CLOSED: GT5 Photomode/Photoshop Competition Week 01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia
Adelaide
Revolution52
pscompheadern.jpg

Further explanation of theme, which is chosen by competition hosts, Revolution. and GT5photographer:

Welcome to the GT5 Photoshop competition! For the first week, something easy... Adverts!
They can be for any car or any company, and be in any format. Be creative and have fun!

pscomprulesn.jpg

• Photoshop or another image editing program MUST be used.
  • Each entry must have some part from a Photomode picture from Gran Turismo 5.
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • It is recommended you host your image on ImageShack, Photobucket, or Flickr.
  • Not sure how to post a thumbnail or preview image? Read this sticky!
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • When submitting, use either a thumbnail or a preview image, linked to the full-sizer.
  • No full-size images posted in thread; your entry will be ignored.
  • A preview image is not only allowed, but encouraged! However, preview images can
    not exceed 500 pixels in either direction. This includes borders or drop shadow effects.
    [*]Winner of the public vote gets to choose the theme for the following week.
    [*]Public vote winners also get to select the top 20 entries for the poll the following week.
    [*]When selecting the top 20 entries the following week, the theme chooser will also select a "Judge's Choice" winner, the entry which they feel has best captured the theme.
    [*]The Judge's Choice winner gets to choose whether the following week will be either a Graphics Week or a Manipulation Week.
    [*]A graphics week will be primarily graphic design and layout based, for example magazine covers, or movie posters.
    [*]A manipulation week will be primarily based on photo manipulation, for example creating race cars in game, or making multi-car composites.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
pscompeditingn.jpg

Being a Photoshop competition, there are no limits on editing. Use every tool at your disposal to create the desired effect. Feel free to utilise HDR techniques, photo stitching, whatever you like! Your only real restriction is that you must use some part of a GT5 Photomode image! The main thing to remember is to be creative and have fun!

pscompdeadlinen.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the first week of the GT5 Photoshop competition!
Those of you who were around back in the glory days of GT4 will surely remember the Photomode/Photoshop competition of old, the variety of interesting themes and creative entries, showcasing some of the very best talent here at GTPlanet. It really was just a matter of time before that competition returned in GT5 guise, and here it is!

This is how things will go down. The competition will be jointly hosted by GT5photographer and myself. The entry thread will be open for one to two weeks, depending on the difficulty level of the theme.

The competition will have two categories, Graphics and Manipulation. These categories will alternate week to week, depending on the choices of the competition winners. Themes coming from the Graphics category will be heavily graphic design and visual communication based, for example magazine covers, movie posters etcetera. Themes from the Manipulation category will be more about manipulating the photos you have taken, for example a 'pimp my ride' style theme where you add bodykits and big wheels to your cars, or a police car theme, where you convert your cars to police cars using Photoshop.

This week's theme is a Graphics theme, Adverts! Something fairly easy, so the entry thread will be open for one week. At the end of the entry period, the judge for that week will select his or her Top 20 images to go into the public vote, as per usual. But for something different, the judge will also select their Judge's Choice winner, the entry which, in their opinion, has best captured the theme. These choices will then be PMed to either GT5photographer or myself.

Upon receiving the Top 20 and Judge's Choice, we will put up the public voting thread, which will be open for the best part of the week, as per usual. The Judge's Choice winner will not be revealed at this time in order to avoid swaying the voting.

At the end of the week, the winner of the public vote as well as the Judge's Choice winner will be announced. At this point in time, both winners (if they are separate, I won't be surprised if often they're the same entry :)) will be PMed. The Judge's Choice winner will be asked to select a category for the next week, Graphics or Manipulation. After this choice has been received, the public vote winner will choose the theme from the selected category!

The reasoning behind this is so that the entries can be judged not only on mass appeal, but also on how well the capture the original theme. Plus, it also gives another little fun thing for the Judge to do each week.

So that's how things will go, please read the rules and chuck in an entry! If anybody is unsure about anything, or if I've been unclear anywhere, please do not hesitate to PM either me or GT5photographer!

