The Arcade Mode FAQ v1.3b

• Thread starter Ghostrider
  • 54 comments

Ghostrider

***Moderator***
Staff Emeritus
Welcome to the Complete Arcade Mode FAQ!

By: WickedGT

+===========+
| Single Race FAQ |
+===========+

Q: How do I unlock new tracks in Arcade Mode?
A: To unlock new tracks in Arcade mode, you can simply complete all races within a single "Area" (6 race set, excluding E and F which have 5) on the Easy difficulty.

Q: How do I unlock new cars in Arcade Mode?
A: Though, the resource of cars you can unlock are quite limited, most are quite nifty. To unlock cars, you must complete Areas on Normal or Hard difficulties. If you beat an Area on Hard, you will be rewarded with S, or a Rally Class Car. (All are S-Class except for 1 Rally) Whereas Normal give much lower class cars (Excluding the Viper GTS-R Concept and Speed 12 which are S-Class Cars)

Cars Acquired Chart

Normal Difficulty
Area A : Mazda Miata MX-S
Area B : TT 1.8 Quattro
Area C : Mazda RX-8
Area D : Z Concept Car
Area E : Ruf RGT, Tuscan Speed 6
Area F : Viper GTS-R Concept, TVR Speed 12

Hard Difficulty
Area A : C-West Silvia Race Car
Area B : Delta Intergrate HF Rally Car
Area C : Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Area D : Zonda Race Car
Area E : R390GT1 LM Race Car, Panoz Esperante GTR-1
Area F : Toyota GT-ONE Race Car, 787B Race Car

Q: Which Area is the Wet SS Route 5 in?
A: Area F, The last area.

Q: Does car class affect anything when completeing races?
A: Nope, once a race is beat with any class, it's done.

Q: How can I get through Single Race mode the fastest?
A: The main key here is to not do any other difficulty other than Hard. This means that when you beat a course, all difficulties for that course are completed.

Q: Where can I see my current completetion status?
A: The "Clear Status" area is where you can see your current progress in the Single Race mode. In this screen, you'll see the tracks listed on the left, and what level of difficulty is currently completed on the right. If all 3 difficulties have a dot in their column, then that course is finished. If you race on Hard difficulty, it will also fill in the Easy and Normal difficulty completetion dots. If you win a race on Normal difficulty, it will fill in the Easy difficulty completetion dot along with the Normal one.

Q: Hard Difficulty is way too Hard! Help!!! What can I do?
A1: Here's a few hints that will make your woes alittle less painful. First off, you should complete Area A on Hard to get the C-West Razo Silvia Race Car (S Class). This car is a gem of a racer, and the opponents you race against are mostly Rally Cars and the occasional Clio Sport Racer. or even your twin Razo Silvia. and the elusive MR5 Racer. Now that you have this car, go beat all the races with this. If the MR5 is giving you fits, be sure to Exit out of the race and re-enter (exit fully, so that the opponents are changed). If your lucky, he will no longer be there, making the race a whole lot easier. For Rally course, use the Impreza Rally Car until you get the Delta Turbo Rally (Which is unlocked in Area B done on Hard difficulty). Use the Delta's Muscle to win the rest of the rallys.

A2: Don't like S-Class? Use the Opel Speedster! A B-Class car which absolutley shreds up the competition of its class. Also, for rallys, the 206 Rally Car has very good Weight/HP ratio, and some nice handling too, which may prove quite useful in courses like Tahiti Maze.

Q: What do I get for completeing all the Single Races on Easy, Normal, and Hard?
A: Easy : All Tracks, No Extra Cars, Ending Movie A
Normal : All Tracks, Low Class Bonus Cars(2 S-Class), Ending Movie A and B
Hard : All Tracks, High and Low Class Bonus Cars(1 Rally), Ending Movie A and B.

Q: This is too simple with the Speedster/Silvia, what car should I use for a bit of a challenge?
A: Try some of the faster S-Class cars such as the Viper GTS-R Team Oreca. This will put you up against much tougher and faster opponents. (Toyota GT-One, Mazda 787B, R390GT1 Racer, Panoz Esperante, etc.)

Q: What is Professional Mode, and how do I access it?
A: Professional "Mode" isn't really a mode at all, it's a hidden difficulty setting. To access the Professional difficulty, hold down L1 and R1 at the "Select Difficulty" screen in Single Race mode. Hard will change to Professional. In this difficulty, you will face non-handicapped AI opponents. They will go full speed and have no mercy on every part of the course. Also, to improve the challenge, there is tire damage and 10 laps. Need some help in beating them? Keep in mind that they are basically perfect drivers, they are NOT perfect thinkers. They will PIT during the race. If you can contain your car with red-hot tires, you'll be able to pass them while they are pitting. (Making up HUGE amounts of ground!) But, this is still easier said then done.
Want a challenge? Hop into your GT-ONE and head for SS Route 11! Keep in mind though, there is nothing to be earned from this mode other than a awesome race!

