GTP_ty00123
2010 Volvo C30 R-Design

Volvo-launches-C30-R-Design-sports-coupe-18010.jpg

2010-Volvo-C30-Front-Side-View-588x387.jpg

Layout - FF
Transmission Type - 6-spd Manual/5-spd Geartronic
Engine Type - I5 turbo
Valves - 20v
Displacement - 2,521 cc (2.5 L; 153.8 cu in)
Max Power - 230 PS (169 kW; 227 hp)@5000
Max Torque - 320 N·m (236 lb·ft)@1500-5000
Engine Size cc - 2521

Wheelbase - 2,640 mm (103.9 in)
Length - 2007-2010: 4,252 mm (167.4 in)
Width - 2007-2010: 1,782 mm (70.2 in)
Height - 1,447 mm (57.0 in)
Curb weight - 1,331 kg (2,930 lb)-1,347 kg (2,970 lb)

Top Speed - 149
0-60 mph - 6.2
0-62 mph - 6.7​

Holds zero interest for me, and I hate that rear window design. And taillight design. And what I can see of the side. And the drivetrain.

The engine's a little interesting, but that's not enough to save it.

Sound made of win.
Reasonably pleasing exterior.
Lolvo.
Turbo.

Cool. Not Sub-Zero (the Polestar C30 qualifies for that) but still very cool.

Driven by people who sparkle. Uncool.

Worse product placement ever.

Why would someone who can't die, with ninja reflexes and an oh so 'ooh I'm all deep and mysterious and slightly dangerous' demure drive a safe family car.

Only two kinds of people would consider this car cool. Those who appreciate it's technical merits, geeks. And those who like the reserved, sleeper nature of it, boring.

Worse product placement ever.

Why would someone who can't die, with ninja reflexes and an oh so 'ooh I'm all deep and mysterious and slightly dangerous' demure drive a safe family car.

Only two kinds of people would consider this car cool. Those who appreciate it's technical merits, geeks. And those who like the reserved, sleeper nature of it, boring.

3 kinds.

You missed those who want to spend more money on an uglier, less able Focus ST.

I think its pretty darn cool for a hatchback. I like how it looks. Here in the stats we don't get the focus RS/ST so this is the closest you could get to a new hot hatch unless you want a MS3 or a dreadful VW Golf, both of which are a little more flamboyant. The only real downsides are the weight and that it doesn't get an LSD that I know of.

I will go with meh since the design conflicts with each other. Don't get me wrong but the rear puts it into the uncool rating and I'd say the internals put it into meh. It just feels like it does not agree with itself and tries to be something else.

Sparkly people aside, It's quite a nice looking hatchback and not too common, so still kind of rare. Plus it's a Volvo and they've made some cool cars. I voted Cool.

Even with Twilight (which, admittedly, I know NOTHING about...and am probably better off for it...) and all that...well...

Let's just say the STCC car makes up for it.

2010_volvo_c30-stcc_actf34_ns_41210_717.jpg

Yet...I'm kinda going meh, edging towards cool. I can see there it's kind of metrosexual, and even with the R-Design, the high-power inline five, and a reasonably good handling chassis, it still comes off as a bit...well...IKEA.

Combine that with the fact that it's not really the most outrageous, fastest thing out there (in street form...and to some extent in race trim,) and it starts to really center in that "meh" category.

I do note, though, in that vid...that fifth cylinder almost has a sound of it's own, like the Wright 9-cyl radials...

Okay, that pushes it over the edge to cool.

Driven by people who sparkle. Uncool.

Beat me to it. I also resent that they've called it the 'R-Design' - this isn't exactly a slow car, just call it the C30R and be done with it. Its current name just sounds like an optional extras pack...

C30R would require developing a 4WD version of the car.. 850 T5-R was an exception, other than that, R-models are AWD.

Uncool because of the Focus XR5 Turbo and bordering on Seriously because of its price compared to said XR5 Turbo.

Really? People prefer the Focus to this? I mean I'm sure that the Focus is a slightly tidier handler but really, it'd have to be God's own Focus to make up for how much of a "gentleman's sausage" you look like when you drive one.

And I know style is subjective but the Focus looks like a Korean car made before Korean cars started to become stylish. The Volvo is original.

Also, the Twilight stuff means nothing to me largely because I was completely unaware of it. Plenty of cool cars have had bad product placement before but it's never really bothered me.

The R design is an optional package. You can get the C30 without it.

As for as styling goes the rear window is a large part of why I like it so much.

Well, the car itself is cool, but the people who drive it here Stateside are not cool...

So meh.

I'll just put the whole "Twilightgate" thing aside and view the car as it really is: A competent and Cool city car.

I quite like the design, it's modern and innovative at the back and discrete and sober at the front, the engine sounds great and the interior looks pretty sharp too:

112_0907_11z+2009_volvo_c30_R-design+interior.jpg

I voted 'meh' when it deserved at least an 'uncool.'

It's in Twilight, it's Volvo, the rear window design is hideous, and so are the tail lights. Slower and more expensive than a GTi. It's ugly, too.

EDIT:

...the people who drive it here Stateside are not cool....

QFT.

Cool. I think the looks are eye catching without being offensively ugly to people who don't agree with it. I think the sound is decent. I want to try driving one

Cool

I am completely unaware that this car was used in Twilight. Ignorance is bliss.

This. Only because I've actually heard teenage twilight fans actually talk up "Edwards car" as a supercar it falls even lower to Seriously Uncool.

You would only know that if you seen the movie.....repeatedly. Seriously Uncool(Don't try to blame your gf either!)

3 kinds.

4 kinds.

The kind that used it for a seasonal event in GT5 and fell in love.

Last edited:
I've seen some of these little C Volvo's with some pretty decent tuning. And I'm only voting on the car, not any teen dream movies it's been in. It's a cool little car.

Volvos are usually driven by high school physics teachers who wear plaid shirts.

Or at least that's what my physics teacher told me as one of the reasons why he bought it.

Sub-Zero.

I love the car's shape. Funny enough, I've never seen it from the front until last page. Now it's even cooler.

Back