• Car is unstable

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Car is just right

Votes: 44 54.3%

• Total voters
United States
Traverse City, MI, USA
Priest8
GT5Calc will not achieve a perfect setup, it is meant as a tool to get you close to a good tune, or as a way to solve tuning problems you may be having with a unruly car. Every car and driving style will be different, so what works for one person may very well not work for the next.

You will need .Net 4 or newer to run this program, as it is written in C# with .Net.
.Net 4

You will need WinRar or some other compression program to open the archive the program is stored in.
WinRar

1) Enter the weight of your car

2) Find the wheel base of your car and enter it (can be found for most cars with a google search)

3) Enter the speed you will be negotiating most of your corners at. I find 60-100 mph a good baseline depending on the car.

4) As of update 1.10, you no longer need to find the weight distribution yourself! You can see it in the ballast menu! Enter the front weight distribution from there and proceed.

5) Enter the front and rear down-force for your car

If your car has front and rear down-force options enter those numbers.

If not you will need to make a guess on what those numbers may be depending on the car.

If not you will need to make a guess on what those numbers may be depending on the car. Most production cars do nat have any aero down-force when they are stock, but to see if they do you can equip a rear wing, then you will be able to see the stock front down-force numbers in the tuning menu. You can then use the PP number to estimate the stock rear down force.

6) Select the engine position in the car

7) Select the if the car is FWD AWD or RWD

8) Click calculate and you will get your front spring rate and rear spring rate in kg/mm

This should (in theory) almost perfectly mathematically balance the car's springs, but if you were setting the car off balance on purpose to correct under/over-steer, you would have to adjust other settings to compensate.

!!! If the results GT5Calc gives you are out of range for the car you are tuning (most commonly too soft), adjust the stiffness setting to until the results are within range. !!!

9) Use the stiffness setting to tune the cars overall stiffness in slightly with testing. I find myself using 22-24 a lot, and maybe 25-26 on rare occasion with some cars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you enter the speed in the calculator, you should be balanced at that speed, tighter below that speed, and looser above that speed. So if you are experiencing a problem where you get very loose at higher speeds trying raising the Speed number.

The damper settings are based of the spring weight, and the drive-train of the car. These are just meant to get you some where near where you should be with dampers. This has not been tested much yet, and will change as version progress.

I have cleaned up my motion ratio code, and have the ability to easily let the user adjust motion ratios. I am still trying to figure out easy way to deal with motion rations, if anyone has any ideas, please let me

The newly added Anti-Roll Bar calculations are just that, new. They do not have a ton of testing, so they may be no where near what they should be. They are based off the weight distribution of the car, and the drive-train. These may very well change greatly after more testing and more of the communities input, but I thought people may like to see them now.

Once you have had a little experience trying it please let me know how it works for you in the poll, and give me more ideas for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update Notes

- Initial release

- Added the ability to enter kg or lbs, mm or in, and most importantly kph or mph.

1.2b
- Added the ability to figure in aerodynamic down-force
- Adjusted the calculations to make slightly stiffer results
- Fixed some tabbing index errors in 1.1

1.3b
- Fixed some calculations to more accurately represent motion ratios
- Removed some redundant conversion code that could slightly skew results

1.4b
- Added in the ability for the user to adjust overall suspension stiffness

1.5b
- Added damper calculations based off of spring weight and the cars drive-train
- Fixed some tabbing index errors that have persisted since 1.2b, but some still remain

1.51b
- After some testing I changed up the FR shock calculations a bit

2.0b
- Overhauled the UI entirely, making it a bit more stylish
- Changed the default overall suspension stiffness
- Changed the down-force calculations ever so slightly

2.1b
- Added some very rudimentary Anti-Roll Bar calculations
- Fixed a couple of typos in 2.0b

2.2b
- Added the ability to save your calculated setups to a text file
- Fixed a couple tab index errors, I think I almost have them all worked out now :)

2.21b
- Fixed the text file saving ability, sorry about the inconvenience. I somehow screwed it up right before I built it for release.

2.3b
- Changed up the Anti-Roll bar calculations. They are based on the weight, weight distribution, and drive-train of the car. This has not yet had much testing, please give me your feedback on whether or not it feels better then 2.21
- Fixed a bug where the Anti-Roll bar calculations were not clearing when the user pressed clear.

Attachments

• GT5Calc 2.3b.rar
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,508
Last edited:
Interestingly backwards from what I can see... Unless it's estimating the rear motion ratio to be higher than the front off default?

Interestingly backwards from what I can see... Unless it's estimating the rear motion ratio to be higher than the front off default?

That is what I thought also at first, but the spring rate calculations are base directly off real race car calculations that are meant to keep the oscillation of the front and rear suspension the same. And I have found that it really does work fairly well. Only problem I have run into, is that when you do weight reductions to the cars, specially a lot of weight reductions, that seems to sometimes throw off the weight distribution a whole lot. The motion ratio I used in the calculation estimates the front and rear to be about the same.

