The big 4wd drift/making things clear thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany
Krautland
LukeCannotSkate
I just want to clarify all these problems about ''4wd drifting'' in this thread.

''4wd drifting'' is NOT the real and natural drifting as everyone knows it. The source of 4wd drifting comes from the rally sport and is used to be FASTER, not to show smoking tires and skills.

Sliding a 4wd car arround a turn is much easier than drifting with a Rwd car. You just have to slightly turn the wheels in a 4wd car to control the ''drift''. It's totally different to Rwd drifting.
And if you claim your Skyline or Subi or Evo or whatever handles and drifts like a Rwd car: It doesn't! There are still the little helping 10% Awd left.

Sliding with a 10-90 4wd car is accepted!
Having ''drift'' fun with a 10-90 4wd car is accepted!
Calling 10-90 4wd sliding ''drifting'' is NOT accepted!
Competing with a 10-90 4wd car is NOT accepted!

Nobody will hate you just because you really like to smoke the rear tires in a skyline etc.
But these cars don't fulfill the basic rules of drifting, which are:
Rwd
no driving aids

This thread should teach the 4wd ''drifters'' and should show them the right way of real drifting and if one of them says >>but i can't drift with rwd's!<< then he or she doesn't have the talent or skill to practice real drifting.

That's it...

Interesting, though what is the right way? What is our universal tire recommendation? If someone could drift AWD without the Aids is it considered drifting?

What people need to be able to differentiate between is drifting and power-sliding. Power-sliding had been around for forever, from Stirling Moss in the 50's in his BRM V16 to Roger Clark in his RS1600 in the 70's to Colin McRae in his Subaru 15 years ago. Drifting, which utilises power-sliding amongst other techniques to hold a car in a slide around a turn, has only been around since the mid-eighties.

So, as the OP said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having fun sliding around in a 4WD car, I do it quite a lot. What he didn't mention is that you can compete in 4WD cars much as they do in real life bh doing gymkhana. The very nature of the way 4WD cars slide round corners means that twinning closely is near impossible when you're taking them to the extreme, so gymkhana does away with that.

Finally, you have to ask yourself why 4WD is outlawed in all competition and why there isn't a 4WD-only drift competition?

And to those who say it's only a game and we can do what we like, yeah sure you can. But it's not only a game, it's the most realistic driving simulator on any console. If we can 'do what we like', I'll have a VW Lupo with LS1 conversion to drift in please :D

hmm...why splitting ur soul for the front wheel? To express the drift spirit, real wheel is enough.

I just want to clarify all these problems about ''4wd drifting'' in this thread.

''4wd drifting'' is NOT the real and natural drifting as everyone knows it. The source of 4wd drifting comes from the rally sport and is used to be FASTER, not to show smoking tires and skills.

Sliding a 4wd car arround a turn is much easier than drifting with a Rwd car. You just have to slightly turn the wheels in a 4wd car to control the ''drift''. It's totally different to Rwd drifting.
And if you claim your Skyline or Subi or Evo or whatever handles and drifts like a Rwd car: It doesn't! There are still the little helping 10% Awd left.

Nobody will hate you just because you really like to smoke the rear tires in a skyline etc.
Rwd
no driving aids

This thread should teach the 4wd ''drifters'' and should show them the right way of real drifting and if one of them says >>but i can't drift with rwd's!<< then he or she doesn't have the talent or skill to practice real drifting.

That's it...

Spot on!!!

Theres one of these already!
Does the drift section not get anyone to moderate these noobs who feel the need to make multiple threads about everything?!

Rwd
no driving aids

That's it...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Finally thank you

I think i got carried away....

Theres one of these already!
Does the drift section not get anyone to moderate these noobs who feel the need to make multiple threads about everything?!

^this

soon its going to be

"YOU CANNOT CALL IT DRIFTING CAUSE YOUR NOT DRIVING A MULTI-COLORED S13 RUST BUCKET WITH A BLACKTOP SR20DET AND A PURPLE DILDO SHIFTER HELLA FLUSH WITH TOGUE MAX RIMS AND MEGAN COILOVERS LIKE THE REST OF US REAL DRIFTERS BLAH BLAH BLAH....."

if you cannot drift as well as a awd then that is your own personal problem, take the baby pacifier out of your mouth and then proceed to step your gt5 drift game up and quit crying about it. Have a problem being a 2nd rate drifter then do something other then complain about how much better a noob is with an EVO then you are, get real

Last edited:
People loosely use terms nowadays that they forget the actual meaning behind stuff like this. Everyone (general term here) thinks that if their car isn't gripping and it's "sliding" around a turn then they've automatically just become a drifter....OH SNAP!!!!

WRONG.

Essentially the posts stated earlier have clarified the unique differences between powersliding and drifting..let's see how many people still fail to read..

1.DRIFTING ORIGINATED IN JAPAN.......duh

2.JAPAN'S MOST FAVORED DRIFT DVD VIDEOs "VIDEO OPTION" CLEARLY SHOW RWD,AWD skyline r32's AND NOW I HAVE SEEN ON THE HILLS OF JAPAN MEN DRIFTING FF CARS.

3.DRIFTING IS NOT ONLY FOR RWD, ONCE YOU CAN GET YOUR CAR SIDEWAYS AND COUNTER STEER IT'S CONSIDERED DRIFTING.

4.DRIFTING cannot be discriminated on because it's not sanctioned by the FIA as motorsport......it's still ganster,underground and only D1 host professional events and drifters.

