1x controller down and about to give up!

• Thread starter JVB
  • 86 comments

JVB

THUG_STYLE_101
Hello to all.

Going to make this short but will add more later due to it being stupid o'clock in the morning and I really should be in the land on nodd.

I am on day 5 of doing little else but spinning cars off the track while attempting to pull off some kind of drift.

Day 2 was a dark day in my gaming life as I got that mad the red mist descended and I lost it and smashed a controller. For that I am ashamed but I am still dead set on becoming a virtual drift king.

Over the last few days I have collected and modified about 8/9 different cars and messed with tunes countless times and every car/ every track I have the same end result = fail.

It would seem that it is very easy to tune a car to slide regardless of what power the car is but 5 days of front end gripping and stuffing the nose into the apex of the corner your trying to drift through, or having the back end overtaking the front causing you to lose all points built up through the last corner(s) and come to a painfully slow halt in the middle of the track is really starting to get to me.

The past 2 nights have been spent trying to get my head around the settings of the car, what ever that car may be but I feel that I'm getting more and more frustrated by making major adjustments (eg. Start with STD suspension settings that are given when you upgrade to coil overs and then set LSD right down as low as it'll go on all 3, take 2 grip test laps, back to LSD settings and max one of them, 2 grip laps back in again, max another, so on and so on.
Yes the car does act differently as peramiters are changed but the results are always the same = unstable and unable to progress with my drifting quest.

While I think about it,,,,,,,,, Anyone know if you can turn off the booing from the spectators when you mess up? That in it's self is soul destroying enough for me to think about giving up and go play black ops again. what were the makers thinking? "let's get the players to Learn a skill and demoralise them each and every time they make a mistake by booing them! That'll keep them interested for sure!"
Right, that's it for the minute but I will make an effort to wright up in better detail what I've got and how I've got to where I an now.

So much for keeping it short!

If you want to drift online I'll tell you everything I know (although I use a wheel). I could also send you one of my drift cars see if thats any better.

Andway PSN is BLG_BOYY if you want to add me.

I think you should move your training over to Practice runs in GT mode. Then you dont have to get booed at and you can just focus on going round the track as many laps as you like.

I completely agree with you man... I've been trying to get into drifting for the past week or so. Let me tell you though, I've never gotten so upset at a game before. I have purchased god knows how many vehicles that people here have recommended. I've tried at least 30 or so different tunes from multiple users.
It really aggravates me because i'm still not making any progress. I don't know if it's because i am one of the unfortunate few that is stuck with the blasted paddle.

I remember being on GT5 prologue and starting out drifting in a 350z. I kept spinning out, oversteering into walls on eiger. But one day I just got it, I went in at the right speed and everything came together from about a months practice. I could then drift eiger with ease and get great scores in drift mode, it was the best feeling. Now I can pull off drifts without even thinking and I now run and manage my own successful drift team. Its a long road but once you get there it will all be worth it. 👍

I remember being on GT5 prologue and starting out drifting in a 350z. I kept spinning out, oversteering into walls on eiger. But one day I just got it, I went in at the right speed and everything came together from about a months practice. I could then drift eiger with ease and get great scores in drift mode, it was the best feeling. Now I can pull off drifts without even thinking and I now run and manage my own successful drift team. Its a long road but once you get there it will all be worth it. 👍

If i sent you a friend request, do you think that you could possibly coach me...? :dopey:

I know the feeling. In prologue the only car I could drift was the R8. Then in GT5 I couldn't even do that. One random day I tryed it and it worked perfect.

Kinda weird actually.

If i sent you a friend request, do you think that you could possibly coach me...? :dopey:

Im not sure about coach haha but i'll only be too happy to add you and give you pointers. But as you said its stupid O'clock so nighty night Brits. 👍

EDIT: Just saw the bit about black ops. Dont do it! I got black ops for christmas and its pretty dam dusty right now. Dont look back, GT5 for the win.:sly:

I was in your shoes about a month ago..