I have also found that there is no need to load the rear brake higher then the front, like a lot of people seem to do, to make the car turn coming in to the corner. It actually will make the car unstable when braking. I usually just add brakes according to the weigh of the car.

I am thinking about adding a very simple brake balance calc based on weight, and I am currently working on anti-roll bar calculations. Trying to find what works best, calculations base on weight, spring rate, weight distribution, or a combination of all. Right now I am thinking spring rate alone, since that is already based on weight and weight distribution. Just something to get someone a baseline calculation.

I probably could, point me in the right direction to learn how to code for the IPhone and or Droid.

I have just tried this today and all I can say is WOW. I did it to my '07 135i and it turned it into a track monster, I have it running at 480 pp on sport softs and I was easily able to destroy my friends 135i that he tuned to 525 pp on race hards. Although there was just one problem, the rear suspension is just a little to stiff. When you go over the rumble strips the rear of the car will bounce, but it handles so well that I do not want to change it. So I definitely give this a 10 out of 10

Gonna try this on the Gallardo today. I haven't liked any of the tunes I found for it yet...

The program is not meant to be perfect, but I think I most cars it will get you somewhere close. Always be aware of weight reductions also, on some cars they really seem to throw off the stock weight distribution, which make them very difficult to tune.

I have just tried this today and all I can say is WOW. I did it to my '07 135i and it turned it into a track monster, I have it running at 480 pp on sport softs and I was easily able to destroy my friends 135i that he tuned to 525 pp on race hards. Although there was just one problem, the rear suspension is just a little to stiff. When you go over the rumble strips the rear of the car will bounce, but it handles so well that I do not want to change it. So I definitely give this a 10 out of 10

You can always try reducing the Stiffness slider, which will reduce the overall stiffness of the suspension. You can also move more of the weight distribution calculation to the front, this will harden the front and soften the rear a bit, but that will tighten up the car slightly.

There stand: To run the following program, you must first install one of the following versions. Net Framework:
v4.0.30319
contact software vendor for instructions on how to get the correct version of. Net Framework.

What shall i do? PLEASE HELP ME!!

i plugged in some of my cars just to see how the numbers your generator would spit out compared against how i have tuned them and i must say the settings are fairly close, closer than i expected. usefull to set a quick tune then further customize to each unique situation.

your generator thinks/sets up cars like I do. :D

i plugged in some of my cars just to see how the numbers your generator would spit out compared against how i have tuned them and i must say the settings are fairly close, closer than i expected. usefull to set a quick tune then further customize to each unique situation.

your generator thinks/sets up cars like I do. :D

Like I say right at the beginning, it won't make a perfect setup, but I think, more often then not, it will get you somewhere close. :sly:

GT5Calc 2.1b has been uploaded.

This version adds in the Anti-Roll bar calculations I have been working on. These are very new, and have not done a lot of testing. So they very well may be way off what will work the best with the car. Hopefully with more testing and input from the community I can make them better. Currently they are completely based off the weight distribution, and drive-train of the car.

I was considering holding off on posting this until I did more testing, but I thought people would rather have it to experiment with then not have it at all.

I've tried this tool and I'm not sure I'm using it correctly because the output does not match with my car: NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car

Here are entries:

weight: 1120 kg -> from game
wheelbase: 2530 -> online. Not sure it's correct.
Speed for corners @ cape ring: 60
Front distribution: 43 -> online. Not sure it's correct.
Front downforce: 35
Rear downforce: 60
Engine: M
Drivetrain: R
Stiffness: 20

With the above inputs, the suspension settings down match what the car can do, mainly the front Spring Rate.

From Spring rate recommendation is: 5 The car can only go down to 8.8
Rear: 13.8
Front Dampers (Ext): 2
Rear Dampers (Ext): 7
Front Dampers (Com): 2
Rear Dampers (Com): 5
Anti-roll front: 3
Anti-roll rear: 4

Haven't tried them on the track yet (about have dinner), but am a little skeptical because the front sprint rate recommendation does not fit the car. Any suggestions?

I've tried this tool and I'm not sure I'm using it correctly because the output does not match with my car: NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car

Here are entries:

weight: 1120 kg -> from game
wheelbase: 2530 -> online. Not sure it's correct.
Speed for corners @ cape ring: 60
Front distribution: 43 -> online. Not sure it's correct.
Front downforce: 35
Rear downforce: 60
Engine: M
Drivetrain: R
Stiffness: 20

With the above inputs, the suspension settings down match what the car can do, mainly the front Spring Rate.

From Spring rate recommendation is: 5 The car can only go down to 8.8
Rear: 13.8
Front Dampers (Ext): 2
Rear Dampers (Ext): 7
Front Dampers (Com): 2
Rear Dampers (Com): 5
Anti-roll front: 3
Anti-roll rear: 4

Haven't tried them on the track yet (about have dinner), but am a little skeptical because the front sprint rate recommendation does not fit the car. Any suggestions?

Increase the stiffness to 22-23, then the front should be within range.

Back