PS3 FAT to PS3 slim data transfer walkthrough

• Thread starter jeep2008
  • 34 comments
Greece
Greece
jeeptj2008
WALKTHROUGH
1)Save the all your psn accounts GT5 games to equal external usb devices.

2)Back up all your PS3 data to an external hard drive.It took almost 1 1/2 hours to finish in mine.(This is not needed,it's just a precaution in case anything will go wrong,highly unlikely if you follow all the steps)

3)Write down all your psn accounts emails and passwords so you can activate them in your new PS3 slim.

4)Synchronize your trophies for all your accounts with the PlayStation Network server.

5) Deactivate the PS3 system if the data to be transferred contains content that was purchased from PlayStation Store like stealth cars etc.
Select PlayStation®Network > [Account Management] > [System Activation] select deactivate.
6)Power up your new slim PS3 ,connect it to Internet via an Ethernet cable and update the system software to version 3.15 or above.

7)Turn off both PS3 systems and using an Ethernet cable, make a direct connection between the two PS3 systems.

8) Do the following sub-steps:
1. Connect the PS3 systems to different video input connectors on the TV.
For example, use the HDMI input connector and the video input connector on the TV.
2. Turn on the TV, and then turn on the PS3 systems.
Use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the source PS3 system.
3. On the source PS3 system, select Settings > [System Settings] > [Data Transfer Utility].
4. Select [1. Transfer data from this system to the other PS3™ system.].
If you did not complete the preparation steps described earlier, follow the on-screen instructions to complete these steps.
5. When the PS3 system is on standby to begin the data transfer, use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the destination PS3 system.
6. On the destination PS3 system, select Settings > [System Settings] > [Data Transfer Utility].
7. Select [2. Transfer from the other PS3™ system to this system.]

9)After the data transfer operation has been completed, you can turn off the source PS3 system.

10)If content that was downloaded from PlayStation Store was transferred as part of this operation(like the stealth cars), you must activate the destination PS3 system before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3 system as the user who owns the content, and then select PlayStation®Network > [ Management] > [System Activation] to activate the system.

If you follow the above steps you are going to be ready to play again as if nothing changed.You'll probably meet the following ''problems'' though when you'll start your GT5 game the first time:

1)message Error 0x80001063.This means you forgot to activate your PlayStation®Network Account (step 10)above.

2)A lot of your garage cars thumbnails are missing.Press triangle on these cars and create new thumbnails.

Last edited:
I've also moved this to GT5 Questions & Answers in the hope that someone will help me out,since here i don't see a lot of activity...If i do get my answers there I'll be back here to update op.Cheers!

it's a questions & answers relating to GT5, this isn't related to GT5 in any way. If you don't get the level of attention you want, ask in another forum. Bumping it or moving it to some place with more activity just makes you look bad.

Anyway, Your Phat PS3 still works, the lenses just burned out. so it's still good for non-disc content, like images, music, videos and downloaded games.

Don't forget to deactivate the psn accounts on the old ps3 when you've successfully transferred everything.

Man, do the transfer via the lan cable, it takes forever, but it is a 1:1 copy.

On the Sony blog it is explained how to.

I did it from my fatty to the slim, took some hours, but the result is perfect and you don't need to do copy, paste a 100 times

When I swapped hard drives, I did not have to setup my PSN IDs on the new hard drive. When I restored the backup, all of my PSN IDs were there with the restored backup. I also did not have issues with my GT5 file in the backup.

Make sure you synch your trophies before you swap out though. The trophies are pulled from Playstation's website.

I also had to re-download all of my DLC, which was a pain. That stuff is not backed up.

Thanks for your time to answer here AOS- but the only thing in my PS3 is GT5 and the only thing that matters to me is saving that data and go on with my game!The questions i have are almost only about GT5:

If all you want is the GT5 game save to work all you have to do is create the usernames on the new PS3 with the same info you are currently using.
I would load the game, get the updates then load the game saves.
I don't know if that order needs to followed.
I have 2 PS3's with like accounts and can load the game saves between systems.

If you want your current data (besides GT5) on your new PS3, do the data transfer with the E cable.

Your PSN purchases and cars will need to be reloaded.
A pain if you have a lot.

If all you want is the GT5 game save to work all you have to do is create the usernames on the new PS3 with the same info you are currently using.
I would load the game, get the updates then load the game saves.
I don't know if that order needs to followed.
I have 2 PS3's with like accounts and can load the game saves between systems.

If you want your current data (besides GT5) on your new PS3, do the data transfer with the E cable.

Your PSN purchases and cars will need to be reloaded.
A pain if you have a lot.

Well that's something new I learned today,didn't know that :tup:I also have some other games ,nothing special though but since the FAT is still operational,the HD that is,I might as well go on and transfer everything.

A couple of things worth mentioning is that I lost in all my 4 accounts more than half of my cars thumbnails.In my main account that hurt cause I had more than 500.Also before the transfer and a couple of days ago I changed the passwords in all my accounts to 1 and easily remind-able too, so in future transfers I don't have to spend hours guessing or trying to find the paper I have them on.Anyway the system didn't recognise the new ones and I had to recover all of these passwords with the date/secret question method.Not much of a problem but worth mentioned...

Thanks for the update.
Glad most of it was somewhat easy and you had the proper info at hand. 👍

Those avatars can be a pain.
I'm curious to know if the missing avatars are from cars you added any parts to...???

Thanks for the update.
Glad most of it was somewhat easy and you had the proper info at hand. 👍

Those avatars can be a pain.
I'm curious to know if the missing avatars are from cars you added any parts to...???

