• 666 comments

chuyler1

Premium
United States
New Hampshire
chuyler1
News)
7/21/11
* Results after fourth race are posted here.
* Parts for next week are due no later than Wednesday at 12:00PM Eastern.
* Please try to arrive on-time for racing. Lobby opens at 9:30 and race needs to start at 10:00.

6/29/11
Registration closed. Chuyler1's private lobby opens for first race at 9:30 EDT on Wednesday.

Mazda%252520Raceway%252520Laguna%252520Seca_21.jpg

Objective)
Purchase a cheap car that has 375 performance points or less and show up to the first race. After each race, points are awarded based on placement and totaled at the end of the series to determine the winner. Extra credits are awarded to spend on your car as well. The loser gets the most credits to improve their car while the winner gets the least. The goal is to rotate out leaders by giving underdogs a little more to spend on their cars. Run what you brung and hope for the best finish each week. Pit strategy and accident avoidance will play a key role. Prize cars will be awarded at the end of the series to the top performers.

Initial Vehicle Selection)
Race Cars, Rally Cars, and Tuner brand cars are prohibited.
Car must start at or below 375pp AFTER a complete engine and chassis refresh.
Car must have at 200 miles at 375pp.
0-mile cars are only allowed if they are at 370pp.
Car must be between 19xx-1999. Newer cars are prohibited.
For cars under 375pp, power and weight mods are allowed for the first race to get it to 375pp.
Any modification that does not directly affect pp is not allowed for the first race.
This includes: Chassis reinforcement, transmissions, drivetrain improvements, and suspension improvements.
Aero parts will be prohibited from the first race.
Ballast and Power Reduction will also prohibited for the first race.

Tires and Other Freebees)
Tires will be free (not included in budget) and compound restriction will increase with each race starting with Comfort tires and ending with Racing tires. Paint, wheels, oil changes, engine rebuilds, and chassis rebuilds will also be free as there is no way to police that sort of thing. Aero kits are not free.

Race format)
Time: Wednesdays. Room opens for warmup at 9:30PM EDT (GMT -4). Race starts at 10:00PM.
Length: Each race will be roughly 1.5 hours in length
Damage: Set to full -- cars involved in accidents will have to pit for repairs or drive with damage
Penalties: Off -- races will be reviewed and points/credits will be deducted as necessary. In short, follow GTP OLR rules.
Grip: Set to real
Tire wear/fuel consumption: On

Qualifying)
9:30PM EDT - Room opens for 20 minutes of practice
9:49PM EDT - Track will be reset and the race will be scheduled to auto-start at exactly 10:00.
9:50PM EDT - Everyone will be given 10 minutes to put down a qualifying lap.

* When entering the track, watch the map to make sure you don't interfere with someone already on their hot laps.
* If you make a mistake, yield to faster cars on the track as to not ruin their qualifying lap too.
* Do not exit to the lobby for any reason.
* Do not enter pit road for any reason (if you get damage, tough luck).
* When you are happy with your time you can either continue running laps until the time runs out or you can park out of the way. Do not interfere with any other drivers on the track after you have finished qualifying.

Entering and Exiting the Pits during the race:
Do not cross the white line. Yield to faster cars on the track in the first turn by staying on the same side of the track as the pit until you reach racing speeds.

Schedule)
X) June 22nd -- Pre-season warmup -- Laguna Seca Raceway -- Comfort Soft -- 50 laps
1) June 29th -- Grand Valley East Reverse -- Comfort Soft -- 60 laps
2) July 6th -- Tsukuba Circuit -- Sport Hard -- 75 laps
3) July 13th -- Autodromo Nazionale Monza -- Sport Medium -- 40 laps
4) July 20th -- Trial Mountain Circuit -- Sport Soft -- 55 laps

5) July 27 -- Suzuka Circuit (weather change) -- Racing Hard / Rain Tires -- 35 laps
6) August 3rd -- Côte d’Azur -- Racing Medium
7 August 10th -- Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 Time Change (full 24hr cycle) -- Racing Soft

Awards)
1. = 20 Points, 0 cr
2. = 16 Points, 1,000 cr
3. = 13 Points, 2,500 cr
4. = 11 Points, 5,000 cr
5. = 10 Points, 7,500 cr
6. = 9 Points, 10,000 cr
7. = 8 Points, 15,000 cr
8. = 7 Points, 20,000 cr
9. = 6 Points, 25,000 cr
10-16. = 5 Points, 30,000 cr

