Famine's Endurances: Lambs to the Slaughter? (Nür4)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 35 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
So, anyway, I've discovered that the Nürburgring 4 Hour race is just about the most enjoyable race in GT5 - enough track time to let long-game tactics play out, enough racing to do in one go (or to split up into a couple of chunks), variable enough opponents to spread them out along the track and, more importantly, you don't have to use wildly overpowered, twitchy cars to win it.

I've already completed the race in a lightly tuned TVR Tuscan Speed Six '00 Race Modified (with racing hard tyres) and, while it was good fun to drive, I won by far too much. So the point of this thread is to log my various attempts at the race to find out what the slowest car (along with least powerful, lowest power-to-weight ratio and lowest PP rating) I can possibly win the race with is - along with logging AI progress in the races to help others who want to find similarly competitive cars...

Races completed
* 27 laps - 505PP Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74 (Sport Soft)
* 26 laps - 586PP Tommy kaira ZZ-II '00 (Comfort Soft)
* 26 laps - 482PP Mazda Eunos Roadster NA Special Package '89 (Race Soft)
* 26 laps - 425PP Honda S2000 Type V '01 (Race Soft)
* 26 laps - 444PP (stock-ish) Ford Focus RS '02 (Race Soft)

14th May 2011
Car used: Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89, "Speccy"
Tuning: Err... a lot. Everything, in fact, apart from the turbos - supercharger used. Racing soft tyres.
PP: ~482PP
Power, Weight, PWR: 239hp, 831kg, 287.6hp/tonne

Lap 1 - 9'11.333
The lights change and I'm suddenly last. Giving away 200hp to your nearest opponent will have that effect. Luckily, I can brake far later into turn 1 and get the power on far earlier than the AI and I'm back up to sixth by turn 2 and up to fifth past the HKS CT230R by turn 5.

The HPA R32, in fourth place, is a much harder prospect. With a big, wide bottom and four-wheel drive to help him out of the turns he's a pest right through to Hocheichen where he's too late on the brakes and the inside line is mine.

Speccy tops out at 157mph but can take Flugplatz and Schwedenkreuz flat where the Mine's Skyline ahead has to shade the brakes - but his power pulls him well clear again through Fuchsröhre. Miss-Hit-Miss proves a weak spot for the Skyline and he can't gain speed quickly enough to make up for Speccy's momentum through the corner. I'm clear up the inside on the right-hander before Wehrseifen and make it stick round the outside - leaving me within sight of the Amuse S2000 in 2nd at Breidscheid. Again though, the power disadvantage is obvious as from Bergwerk through to Klostertal I'm left for dead - the Mine's Skyline is all over me too until Angstkurve where he has to brake again.

Much of the rest of the lap has me clawing back the 5 second advantage the lead pair have and at Karussell II I'm within touching distance of the Amuse, but Döttinger Höhe puts paid to that as I'm left standing again. Come the finish line I'm not only 8 seconds down, but in fifth place as first the Mine's Skyline comes flying past and then, during that move, the Fairlady Z-Tune screams past the pair of us...

Lap 2 - 8'57.596
...however, as previously, both are dispatched at turn 1 as Speccy's superior brakes come into play. After this point the lap is very much a carbon copy of the previous one as I'm hopelessly outclassed on the GP track and in the straights and claw back the time everywhere else. This time round, however, I pass the Amuse S2000 on the way into Karussell II and get within a half second of the leading HPA TT by the gantry on Döttinger Höhe, but the straight utterly kills me again and the S2000 retakes 2nd. By Hohenrain the Fairlady is on my tail again and nips into 3rd before the line.

Lap 3 - 9'19.327
And is immediately repassed at the hairpin. The lap is again a straight copy of the previous one, until...

Crash. Coming through Angstkurve, the rear-right dips onto the grass past the concrete and the next thing I know I'm nose-in to the right hand barrier. While I sort myself out, the Fairlady, Mine's Skyline and 380RS Superleggera come past and the HKS CT230R passes me once I'm underway. Damn and blast - seventh. Right back where I started, only a bit more tenderised. Time for some scruff-of-the-neck driving.

The HKS doesn't last long - passed through Wipperman - but the others are some distance down the road I cross the line in sixth.

Lap 4 - 9'00.278
I'm now 24 seconds down on the lead pair and there's a Nismo 380RS, a Mine's Skyline and a Z-tune in my way. Again, Speccy's flat cornering through Flugplatz and Schwedenkreuz catches the 380RS up again but, unlike the Mine's on lap 1, he can't get away through Fuchsröhre and, surprisingly, leaves the door open through Adenauer. Never one to pass up an opportunity like that, I take the place and set off after the 380RS.

The rest of this lap is largely playing catch-up - the 380RS is within sight by Karussell II, demolishes me down the straight and is back filling my screen at Hohenrain.

My original plan was four lap stints, but neither of the lead pair pit and the 380RS cruises past the pits too, so I stay out - the rear tyres are pretty good, though the front pair are down to half and the front-right particularly is starting to slip. But let's live a little!

