Someone shoot me now...

• Thread starter sanmusa
  • 36 comments
Germany
Ansbach
GTP_sanmusa74
This f$%#ing sucks, but it's not the end of the world... my PS3, old fat model, has died, taking along with it all my GT5 data!! :drool::scared::nervous:đź‘Ž WTF!!!

After a few months of playing GT5 I had built a respectable garage with loads of cars that I loved. Now... it's... gone... :ouch:

Really... gone... finito... over... kaput. I went from 5.5 million credits to 20,000...

Anyway, since I am starting over on a new PS3 I might as well change my psn ID to a GTP_ one, so from now on it's GTP_sanmusa74, not my old one, rpiereck74. So, if anyone had me added as rpiereck74, please add the new one. As I am attempting to rebuild my garage, and I will take any donations for cars, anything that could help A-Spec, and if you have a RUF BTR laying around I'd love to have it...

Also, please add my psn to your friends list and use my B-Spec driver so I can make some dough and get on with the new game...

Cheers and thank you!

Sorry to hear about it. Will be sure to add the new account and get some Bspec racing going.

You could salvage the HDD and then copy the SAVEDATA onto a flash drive. You'll still need the old PSN ID so it helps if you remember the email/password combination.

I have thought about that and I will be bringing the HDD to work tomorrow, see what my computer geek friend can do. Hopefully he can salvage the data. That's one of the reasons I am using a new psn ID, not the same old one.

:fingers crossed:

Sorry to hear that but I cannot believe that there are still people out there not backing up there GT5 save data and then even on an old fatty :confused:

On your new PSN ID you won't be able to use any of your save data as it is connected together or am I missing something here?

Sorry to hear that but I cannot believe that there are still people out there not backing up there GT5 save data and then even on an old fatty :confused:

Tragic that just a few days back I thought about doing just that but could not find my portable driver. It was at work and I never got the back up done... :indiff:

On your new PSN ID you won't be able to use any of your save data as it is connected together or am I missing something here?

I will be using the new psn ID for the GTP races, and if I can restore the data from the old PS3 then I can use my old garage as well as the new one.

Sorry to read that man :nervous: Hope you can save your data đź‘Ť

I have a 80 Gig PS3 also, but I bought it just 2 years ago... and the 1st one I didn't use it a lot... I was waiting for GT5 :) I pray it still has some good years on the tank :)

This f$%#ing sucks, but it's not the end of the world... my PS3, old fat model, has died, taking along with it all my GT5 data!! :drool::scared::nervous:đź‘Ž WTF!!!

After a few months of playing GT5 I had built a respectable garage with loads of cars that I loved. Now... it's... gone... :ouch:

Really... gone... finito... over... kaput. I went from 5.5 million credits to 20,000...

Anyway, since I am starting over on a new PS3 I might as well change my psn ID to a GTP_ one, so from now on it's GTP_sanmusa74, not my old one, rpiereck74. So, if anyone had me added as rpiereck74, please add the new one. As I am attempting to rebuild my garage, and I will take any donations for cars, anything that could help A-Spec, and if you have a RUF BTR laying around I'd love to have it...

Also, please add my psn to your friends list and use my B-Spec driver so I can make some dough and get on with the new game...

Cheers and thank you!

Sorry to hear that. You black monster LFA and your other cars are gone now. Dang. Makes me wonder when my fatty will bite the dust.

Don't mess with hdd. It can only be read from original ps3 that wrote it.

Try this. Works every time.

YouTube ps3 heatgun

Basically open up the unit, get to the two chips, heat them up with a heatgun real good. Apply new thermal compound and done.

You'll get data, but ps3 will die again so get a new one.

Sorry to hear that. You black monster LFA and your other cars are gone now. Dang. Makes me wonder when my fatty will bite the dust.

That LFA was a beast... soon I'll get another, at least the tune is saved at the Moose Knuckle page... đź‘Ť

Try this. Works every time. YouTube ps3 heatgun You'll get data, but ps3 will die again so get a new one.

I'll give that a try.

YouTube ps3 heatgun

Basically open up the unit, get to the two chips, heat them up with a heatgun real good. Apply new thermal compound and done.

Those two chips you are talking about are the processors. Heating them up is not a good idea. I work on computers all day as my job and applying any extra heat to a processor is only going to make things worse. Even after you let it cool, the thermal shock from going to really hot back to normal temps can make things worse. I say don't bother unless you know what you are doing.

I will be using the new psn ID for the GTP races, and if I can restore the data from the old PS3 then I can use my old garage as well as the new one.

Don't you have to be online with your old account to share cars? If I want to use a friends car, that he shares he has to be online, no? Or how do you mean that? Having two GT5 games running?