Note: Old hands will recognise the banner images as some of the very best winners from the GT4 Photoshop Competition. These will be swapped out in the future for winners of this competition!

This looks awesome. I've yet to get into the comps mainly due to making extra time for them but I feel like this one is way up my ally. Particularly the graphics side. Not sure I'd be that good at the manipulation stuff compared to others, I'm not that great at airbrushing. :indiff:

Took a good look at the GT4 winners of this stuff and there's some seriously good stuff there.

Anyway I'm definitely going to make an effort and try and enter this regularly. 👍

W00p it's here! I think what needs to be added to the rules (under editing) is that the original 'work-from-image' must be a shot from GT5... Unless... this isn't the case?

[*]Each entry must have some part from a Photomode picture from Gran Turismo 5.

It does state in the rules that you need some part of a GT5 Photomode image, which covers it I think! But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the point under Editing. :)

Ooooh... you might want to make bold and red "preview images can
not exceed 500 pixels in either direction. This includes borders or drop shadow effects."

Ooooh... you might want to make bold and red "preview images can
not exceed 500 pixels in either direction. This includes borders or drop shadow effects."

Hmm, I know it has been a problem in the other comps... but being a dedicated Photoshop comp I'd *like* to think that the extra time people would spend on their entries would mean that they'd read the rules so as not to be disqualified as well... I'll see if it becomes a problem here like it has elsewhere, and if it does then I'll surely implement something very much like that.

I'm in total agreement with Rev on this, this is a more elite and more time consuming competition, if people cannot be bothered to read the rules well maybe they don't deserve a spot to compete. I think the PMC and the 2.0 comp shouldn't babysit people who don't read, and honestly, it might be a bit harsh to not accept an entry due to small things, but I don't see why people can't read. Not to say I/Rev won't be frequenting the forum to remind anyone to fix their entry if it doesn't fit the rules though. I'm excited for this to start and I can't wait to see what this community will bring. Although I am a bit sad I won't be entering many and especially this advert theme.:ouch: Good Luck all!

FINAL ENTRY

Pretty straightforward, this one.

Click to enlarge

I would just call this the Advanced 3.0/Unlimited competition.

Hey Suz,
I did toy with the idea of calling it 3.0, but in the end I decided that I didn't want it tied too closely with the 2.0 Advanced competition because it doesn't really share much with it in terms of philosophy. As I said in the discussion thread, I feel that the PS comps have always been more about photo manipulation rather than a photography contest, so I was reluctant to use the 3.0 name. Photoshop Unlimited comp isn't a bad idea though.. GT5photographer very much open to suggestions for names, standard "GT5 Photoshop Competition" is a bit plain and blends in with the standard Photomode competition.

@GT5photographer - Hmm, maybe if we don't get too many entries there'll be enough room for us to chuck in an entry ourselves :P

@Moglet - Looks great! Nicely done :D

You mean like a GIF image? I'm not so sure it'd work in a poll-type situation... so I think maybe not.

ahh sorry for less info on my post , yes correct gif, well i could make a little advertisement video :P but i guess the size would be too big .

anyway iam looking forward for this

cheers

Can we get a definition of "advert" - because some posters advertise something, and some do not... also, we're allowed to change the entry once just as in other comps, correct?

I cannot wait to throw something together for this. First week and these are already looking amazing. FYI I showed these to my graphic design professors, both love them.

Man, four very well put together pieces of work so far.
Moglet, I'm loving what your picture says, without saying it, and Vonie's rally bred is an amazing effort too 👍

Can we get a definition of "advert" - because some posters advertise something, and some do not... also, we're allowed to change the entry once just as in other comps, correct?

Just think of Ads you would find a Magazine. It DOESN'T have to advertise a car, but it has to be some sort of ad that includes a GT5 photomode image. So if you can make something out of it that's fine then.

Whoa! Awesome work in here so far! As a student of advertising and public relations, I'm definitely gonna try to enter if I can find the time.

Final Entry

I'm not the best with photoshop, and honestly this is the first time I have used it for something other than making cars for Car Town. Hope you guys like the idea, it's probably a little different than most other entries.

scottsferrari by khilchey, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back