Lap 5 - 9'06.241
The 380RS falls in turn 1 and the Fairlady has built up some gap. It takes some driving before I even see it again - first catching sight on the hill up to Karussell. Surprisingly it surrenders its place very meekly at the exit of Hohe Acht as I drive clean round the outside of him.

The next sight of car is in the distance on Döttinger - the orange of the Audi who seems to have lost the lead to the Amuse S2000. As I dive into the pits from third at the end of the lap, it's also clear that the Audi has pitted but the Amuse has not...

Lap 6 - 9'30.376
The Mine's pits behind me but the 380RS continues, passing me, and, surprisingly, the CT230R does too. I decline any fuel - 38 litres used so far - and leave the pits before the Audi but in fourth place.

When I finally catch up to the 380RS and the CT230R at Adenauer, they're running line-astern. They're struggling in the bends and once again Wehrseifen proves to be a passing spot as I get a better run through Miss-Hit-Miss, take the HKS on the inside and drive round the outside of the 380RS at Wehrseifen.

The S2000, meanwhile, has run too far on his tyres - between Breidscheid and Eiskurve, I take 16 seconds out of his lead, catching and passing him through clouds of dust at Pflanzgarten II and as I cross the line at the end of the lap, I've put 12 seconds between us (nicking up to 21 seconds as he pits and the TT resumes the lead of the AI pack).

Lap 7 - 8'57.926
With a 21 second lead at the start of the lap, I'm in little danger of seeing any AI even if I crash. And so it proves, with nothing of any note save the passing of the first hour at 6 laps and 5'54.849 elapsed.

Lap 8 - 8'59.226
My lead is slowly increasing as I'm ahead in the bends and all my advantage is taken away again on the straights - but nothing else happens.

Lap 9 - 9'00.314
More of the same.

Lap 10 - 9'01.860
My laptimes seem to be going up as my tyres wear but I'm not seeing the slipping I was getting in the last stint, so I decide to stay out for a laugh. Of course everything else behind me pits (save the S2000, 380RS and CT230R), giving me a minute's lead...

Lap 11 - 9'05.180
So, aside from a minute's advantage, not a lot happens. I pit in at the end of the lap and foul up a little - quick pointer for y'all, when you pause the game with your Pit Instructions on the screen and the timer counting down... it doesn't pause the timer. So while working out that I've used 84 litres at 7.6 litres per lap and making a six-lap stint worth 45.8 litres, meaning I need to probably put in enough to fill it to 50 litres (34 litres - I've got 16 left), the board vanishes and I find I'm putting the whole of Alaska into the tank.

Luckily, I've got a minute's lead and the car in second can't run the next lap on the tyres he's got left but will try to anyway. I still leave with time to spare, mind.

Lap 12 - 10'08.990
Oh yeah, a minute wasted in the pits. 1'18 lead turns to 11s, but the Amuse S2000 loses time hand over first through the lap until I'm 41s ahead and he's passed by two other AI cars. No other action though.

Lap 13 - 9'15.318
The car feels heavy again and my lead is cut to 30s by the finish line.

Lap 14 - 9'09.362
My lead's down to 25s by the finish line but still there's no AI in evidence. Nothing else exciting happens except for hour 2 passing at 13 laps plus 25.995s elapsed...

Lap 15 - 9'02.667
The nothing is strong in this one - though the chasing AI pit behind me and I pull out to a minute ahead again.

Lap 16 - 9'06.268
Knowing that 26 laps is the typical completion distance for winning this race, I decide to make this a five lap stint, so that I can make the next one five laps too and finish on another five lapper, rather than halfway through a cycle - plus it gives me the flexibility of having a sixth lap in the last stint. 39 litres of gas used, none taken on board, in and out in 30 seconds flat. Rah!

Lap 17 - 9'27.516
Nada.

Lap 18 - 8'56.756
A new personal best, coupled with a lapping - the Nismo 400R is passed, as he moves off-line to let me through, between Karussell II and Galgenkopf (though he catches up on Döttinger, he doesn't close up enough to unlap himself.

Lap 19 - 8'57.810
A whole lot of nothings.

Lap 20 - 9'05.547
Running a bit wide in Pflanzgarten cost me a bit of time, but nothing major. 3 hours passes without drama at 19 laps plus 5'45.616 elapsed just as I'm entering Caracciota-Karussell.

Lap 21 - 9'06.735
I've backed off a bit now - the timer tells me that 9 minute laps gives me just over two minutes of dead time at the end of the race to either start another lap (and go for 7 more minutes) or to hang about waiting. I've got a 2'30 lead now and it goes up every lap, so a little sandbagging will preserve the gap and shrink the dead time to a minute or so.

This is also my last scheduled pitstop. The board tells me I've used 77 litres, so I've got 23 left. I take on board another 25 litres - to 48 in total - which is enough for 6 full laps and fumes...

Lap 22 - 9'35.127
Not much again - though the clock now says four 9'30 laps will see me finish just a couple of seconds past the hour and about a minute up on the AI (though they'll all pit one more time).

Lap 23 - 9'32.218
Well... if I'm sandbagging I may as well give myself a bit of breathing room.