* Award money can be banked until after next race
* Parts cannot be sold off once installed (if you purchase a sport exhaust and later want to upgrade to a racing exhaust you have to pay full price for it)
* Tires are free so money only has to be spent on performance mods

Missing Races)
* Drivers receive no points for missing races
* Drivers receive the median winnings to spend on the next race. If only 7 drivers show up to the race with the lowest winnings being 0 and the highest winnings being 15,000, absent drivers will receive 7,500 credits to spend on the next race.

Keeping it Fair)
1. Driver chooses a car and submits specifications to race steward prior to the start of the series.

2. After each race, car and mods installed will be made public and cars must be shared for others to inspect.

3. Inspection process will involve verifying parts purchased are what is installed and lap times are consistent with those seen in the race.

4. Parts chosen for subsequent races must be submitted prior to the start of the next race and will not be made public until after the race is completed.

Season Rankings)
https://spreadsheets2.google.com/sp...5udHVSa3lKeldYQ2tyZFlVVDRtX1VXTHc&output=html

Last edited:
I'm in. Still shopping and testing. So far it is between the FF Talon and FR MX-5s or Silvias. I want to test older Toyotas, but they haven't come up on my UCD, yet.

Lots of MX-5 and Silvias to choose from. No S2000 below 375PP.

Make sure y'all do an engine refresh and not just an oil change. Oil change will increase the PP, but engine refresh will increase it even more. I was going to use a 67 Toyota 2000GT but the engine refresh bumped the PP above 375 (but oil change only made it stay below 375 PP).

I am going with the Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '96 at 368PP.

Edit: not going to finish the season at la Sarthe?

Lots of MX-5 and Silvias to choose from. No S2000 below 375PP.

Make sure y'all do an engine refresh and not just an oil change. Oil change will increase the PP, but engine refresh will increase it even more. I was going to use a 67 Toyota 2000GT but the engine refresh bumped the PP above 375 (but oil change only made it stay below 375 PP).

I am going with the Nissan Silvia Q's Aero (S14) '96 at 368PP.

Edit: not going to finish the season at la Sarthe?

Did I miss-read the rules, or do they specifically ban engine refreshes?

supernasty, you have to do an engine refresh first, and see if the car meets 375PP.

2nd line after the initial car selection: Car must start at or below 375pp AFTER a complete engine and chassis refresh.

supernasty, you have to do an engine refresh first, and see if the car meets 375PP.

2nd line after the initial car selection: Car must start at or below 375pp AFTER a complete engine and chassis refresh.

Oh your right, I misread the thread. it's chassis reinforcement we can't do. Not even similar. Dumb me.

I was going to use a 67 Toyota 2000GT but the engine refresh bumped the PP above 375
Bummer, I was eying that car as well. I'm sure we will have a few miatas in the mix. I am going to stay away from them though because I want something unique.

not going to finish the season at la Sarthe?
It didn't get many votes on the survey. I think Monaco is a good alternative. It won't be a fastest-car wins finale so driver skill will play a key role. Plus its almost guaranteed anyone driving too aggressively will get damage and have to make an unscheduled pit stop.

Correct. Performing the refresh means we all start out at the same place. Without that requirement, drivers could pick the oldest beat-up car they could find and then perform the refresh after the first race to gain more pp than the competition.

Oh bummer about la Sarthe. That is one of my favorite course. Maybe folks will want to race there during the season and we can keep it as an option? I just figured that the name of the series means we are going to end up at la Sarthe. The night racing with heavy damage certainly adds a new element.

Bummer about the 2000GT for sure, that is one good looking car. The BMW 2002 Turbo 73 is also available. Never tried it, so maybe I'll give that a shot and compare to the Silvia.

Yeah, I'm also disappointed that la Sarthe didn't make the cut.

Not sure if I should run an MR2, an S13 or 14, or an AE86...

sleightaru, maybe if more people ask for la Sarthe, we can tack it on.