Thanks :)I know at least one of the cars with the missing thumbnails is a 0/0 so no about the added parts.I'll see though if there is a pattern there...

I finally got the YLOD on a launch day ps3. I went and bought a new slim and thought that I could just swap the hard drives and use my old one but it didn't work.
How can I get my game saves from my old ps3 onto my new hard drive in the slim ps3.
My old ps3 is now destroyed and the new ps3 will not work with the old hard drive.

How can I get my game saves from my old ps3 onto my new hard drive in the slim ps3.

If you saved them to an USB stick you can use those, otherwise find a way to get the data from the original hard drive.
Maybe BestBuy or Gamestop kind of stores can retrieve the data, at a cost.

Whatever you do, remember to backup your data frequently.
I do it almost everyday.

Sorry for your loss.

I have 2 profiles setup on my Fat. One is for my UK account and the other for my US account with all my Rock Band DLC purchases.

Am I correct in thinking I do not need to set these up again on the Slim if I connect them with the ethernet and use the transfer utility?

Will it transfer everything and create both accounts on the Slim?

Many thanks

I have 2 profiles setup on my Fat. One is for my UK account and the other for my US account with all my Rock Band DLC purchases.

Am I correct in thinking I do not need to set these up again on the Slim if I connect them with the ethernet and use the transfer utility?

Will it transfer everything and create both accounts on the Slim?

Many thanks

Yes,just remember to sync the accounts before starting the transferring,cheers!

Had to switch PS3's as well this week because of a broken optical drive. I was able to transfer with the utility, but I noticed 2 things in GT5 on the new machine:

1) Thumbnails were partly gone (as described in previous posts)

2) All replays don't show up anymore in the replay theatre. The weird thing is, that they still show up when you want to load a ghost lap in Arcade (and you can use them as ghosts!), but there is no way to look at them as replays.

The replay theatre apparently also "knows" they are there, because the track filter just gives you the tracks where I had saved replays, and not all (default), but the replays themselves are nowhere to be seen.

So, word of advice...if your old PS3 is still working and you want to preserve the replays, you need to export them first. Then you can import them on the new machine.

A few weeks ago our house got hit by lightning and fried the HDMI out on my fat PS3. I managed to upload all of my game data onto a USB drive and also onto PS+. I then transferred everything onto my new PS3 slim through PS+ but lost my Collectors Edition and GameStop DLC cars in the process. After some Google searching I cam across this thread. My question is this, do I need to redo the entire transfer to get these cars back? I never deactivated my old PS3 and I still have it.

A few weeks ago our house got hit by lightning and fried the HDMI out on my fat PS3. I managed to upload all of my game data onto a USB drive and also onto PS+. I then transferred everything onto my new PS3 slim through PS+ but lost my Collectors Edition and GameStop DLC cars in the process. After some Google searching I cam across this thread. My question is this, do I need to redo the entire transfer to get these cars back? I never deactivated my old PS3 and I still have it.

The Collectors Edition and GameStop DLC cars will be downloaded automatically to your new ps3 the moment you'll log in again to your account.If you don't log in to psn with the previous username and password you won't be able to download them again.Did I help? :)

The Collectors Edition and GameStop DLC cars will be downloaded automatically to your new ps3 the moment you'll log in again to your account.If you don't log in to psn with the previous username and password you won't be able to download them again.Did I help? :)
Hmmm. I did do that. I've had the same username since I first got my PS3. Is it because I didn't deactivate the old one yet?

Hmmm. I did do that. I've had the same username since I first got my PS3. Is it because I didn't deactivate the old one yet?
Nevermind. I was able to just download them again from the PS store. Thanks though. Your post made me check the PS store to see. :)

Relating to step 2, backing upp you data is a good idea for obvious reasons. It takes a while if you have lots on the HDD but just let it run while you're sleeping and restore while doing something else as well. That is much smoother than having to tinker alot if you only save what is critical and go find the other stuff through downloads again and such.

Unless you have an external hdd dedicated to you PS3 backup I recommend using the application "SwissKnife" to partition the external HDD to create different filesystems. FAT32 for the PS3 and NTFS for all other stuff you want to keep on an external hdd. That's what I did and I'm very happy with that solution.

Hi all,

It seams that YLOD will get to everyone sooner or later.

I got it yesterday on my EU release day 60GB FAT PS3.

I had it cleaned every other Saturday with the vacuum-cleaner, it was standing 1,2m above the ground at least 0,7m from walls but 170h of Skyrim was too much for it anyway :/

My question is - will it be enough to load all my saves from pen-drive to new slim PS3 to have all Signature edition stealth cars + all the DLC that I bought so far ?

Will I loose download slot for DLC/SEN games if Iwill not de-active old PS3 before activating new one with the same PSN account ?

Hi all,

It seams that YLOD will get to everyone sooner or later.

I got it yesterday on my EU release day 60GB FAT PS3.

I had it cleaned every other Saturday with the vacuum-cleaner, it was standing 1,2m above the ground at least 0,7m from walls but 170h of Skyrim was too much for it anyway :/

My question is - will it be enough to load all my saves from pen-drive to new slim PS3 to have all Signature edition stealth cars + all the DLC that I bought so far ?

Will I loose download slot for DLC/SEN games if Iwill not de-active old PS3 before activating new one with the same PSN account ?

The Signature edition stealth cars + all the DLC will be on your slim the first time you sign in from your account on it.Step 10 on my walkthrough.

Back