Why can't I view my Torque output in lb-ft ?

Octane100
Just a quick question folks,

I am bemused by one thing, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the torque output setting from the current one which outputs in Kg/fm a unit of measure I am not so familiar with. I'm too used to lb-ft.

I have had a look within the options menu but the only units I can change there are the Mph/Kmh.

Is it even possible to change it ?

Thanks in advance.

No, irritatingly you can't.

For the car list I've been working on (sticky thread, top of this forum) I've been converting kgm to lbft, because having imperial horsepower and metric torque, when horsepower is torque per second, is ridiculous. If you want a ballpark conversion, multiply kgm by 7 for lbft. If you can do decimals in your head, multiply by 7.2 - it's close enough.

In my neck of the woods, we measure torque in Nm. (Newton metres). It's teh suck that I can't see it in this game. Also, I can't seem to configure my HP unit of preference.

In the game options under units if I remember correctly for HP, don't remember if torque has a separate setting or is dependent on the engine power units, but check game options in any case.

In the game options under units if I remember correctly for HP, don't remember if torque has a separate setting or is dependent on the engine power units, but check game options in any case.

It doesn't.

Weird... I could swear it was there before the 1.05 patch anyways. I had to go look at my PS3 to verify this, but if you look in the GT Manual; 16.1 it clearly states that Units menu under options allows the user to set units for "speed, power, and torque."

Weird... I could swear it was there before the 1.05 patch anyways. I had to go look at my PS3 to verify this, but if you look in the GT Manual; 16.1 it clearly states that Units menu under options allows the user to set units for "speed, power, and torque."

The GT4 manual clearly stated that B-Spec could be accelerated up to 5x - and was the source of many questions in the GT4 forum as a result - when 3x was the maximum.

I run a console on v1.05 and a console without any updates. No option to switch torque units.

Well I have my conversion set to MPH and my torque is rated in ft-lb.

Do you guys use KPH? Could that be the cause.

It would be nice to be able to fine tune the measurements more, especialy measuring weight in lbs like they did in GT1 or 2.

Well I have my conversion set to MPH and my torque is rated in ft-lb.

Do you guys use KPH? Could that be the cause.

It would be nice to be able to fine tune the measurements more, especialy measuring weight in lbs like they did in GT1 or 2.

In the European version you're allowed to choose a set of measurements - we can have "Turkish/Greek" (which one would assume is km/h and PS) or "XMB setting" (which would be whatever your XMB is set to - English being mph and hp, other European countries would be km/h and PS), but there's no function to change torque units - you get kgm and nothing else.

North American settings are, according to what I've seen, mph and hp, with lbft for torque. I'd imagine Japanese settings will be PS, km/h and Nm.

You're not alone.

Since Imperial horsepower is lbft/s (1hp = 550lbft/s), a car rated for power in hp should always be rated for torque in lbft. Since metric horsepower is kgm/s (1PS = 75kgm/s), a car rated for power in PS/CV should always be rated for torque in kgm. There shouldn't ever be a mix of the two.

Of course, us Brits then weigh our cars in kg and screw the whole plan up. Still, at least we don't buy petrol in litres (metric) and measure the economy in miles (imperial) per gallon (imperial), eh?

Of course, us Brits then weigh our cars in kg and screw the whole plan up. Still, at least we don't buy petrol in litres (metric) and measure the economy in miles (imperial) per gallon (imperial), eh?

You know, up until you pointed that out, I never thought twice about it.
That does seem silly:dopey:

Also, why can't I view my power only in kW and not PS? I am aware that kW has become the official unit, but almost anyone still uses PS here. There was PS in previous GTs, so why not GT5? Taking these options out of the game when they were in Prologue leaves me baffled.

I just noticed that my game is using ft-lbs as default for torque unit, I also read the manual that says it can be changed in Option which it is not true.
friends of mine were talking about torque while we were racing online, and he told how much torque his car had in unit of kg/fm, but mine is still in lb-fts which is not the unit that I am used to use.
this is annoying me quite a bit, so is there any solution to fix ?

Of course, us Brits then weigh our cars in kg and screw the whole plan up. Still, at least we don't buy petrol in litres (metric) and measure the economy in miles (imperial) per gallon (imperial), eh?[/color][/b]

That's one thing I've always found weird in Canada, they usually offer fuel economy in Liters/100km, while the entire population is far more accustomed to miles/gallon, regardless of the fact that we buy gas by the liter, and not per gallon!

Also, our gallon is different than the imperial gallon, so trying to compare cars using Canadian and American websites, is a touch frustrating, hahaha!

In my neck of the woods, we measure torque in Nm. (Newton metres). It's teh suck that I can't see it in this game. Also, I can't seem to configure my HP unit of preference.

Bram...
Nm is almost the same as Kg/fm.
Just multiply by 9.8 (10, to make it easier)
So if your car has 12.8 Kg/fm, it has 128Nm. (well 125.44 to be exact)

In Dutch:
Slome duikelaar :D
Newton is gewoon gewicht maal versnelling, dus Kg*9.8 m/s2, en dat dan maal meter.
Eintovuuuhhh !
(Ik Valkenswaard trouwens ;) )
Jij werkt niet toevallig bij Philips Lighting ?

Just a quick question folks,

I am bemused by one thing, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the torque output setting from the current one which outputs in Kg/fm a unit of measure I am not so familiar with. I'm too used to lb-ft.

I have had a look within the options menu but the only units I can change there are the Mph/Kmh.

Is it even possible to change it ?

Thanks in advance.

Here is mine for the Toyota 7 RC

874 HP/8000 RPM
590ft/lbs/7500RPM
620 kg
Performance Points 741
I'm from Canada.

It was in post 2.

No, irritatingly you can't.

For the car list I've been working on (sticky thread, top of this forum) I've been converting kgm to lbft, because having imperial horsepower and metric torque, when horsepower is torque per second, is ridiculous. If you want a ballpark conversion, multiply kgm by 7 for lbft. If you can do decimals in your head, multiply by 7.2 - it's close enough.

a friend of mine seems quite sure that there was an option for it sometimes ago, and he now checked for me and the option has gone. I really hope there will be a fix for it in the next update
Cheers

a friend of mine seems quite sure that there was an option for it sometimes ago, and he now checked for me and the option has gone. I really hope there will be a fix for it in the next update
Cheers

I run a console on v1.05 and a console without any updates. No option to switch torque units.

There was never any option.

Cheers

Kaz will probably make it available in GT6 and the drag strip in GT12.

So the conclusion is what?! I can't have "km/h" and "Nm" in the same setting. What the heck, I'm in europe and I love my metric system :) Hopefully this will be fixed. I'ts alot easier then fixing the shadows :)

Back