AND

5. Do any of yall Drft even a RWD in REAL? how do you know the skill and effort it takes to drft a awd skyline/suby/evo?

So then you are you saying it's easier to drft a awd in the real world.

stunt drifter, what is the actual meaning of 'stuff like this'? enlighten us please

in the beginning a dude drifted a 1984 Corolla GTS in Japan, white in color, black hood, yellow fog lights, rhd, 5-speed, drk blue cloth interior. Any car other then using this for mentioned car in this exact same configuration is not actual drifting and is faking it, right ?

Everyone please keep drifting fun by enforcing this same elitism attitude

1.DRIFTING ORIGINATED IN JAPAN.......duh

2.JAPAN'S MOST FAVORED DRIFT DVD VIDEOs "VIDEO OPTION" CLEARLY SHOW RWD,AWD skyline r32's AND NOW I HAVE SEEN ON THE HILLS OF JAPAN MEN DRIFTING FF CARS.

3.DRIFTING IS NOT ONLY FOR RWD, ONCE YOU CAN GET YOUR CAR SIDEWAYS AND COUNTER STEER IT'S CONSIDERED DRIFTING.

4.DRIFTING cannot be discriminated on because it's not sanctioned by the FIA as motorsport......it's still ganster,underground and only D1 host professional events and drifters.

AND

5. Do any of yall Drft even a RWD in REAL? how do you know the skill and effort it takes to drft a awd skyline/suby/evo?

So then you are you saying it's easier to drft a awd in the real world.

I drift a single turbo RX7 irl and I drift a single turbo 05' WRX in the snow irl. The subbie will not break traction on dry pavement until going 60mph, the rx7 will not regain traction until 70mph. AWD is hands down harder to drift irl

Present Day

Taken by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)

Drifting has evolved into a competitive sport where drivers compete mostly in rear wheel drive cars, and occasionally all wheel drive cars, to earn points from judges based on various factors. At the top levels of competition, the D1 Grand Prix from Japan and now with a full series in the US have pioneered the sport.

Taken by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)

Cars
Drifting Toyota AE86

Usually, drift cars are light to moderate weight rear-wheel-drive coupes and sedans over a large range of power levels. In Japan and worldwide, the most common drift vehicles are the Nissan Silvia/180SX/200SX/240SX, Toyota AE86, Toyota KE70, Mazda RX-7, Mazda RX-8, Infiniti G35 Coupe, Nissan A31 Cefiro, Nissan C33 Laurel, Nissan Skyline (AWD versions, such as the GT-R, are often converted to RWD), Nissan 350Z, Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS, Toyota Chaser, Toyota Mark II, Toyota Soarer, Honda S2000, Toyota Supra, Dodge Viper SRT 10, Ford Mustang and Mazda Miata/MX-5.

There have also been 4WD rally cars that have been converted to RWD, such as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru Impreza WRX STi.

As an example, the top 15 cars in the 2003 D1GP,[13] top 10 in the 2004 D1GP,[14] and top 10 in the 2005 D1GP[15] were:
Nissan Silvia S15 drifting
Car Model 2003 2004 2005
Nissan Silvia S15 6 cars 5 cars 3 cars
Toyota Levin/Trueno AE86 3 cars 3 cars 2 cars
Mazda RX-7 FD3S 2 cars 1 car 2 cars
Nissan Skyline R34 1 car 1 car 1 car
Nissan Silvia S13 2 cars
Toyota Chaser JZX100 1 car
Subaru Impreza GD (RWD) 1 car
Toyota Altezza SXE10 1 car

Last edited by a moderator:
i drift a single turbo rx7 irl and i drift a single turbo 05' wrx in the snow irl. The subbie will not break traction on dry pavement until going 60mph, the rx7 will not regain traction until 70mph. Awd is hands down harder to drift irl

this is gt5!!!!!!

stunt drifter, what is the actual meaning of 'stuff like this'? enlighten us please

in the beginning a dude drifted a 1984 Corolla GTS in Japan, white in color, black hood, yellow fog lights, rhd, 5-speed, drk blue cloth interior. Any car other then using this for mentioned car in this exact same configuration is not actual drifting and is faking it, right ?

Everyone please keep drifting fun by enforcing this same elitism attitude

Dude, I'm all for Keep Drifting Fun but there is clearly a misconception to the mass. I really don't need to explain "stuff like this" because you know what I'm referring to. The actual sport of drifting itself..that's what this (and i'm sure other) topics as well will keep reiterating over and over...the fact that there is no true drifting if you don't have 100% of the power going to the rear wheels...period.

The whole exact same configuration has nothing to do with it because there are plenty of vehicles (a wide variety) to choose from to have fun with but the notorious ones seem to be the limelight of attention..including the Hachi-Roku. And in no way, shape, or form am I saying you can't have fun sliding around corners with an awd car but it most certainly is NOT what I and true enthusiast would consider or even remotely call "drifting"

Synopsis: 100% rear driven vehicle = potential drift car. Keep Drifting Fun. AWD = Fun but not quite drifting.

I'm the one with the power to close threads. And I don't think we need another one of these.

A lot of you have made it clear that you don't like 4WD "drifting."

But you don't speak for GTPlanet when you post an absolute ban on calling it drifting. You don't own the English language, and neither do we.

You don't own the Drift Forum, and neither do we. Well... to clarify, Jordan owns the Drift Subforum, and unless he issues an edict that bans it, AWD drifters are allowed in here if they want to come in.

Thread locked. If you don't like people "sliding" their precious non-RWD cars around, there's always the "ignore" function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back