If you have the cash, buy the Amemiya RX-7, it is drift worthy off the showroom floor.

Other good drift cars:
G37 - very good
Silvia K's Dia Selection (s13) Nissan dealership - this is the car that I learned how to drift with.

As for tips: use the e-brake to turn you sideways, DONT PUNCH THE GAS (feather it), don't always have to counter steer.

Also, don't go online. Practice mode - Tsukuba or Autumn Ring Mini should be your next home until your comfy with drifting

Try the BMW z4 '03. Add the usual upgrades, but only stage 1 weight and bring the power up to around 300-320hp. This car seems to be lacking in popularity and overlooked but for those who have drifted it, we know the deal. ;)

Best thing is, all you really have to tune is the LSD to your liking.

Well well!

Just logged back in, half expecting a handful of middle finger comments from members that can, but................

No! All very helpful. A general thank you to all that have contributed to this thread so far.

My intention for this thread is to form something like a diary, no, sorry, thats a little 'old school' It will become my blog ( yeah I'm up to date with the lingo )

Right now as I write this, time is an issue. I will however give all that can be bothered better insight to the cars and tracks and settings that are currently in use ( although the settings don't really hold much weight because they are being altered frequently while I try and form some sort of understanding of what the changes do to the driftableness of the car )

I intend on uploading a few photos of my self dubbed "controller killers" for you to enjoy aswell but this post is being entered via my iPad so for the minute it's not possible.

I'll take a minute to respond directly to some of the replies.

If you want to drift online I'll tell you everything I know (although I use a wheel). I could also send you one of my drift cars see if thats any better.

Andway PSN is BLG_BOYY if you want to add me.

👍 This is very good of you. Thank you very much for a direct offer to help, I will take you up on that and promise to return anything you feel happy to send me.

I will have to look at the time difference between us to see if it's possible to join you for an online lesson one day soon.:nervous:

I kneel before you Sensei.

Do you have any posted videos? Love watching those who can although it reminds me of just how far I have to go

Edit: just seen your banner/ tag lines, I'll just go sit in the corner and perfect my wax on, wax off

Last edited:
I think you should move your training over to Practice runs in GT mode. Then you dont have to get booed at and you can just focus on going round the track as many laps as you like.

I do use GT mode practice all the time, drift within practice still boo's you but chances are you know that and what you mean is to go into time attack ( think that's what it's called without switching on to see ) so that way it's not looking for the drift criteria = no booing

This will also cloud my 'progress' or lack of, by not scoring the drift or showing when I over cook the drift by scraping my points for that corner.

Some people are never happy are they?!?!? LOL.

My personal experience is that using Drift Trial to learn actually slowed my progress. I believe the reason for that is that I had always wanted to go into turns at excessively high speeds and just flinging the car and hoping for the best.

In Time Attack/Free Run however, the sense of pressure to perform well was aleviated somewhat and that I could just get back on the track and start over without the idea of any points being lost. I know its just in my head as its practically the same environment, minus the cool flags and ticking sound of racking up points, but it helped me to just try at my own pace without those extra distractions.

Im not sure about coach haha but i'll only be too happy to add you and give you pointers. But as you said its stupid O'clock so nighty night Brits. 👍

EDIT: Just saw the bit about black ops. Dont do it! I got black ops for christmas and its pretty dam dusty right now. Dont look back, GT5 for the win.:sly:

Might of been the time in the morning, but the coaching request was not from me ( sorry for pointing this out if you knew that already and I'm the one getting my wires crossed )

It will take a lot to push me back to black ops but I'm not far from it. Not going to enter into a long winded rant about the game as it's not the place to do it but the lag I get playing online is beyond belief. I see target I start to squeeze aim and I'm a gonner. View kill cam and the guy has ran past an opening, seen me in peripheral vision and turned round,aimed and started shooting off to one side of me and centred sights on me while firing in order to drop me. And all of this happened in an impossibly small amount of time as far as my game goes.
I'm far from the best but I can tell the difference between my game play not being good enough and there being other forces affecting the game result .

