I think my save file is screwed

DaihatsuDriver
So, after triumphantly finishing the last gold in the Jeff Gordon challenge, I went to look at a vehicle in my garage, The Camaro SS "Edge" to be exact with the intention of taking it to practice to play around with it, and it hung before loading the car photo.

I had no choice but to hard boot my PS3, and I loaded it up and it got a complaint of files being corrupt. I didn't copy down the exact error message :crazy:, So I figured I should probably re-install everything. So I deleted my GT5 system data, re-downloaded my DLC cars, booted up GT 5 downloaded and installed 4 patches.

Now it gives me an error message

Insufficient free space on Hard Disk Drive (HDD). At least 32 MB required. Please exit the game and free up some space.
0x00000001 [841] :nervous: I have 119gb free.

After the error message, I deleted my system data again and reinstalled it all with the patch. Same thing with the error message.

My save file says

GRANT TURISMO 5
3/17/2011 5:02 AM 2777 KB
Play time 1401 day(s)
Current Credits: Cr. 8,209,589
Current Car: Gran Turismo PDI RACING KART 100

It looks normal to me...

I then tried GT5 on another user, and with only 10 cars at the beginning and that save works fine.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

I assume you are all up to date with the latest patches? Did you do a search for disk errors and GT5? I seem to remember there was one similar to what you describe. If I find it I will post it here for you.

Good luck mate.

Try deleting the game data again and install the game before downloading the updates and then see if that fixes things.

Isn't that error the filesave problem (0x00000001 [841]) that was fixed with one of the recent patches? My savefile is 927kb after 97% of the game has been completed.

Try deleting the game data again and install the game before downloading the updates and then see if that fixes things.

I just tried that

The original corruption message is back It says.

This file has been corrupted (0x80002000) :grumpy:, which really sucks because I don't have a backup for it.

Edit: GT without updates bypasses the install, and lets me use the save file even though its corrupted lol

I just tried that

The original corruption message is back It says.

This file has been corrupted (0x80002000) :grumpy:, which really sucks because I don't have a backup for it.

It must have been saving when it crashed and that's what has corrupted it.:ouch:

I'm installing the game data from the utilities menu, since it won't give me the option when i boot up GT5, I tried the "Salvage Files" option and it said it was unable to Salvage any files, and the update to 1.08 keeps popping up every minute or two.

Edit: Every time the 1.08 update notice comes up, the game complains about having the installation interrupted and restarts :/

Edit2: I had forgotten how long the installation is for this game

Edit3: After the Install, i'm going to try and delete the Edge Camaro from my game and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Okay, so I deleted my stuff again, I re-downloaded all my Chrome Line cars and did not redownload my Edge Camaro, I just rebooted GT5 and its no longer complaining about Corrupted Files.:dopey:

Hopefully, I can install the patch now and go to 1.08 again 💡 without a HD error

My buddy got this problem, but he got it from turning off his ps3 mid 1.08 download. He found a fix online but now he can only play GT5 Offline.

My buddy got this problem, but he got it from turning off his ps3 mid 1.08 download. He found a fix online but now he can only play GT5 Offline.

It looks like your right, It just doesn't work with 1.08, I still get the Insufficient free space error :( I can only play offline with the unpatched version.

More and more of these threads are popping up. Don't worry, even if you wouldn't have reset your ps3, you would've still gotten the error. I didn't have a backup either and so I am in the same boat. I called SONY many times since PD doesn't like to release their contact information. The guy I talked to was pretty cool but he said they are receiving multiple complaints on this.

I don't even think a new patch will fix this unless they revisit the 1.01-1.05 patches because even if you cancel the second patch but keep the 1.05, it causes this error.

I have been trying to find a fix on my own but nothing has worked. The 1.00 original game really sucks compared to the later patches and I am sick of playing it already.

Trying not to rant here, but it's rather sad how this game was rushed to be released. Obviously it wasn't tested even once to 100% completion or else they would have caught the large save file error. They tried to counter this by releasing a patch but now it corrupts every save game file, even if it is well below the ~4000kb or whatever that save file size limit was.

I doubt this will work for anyone, but here is what the Sony rep. told me:

1. Delete GT5 game data from game menu list. DO NOT delete save game data!
2. Get into the recovery menu. To do this (from what I remember),
-Put the PS3 in standby mode
-hold hown the power button until it beeps and goes back to standby mode
-hold the power button again and keep holding it after the single beep. Only let go after the double beep
3. Press "recover corrupted system files" or something like that. (do not mess with any options that say "saved game data"
4. Reload GT5 but do not download the latest patch (just press circle and get into the game). You may have to go into connection settings and disable the internet connection
5. Create all the system files and play for a few races just to build up some cache
6. Exit the game and turn off the system
7. Turn the system back on and download and install the latest 1.08 patch
8. Play GT5??

That's all he told me but it didn't work for me. Maybe someone else will have better luck? Also, if anyone knows better instructions for getting into the recovery menu, let me know and I will update this!

More and more of these threads are popping up. Don't worry, even if you wouldn't have reset your ps3, you would've still gotten the error. I didn't have a backup either and so I am in the same boat. I called SONY many times since PD doesn't like to release their contact information. The guy I talked to was pretty cool but he said they are receiving multiple complaints on this.

I don't even think a new patch will fix this unless they revisit the 1.01-1.05 patches because even if you cancel the second patch but keep the 1.05, it causes this error.

I have been trying to find a fix on my own but nothing has worked. The 1.00 original game really sucks compared to the later patches and I am sick of playing it already.

Trying not to rant here, but it's rather sad how this game was rushed to be released. Obviously it wasn't tested even once to 100% completion or else they would have caught the large save file error. They tried to counter this by releasing a patch but now it corrupts every save game file, even if it is well below the ~4000kb or whatever that save file size limit was.

-hold the power button again and keep holding it after the single beep. Only let go after the double beep
3. Press "recover corrupted system files" or something like that. (do not mess with any options that say "saved game data"
4. Reload GT5 but do not download the latest patch (just press circle and get into the game). You may have to go into connection settings and disable the internet connection
5. Create all the system files and play for a few races just to build up some cache
8. Play GT5??

That's all he told me but it didn't work for me. Maybe someone else will have better luck? Also, if anyone knows better instructions for getting into the recovery menu, let me know and I will update this!

Thanks for the advice, when I get home from work I will give it the old college try.

That buddy would be me. It sucks playing offline. No seasonals. No online dealership. No Multiplayer.

What is strange is that I can play offline (which must mean that my save data is not corrupted) and I can also play online under another user (which must mean my ps3 is not to blame). Sooooo..... I dont know who to blame. Obviously I cant blame myself :D

8. Play GT5??

Ok so I tried this way and it also did not work for me. Just to be clear the option selected once in recovery mode was RESTORE FILE SYSTEM which I think is option 3. This checked for corrupt/missing system files which my PS3 said I did have and after it 'fixed' it and the progress bar completed I had high hopes. Unfortunately the issue still exists. I'm guessing this wont be fixed until PD puts out another patch to fix it.

Back