Lap 24 - 9'31.254
The AI are closing to within a minute now, but they've all got pitstops either this lap or the next, where they'll no doubt sit still for a minute taking on board a full tank. Might be a squeaker though...

Lap 25 - 9'32.183
Yep. They pitted. What was a 37s lead became a 1'44 lead and I can happily sandbag my way to the end.

Lap 26 - 9'25.594
A bundle of nada, and hour 4 passes at 25 laps plus 9'22.935 elapsed, with the finish line in sight. 2.6 seconds later and the race is done.

Race Time 4:00'02.659

Lead AI
2nd HPA FT565 Twin Turbo Audi TT +1'00
3rd HKS CT230R
4th Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec N1 Base '00
5th Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06
6th Nismo Fairlady Z Z-tune (Z33) '03

Summary
The Eunos in this state of tune is way too much car for the event - with the AI taking a minute every pit stop and the car matching the Amuse S2000 on outright pace, only the occasional crash (and crashing this car is tough) will bring the AI near you. You're looking at a win by over 5 minutes if you don't stuff it up and sandbag, with the result that you won't see an AI car except to lap them after the first hour.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anyway to truly make the races competitive; where it's a persons SKILL that helps them win. When I say skill I mean by hitting your apexs better than your opponent, perfectly controlling your throttle to eliminate spin, etc...

We tune and tune and limit and limit to try and make the races competitive, but...in order to catch the lead car you need enough HP to do that and in a long race you generally will win by miles.

PD did a terrible job on the AI

Actually, it depended somewhat on the car - some of them had to brake a little, whereas I could go through it flat. Pretty much all of them could take five or more seconds off me between the gantry and the GP track's first turn.

So, anyway, I've discovered that the Nürburgring 4 Hour race is just about the most enjoyable race in GT5 -

(...)

So the point of this thread is to log my various attempts at the race to find out what the slowest car (along with least powerful, lowest power-to-weight ratio and lowest PP rating) I can possibly win the race with is - along with logging AI progress in the races to help others who want to find similarly competitive cars...

Oh, that's going to be both very interesting and very helpful.

Thanks for the write-up and I'm looking forward to more additions.

I'm going for the 4hrs again on Thursday hopefully.

Wait a minute...might that be the S2000 GT1 Turbo you're talking about? I'm guessing it isn't since it didn't finish behind you but if you could beat that in the MX-5 I would :lol: myself to death :lol:

Also very nice to see you doing these again! Too bad no A-Spec point hunting in this game... :(

I was planning on going for the 4h this weekend in a GT Skyline GT-R but haven't found a good tune for it...might just try something else.

I'm thinking of doing it in a Skyline GT-R R32...in silver. ;)

Wait a minute...might that be the S2000 GT1 Turbo you're talking about? I'm guessing it isn't since it didn't finish behind you but if you could beat that in the MX-5 I would :lol: myself to death :lol:

No, I haven't actually encountered the GT1 turbo or the R8 LMS in this race yet. Sadly I forgot to take a note of who was actually in the race and the results screen fair flashes by.

We've been trialling a few cars for this. My favourite so far is the Nissan Bluebird 1800SSS (910) at 430PP, which is almost capable of what I think the maximum average laptime is, but handles exactly like having a fight with a polar bear while falling down a spiral staircase. I've tried a FIAT 500 Lounge too and daan said he'd given it a whirl in a stock Golf IV RM and in a Honda CR-Z :lol:

I'll find something unusual if it kills me :D

Hmm…if you want a real challenge, how about going to the UCD and closing your eyes, randomly picking a car and then try again after spending, say…50k-100k on it?

I've been doing that too - much of the time it's too easy to get the required laptimes and then occasionally it's too hard :lol:

I'm trying to find a 399PP car I can do the race with. I've got very close to the laptimes with the Bluebird as above and also more recently with a stock (save the RS tyres) Civic EP '01, an FTO GPX and an Altezza RS200 - but it's just out of reach.

With 450PP and RS tyres I can win the race in anything I've tried so far. I might try a race on 420PP with a few things, but I want to beat it with less than 400PP. Because I'm bonkers.

The Priuses can't receive turbos or superchargers, so their power falls well short of what's required. The two CR-Zs are about the only candidates from the hybrids - and their PP is too high for me to consider at the moment.

Nice write-up Famine!

I wish you luck on finding a car that can win at the 400PP level. It is probably too low for me but you may be able to do it.

I've run the full race eight times (I used the race to get to level 40) and my best so far is a 463PP (race mediums used thru out). I will shortly give this race another go with a car in a 450PP tune since I still had about a minute in hand in my last race (some of this due to pit stop strategy).

Good luck,
GTsail

I've been doing that too - much of the time it's too easy to get the required laptimes and then occasionally it's too hard :lol:

I'm trying to find a 399PP car I can do the race with. I've got very close to the laptimes with the Bluebird as above and also more recently with a stock (save the RS tyres) Civic EP '01, an FTO GPX and an Altezza RS200 - but it's just out of reach.

With 450PP and RS tyres I can win the race in anything I've tried so far. I might try a race on 420PP with a few things, but I want to beat it with less than 400PP. Because I'm bonkers.