I was in your shoes about a month ago..

If you have the cash, buy the Amemiya RX-7, it is drift worthy off the showroom floor.

As for tips: use the e-brake to turn you sideways, DONT PUNCH THE GAS (feather it), don't always have to counter steer.

Also, don't go online. Practice mode - Tsukuba or Autumn Ring Mini should be your next home until your comfy with drifting

Being stupid, where do I find the RX-7? Is it one that's got graphics all over it?
I have 3, an old old one 1980's type, an all out race one in mainly yellow with a race body and lastly a blue one with graphics all over it but in it's standard body form

You know, I think this is one of the main problems I face. I'm finding it nigh on impossible to hold a throttle position, I do however feather the throttle as best I can but it is a full range feather, nothing to full once or twice, maybe even 3 times before slide out in limbo or spin if I was slow enough entering the corner in the first place

Try the BMW z4 '03. Add the usual upgrades, but only stage 1 weight and bring the power up to around 300-320hp. This car seems to be lacking in popularity and overlooked but for those who have drifted it, we know the deal. ;)

Best thing is, all you really have to tune is the LSD to your liking.

Don't have a Z4 but I did pick up am M coupe?or is it an M roadster? Think that's what it was named. A real life rare model that was based on a z3 but it's got a fixed roof and an estate looking rear.

I suppose it's going to be a totally different beast though

Dont judge yourself based on the point scores because they are not judging properly. If you want some help learning I could try to lend you a hand. I am in eastern time.

My psn is

RogueAssassin4

JVB
I do use GT mode practice all the time, drift within practice still boo's you but chances are you know that and what you mean is to go into time attack ( think that's what it's called without switching on to see ) so that way it's not looking for the drift criteria = no booing

This will also cloud my 'progress' or lack of, by not scoring the drift or showing when I over cook the drift by scraping my points for that corner.

Some people are never happy are they?!?!? LOL.

Ohh I misunderstood you a little bit. Thought you were practicing your drifts in the Arcade mode drifting events. And it seems you're pracicing to get the most scores out of the corners (wich is nothing wrong with that). So if you dont want the booing you could try to practice in time attack/free run and aim to initiate the drifts withing the "ideal line" areas of the track, since that seems to be where you get the most points.

In addition to the car you're using you should try giving a different track a go. I recommend the Autumn Ring Mini (Reverse) as after a few laps of just trying to hold a racing line around the circuit you should notice you start linking a couple of drifts through the corners and before you know it you're drifting the full-track (All 0.8 miles of it)

JVB
Being stupid, where do I find the RX-7? Is it one that's got graphics all over it?
I have 3, an old old one 1980's type, an all out race one in mainly yellow with a race body and lastly a blue one with graphics all over it but in it's standard body form

You know, I think this is one of the main problems I face. I'm finding it nigh on impossible to hold a throttle position, I do however feather the throttle as best I can but it is a full range feather, nothing to full once or twice, maybe even 3 times before slide out in limbo or spin if I was slow enough entering the corner in the first place

Haha its cool, Its under REM (all the way to the right, middle) in the Dealership. Its blue, and yes, gfx all over it)

Drifting in gt5 is weird, you can take the corners really slow and still make it around. The feather should be a 2-3 RPM range, not a full range feather, just enough to keep those wheels spinning.

Do you use automatic or manual?

I say forget the points, and practice in your own private lounge (this way you have no lagg from others, you dont get boo's, and the physics are not set to make drifting easy.) You could also practice in GT Life>Practice>Time attack. You can always save the replays from practice, online you have to do the race to save the replay.

Trust me; it is far more rewarding to start, continue and end a drift perfectly (all in your own opinion) then get a 1000 point drift score (okay i have no idea if thats alot or not but you catch my drift right!), then when you go online and people who start out start saying stuff like: wow you can really drift good, can you teach me!!! Thats really rewarding...

