GT Academy 2013
Staff Emeritus
Iran
London
GTP_Synwraith
5ahr40.jpg

EXTRA PLACE UP FOR GRABS AT UK GT ACADEMY NATIONAL FINALS

5447475857_59fc10a291_z.jpg

•Nissan and Sony Computer Entertainment UK offer extra chance to join online gamers in 2011 GT Academy
•‘Wild Card’ competition to be held at Nissan Innovation Station at The O2
•Dubai 24 Hours seat in racing 370Z awaits overall GT Academy champion

Nissan and Sony Computer Entertainment UK (SCE UK) are offering an exclusive, additional chance to join online gamers in the National Finals of the 2011 GT Academy, an innovative competition in which PlayStation®3 (PS3™) users battle in an online time trial to win the ultimate gamer’s prize – a race seat in Nissan’s muscular 370Z for the Dubai 24 Hours.

Anyone with access to a PS3 with online capability and a copy of Gran Turismo®5 can take part in the GT Academy, but the ‘Wild Card’ slot offered by Nissan and SCE UK provides an additional route to the National Finals, to be held in May.

Competitors are invited to enter the ‘Wild Card’ contest, hosted at the Nissan Innovation Station at The O2, by registering at www.nissangtawildcard.co.uk for an entry slot between 10am and 8pm on either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd April, when they will complete a time trial using PS3 race pods.

Each entrant’s quickest lap of three will be recorded, with the best drivers from each of the three days winning a Logitech Driving Force GT™ steering wheel, the official wheel of Gran Turismo, which features force feedback and 900-degree wheel rotation. The best time overall across the three days will win the extra place at the National Finals.

The inaugural GT Academy, in 2008, was won by Spanish student Lucas Ordoñez, who was recently named as a member of Nissan’s Le Mans 24 Hours prototype sports car programme.

At the National Finals, participants will take part in a series of Gran Turismo 5 gaming heats. Additional non-gaming challenges that the National Finalists face will be unveiled in due course.

Two UK National Final victors will advance to the International Finals, to be held at Silverstone in June, when competitors will take to the track in Nissan’s 3.7-litre, 323bhp 370Z models.

“Lucas, our 2008 GTA winner, is living proof that virtual driving skills can be transferred to real-world racing. This year, we are adding this special opportunity for one talented gamer to join the UK’s best in the National race to turn the dream of a motor sport career into reality.” - Paul Willcox, Nissan Motor GB’s Managing Director

“The ambition of Sony Computer Entertainment was to make a game that gives players the ultimate driving simulation experience. The GT Academy partnership with Nissan is the realisation of this ambition, setting Gran Turismo 5 gamers the ultimate challenge on PlayStation 3. The success of previous winners Lucas Ordoñez and Jordan Tresson demonstrates that GT Academy has grown into a credible route into motor sport.” - David Wilson, Head of PR for Sony Computer Entertainment UK

The Nissan Innovation Station at The O2 is a free exhibition which features driving simulators, a virtual car design programme and interactive games that show visitors of all ages how electric vehicles can change the way people will drive and live in the future.

***UPDATE***

34sj6ki.jpg

Nissan and Sony Computer Entertainment UK are pleased to announce the track and car chosen for the UK 'Wild Card' competition. The event is being hosted at The Nissan Innovation Station at The O2, London. In an effort to find the cream of British driving and gaming talent, GT Academy have chosen the demanding Suzuka circuit. The track's unique figure of eight lay out will prove a fitting challenge for novice and experienced drivers alike and will allow gamers to experience the full sensation of Gran Turismo®5. For what is recognised as one of the best driver's tracks in the world, there is only one car capable of this challenge: the Nissan GT-R! Each day, entrants will compete on PlayStation®3 race pods and their best lap of three will be entered (terms and conditions apply). Entry slots are available between 10am and 8pm on either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd April. The best times each day will win a Logitech Driving Force™ GT steering wheel and Nissan merchandise with the best overall time winning a place at the UK National Final.

This event takes part alongside the GT Academy 2011 Time Trial which is currently live until midnight, Sunday, 17 April. The virtual-to-real-racer competition has been contested across 10 European countries over the last month. With the opportunity to become a real racing driver at stake, virtual racers must sign up on www.gran-turismo.com to participate (terms and conditions of entry apply).