A 111S Elise maybe ;)

raVer

Or a Dodge SRT-4, perhaps?

Great writeup Famine!
Since you managed it with a MX-5, how about that Autozam Mazda?

I'm trying to find a 399PP car I can do the race with....

Any luck with a 400PP tune?

I've tried a Honda S2000 that was tweaked until it was in a 425PP tune, but I had to abandon the race due to a racing incident where my Honda sustained massive front-end damage due to an armco impact that left me 45 seconds in arrears on lap # 2.

My S2000 was still in need of some further chassis tuning, so it had a chance for a win, but it did seem too slow down the long straights. With only minimal horsepower on board, the Honda really feels drag-limited down the straights. It just runs out of steam at about 145mph.

I'm going to give this race another go with a vehicle that's in a 435PP tune (which would be a new low PP tune for me).

Respectfully,
GTsail

10th June 2011
Car used: Honda S2000 Type V '01
Tuning: Not much. No power or weight mods, but race 'box, suspension and soft tyres. A wing for no real reason.
PP: 425PP
Power, Weight, PWR: 231hp, 1260kg, 183.3hp/tonne

Grid:
1. D. Baldi; Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec N1 Base '00
2. S. Norton; HPA FT565 Audi TT
3. F. Eberhart; Amuse S2000 GT1 '04
4. A. Harmon; Nismo 400R '96
5. E. Schneider; HPA Stage II R32
6. M. Mateo; HKS CT230R '08
7. GTP_Famine; Honda S2000 Type V '01
8. U. Harper; Nismo Skyline GT-R R-Tune R34 '99
9. T. Rhodes; Nismo Fairlady Z Z-Tune Z33 '03
10. S. Kikuchi; Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06
11. W. Sampson; Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01
12. R. Leroy; Amuse Nismo 380RS Superleggera

Lap 1 - 9'20.698
The usual start - descend straight to last before even crossing the line...

... and then straight up into 7th as three Skylines and the Amuse overshoot turn 1. The R-Tune tries to come back on the outside but loses out in braking for the first left. The pack is bunching up at the second left and I have to take evasive to avoid nailing the 400R, but stick the pass into the second half of the chicane.

The HKS CT230R and Fairlady Z are too busy tussling at the next hairpin to notice an S2000 being sent up the inside and are no trouble through the following chicance. The CT230R has an attempt under braking into the last chicane, giving me a lovetap in the process, but the S2000 gathers it up and goes onto the Nordschleife in 5th.

The S2000 stays more or less on the tail of the 4th place R32 through Flugplatz and takes advantage of a massive slipstream and sharp braking to pass round the outside of Aremberg and, if that weren't enough, gets the gas down sooner than the Mine's through Kallenhard to put the Matte Purple Honda up into third! The run from Bergwerk through Kesselchen is a trial as a white blur fills the rear view mirror, but the Mine's can't pick a side to pass the centrally-planted S2000 and stays behind - along with a train of followers.

Dottinger goes exactly as you'd expect - first a Z-Tune, then a Mine's Skyline, then an R32 fly past before Antoniusbusche, but the little S2000 gets the line into Hohenrain and takes the R32 back to finish the lap in 5th.

Lap 2 - 9'09.695
Briefly. The R32 along with an Amuse 380RS, an R-Tune and the CT230R come flying past, but all are dispatched again into turn 1 - with another lovetap from the CT230R for my troubles. The GP track is a clear run with a bit of hassling from an R-Tune and I head onto the Nordschleife in 5th behind the Amuse S2000, HPA TT, Fairlady Z Z-Tune and the Mine's '00.

The pack is surprisingly far back at the usual overtaking haunts - into Angstkurve I'm a second or so clear and on the run through the Pflanzgarten complex there's no evidence of the AI. It takes until Antoniusbusche for the first to show his face - the R-Tune going through it almost completely sideways - but Hohenrain is their weak spot again and, despite a defensive line, the S2000 gets through and ends fifth.

Lap 3 - 9'11.570
At which point all hell breaks loose. The R-tune picks left, the 2006 Mine's picks right, the Amuse 380RS and HPA Golf pick "straight through me" and there's even a CT230R in the mix too. Eleventh! They almost all fail to make turn one cleanly and the S2000 is back up into fif... sixth, as the Mine's gets the power on and pulls ahead through the first left. He outbrakes himself into the chicane and I make fifth again. He tries the outside line of the chicane and just doesn't clear it.

The Mine's is uncomfortably close throughout much of the rest of this lap and passes on the way into Antoniusbusche. He takes a very defensive line into Hohenrain, so I drive clean around the outside of him, but the power differential comes into play again as he passes before the line to put me sixth.

Lap 4 - 9'12.414
Well, at least for a few feet, as the Amuse 380RS comes past on the line. He's followed by the HPA R32 and the HKS CT230R who, as expected, clatters off my right-side on his way through. Putz. All but the Mine's are repassed under braking into turn one but this time it's my turn to go to deep and the Amuse 380RS retakes sixth on the exit. He's offline for the left-hander though and I repass and catch back up to the Mine's through the twisties and pass him on the exit of Hocheichen. This is hard bloody work!

