69.0​
Track, inches
front: 58.7 rear: 59.4​
Height, inches
47.9​
Curb weight, pounds
3,260​
Suspension
front: Independent; upper and lower A-arms, coil springs, tubular hydraulic shock absorbers, antiroll bar
rear: Independent, lateral leaf springs, struts, U-joint halfshafts, trailing arms, tubular hydraulic shock absorbers​
Wheels/Tires8x15
Brakes
front: 11.75-inch disc
rear: 11.75-inch disc​
Transmission
3-speed manual (std)
4-speed manual (opt)
3-speed Hydra-Matic (opt)​
Standard axle ratio
3.36:1​
Engine type:
ohv V-8​
Displacement, liters/cu inch
7.0/427​
Bore × stroke, inches
4.25 x 3.76​
Fuel Management
3 x 2-bbl.​
Horsepower @ rpm
390 @ 5,400​
Torque @ rpm, pound-foot
460 @ 3,600​
Price
4,781.00​
Production
22129 (+16633 convertibles) - All engine variations.
10531 390 hp Big blocks (conv. and coupe)​
Officially fr but is actually fmr (the engine mounts are 10 inches behind the front axle)
It`s very hard to get reliable 0-60 and top speed data.
More info here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1969-corvette.html

The model in particular that you state has 390 hp was the L36. There were numerous 427-powered versions. Might want to add that designation to your title.

They were designed to perform and also the catch attention. Obnoxiously, at that. These days Corvettes are like assholes in that everybody has one, and I don't think the regular models are anything special at all. Fairly reasonably priced, surprisingly low body and interior quality, far more common and mediocre than a Hyundai Genesis. But the special models...

This isn't really a special model. It's the least powerful and least desirable 427 version. It's still a 427, but not the one(s) everybody wants.

As much I dislike Corvettes in general, the public perception is typically cool. I'll reserve judgement until I see more arguments.

EDIT: I had to edit my post because I initially thought you were referring to the L88, which is something epic. Then I saw "390 hp" and I was like eh.

Last edited:
Sub-Zero, it's cult, undeniably pretty and packs a huuuuge powerplant with enough torques to shake pretty much anything back at the time.

Not to mention that the C3 Vette is a true icon ( and that is a worldwide assumption ).

For all these achievements and inerent coolness, I proclaim this car as a true statement to the Sub-Zeroness clan.

In, my opinion, still the second best looking Corvette ever. The C2 still looks better in my opinion - that's just so old school. Even so, this still looks cool, but it's a bit too awkward at the front to be sub-zero. Plus it's still a cult classic.

Cool.

EDIT: By the way, here's what I think of all the Corvette's looks...
C1: Bit boring but it was the first.
C2: Slick and old school.
C3: Slick and good looking but a bit blocky.
C4: Just a bit blocky.
C5: Slicker but still a bit blocky.
C6: Bigger and blockier than any of the others.

I think you can see a pattern over the past 4 generations years in terms of looks. Blocky. :D

Last edited:
Meh.

Its a Corvette, and although the whole "427 Corvette Stingray" name brings attention, I really don't see why. Friend had a '73 Corvette convert with a 350, and even after it was partially restored (engine was refreshed, body still needed work) my moms mini van sat right beside it in the quarter mile...embarrassing for him, but completely hilariious for everyone watching.

Uncool.

I like this gen of Corvette's(although it's my least favorite), however usually when I see someone driving this gen it's accompanied by a guy with a mullet and wife beater.

Last edited:
Meh.

Its a Corvette, and although the whole "427 Corvette Stingray" name brings attention, I really don't see why. Friend had a '73 Corvette convert with a 350, and even after it was partially restored (engine was refreshed, body still needed work) my moms mini van sat right beside it in the quarter mile...embarrassing for him, but completely hilariious for everyone watching.

Read this
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/soccer-moms-revenge/

I think the car in question is cool.

Meh.

Your friend's car is nothing like a 427.

A year too late, this car. Had it been the C2, it'd have been 20% Sub-zero-er. Now, it's just lightly frosted. being a 7-litre class car, and not the "We can't compete with Hemis on even grounds so we'll just make it bigger" 454 saves it from Uncool.

Interesting read. I also watched a program that put an Oddysee against a '69-'70 Dodge Daytona at an AutoX track. The Honda ended up spanking the Daytona by seconds.

Cale
Your friend's car is nothing like a 427.

No, but it is a Corvette, and when you see this car driving down the street, the first thing you see is that its a C3 Corvette, not a 427 Stingray, and because of my friends car, that is the image I have of all C3's I see.

I'm going with cool. It's an American Aston Martin, basically. Except not as cool.

Um, yeah considering the whole stereotype thing I'd have voted for just cool, however as I tend to judge the coolness of a car by it's merits and flaws. I'll maintain that it is sub-zero.

I just don't get why people consider the C2 a prettier car than the C3. The C3 just looks better to me.

Sub-Zero

One of my personal favorite Vette's.

427,4spd,tri-power ... it doesn't get much better.

Sub-zero.

Cars like that have a lot of presence and theatre about them. Shiny chrome, curvy bodies, and an exhaust note that can shake the Earth. You have to go back 40+ years to find that 'stuff'.

While today's cars will all perform better, I'd say few have the personality as that old boat does. New C6 Corvette? Yuk...old one with a Holley sitting on top? Sign me up!

Can't fix having a Big Block Chevy. Just not competitive with Chrysler Hemis and the big Total Performance Fords...

It would be cool if:

1. Was mid-engined
2. Had the ability to fly at 30,000 feet
3. Could be used as a bathyscaphe
4. Completely bombproof and bulletproof
5. Battle dinosaurs (especially Stegosauruses, they're like really big Fords)
6. Get you a life-long membership for Toastmasters
7. Washed clothing and hung it up with fresh spring scents
8. Did all its own guitar solos, and could hold more than one groupie
9. Could divide by zero and prove Fermat's theorem with just a tachometer
10. Starred in a so-so Saturday night crime drama that lasted for one hour, circa 1986

Instead, it will just have to suffer with being Sub-Zero.

Last edited:
Back