First Time Tuner (Impreza Sedan '10)

• Thread starter GT_Nige
  • 6 comments
GT_Nige
Hi guys, I'm just looking for feedback really. I've done a few tunes on various FR and FF cars but this is my first 4WD. Let me know if you think the balance is right.

Fully tuned Impreza Sedan WRX STI '10 (509 bhp, 1236kg, 568pp)

Aero 0 / 20

Trans 186 mph (not tinkered with the ratios yet)

LSD
Initial 5 / 13
Accel 12 / 30
Brake 5 / 12

Torque dist. 15 / 85

Suspension

Height -17 / -16
Rate 7.9 / 9.4
Damp ext. 4 / 5
Damp comp. 2/3
ARB 4 / 3

Camber 1.8 / 0.7
Toe -0.15 / 0.15

Brake Balance 5 / 4

I'm unsure about the camber angles as I wasn't feeling much feedback from the changes.

Hope you like, all feedback welcome

Cheers

Nige

Sorry to say, it's not only slower than the car was stock, but also slower than all other 10 tunes submitted for February's Tuner Challenge. My best lap was 1:29.555 on Trial Mountain and with some more laps I could see a lower 1:29, but the fastest tunes submitted were able to produce lap times in the low 1:27 range.

Tunes Submitted: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...wWnIxOGJHbWpJZHc&hl=en&authkey=CPeEgakK#gid=0
Laps produced: https://spreadsheets0.google.com/cc...4SGuFn517RzPYUng&hl=en&authkey=CP2StbwP#gid=0

As far as feedback, the tune does nothing to counter the cars natural tendency to understeer. It seems to lack any maneuverability and more importantly grip in general. The most glaring flaw is your torque distribution. You're trying to turn a 4WD car into a RWD car; don't.

Lol well, thanks for trying it out. Seems I have a lot more to learn. I'll try those other settings and see if I can understand them better

Basically, you're trying so hard to make it oversteer that you've just made it have less grip ever available.

Heavy rearward torque bias never turns out well on an AWD; there's always some torque at the front anyway which will always cause a small bit of understeer on-throttle, biasing it rearward just means the rear will break away quicker without actually allowing the front to grab any harder... Meaning while it feels "less" understeery, it won't hit the same cornering speeds.

It's a shame adrenaline's tune isn't stated, it seems to be quite a bit ahead of the others

Thanks RJ, I can see your point actually.

It's a shame adrenaline's tune isn't stated, it seems to be quite a bit ahead of the others

You're reading the spreadsheet incorrectly.
The 'tunes' are on the top.
The names down the side are the individual drivers that tested them all.

So for example, across the top you see "7 - Rotary Junkie"
All the lap times below that header, are the lap times run with his specific tune. (the entire column of letter G)

Hope this helps

Back