Those two chips you are talking about are the processors. Heating them up is not a good idea. I work on computers all day as my job and applying any extra heat to a processor is only going to make things worse. Even after you let it cool, the thermal shock from going to really hot back to normal temps can make things worse. I say don't bother unless you know what you are doing.

Its worked for some people..

I've also heard about wrapping the ps3 in a towel and then using a dryer to eat up the inside and letting it cool for a day.. and then ps3 works for a while. It should be running long enough for you to back up your save data and then you an get a new system..

Don't quote me on this, I have only read about it online and don't have any personal experience with this.

Its worked for some people..

I've also heard about wrapping the ps3 in a towel and then using a dryer to eat up the inside and letting it cool for a day.. and then ps3 works for a while. It should be running long enough for you to back up your save data and then you an get a new system..

Don't quote me on this, I have only read about it online and don't have any personal experience with this.

Thats alright. When I see these homegrown fix methods I don't always trust them cause I know what happens to technology when things go wrong. Plus I'v seen my share of people trying to fix problems themselves only just to end up and bring it to me in worse shape than when they started. I got a few which I still shake my head at today.

Don't you have to be online with your old account to share cars? If I want to use a friends car, that he shares he has to be online, no? Or how do you mean that? Having two GT5 games running?

No, use the GTP account right now for all GT5 stuff, including the GTP WRS races. If I get my old stuff going then I'll use that account (had over 130 cars and 5.5 million in the bank...), and use the GTP account just for GTP WRS.

snowylilmonster

I have done this to three different fatty ps3's with full success. It won't last for everyday playing but you can save data to a USB stick.

What do you got to lose?

*bang* I just e-shot you ;)
I've had my 80gb Phat since september '08 when i heard GT5 would be released soon :ouch: and have never had an issue with it. I've heard so many horror storys about this and i get scared every time :nervous: as i am yet to back up my save data. I believe its called procrastinating, just putting something off for no paticular reason...
This story has finally pushed me over. Save data is all bieng copied to my thumb drive as i speak. Thank you :)

I have done this to three different fatty ps3's with full success. It won't last for everyday playing but you can save data to a USB stick.

What do you got to lose?

It only take heating up one part one degree to much. Thats it. Thats what Im saying. If you do this your taking a chance that it wont work; not that it is if you resort to doing this method. All im going to say is use it at your own risk. My fatty is going on 4 years old. The only thing iv ever done to it was replaced the thermal grease a few months ago. I know its getting old so I started backing it up more often.

Good thing i backed my data. Im level 27, i don't have that many cars but If i can ill send one out. I have a snow day and im feeling pretty good so i might as well :-)

YouTube ps3 heatgun

This is exactly right. Do the heatgun fix to get your fat up and running, get the data off and then throw it in the trash. Search Gilksy on you tube and his videos explain it all, trust me I did it. You need a heat gun and heat compound (radio shack) $7.00.

Trying to connect the ps3 harddrive to your computer wont do anything(different formats) your computer wont be able to read anything.

NjLowrider

YouTube ps3 heatgun

This is a lot of fun, but make sure you dont touch the chips, their texture is like jelly when it is heated

Hey can't you transfer your HDD to your new PS3? I wouldn't tamper with the HDD otherwise with all the Hooplah over hacking PS3, you may lose any chance of recovering your game saves.

I don't understand why everyone isn't backing up there data. There's no way im loosing my save its backed up many times on USB drive all the time and then saved onto PC HDD and an external lmao.

GT5 save files are linked to the PSN account, so you can't use the save on any other PSN but the one it's linked to.

YouTube ps3 heatgun

That´s a good one.
Did it same way when my fatty died.
Search for Gilksy as cpt_majestic said. Exactly the same worked fine for me.
Good luck mate.

The same thing happened to me last week. I couldn't live knowing 2-3 months were wasted so I got it fixed for $40 then copied the saves. I am looking at getting a slim soon.

I got really lucky with my 40gb when the hard drive died recently. The ps3 kept locking up with the hdd light lit up solid. After force restarting it the xmb wouldn't even load, but if I did the recovery mode thing, I could rebuild the database and it worked again for a few days. The last time it locked up during the database rebuild, hdd light solid on, I let it sit that way for 3 hours hoping something would happen but nothing. From then on the hdd hasn't worked, it spins up fine but isn't even recognized by any computer I hook it up to.

Luckily I started backing my save up as soon as the problem first started, with everything gold'd besides the vettel challenges and both 24hr nurb races, I would have been pretty upset about losing that save. I actually had both 24hr races done and lost them, but that's not much of a problem compared to losing it all. I swapped in a 60gb drive from a YLOD system and it's been running strong ever since, but I still back up my save regularly now.

Back