RJ's LSD setting calculator

Rotary Junkie

Premium
United States
Canton, MI
RJs_RX-7
Currently only supporting RWD.

Driving Style: Adjust based on how aggressive you are with your throttle and brake inputs. Smoother drivers should set this lower, as should those adept at controlling the car with footwork. Higher = more aggressive style, LSD will be more abrupt in its actions.

Exit Adjustment: Higher results in more understeer until tires are overpowered but stronger acceleration, lower makes for less understeer and a more stable vehicle at the cost of corner exit acceleration and traction. Minimum of -1/2 driving style.

Entry Adjustment: Higher is more stable at cost of possible understeer if too high. Also increases effect of engine braking while cornering. Lower is less stable and more prone to oversteer, but allows greater freedom regarding line choice. Minimum of -1/2 driving style.

Hopefully this helps someone out there... It probably won't help the extremely good tuners out there but it can be used to spit out relatively effective differentials. I hope.

Edit: Apparently some can't open it... Bloody OpenOffice must fail at saving as Excel. :lol: Let me know if it buggers up for anyone else.

Attachments

• RJsDiffCalc.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
well i tried it, but i do not understand it. here is what i loaded.
Driving Style 10
Exit adj. 2
Enter adj. 10

result given
Initial 35
Accel 33
Decel 65

Maybe if you post an example it would help me understand. I just put in random numbers, no idea what 10 2 10 relates to. Are they considered high, aggresive tame?

any help would be appreciated.

Okay, I'll clarify the driving style and adjustments.

As for what you've entered there... I'd generally use a Driving Style of 1, Exit Adj. of 7, Enter Adj. of -0.5 as my baseline, then play around with enter/exit adjustment. For obvious reasons, if you get a number > 60 out of it you've gone too high on a setting.

Downloaded it, tried to open and Windows says zip file is empty. I do want to give it a try as I'm hoping it will give me baseline LSD settings to start from.

Am I missing something, or have you taken the three LSD settings and converted their terminology into three other settings that you've synthesized yourself? I guess what I'm getting at, is that I don't see how this is easier to tune than the LSD itself?

Thanks,

e.

PS- worked fine for me with NeoOffice 3.1.2p9 on Mac OS X.

Am I missing something, or have you taken the three LSD settings and converted their terminology into three other settings that you've synthesized yourself? I guess what I'm getting at, is that I don't see how this is easier to tune than the LSD itself?

In a way you're right. Once I get my PS3 back up and running I'll be making more adjustments/versions for the different drivetrains. RWD is the most self-explanatory, AWD will be the most difficult to get working well, FWD can be very, ehm, "interesting" with results.

I may add power level as a variable as well as a few other things eventually. At the moment the basic idea is to make people think it's easier than doing the diffs themselves and to give a bit of incentive to actually touch them.

In a way you're right. Once I get my PS3 back up and running I'll be making more adjustments/versions for the different drivetrains. RWD is the most self-explanatory, AWD will be the most difficult to get working well, FWD can be very, ehm, "interesting" with results.

I may add power level as a variable as well as a few other things eventually. At the moment the basic idea is to make people think it's easier than doing the diffs themselves and to give a bit of incentive to actually touch them.
Fair enough then, I can see how that would be useful. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates--if for no other reason than to see how they compare to my own tunings. :)

e.

Yeah I still come out better using the stock diff or the default settings. I'll try this out next time I play for a few hours.

Back