"auto-throttle" ?

United States
Wilsonville, OR USA
scca_ziptie
Driving either the Formula GT or the Red Bull X1 if I close throttle completely and turn(at higher speeds) the throttle "trace" in between the speedometer and the tachometer will show %'s from like 20-60.. The most notable place to me seems to be the "esses" at Suzuka. It is quite annoying to me and I was just wondering if others experience the same thing or not...? I have unplugged all equipment and "hooked back up." Running a G27 with an old school 60gig(she's running strong w/ a cooler)....

I am curious, anybody else notice?

I'm using the DFGT and this has happened to me a few times as well. I've had it happen with the X1, FGT, and both F1 cars. I'm not sure what causes it, but it hasn't messed me up too bad.

Its because cars like those (F1,FGT etc.) need to be at hight revs to prevent stalling. If the throttle is jammed nearly wide open then I stand corrected.
Edit:It doesn't have to be at high revs just 1-2.5k maybe.

Are you saying the throttle stays open slightly?

Correct. I can have my foot completely "off throttle" but when I turn the car, gas is "applied." It is only noticable to me at higher speeds, the 130R is another good place to test this.

I know of anti-stall devices on some race cars, but they don't typically kick in at 10k + rpm to my knowledge... Just seems kind of odd, glad to hear I'm not the only person to experience this.

I'm using the DFGT and this has happened to me a few times as well. I've had it happen with the X1, FGT, and both F1 cars. I'm not sure what causes it, but it hasn't messed me up too bad.

It caught me out by surprise while running the Seb Vettel challenge at Suzuka, seemed to cause me to go off course. Went into the data analyzer to look at the data from some practice runs and noticed a "large throttle opening angle" being applied directly related to the amount of "lateral g" on the graph..

I use simulation steering, no ASM, no skid recovery, ABS 1, TCS disabled in regards to my "settings."

Odd, seems like some sort of "built in stability control.". It stabilized me right off course I can attest to that. :) What a shame.

It caught me out by surprise while running the Seb Vettel challenge at Suzuka, seemed to cause me to go off course. Went into the data analyzer to look at the data from some practice runs and noticed a "large throttle opening angle" being applied directly related to the amount of "lateral g" on the graph..

I use simulation steering, no ASM, no skid recovery, ABS 1, TCS disabled in regards to my "settings."

Odd, seems like some sort of "built in stability control.". It stabilized me right off course I can attest to that. :) What a shame.

I have had the same issue with the X2010. Makes me not want to drive it. When I have the ASM off, I want it off!

I had noticed the sound but wasn't looking at the tach. I'll keep an eye on that.

If you use the "bumper view" IMO it's easier to see it via the "throttle trace indicator" between the digital speedometer and the analog speedometer.

I've noticed this, when I turn in the x1 or FGT back and forth (haven't tried the ferrari's) the throttle will go up a little. Also, my Veryron gets quarter throttle in 1st gear when I haven't touched the gas. I can get up to 35 without hitting the gas...

I saw a video a while ago showing how Forza 3 had a constant active steering assist if you use a wheel, and I thought 'well, I'm glad GT5 has nothing in the way of compulsory assists'...

But, whatever, I can't drive the X2010 to save my life, though I had noticed it being very strange when cornering and I guess this is why. You can hear and feel it accelerate by itself, and using the pad as I do, it's difficult to drive. If the stick goes too far left or right it feels like you just get shoved off the road...

I'm probably totally wrong on this but I'm pretty sure i know what you guys are talking about... First thing that popped into my mind about it was that it was probably the LSD.. Could this be connected at all? Felt to me like it was trying to catch one side of the car back up to the other side while turning or something to that effect.. Like I said I'm probably totally wrong so don't rip on me but i thought I'd throw that out there...

I'm probably totally wrong on this but I'm pretty sure i know what you guys are talking about... First thing that popped into my mind about it was that it was probably the LSD.. Could this be connected at all? Felt to me like it was trying to catch one side of the car back up to the other side while turning or something to that effect.. Like I said I'm probably totally wrong so don't rip on me but i thought I'd throw that out there...

I have messed with the diff adjustment's with no fix. Just handling change.

Right on... I'm definitly no car/tuning expert it's just that the only times I remember experiencing this was after getting off the brakes or decelerating and it felt to me like something was still spinning to make the car lurch like that and the only thing I could think of was that it was possibly the LSD still working or something.. Well... Guess I can be of no help then!! I tried though!! LoL

Do you have ASM on? That will operate the throttle and the brakes on its own to 'balance' the car - this is much more noticeable on powerful cars of course.

Do you have ASM on? That will operate the throttle and the brakes on its own to 'balance' the car - this is much more noticeable on powerful cars of course.

Negative. I'm using my iPhone right now(pain to type), but the settings I use are listed in my second post I think. ABS is the only "aid" I have enabled.

Thanks for the input so far all, appreciated.

I was about to post a thread asking about this. Only the X2010, F10, F2007, and FGT have this "auto-throttle" thing going on. And it only happens whenever the car turns. Is this a bug with high-revving engines? Or something Polyphony deliberately programmed to make up for something missing?

EDIT:

Its because cars like those (F1,FGT etc.) need to be at hight revs to prevent stalling. If the throttle is jammed nearly wide open then I stand corrected.
Edit:It doesn't have to be at high revs just 1-2.5k maybe.
Maybe its anti-stall?
http://www.f1pulse.com/schumster/60/ask_schumster_all_question.aspx

What is the anti-stall mechanism in an F1 car?

The anti-stall mechanism is a fantastic piece of engineering that prevents stalling of an F1 car. It involves sensors that detect parameters like the engine rpm, throttle position and the load on the engine. Optimum values of these parameters that decide whether an engine is going to stall are known. When the threshold value is reached, the sensors are actuated. This action engages the throttle to raise the engine rpm to a preset value and avoids stalling.
If PD trying to model anti-stall then don't think they did a good job. It isn't supposed to engage all the time, is it?

Last edited:
Maybe its anti-stall?

If PD trying to model anti-stall then don't think they did a good job. It isn't supposed to engage all the time, is it?

Negative, it's only function is when the car's revs drop low enough to "stall the engine" which typically occurs on launch or after a spin when the driver cannot operate the clutch quick enough... If it was truly the "anti stall" they were trying to replicate, they certainly did do a terrible job at it. I have a feeling that it is more to "help" a handling issue... Too bad.

Driving either the Formula GT or the Red Bull X1 if I close throttle completely and turn(at higher speeds) the throttle "trace" in between the speedometer and the tachometer will show %'s from like 20-60.. The most notable place to me seems to be the "esses" at Suzuka. It is quite annoying to me and I was just wondering if others experience the same thing or not...? I have unplugged all equipment and "hooked back up." Running a G27 with an old school 60gig(she's running strong w/ a cooler)....

I am curious, anybody else notice?

it may be a toyota.

Well no resolve, even with switching between a G27 and a DFGT with no effect. Even tried 2 PS3's in both combo's so it's certainly "in the game." Oh well, at least I don't use the X1 too much :) Back to "real racing" for me. Thanks for the input all. Cheers.

Latest Posts

Back