I keep ahead of the Mine's right through to Dottinger, as usual, but he passes me earlier in the straight and he's too far up for Hohenrain to make a difference. I cross the line sixth again.

Lap 5 - 9'15.481 & pit-in
And the Amuse 380RS and CT230R pass me shortly after again.

A quick word about the state of play up top. The Amuse S2000 is miles ahead - a minute and 20 - but he's also not being held up by the TT this race. We know the Amuse is irrelevant because he pushes the tyres too far and will finish in the middle of the pack and so the gap to the TT is more important, but it's hard to judge it precisely. He seems to be about 27s ahead, which is the time he'll waste in a pitstop compared to me. Assuming I'm coming out ahead of him, I should be able to hold him off until Dottinger on lap 6 and that gives him just four laps to build a lead compared to five this time round. So long as I can maintain 9'12ish, it's not looking bad.

Anyway, the Amuse 380RS and CT230R both go way too deep for turn one and are pas... crunch. The HKS turns across me straight into my nose. Thanks. He keeps his place and I spend the next few corners catching him up and the next few straights watching him disappear, before I retake the sixth place from him at Hocheichen. The remainder of the lap sees the split times to the Amuse S2000 falling on the bendy bits and I catch the Mine's up nicely. I'm on his tail leaving Galgenkopf but he powers away - and the CT230R makes no significant gains down Dottinger... I pit at the end of the lap, noticing that the Amuse S2000 doesn't and neither do the HKS nor Amuse 380RS.

41 litres of gas have been used - 8.2 per lap - meaning I'll need no fuel this time out, but 45 litres (to be safe) for each of my remaining 5 lap stints and 53 for the six lap stint. I have 59 currently, so I may make the next stint a six-lapper...

Lap 6 - 9'34.785 & pit-out
I come out of the pits in 4th - leader of the pitted cars - with a microscopic gap to the HPA TT. Much of this lap involves orange filling my mirrors and the gap to the leaders tumbling until, through Pflanzgarten, I notice a white shape ahead of me. The Amuse 380RS has gone too far on his tyres too - he passed me as I pitted and I've gained all of that time back! I pass him for position leaving Karussell II and wait for the inevitable...

Yup, he's found traction at speed and comes flying past with an HPA TT in tow. He's holding him up badly and, as we brake for Hohenrain, gets all squirrelly. I nip past the pair of them for third again and see the Amuse t-bone the HPA and rob him of chunks of time. I cross the line third...

Lap 7 - 9'07.058
And immediately pop up to the lead for the first time, passing the pitted cars. At this point I've decided not to push a five lap stint with a six, but instead to alternate fives and fours, so as not to do what the Amuses just did. There's an HPA TT all over me into turn one again, but he's very firmly second. I won't get the same opportunity as I got on lap 6, but at least I'll have slowed his pace down for nearly two entire laps.

The TT, however, has its own problems in the shape of a Fairlady Z Z-Tune that just left the pits right behind him and, over the course of the first few sectors of the Nordschleife, the gap increases from 0.5s to 4.5s in my favour as he fends it off. The hour passes with me leaving Wehrseifen at 6 laps plus 4'15.357.

Almost all of that lead has vanished by Angstkurve, with a three car train of the HPA TT, the Z-Tune and the Mine's Skyline '00 trailing me by inches, but the S2000 holds firm and drags the lead back out to 4s by the start of Dottinger - where the inevitable eventually happens and the three cars blast past me as if I weren't even there - a second deficit by Antoniusbusche. There's too much of a gap to do anything at Hohenrain and I cross the finish line in 4th with a new personal best to call my own.

Lap 8 - 9'04.582
The leading pack of three are on their lonesome now, with me unable to do much about any of them on the GP track - and now I have an Amuse S2000 filling my mirrors too. But the purple Honda keeps station and finds a tow through Flugplatz and Schwedenkreuz from the Mine's Skyline, passing it round the outside of Aremberg. The HPA TT can be caught but not passed, as I see close-ups of his back end at Adenauer, Wehrseifen, Bergwerk and Galgenkopf but he just pulls clear every time.

Chasing me through Kesselchen, the Mine's Skyline and Amuse S2000 make contact and switch places and it's the Amuse that's eventually able to take third from me on Dottinger and I cross the line in fourth with a heavily slipstream-assisted best lap so far.

Lap 9 - 9'13.509 & pit-in
This lap proves quite similar to the previous one, only with the Mine's able to pass on Dottinger - and stay far enough ahead to leave me fifth. I dive into the pits at the end of the lap.

Lap 10 - 9'49.547 & pit-out
While immobile and taking on 28 litres of fuel (to add to my 26 already in the tank for 54 and the option of a six lapper), the other Mine's Skyline and the CT230R both pass me on the track and plonk me in seventh. With no-one close ahead and no-one close behind - and a scheduled AI pitstop - there's little action, although I'm able to keep a 48-55s gap on the lead AI (the Z-tune), more on the straights, less on the bends.

Lap 11 - 9'07.005
And with everyone pitting, I leapfrog up into 3rd - just the 6-lapping CT230R and Amuse S2000 ahead of me. Lawks! An uneventful lap all-round, except the remarkable laptime (flat 9'07 without any aero-assists) and I cross the line 1'03 down on the tired tyres of the Amuse S2000...

