How Shift 2 Really Drives (with videos)

• Thread starter JJ72
  • 125 comments
I've made this little video, sorry about the quality and I do hope people will pay attention to how the game can be a lot better than most think when dialed in.

"There seem to be many complaints about shift 2's handling which imo isn't warranted, so I made this video to show that you can have responsive control in Shift 2, while also try to help out those having issues."

thanks weasel

Last edited:
Definitely looks like more precise steering than most vids I've seen of S2U yet. Will have to give your settings a try when I get my hands on the game.

Hmm, looks a bit more promising regarding the precise steering. Will try your settings on my DFGT and see if it'll help. I really want to enjoy this game but at the same time, all it's been doing is frustrating me.

JJ72 my man!!! my savior, my GOD :bowdown:

I was ready to take this game back to game shop and return it, but not now :sly: Finally after hours of hopeless tries i can say i love this game, finally

Good videos. I really want to like this game. Can you post your wheel settings please... Need to get the settings dialled in properly so I can get the most from the game.

Well driven but I'm afraid I disagree with your conclusion that the input lag can be eliminated with the right settings. Your own video clearly shows a lag between your input and the in-game hands moving on-screen. Now before you think I'm under the impression that the in-game hands are all that count, I'm not. I don't really care what they do but on my copy of S2U for PS3 they happen to coincide exactly with the car's reaction. It's tough to tell from your video as you clearly know that track well and have adjusted to the lag enough that you don't notice it and can drive cleanly with it in place.

However - try making another video doing the following and I will gladly eat my words :

Set up on a straight going no more than 10-15mph. Suddenly yank the steering left or right. Then the lag between your input and car reaction should be fairly clear. It's entirely possible that you are having a better experience than me as I'm using a GT3rs V2. That said however - the Fanatec is emulating a Logitech and so the PS3 should effectively be receiving the same signals. The game itself in fact recognizes the Fanatec as a G25.

Anyway - I hope you can make another video as described above. I would love to see proof that you have cured the lag because I would be all over this game if I could find a fix.

Thanks!

Agreed with PGA.

That would be a good test.
I'm on the fence and trying to find out all info.

Cheers JJ.

Then I'll do it with the elise, one stone two birds.

gonna do it tomorrow though, actually as I have posted the setting everyone can have a try.

I don't think the in game hands are representable of anything, afterall they not only lags, but are also widely exaggarated in their movements.

I also want to add that while it is possible to compensate for the lag by driving in advance of the physics, when I counter steer as seen in the video it is real reflex action, it is so quick that sometimes the in game hand is still pointing towards the apex while I am counter steering, I think it is rather telling that the physics is actually able to catch up, or else the car wouldn't be coming back in line so quick.

my wheel setting is included at the end of the video, Coldon.

Last edited:
That is an awesome video, finally someone who can drive! This has restored a lot of faith for me. Based on the videos and reviews thus far, I wasn't sure whether to buy the game or not but this looks very promising 👍

Edit: I meant the video in the OP

That input lag probably can't be fixed, as it's always apparent in NFS games. You have to adapt ;)

OK, here it is. Driving the Lambo that came with the pre-order. The first couple of demos are not terribly clear because of the glare on the track but once the car gets around the corner you can clearly see the lag by watching my wheel input and the car reaction. The tire marks on the track really help show when the car actually begins to react.

This was done with my own settings but I'll check those at the end of the OP's post and try them also.

pgagoober, that does look really bad, that's almost half a second of lag.

I'll get back to you tomorrow, I don't think I have some magical cure or any sort, just my console and wheel combo works, after seeing that I do understand why some people are crying out for refunds.

OK, here it is. Driving the Lambo that came with the pre-order. The first couple of demos are not terribly clear because of the glare on the track but once the car gets around the corner you can clearly see the lag by watching my wheel input and the car reaction. The tire marks on the track really help show when the car actually begins to react.

This was done with my own settings but I'll check those at the end of the OP's post and try them also.

Wow, that is really, really bad. First time I've seen it...

Wonder why some of us don't get any input lag at all? I don't think this is a settings issue...

Just in case JJ had hit the jackpot I figured I'd give it another go with his settings. Still no joy I'm afraid. You can see the settings, including the on-wheel settings at the end of the video.

Well, since I own a g27 i really hope its just the same as the OP.

pga, that really makes it impossible to drive. I guess you tried every single settings around the net for that wheel by now so i understand why you might be ******.

Pgagoober.

That's unplayable mate.

Time to trade in.

Thanks for posting.

Edit looking forward to JJ's G27 video tomorrow.

Last edited:
if you're playing shift 2 on a pc, give the 'sharp mod' from juls a go (actually a mod for shift 1, but it also works on shift 2), it helps a lot killing the input lag.

MrSchwarz
I'm sure a patch will be released fixing the issue.

well that's the big question isn't it.

Do you sit on an investment waiting for a patch while your investment loses value.

Or quit while you have some value left.

My option is to wait till it's patched if it does, then purchase.

I'm not lining the pockets of shoddy workmanship.

JJ, what platform are you running on. If your on PC I can see why your driving is alot smoother than my PS3. I am doing okay with AWD's setup before his current update but I am still looking for that little bump to put me over the hill.

15 Frames per second then.
It's only running at 30.

Well - keep in mind that I took the video from my iPhone which will determine the frame rate of the video. I think the iPhone 4 video is 30fps but I might be wrong.

Or were you just saying that it takes 15 frames to react - which is correct assuming the game is running 30fps.

Yeah 15 frames to react sounds good. Or rather it doesn't really.

If it was running at 60 fps it would still take 30fps to react.

Both the same really.

Back