cerbera Speed 12
2. Renault Clio Sport V6
3. Aussie Showdown - Holden Monaro & Holden Commadore VS FPV F6 Typhoon & FPV GT.

The loss of machine tests sucks. That was part of the fun, man! Don't tell me they've gone all gritty and serious on this one?! Haha. Still though, shame about that.

Yeah, it's dumb. Four games in a row with a true testing facility track and they finally get rid of it. How are we supposed to do drag racing in a true quarter mile (well, 400 meter) stint now?

Fancy joining me in lobbying for a brand new HD version of the GT2 test course to be released as DLC?

I would. when is this supposed to be out?

Last edited:
REally? Where did you find that info? I looked for information about the Estate version doing actual racing but coudn't find any. I know the sedan & coupe versions participated in rallies back in the day.

My dad told me originally about it, and I thought he was making it up, so I looked it up. They entered it in the 1994 British Touring Car Championship, and they used the estate because, at the time, spoilers and aerodynamic aids were banned, so they figured that the higher roofline of the estate might help them in that respect. Here's an extract from the Volvo 850 Wikipedia page about it:

'Volvo joined forces with the famous and very successful Tom Walkinshaw Racing team (TWR) in 1994 to build an 850 Estate touring car to compete in the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC). Despite much criticism, the 850 Estate performed well, with a best placed finish of fifth, and a best qualifying spot of third. It was driven by Rickard Rydell and Jan Lammers and Volvo finished sixth in manufacturers' standings in the 1994 season. In 1995, TWR and Volvo built the 850 Saloon BTCC Racer and this won five races, qualified on pole position 13 times with Rickard Rydell and Tim Harvey and finished third in the championship. The switch was due mainly to the change in BTCC regulations which allowed aerodynamic aids (spoilers) which effectively ended any chance of the Estate being fully competitive.'

Here's some pictures I found on a quick Google search:

Really great car. I loved the BTCC in the 90s, man. It was awesome, great series, great cars, great racing. Now it's just overrated hot hatches driven by overly aggressive dudes, with all the pretty decent drivers going straight to WTCC or the Superstars Series in Europe.

I especially like this line:

Performance credentials are therefore thin on the ground, and you sense this as soon as you depress the accelerator. Depress is the right word, as it is quite depressing

Your writing style is more mature than mine, which is very cool. I know I can get a bit childish at times. I've always hoped someone else would come along and do the same thing I'm doing, but in a more serious manner. Not that I'm not serious, but...you get the point.

Hahah! I'm quite proud of that line, actually, not wanting to sound arrogant. Funny, I thought it was kinda the other way round. Although sometimes you can get quite light-hearted in your reviews, but I like that. I suppose I can only review one way - even on my serious reviews on my fanzine blog, where I review punk bands and albums, I take that sort of tone with my reviews. It gives people something to read, yknow?

Yeah, it's dumb. Four games in a row with a true testing facility track and they finally get rid of it. How are we supposed to do drag racing in a true quarter mile (well, 400 meter) stint now?

Yeah, that does suck. Is there at least a drag race track of any kind? Any kind of machine tests at all? Well, I suppose with no Test Course, there wouldn't be...👎

I would. when is this supposed to be out?

Hah! I dunno, man. I just heard they would be releasing DLC along the way, with new cars and stuff, so Im wondering if it's worth emailing someone and seeing if we can get something going to get the GT2 Test Course into the game. If they went to the effort of coding the Top Gear Test Track, then surely this won't take long, will it? :P

^OH, that's the Volvo 850 series, though. I was talking about the 240 Estate. Cool find, though.

As far as your question goes. One can drag race in GT5's new SS Route 7 track...but it's not an official quater-mile (400M whatever). It's more like a place to get a more of an amateur drag going.

I agree that we desperately needs a test track in GT5. Both GT1/2 and GT3/4 versions. SSR7 is for ultimate top speed testing, not for timed tests. I think we can place the blame on the TG Test Track though. All start/stop tests are conducted there now :grumpy:

The problem with SS Route 7 is it has elevation changes. Plenty of track to get a decent Max Speed time going, but if you're going up hill or down hill even slightly, you're not getting an accurate reading of the car's truest potential because momentum is being affected by an incline or decline of the track's surface.

Way to go us...hijack Falcoln's thread. :) Yah us! Woo hoo!

True that. I notice going thru the tunnel in outbound direction (away from start line) yields 2-3 km/h slower speeds than the inbound direction. It's a veeeeeeery slight incline, but it's enough to make an effect at high speeds.

The TG test track is too bumpy to be a true drag test facility as well. We really need a proper Test Course back :mad:

[/off topic mode stop]

Hahah! Feel free guys. I agree with the both of you anyway :) I'm still stuck at the GT2 test track, slipstreaming the drag cars at 220mph :D

Hahaha! Ive just been re-reading this thread, and the off-topic discussion about the Test and Tune facility in GT5 not being there...guess someone at PD heard our cries huh? :')

Back