New Scoring .vs. Old Scoring

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
Just thought I'd post up a comparison between the current standings (awarded 25, 18...) and the previous system (10, 8...)

These graphics will update themselves after each race so you should see the correct standings all the way through the season.

New-Style

F1DC_2011_Standings.php

Old-Style

F1DC_2011_Standings.php

Last edited:
The differences between the scoring systems are negligible for the top six. It might appear that things were closer under the old system since the actual literal number of points between them was smaller, but if we more accurately view them in terms of percentages between their points, there's virtually no difference between the top six (after that obviously rankings start to shuffle around).

Current:
Sebastian Vettel 93 points
Lewis Hamilton -37%
Mark Webber -41%
Jenson Button -51%
Fernando Alonso -56%
Felipe Massa -74%

Old:
Sebastian Vettel 38 points
Lewis Hamilton -37%
Mark Webber -39%
Jenson Button -50%
Fernando Alonso -58%
Felipe Massa -76%

That's an interesting point - the winner now receives something like 18% more points than P2 as opposed to 20%. People often see the 'new' scores as benefitting the winner more greatly - in actual fact they benefit P3 downwards more.

EDIT: I should correct that, the only really big winners are P7 and P2; presumably the P2 bonus is to make you fight for the win rather than settle for second. I quickly put together a graphic showing the old/new systems on a number scale follwed by a direct scale comparison. The P7 points under the new system seem a bit of an aberration...

F1ScoreTypes.jpg

Last edited:
What ever happened to good ol' 9-6-4-3-2-1?

:D

Was that around the early sixties? The problem then was that you couldn't score for every race you entered and only two cars scored per team (if I remember correctly).

:D

Was that around the early sixties? The problem then was that you couldn't score for every race you entered and only two cars scored per team (if I remember correctly).

Actually, you're right; the scoring could get pretty bizarre. They would do things like count only the best 12 results in a 14-race season, or even best 7 out of the first 8 and best 5 out of the last 6. Or maybe it was the CanAm that did it that last way? It's been a while and my memory is a bit foggy. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the 9-6-4-3-2-1 was in use into the 70's.

Actually, you're right; the scoring could get pretty bizarre. They would do things like count only the best 12 results in a 14-race season, or even best 7 out of the first 8 and best 5 out of the last 6. Or maybe it was the CanAm that did it that last way? It's been a while and my memory is a bit foggy. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the 9-6-4-3-2-1 was in use into the 70's.

No, your memory serves you well... Sorry for the jedi impression.

I have no problem with the new(er) scoring system, something had to be done for the midfield teams because reliability these days is so good, we regularly get more than 15 finishers. While I don't think we should give points for everyone who finishes, its nice to at least have something for the lower-midfielders and even the backmarkers to aim for. The current hierarchy of:
Fight for victory
Fight for podium
Fight for decent points
Fight for points
Fight to get close to points
is pretty good I feel as it gives us little battles all the down the field to watch and allows us to measure success not just against 1st position. Kind of makes it easier to appreciate the effort required to finish in the top 10 with a Lotus when you know from the points system how rare that is. Or when Di Resta or Sebastien Buemi makes it to P7, you appreciate it being a good drive more than you perhaps otherwise would.

Its interesting to note that people don't really take much notice of positions 11th-24th as they aren't points scoring positions. Just as it was with 9th and 10th pre-2010. If points went all the way down to 24th, I don't think people would start paying more attention though, as then points are worth less. The fact only the select few get points helps highlight some performances more than they perhaps otherwise would be without long-winded explanations and analysis.

If reliability increases again, then the old 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 is good enough. But as long as more than 11 or 12 cars finish every race, its good to have system that rewards the little fights.

In terms of an individual championship then the point differences don't have much bearing... The real casualty is the history, facts and figures. Not everyone cares about them, they tell nothing of the stories throughout F1's past. But when a driver reached a total career points tally of 500 points, it was a good measure of the drivers talent and longeivity within the sport. With the new points though, 500 points can be achieved in 2 or 3 seasons.

In terms of an individual championship then the point differences don't have much bearing... The real casualty is the history, facts and figures. Not everyone cares about them, they tell nothing of the stories throughout F1's past. But when a driver reached a total career points tally of 500 points, it was a good measure of the drivers talent and longeivity within the sport. With the new points though, 500 points can be achieved in 2 or 3 seasons.

Exactly, win ratios/percentages are a better guide.

OP updated with points after Monaco, still no disparities :)

EDIT: Pending stewards inquiries, of course...

That was already a problem anyway as we've had so many points systems in the past. You can't compare stats from 1960 to 1990 nor to 2008. So its a pretty irrelevant point.

You can always look at positions or you can always simply create your own stats using whatever points system you like. You can go back and re-score 1960 with today's points system or vice versa...really we shouldn't be considering sporting regulations just to "preserve" statistics. It should be the last thing on the FIA's minds.

Back