Lap 12 - 9'07.963
Another flat-out lap in clean air, but the Amuse S2000 and HKS C230R are badly running out of tyres. 1'03 gap at the line became 48s by the Nordschleife, 40s by Karussell, 30s by Hohe Acht, 20s by Pflanzgarten, 13 seconds by the gantry - which stretched out to 17s by Antoniusbusche - and then just 11s at the finish line...

Lap 13 - 9'11.528
And with both pitting, the Matte Purple S2000 took the lead for just the second time - with two laps left of this stint... At the first meaningful split, the HPA TT is trailing by 10s and, as is usual for these things, gains massively on the straights and loses out on the bends, pulling up as close as 3.3s by Antoniusbusche. The little S2000 retains the lead through the halfway time point - 2 hours passes at 12 laps completed plus 8'45.693 - and at the halfway distance point, just, as the HPA TT crosses the line 1.1s later.

Lap 14 - 9'19.025 & pit-in
The usual AI first corner fail sees the Z-Tune and HPA TT switch places, oddly. Then follows the usual AI closing up, falling back and so on and so forth - a relatively even gap of 1.8s is established.

Until the Z-Tune does something unexpected and unusual compared to his predecessors... He picks a side, sticks with it, forces his way through and smashes me off the road at Kesselchen! I manage to keep it together enough to prevent the TT following him and retake the lead at Brunnchen, giving him room when he comes back past at Dottinger - along with the TT - and pit in. Chuffin' crikey!

Lap 15 - 9'51.744 & pit-out
13 litres left in the tank, 40 taken on - maybe I'll risk it next time out - and I leave the pits in 7th place. Again. A relatively ordinary lap sees me cut the deficit from 51s on leaving the pits to just 29s at the gantry, which tells me that the lead AI are on a 5 lapper and are holding up the 6-lapping Amuse S2000 and HKS CT230R - the only cars with the same number of stops left as me at this point... With the gap back up to 35s and knowing they have a slow lap and a catastrophic lap ahead by the line, optimism returns...

Lap 16 - 9'10.402
And I leap straight back up to 3rd as the majority of the AI pit, behind the Amuse S2000 and HKS CT230R who seem locked together, 40 seconds up the road. Gradually, over the course of this lap, the Amuse pulls away from the HKS as I slowly gain on the latter, but nothing else occurs. I cross the line 3rd, 48s down.

Lap 17 - 9'09.308
This is the lap where the race is probably won or lost - if I can hold the gap to the Amuse while he runs out of tyres through this lap, I can pass him in the pitlane and I'll finish two minutes up the road from him. If I can't... third at best.

The gap slowly shrinks on the bends - down to 44s at points - and increases on the straights - up to 53s by the finish line. This should put us into the pitlane around ten seconds apart on lap 18 and with an estimated 15 litres to take on board I'll be done by the time the tyres are on and chasing the shortly-stopping TT/Z-Tune. Heavens.

Lap 18 - 9'14.101 & pit-in
The gap holds fast at the start, but then shrinks massively on the Nordschleife - 45s by Aremberg, 30s by Karussell, 20s by Eiskurve and 12s by the gantry. At this point I notice the HKS has passed the Amuse and, while I'm 15s down on the HKS by the finish line, the gap to the Amuse is nudging on five. We all dive into the pits...

Lap 19 - 9'36.192 & pit-out
And the HPA TT passes us all immediately. I've got 20 litres left in the tank, says the crew, so I elect for 18 more. While immobile, the Z-Tune comes past too and, on my way out of the pits - ahead of the two 6-lappers - the Mine's '00 passes. Which is a fantastic opportunity for a bit of slipstreaming - indeed he pulls me along Schwedenkreuz with him and I regain third around the outside of Aremberg.

The splits to the TT remain fairly static - nudging around the 30s mark - and I notice towards the end of the lap that he's gaining on 12th place (presumably the Nismo 400R) which may be holding him up a little. Good :D

Lap 20 - 9'10.577
The Mine's '00 has a pop on the main straight but loses out in the first bend. Again. And the splits to that TT seem to be falling - not enough to grant me an entire pit-stop's gap, but it's all good.

Three hours pass at 19 laps plus 3'13.325 elapsed, at Adenauer. Shortly after, at Brunnchen, I encounter a very-slowly-moving Fairlady Z Z-tune, pass him around the outside and gain 2nd, 25s off the TT...

Lap 21 - 9'09.207
... which pits and promotes me to first, just 10s ahead of the chasing Amuse S2000. Much of the rest of the lap is a battle of attrition - save for lapping the Nismo 400R leaving Breidscheid - as the Amuse and HKS gain on me down the fast bits... Eventually he passes around the outside of Antoniusbusche, leaves the door open at Hohenrain and repasses just before the finish line, putting me back second. Guh!

We're now relying on pitstops again - one each left!