And i hope your not trying to drift with automatic gears; thats pretty much impossible..

My tips: stick with one car on one track, but try some different settings or tunes if you can find them. Even if you dont know whats good in tuning, you will feel if something gets your setup closer to a good drift setup, or further away.. (makes it better or worse in your opinion)

Im in the GMT+1 timezone so if your in there somewhere too; add me and we can drift (or fail) together.

Drifting is simple. Just remember you don't need huge amounts of power to drift, but at least 300 is good. A fully tuned S13 Silvia should do the job.. mine has around 400hp.

Remember this: Stiff front, soft rear for the suspension but not too stiff or too soft (play around until you feel it's right for you). Negative camber at the front is important aswell as the rear.. my Silvia has 5.0 camber front and 4.2 at the rear.

The best advice I can offer is keep trying but don't try too hard.. take your time. Going full tilt into a corner and yanking the handbrake on and trying to drift around the corner at 200 km/h wont work. But that said if you haven't crashed while drifting then you're not very good at it. ;)

Use the throttle wisely and don't always hit the rev limiter. gears 2nd through to 4th are the best gears for drifting but remember each car is very different in it's own way. Drifting a turbocharged 4cyl car will feel different as you may require slightly more effort to get the drift started (eg the handbrake) compared to drifting a N/A V8, V8's have alot of torque so you don't need to use the handbrake to start the drift just double tap the throttle, but the throttle is very sensitive so holding it flat might cause you to spin out.

I'm not the best at drifting either but I hope this can help you somewhat.

JVB
I kneel before you Sensei.

Do you have any posted videos? Love watching those who can although it reminds me of just how far I have to go

Edit: just seen your banner/ tag lines, I'll just go sit in the corner and perfect my wax on, wax off

Haha, i'm no Mr Miagi. Im just about as good as the next drifter if not worse. Keep practicing though because theres no two ways about it, you will eventually get it and it will be woth it.:sly:

Haha its cool, Its under REM (all the way to the right, middle) in the Dealership. Its blue, and yes, gfx all over it)

Drifting in gt5 is weird, you can take the corners really slow and still make it around. The feather should be a 2-3 RPM range, not a full range feather, just enough to keep those wheels spinning.

Do you use automatic or manual?

I do have that car and I spent about 20min on the autumn ring mini forwards with the stock turbo (have the stage3 but thought as some have said 300-350hp I thought I'd do well to revert for the time being)

I tuned for all of 1min, no major changes other than -camber front/rear. stronger at the rear and slammed it to the maximum front and a couple of mm off maximum at the back and softened the rear springs+roll bar If anyone really wants to know the precise settings I can post them but I'm sure someone has already covered this model and done a better job.

result is that I can ALMOST keep the car in a drift like state.
Looks like I could be on to something.

AT/MT? well I have never wanted to drive MT in a game before but after 2 days of attempting with AT I sought out some form of referance (Hi there GTPlanet) so the result was a switch to MT. has been easier than I thought but dont think I'd cope in a structured race. I remapped the right analog up and down for my shift as I have always used L2/R2 modded with those trigger clip-on things as brake and accelerate

HAY! thats a thought!! To start with, the stick had go and stop mapped. If I reverted would that aid a more controlled 'feathering' of the throttle? Think I'll have to put that to the test.

JVB
👍 This is very good of you. Thank you very much for a direct offer to help, I will take you up on that and promise to return anything you feel happy to send me.

I will have to look at the time difference between us to see if it's possible to join you for an online lesson one day soon.:nervous:

I'll add you or whatever. Also don't worry about giving me anything, or sending it back. Unless you have any matte or chrom paints.

SpecialStageRoute5_6.jpg
[/IMG]

This was the car that got my mind set that I wanted to drift. one look at her and I knew it was made to go sideways

Back