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Entrants must be over 18 and hold a full uk driving licence.

Almost bought a ticket to the UK, although I know I'm not a good enough driver.
So still no solution for the Italians here. (remember Luca Lorenzini)

Quoting from the GT Academy Facebook page in response to questions posted there...

..we will keep you posted on Wild Card competitions taking place in other countries.

👍

All the best
Maz

First post has now been updated with details of the combo to be used for this weekend's UK Wild Card event 👍

All the best
Maz

Many thanks to all those who came down today, including a couple of guys who are in the running for a top 20 GT Academy place in the UK 👍

Fastest times of the day were by GTP_TwinTurboCH (James Hudson) at 2'14.669, Paul Joslin (PaulJ_85) at 2'15.2 and GTP_Maffski22 with 2'15.5. Great efforts in unfamiliar surroundings and pods by these guys, certainly impressing all onlookers!

Great to meet you all, especially Maffski who I've raced for a couple of years now, absolutely top geezer :bowdown: Big congratulations to Hudson for grabbing the best time of the weekend so far and leading the race for a UK National final spot. Hudson of course attended the UK finals last year as well :cheers:

I never did get to sit in that GTR by the way :P Maybe tomorrow!

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Was good meeting you today Maz! Hopefully be more up for something like this another time :), Congrats to the fastest of Today and Friday's Session. I might make it down tomorrow evening but i'll have to see after work!

Good to meet you and your team today Maz,

I may pay a surprise visit along tomorrow. I just set my wheel up with the same settings you guys seemed to be using and had a quick practice... I'm fairly confident I can go faster now...

Last edited:
What an awesome day! May i first say a big thanks to the entire gt academy team, they're all a top bunch and very welcoming.

That was a real eye opener to the high pressure environment of live gt time trials, where you wait a while for your 3 lap shot and have to try to put together a good lap despite the distractions / pressure!

I honestly thought when i walked in a smashed the times that it was in the bag, but it was great having the battle when Steve and James turned up. I tried to stay on it and better my times, but ultimately my gt5 skills just aren't as refined as some of my competitors. When the fatigued set in - (late night and lack of sleep), it was all over as far as I was concerned. It was down to the two to battle it out!

The final attempts by steve and James to go faster had everyone on the edge of their seat.

Congrats to James in the end! And comiserations to Steve.

I may continue to try to remain in the top 20 for the national finals, but today has shown me I will need to really practice hard and get myself a gt force wheel. In the meantime focusing on my fitness wouldn't hurt either, after all summer is approaching.

Cheers all and if I don't see you at the nationals, I'll see you in game some time.

Paul

5ahr40.jpg

GT ACADEMY 2011 'WILD CARD' RESULTS - APR 1/2/3

352kg7d.jpg

Many congratulations to the following guys for outstanding performances this weekend:

Friday:

1. Steve Embling (Stune) 2'14.682
2. Anzel Lai
3. James Hudson (GTP_TwinTurboCH)

Saturday:

1. James Hudson (GTP_TwinTurboCH) 2'14.669
2. Paul Joslin (PaulJ_85)
3. Matthew Phillips (GTP_Maffski22 / KOR_Isobar)

Sunday:

1. James Hudson (GTP_TwinTurboCH) 2'13.970
2. Steve Embling (Stune) 2'14.002
3. Paul Joslin (PaulJ_85) 2'14.316

Huge congratulations to all of these guys for standout performances, especially Hudson who earns the first official spot in the UK/Ireland GT Academy 2011 Territorial Final :cheers:

The final day was dominated by a 4 way battle between Paul Joslin, James Hudson, Anzel Lai and Steve Embling, all of whom could have walked away with the top prize from this event had they strung together their best corners and sectors. In the end, Hudson was the only one to dip into the 2'13s, a spectacular achievement considering they were only allowed 3-lap runs on different pods and the surrounding ambient noise, crowds and horn-honking from the Nissan Leaf! The pressure was on these guys and they all produced fantastic laptimes.