AE86 is interesting. Maybe I'll try that. Forget the 2002--the menu told me a wrong PP.

chuyler, I would like to see if we can bump the starting pp to 400 from 375. At 375, I do not see that much variety.

sleightaru, maybe if more people ask for la Sarthe, we can tack it on.

AE86 is interesting. Maybe I'll try that. Forget the 2002--the menu told me a wrong PP.

chuyler, I would like to see if we can bump the starting pp to 400 from 375. At 375, I do not see that much variety.

I agree, I think we'll see a lot of the same cars if we do 375. 400 would open up a ton more options, non of which look like they could dominate. With 400 I think we'd see a pretty great variety of cars.

There is the same variety at both levels. I understand there is a car you may want to run in that range...but this isn't about running your favorite car, its about running a lemon.

I had people fill out a survey and it was 50/50 between 350 and 400. I split the difference to make everyone happy. Sure there are a lot of miatas in that range, but there are also a lot of classics and a boat load of FF cars that might do well.

I was actually hoping for an early 90s Skyline, but they are all over 375.

I am leaning toward a Sylvia, but that is because I haven't gotten an older Toyota to test, yet. Still, I have to agree, there are a lot of great cars that are just slightly out of reach. Even older Civics are just too high.

I just don't think it is the same without Le Mans at the end. I even want to bump it up from 20 laps to 25 or 30.

Well there were a mixture of votes for the different versions of le Sarthe but none had more than 3 votes. I suppose we could extend the series to 7 races. Anyone object to that?

Time change! Time change! Time change!

I'm okay with 7 races.

I could do without Suzuka. If it rains, there is no way I am staying on the track. But I guess that would be a good challenge.

You know I'm in! I know Bowtiekid will be running and Twichie is s definate maybe. The good thing is we know they'll make the race each week

I regret immensely the problems I had in the first 4 races. I definately had the most HP and PP till Snoopy entered the series. Xonant took me out on GVE-R when he was 2 laps down. Garris got into me the next three races while he was down laps and I made a mess of Nurb in the dark. Snoopy and I were in the pits more than out of them. 6 times for me and I think 7 or 8 for him.

Sarthe I finally ran w/o a mic and I do honestly believe the race was mine to lose. The elongated pit for removing the small damage (I wish I could have elected not to fix since it adds 12 seconds!) took my ability to draft with Wii and snoopy away. I ran 4:04 with it and 4:03 w/o between laps 13 and 17 where I gained about 1-2 seconds a lap. By lap 17, I moved to withing 6 seconds back running consistent 4:03-04. Then Garris didnt move aside while getting lapped...I swung wide with the draft I got from him and rubbed a wall. I ran the last three laps with front end damage (multiple circles :( ) and eventually ran out of gas. In the end I was fortunate to make 3rd.

The car was a winner and fate disagreed.

PS: I will not be mic'd for season 2. I proved to myself last night in the 450s that I'm a contender every race if I'm quiet, patient and concentrated. I will continue that.

:cheers:

Last edited:
How about everyone keep their mics, but we keep the chatter down.

I'm in, I just cashed out on a 200SX, but I'm choosing between that and the Honda Integra DC5.

EDIT: Didn't read the rules, off to find another car.

Testing as well...Do we have a certain amount to spend this time or is it initially just PP restricted to a freshened 375?

is there an open spot, and if so, may I join this fine series?!

there's a unique feeling to it

excellent use of what the game has to offer

Testing as well...Do we have a certain amount to spend this time or is it initially just PP restricted to a freshened 375?
No monetary restriction for the start of the season. You just have to be at or under 375pp without the use of ballast or power reduction...and of course the car has to be 1999 or older.

is there an open spot, and if so, may I join this fine series?!
Yes, there should be openings. We only had 8 regulars last season and I'm hoping to start with 16. If we gain too much interest, it will be first-post-first-serve.

I tested several cars last night. I kept getting my hopes up with cars only to be disappointed when a) the pp went up as soon as I looked at the tuning menu (cars from the original pp patch where tires affected pp) or b) after a refresh the car went over 375.

Right now I've got two contenders but I'm still searching.

I'm in, like I said I would be. Car? We'll say TBD. I drive worst without a mic on dammit!

My MR2 SC comes in at 376pp, damn! :lol:

I think one of the keys to this season will be picking the right upgrades from the start when money is unlimited.

Back