Lap 22 - 9'10.191 & pit-in
Except the Amuse isn't pulling away - he's no more than 2s ahead for the entire GP course and I'm close enough to get dragged along with him all the way up to Wehrseifen where, yet again, a better drive out of Miss-Hit-Miss allows me to go around the outside. Yet again, he lacks the imagination to pick a side to pass and I hold a narrow lead all the way to the gantry, where the inevitable happens. Yet again.

Lap 23 - 9'56.794 & pit-out
I've got 5 litres left in the tank and, unsure whether I need to see 4 hours out and THEN finish lap 26, or whether a 27th is necessary, I put 36 litres in for 41 total. The Amuse buggers off into the distance, followed by the CTS 230R and, shortly after, the HPA TT. Squeaky bum time.

Moreso when the Nismo 400R, who'd unlapped himself from me in the pitstop, blocks me in Hatzenbach and nerfs me into the barriers. Handy. 51s down. Thanks. The time lost is enough for the Z-Tune to overhaul me at Antoniusbusche, but he leaves the door open at Hohenrain and slips back fifth.

Lap 24 - 9'09.760
The Z-tune can't make turn 1 stick either, so I'm again in fourth and chasing two cars losing their tyres and the HPA TT which is still a lap clear. The task becomes harder when the Amuse loses out at Eschbach and I'm looking at deficit of the entirety of Dottinger Hohe to the lead two. Oh, and the Z-tune passes me again and slips up at Hohenrain again. GUH!

Lap 25 - 9'10.847
The HKS pits, briefly promoting me to second, until the Z-Tune and Mine's '00 come past on the main straight. The Mine's is retaken at the first turn and the Z-tune, struggling on old tyres goes down again at the chicane. I'm back in 2nd and the chase to the TT is back on - 38s at the start line, which becomes 32s at the gantry. He pits at the end of the lap...

Lap 26 - 9'12.911
... and I get promoted to first. Now it's just a straight run to the finish line - and I have a 22s advantage over the 2nd place HKS CT230R...

The gap falls a little at first, then stabilises back at 22s. Then the run up from Bergwerk through Kesselchen to Klostertal takes its toll and I'm just 15s ahead. The little S2000 blitzes the twisties and gets the gap back up to 22s, with 4 hours passing at 25 laps plus 7'26.377 elapsed. And then... it's Dottinger Hohe... 22s becomes 17, which becomes 12 but it's too late - the S2000 takes the win!

1st GTP_Famine; Honda S2000 Type V '01; 26 laps, 4:01'46.894
2nd M. Mateo; HKS CT230R '08; 26 laps, +8s
3rd S. Norton; HPA FT565 Audi TT; 26 laps, +15s
4th F. Eberhart; Amuse S2000 GT1 '04; 26 laps, +20s
5th D. Baldi; Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec N1 Base '00; 26 laps, +1'10
6th S. Kikuchi; Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06; 26 laps, +1'35
7th T. Rhodes; Nismo Fairlady Z Z-Tune Z33 '03; 26 laps, +1'45
8th R. Leroy; Amuse Nismo 380RS Superleggera; 26 laps, +2'00
9th E. Schneider; HPA Stage II R32; 26 laps, +3'00
10th U. Harper; Nismo Skyline GT-R R-Tune R34 '99; 26 laps, +3'00
11th W. Sampson; Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01; 26 laps, +7'00
12th A. Harmon; Nismo 400R '96; 25 laps

Summary
Potted insanity. I was in the lead three times in the entire race and spent most of it bouncing from 7th to 3rd and back with no real clue where I was going to finish. Only a complete loin would attempt a race where the winning margin is 0.06% of the race distance - or 55 thousandths of a second over a 1'30 lap - and invest four hours in it.

:D

Last edited:
10th June 2011
Car used: Honda S2000 Type V '01.......
..... And then... it's Dottinger Hohe... 22s becomes 17, which becomes 12 but it's too late - the S2000 takes the win!

Your margin was disappearing at an alarming rate!

Well done Famine! Great write-up!

Except for the Honda's lack of power, did you find it an enjoyable drive?

Could you have pushed the Honda's tires and done 6 lap stints?

I don't think I would be able to match this unless I could save the time of one pit stop!

Respectfully,
GTsail

It was actually quite good fun. It's a nicely balanced car and you can stay within its margins quite easily.

I was originally planning a fives-and-six pit sequence, but you lose the most time in pitstops putting fuel in. You get about 15-18 litres "free" as your tyres are changed and anything on top of that is time lost, at about the rate of a litre a second:

On a 5-5-5-5-6 sequence you'll stop four times and need three lots of refuelling. Using 8.2 litres a lap, you'll use 41 on the first 5 - no refuelling needed - and 41 on the second 5. At stop 2 you'll have 18 litres left, needing to put in 23, which will cost 5s. At stop 3 you'll be empty and need 41 litres, costing you 18s. At stop 4 you'll be empty and you'll need 50 litres (49.2, so 49 will see you run out before the line), costing you 32s. The strategy costs you 55 seconds.

A 6-5-5-5-5 would cost 51 seconds. A 6-6-6-6, like the AI, would save one stop for tyres, but would cost 64s, as you'd need 50 litres from empty twice (50-18 = 32s) and your 24th lap splash & dash would be free.