A worthy winner who fought off immense competition. All of the names written above would do well at the national finals, and I hope they all get their chance in the future. I hope to see Paul make the final through the Academy time trial 👍

Well done guys, it was a real pleasure to be in your company this weekend and a great pleasure to meet Marky264 and Richard Mothersole also, it's a shame you couldn't join the madness today, Mark :)

2cglmwh.jpg

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
YEEEESSSS!!!

So happy it's untrue. Can't believe I managed to keep my cool after lunch and put those times in, it could just as easily have been any one of the top four who took the win, I was just lucky that, for me, everything was pretty much falling into place. Steve really pushed me right to the final lap of the final stint, putting in some absolutely stonking individual sectors, he just couldn't quite string it all together. In the end, I only beat him by 0.033 seconds, showing just how close it really was.

I have to say a MASSIVE thank you to all the Nissan staff who were there running it, mainly for putting up with us all being there for most of the event, all trying to find that extra bit of time and generally making nuisances of ourselves.

Also Maz, you were a great help to everyone all weekend, was awesome to have you there, thanks so much for making the competition fun, for introducing everyone to everyone else, for helping to create the atmosphere and tension in the crowd, and for just generally being a really nice guy all weekend. 👍 :)

And thanks to my fellow competitors, the atmosphere today was great, with everyone swapping hints and tips to try and get all our times down to the absolute lowest they could possibly be in the time we had. I actually really enjoyed myself, regardless of the final result, I'm really glad I went and got to have what turned out to be the closest live competition I've experienced in the GT world.

So basically hats off to all involved, loved it. :)

Even if I don't manage to do any better in the national finals than I managed last year, I'm absolutely ecstatic to be the first confirmed national finalist for the UK, and it's a massive load off my mind to know that I don't have to spend three hours a day on the time-trial for the next two+ weeks, fighting tooth and nail with all the other awesome drivers involved, I don't think I couldcope with the stress. LOL :D

See you all at the finals :) 👍

Last edited:
It was being apart of this weekend, James we should have had some kinda prize for being there as much as the staff 💡 really must save up for the purchase of a wheel, desk and a copy of GT so I can do better next year as renting the game just isn't the same.

I think i'll know when someone has a nissan leaf though just from the sound of the horn lol

It was great meeting all the staff they were fantastic

Rich

NICE James but im sure you would have made it anyway... unlucky to steve for being so very close to making it.

James come online!!

Last edited:
Congratulations - I'm really gutted I didn't set aside more time to hang around the machines a set a decent time. I only managed to squeeze in 1 session between a meal & Peter Kay (Sunday night).

It was a really good atmosphere and I'll definately pop down for at least an afternoon next time round.

I must get myself a steering wheel; practicing with the control pad at home and then trying a lap in the O2 was not a good idea. It was like driving a completely different car. Using the control pad the car understeers and using the wheel at the O2 oversteered (bizarre). I was setting 2:18.00's home after only a few laps practice. At the O2 I struggled to keep the car on the track for the first couple of laps.

I never realsed how much of a different game GT5 is when using a steering wheel. So is GT Force the nest money can buy? What stands are people using?

Great event. Very much enjoyed taking part.

Unfortunately i just cant spare the time to do the online time trail due to exessive amount of uni work so i wont be able to attempt GT academy this year.

Huge congrats to James. Unbelievable car control skills, was fantastic to watch :) I wish you all the best in the final.

Was great to meet so many talented GT players. Anzel and Paul certainly deserve a mention keeping things very close at the top. Hopefully i will be seeing you guys again in the not so distant future :sly:

You cant be doing that much work.... surely? i was doing 10-12 hour days and sill finding time to do a session most days, well i guess it all boils down to how much you really want it.

Well I am doing my masters which is 100% coursework and this is the busiest time of the year. I believe in either giving something my full attention or not at all. GT academy would require my full attention which I cant give it so rather than compromise my course I have made the decision not to take part on this occasion. Perhaps you are right though, I know fitness would probably be my biggest issue given im just a typical student who spends far too much of the day at the pc screen working. There are many more suitable for the opportunity than me at this point who probably know it and can be more motivated, so good luck to them 👍

Nissan PlayStation GT Academy UK Wild Card Contest At The Nissan Innovation Station (3mins)​

Also added to Media thread 👍

All the best
Maz

Back