GTP_ty00123
Peugeot 205 T16

peugeot-205-t16-450525.jpg

peugeot_205_T16.jpg

Engine
Configuration XU8T Straight 4
Location Mid, transversely mounted
Displacement 1.775 liter / 108.3 cu in
Bore / Stroke 83.0 mm (3.3 in) / 82.0 mm (3.2 in)
Compression 6.5:1
Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection
Aspiration Garrett Turbo

Drivetrain
Chassis/body body on steel tubular chassis
Suspension (fr/r) double wishbones, coil springs
Steering rack-and-pinion
Brakes ventilated discs, all-round
Gearbox 5 speed Manual
Drive All wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight 1145 kilo / 2524.3 lbs
Length / Width / Height 3820 mm (150.4 in) / 1700 mm (66.9 in) / 1354 mm (53.3 in)
Wheelbase / Track (fr/r) 2540 mm (100 in) / 1430 mm (56.3 in) / 1430 mm (56.3 in)

Performance figures
Power 200 bhp / 149 KW @ 6750 rpm
Torque 255 Nm / 188 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm
BHP/Liter 113 bhp / liter
Power to weight 0.17 bhp / kg
Top Speed 209 km/h / 130 mph
0-60 mph 6.0 s​

It's a great car, there's no denying that and 2 Top Gear rules of the cool wall apply here - but in contradicting terms. 1st, it's a European hot hatch so that makes it cool but 2nd and most important is the fact that to those who don't know exactly what it is (a mid engined Groupe B homologation special) you would have to explain what it is and that instantly takes away it's coolness. I don't make the rules!

Raw performance figures aren't all that impressive, especially not by todays standards. Even back then, the much less exotic 205 1.9 GTi wouldn't have been much slower on most roads. But it's a Group B car, probably the first true Group B car, and therefore sub-zero.

Unless your into racing you wouldn't be able to tell this wasn't some tacky modification. Also this has extra huge wheel arches so it looks like someone stole your original wheels and your replacements came off a pram.

As good as group B was, this is just uncool.

In rally trim with 400-500 bhp it might be cool, but not as a road car... just doesn't have the necessary rocketship performance to go with it's looks.

A clean 1.9 gti would be cool, this is would be uncool except for it's competition pedigree..., so meh.

This is a cool car, but if you were to roll up to the club in this, the girls would probably laugh and think you're a live at home, pizza delivery guy. Some of the guys might come and look at it, but at the end of the night, only the ones who know what they're looking at will be jealous...and lets face it, car nerds are the ones walking out of the club with all the poon.

Uncool.

It's a Group B car, and they are automatically subzero. This is not the best example of one, but cool nonetheless.

Cool, merely because it's a formerly practical car that is now entirely impractical, due to the engine being thrown where the boot and back seat used to be. Why? To make it go fast. VERY fast.

I'm haven't really got into too many of these Cool Wall threads but it seems like people overuse Sub Zero and look for any reason to say it is.

I'd say it's Cool though. Mid Engine turbo hot hatch. Sure it's a Pugeot, but Renault did the same thing 15 years later and it was cool as well.

Sub-Zero. Not because it's a car to look cool in (it isn't, though wouldn't that make it uncool?), it's because the car itself contains very high doses of insanity.

I've been lucky enough to see one of the road cars in the metal ( and an Evo 2 rally car of it aswell), and let me tell you in the metal the road car does not lucky tacky at all. Absolutely anybody can tell it's different and a serious bit of kit.

I'm haven't really got into too many of these Cool Wall threads but it seems like people overuse Sub Zero and look for any reason to say it is.

I'd say it's Cool though. Mid Engine turbo hot hatch. Sure it's a Pugeot, but Renault did the same thing 15 years later and it was cool as well.

Renault did nothing like this after, before this they made the 5 Turbo and Turbo 2, mid-engined turbocharged and RWD. Another Rally homologation model.

Then the Clio V6 was not turbocharged, was also RWD, unlike the 205, and had a V6. This was completely different to the cars mentioned as it was made to be a production car.

It's a speedy French hot hatch from the 80's, which is cool to me. And it's a homologated Group B Rally Car. And any Group B Rally Car is sub-zero to me.

It should be cool being an insane fast little French hatchback. I love the 80's style of the 205 and no question they are a great car.

But 205's don't end up in the hands of cool people, they end up in the hands of spotty boy racers who bling them out with Dimma body kits or track day geeks who strip them out.

Back