TheBook

Literary Member
Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
Melkus RS1000, built from 1969-1979.

Melkus_RS1000.JPG

Built in eastern Germany during the communist regime, this little car is an outstanding achievement given the limited resources they had.
Powerered by a Wartburg 3-cylinder 2-stroke engine, it could achieve a top speed of 130mph (210 km/h) in race spec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melkus_RS_1000

I like the gullwing doors and super-low seats, but the engine..... kinda ruins it.

Well, on one hand...it basically is a car with a snowmobile engine built by communists.

on the other...that snowmobile engined little car looks stunning and can actually hit 130 miles an hour. (in race trim. which makes me wonder what it does in street trim.)

Meh. no...cool. The fact that it was actually built under a communist regime, a sporting vehicle in a place where decadence is frowned upon...cool.

I knew I had seen that car somewhere
I vote cool, just for it's cool looks and the fact that I did not know much about it

Ultra-low driving stance and quite good styling, but doesn't have enough power to withstand those showy-off doors. Meh.

Well, on one hand...it basically is a car with a snowmobile engine built by communists.

:lol:

When you put it like that, you just make the car sound so unappealing. Can you imagine trying to explain the car to someone? They'd just laugh.

I have to go with uncool on this one, it's saved from going seriously uncool but there is something vaguely cool about former Soviet controlled areas. I think of mobsters, lots of vodka, and attractive, tall, pale skinned women with jet black hair when I think of Soviet Communism. Some of that mystique rubs off on the car saving it slightly.

It's a communist sports car. That alone makes it cool. I can imagine it parked in front of a Bond villian's house. It's S.P.E.C.T.R.E's company car.

Last edited:

When you put it like that, you just make the car sound so unappealing. Can you imagine trying to explain the car to someone? They'd just laugh.

Yeah, channeling Clarkson on that one, so that reaction is pretty much what I was expecting. X3

I have to go with uncool on this one, it's saved from going seriously uncool but there is something vaguely cool about former Soviet controlled areas. I think of mobsters, lots of vodka, and attractive, tall, pale skinned women with jet black hair when I think of Soviet Communism. Some of that mystique rubs off on the car saving it slightly.

This sums up my feelings to a T...

;)

gtsmashbros
I like the gullwing doors and super-low seats, but the engine..... kinda ruins it.

Why? What's wrong with 2 strokes engines?

And about comunism... do it really matter? I don't judge a car by political factors...
I voted Cool.

If that is a reference at me, there was a bit of the sentence that I forgot to type. :P

No no, it wasn't referred to anyone, I wrote it because in the last two GTP Cool Wall cars polled threads I saw a lot of people speaking about the "politic" value of the car polled.

dude, Politics worms it's way into everything, get used to it. Besides, doesn't seem to be hurting this car's rep any.

Back