My 5-4-5-4-4 has the same number of stops, but costs less time. You need no fuel for your first stop, you can take on your free 18 litres on your second stop, you'd need 24 litres (6 seconds lost) on your third stop and you need 33 litres (15 seconds lost) on your last stop, costing you just 21 seconds in the pits.

And yes, I was working that out while driving :lol:

I think the tyres would have last the distance of a six lap stint, but I don't like pitting on worn tyres - I like to pit on a fast lap and not have to deal with the wear-out phase. That way I only have to be kind on my tyres for a couple of corners while they warm up five times and not four times and four wear-out phases.

So the minimal number of laps with the new AI is still 27?

Famine
26 - no Amuse Turbo or R8 LMS to report on however.

The Amuse Turbo is on the second lineup after a console reset (along with the ISF RC) but you've been using the first lineup for both races. So if you want a challenge (and my satisfaction :D) then just back out and in again. Don't know about the R8 LMS though...

Brilliant! And nice strategy I like the brains before brawns approach. Must have been a very sweet victory.

It was actually quite good fun. It's a nicely balanced car and you can stay within its margins quite easily.

I was originally planning a fives-and-six pit sequence, but you lose the most time in pitstops putting fuel in. You get about 15-18 litres "free" as your tyres are changed and anything on top of that is time lost, at about the rate of a litre a second:

On a 5-5-5-5-6 sequence you'll stop four times and need three lots of refuelling. Using 8.2 litres a lap, you'll use 41 on the first 5 - no refuelling needed - and 41 on the second 5. At stop 2 you'll have 18 litres left, needing to put in 23, which will cost 5s. At stop 3 you'll be empty and need 41 litres, costing you 18s. At stop 4 you'll be empty and you'll need 50 litres (49.2, so 49 will see you run out before the line), costing you 32s. The strategy costs you 55 seconds.

A 6-5-5-5-5 would cost 51 seconds. A 6-6-6-6, like the AI, would save one stop for tyres, but would cost 64s, as you'd need 50 litres from empty twice (50-18 = 32s) and your 24th lap splash & dash would be free.

My 5-4-5-4-4 has the same number of stops, but costs less time. You need no fuel for your first stop, you can take on your free 18 litres on your second stop, you'd need 24 litres (6 seconds lost) on your third stop and you need 33 litres (15 seconds lost) on your last stop, costing you just 21 seconds in the pits.

And yes, I was working that out while driving :lol:

I think the tyres would have last the distance of a six lap stint, but I don't like pitting on worn tyres - I like to pit on a fast lap and not have to deal with the wear-out phase. That way I only have to be kind on my tyres for a couple of corners while they warm up five times and not four times and four wear-out phases.

I'm not seeing the weight of your fuel load having a huge impact on your lap times. Would it not be easier to always take the free fuel thus minimizing time lost in the pits? If your using 8.2 liters a lap and you need to go 26 laps you'll need a total of 213 liters. Subtract the 120 liters you start with and we're down to 93.

Plan on a 5 stop strategy and your looking at 18.6 gallons per stop roughly 0-3 seconds in the pits per stop(18.6*5=93 liters and seconds total in pits).

A four stop strategy would give similar results taking on 23.25 gallons of fuel each stop (23.25*4 = 93 liters and seconds total in pits) however why not take the fresher tires.

All depends on if the fuel weight is worth the 21 seconds extra in the pits or not.

I'm not seeing the weight of your fuel load having a huge impact on your lap times.

I don't think anyone knows for sure if it does or not. I noticed when I accidentally took on a full load with the MX-5 that it felt heavier and more sluggish, but there's every chance that was psychological.

Would it not be easier to always take the free fuel thus minimizing time lost in the pits?

I don't quite follow. Your maths is a little confusing (there's a bit of a gallon/litre issue going on with it amongst other things) - are you saying that you should always take on the fuel you can get without a time penalty?

That way would further enhance a 5-4-5-4-4 schedule - the one I used - over the others, as you'd effectively spend no time immobile for fuel.

Subtract the 120 liters you start with

All cars have a 100 litre tank.

however why not take the fresher tires

Again, the 5-4-5-4-4 schedule - the one I used - means you're always on fresher tyres compared to a 5-5-5-5-6, 6-5-5-5-5 or 6-6-6-6.

Aye it was rather late when I was writing that up... However your correct, take the free fuel whenever possible to mizimize time sitting and waiting. Also taking an even amount of fuel on each stop to spread out the time instead of sitting and waiting in the pits with only 4 or 5 laps left. Perhaps you could even take on all the extra fuel early on so the last stops are just the length of changing the tires.

Your correct on my math being off, don't know why I was thinking it was a 120 liter tank, and when I said gallons I really meant liters. It still takes 213 liters to finish the race (not that we'd want to cut it that close) so say 215. 215 minus the 100 you start with leaves you refueling 115 liters over 5 stops or about 23 liters per stop. So you would need roughly 25 liters more than what would be "free". To me I'd take the extra on as early as possible so I could get out of the pits quicker later in the race.

Of course this math is only specific to this car I guess, though considering the length of the course it should be about the same for most vehicles.

Back