+==========+
|Time Trial FAQ |
+==========+

Q: How hard is Time Trial?
A: Depending on how skillful you are on certain tracks with certain cars, It could be very simple, or very difficult. In essence, the times are challenging to beat, but are very possible to be broken. About the equivilent of recieving a Silver/Gold on an S License Test. It just takes time to learn the good line, and the process of shaving down your line. Alot of patience is required to triumph in the TT's.

Q: I was failed on Complex String while on the rumble strip in the Fast S-Curves, what gives? I didn't even touch the cone!
A: An odd occurance that has happened to me several times is failing while being on the rumble strips in the fast S-Curves. After watch the replay serveral times, my car got VERY close to the Cone but did NOT touch it. Since the cones are realatively close, i doubt ir is because of me going out in the dirt. Perhaps the cones eminated a 4-5 pixel aura of failure? Just be careful.

Q: What is my prize for beating every time trial?
A: A Beauty IMO. You pocket a "FREE" Panoz Esperente GT1 Racer in your SIMULATION Garage! You can use this bad boy as your ULTIMATE first car. and basically whipe the floor in Beginner League, racking up major credits to finace the upgrading and purchase of other cars. Keep in mind though, that a time trial is finished once you get 1st, not just the top 3.

Alternate Route: Don't like the Panoz? Sell it! You'll begin the game now with 518,000 cr. That is plenty to finance your first car, tune it to the max, and dominate the competition.

Tips for Time Trial Completetion

Mainly, the key to victory is trying to follow the line the developer's have ran, and improve upon it. Every Developer has 1 bad area in their time where you can make up a huge amount of time (ie. Deep Forrest - Last turn, he lets off the gas for a long whiile, whereas, you can go full throttle with no braking and have MUCH more speed then he does in the straight)

Another prodominant key I've noticed is the beignning turns determines the outcome of the race. Be sure to take the beginning turns (usually the first tough turn/slow turn) as best as you can.

The main key is PRACTICE

Another little bit of info is that ASM/TCS is on in all TT's and cannot be turned off, hence, Apex's are important (as they usually are) Brake Early, Accelrate hard out.

Exit speeds are critical on turns that lead to straightaways (ie. FInal turn on Complex String, mid-course turn in Trial Mountain)

These are the areas where you can really put a distance between you and his car.

After completeing some good laps, be sure to compare your ghost to the demo (just watch the demo again, and your ghost will be shown there) and see where he is beating you, and just work on improving your time in that area.

Also, if you want to get technical, write down/memorize the split times in each area. This is a good indicator of how your doing while racing, just by checking your split.

Remember, Patience is key since some TT's are fairly difficult.

+======+
|Misc. Info|
+======+

Q: Does the Arcade Mode influence my Simulation Mode?
A: Yes. The Arcade Mode is included within your Trophy Count and your total % Completed (I believe it is near to 15/20% of game completion). Also, if you get the Panoz from the Time Trial, you'll certainly have a big influence

Q: I loaded up my Sim garage in Arcade Mode, but all the HP/Weight is wrong, what gives?
A: In Arcade Mode, when cars are loaded up from Sim Garages, all power and weight is shown as it would be in stock form (unmodified form). However, you will still retain the power/weight while racing.

Q: What is the difference between Racing and Drift settings?
A: Racing Style : This car setting allows the car to be like a normal race car. Allowing for apex taking turns. The basic "brake early, accelerate out' rule is the main idea behind this setting. As opposed to the Drift mode, the car is basically glued to the track, with no powersliding really possible (unless ASM/TCS are disabled)

Drift Style : This car setting allows the car to controllably be powerslided around turns. The car's back end will swing outward while turning to allow for quick slide turns. The main strategy to keep in mind is that while the powerslides are controlable, they are still highly likely to result in spin outs if not handled properly. Moreover, the powerslides, when executed effectively, can result in faster turn taking. But, if you try this setting without ASM/TCS, be warned, the car has a very nasty tendency of sliding a tad to wide at high speed.

Q: I beat every track in Single Race on Normal, and a few on Hard. When i goto the "Goal" area in Clear Status, It says "Win All Courses First" even though the "See Ending" Button is Flashing! What's the deal?
A: I'm afraid you need to complete every course on hard now to see the endings. It's an odd bug in the programming that has occured in some versions. Review my tips above to make the job easier.

Q: Huh? The Oil Light came on during Arcade Mode??
A: If you load up your Sim Garage and use your Sim Cars in Arcade Mode, they will still retain Simulation qualities. Oil will get lower in grade (and eventually require changing), Mileage will also count onto your car's total, and your car will get dirty. If your car needs an oil change/wash, take it back to Sim mode, change the oil, wash it, and back to Arcade mode! In 2-player, however, no mileage/oil/dirt will be affected.

Q: What courses and cars are able to be used in a 2-Player Battle?
A: 2-Player Battle Mode can use every car you have earned in Single Race mode, as well as every track you have unlocked (including Complex String I and II) BUT... for some reason Monaco (Cote d'Azur) is not in 2-Player Battle

Q: What courses and cars are able to be used in an I.Link Battle?
A: Every course is able to be raced on in I.Link, but only if you've unlocked every course in Single Race mode. (Yes, including Cote d'Azur!). Also every Arcade car you have unlocked is also excessable...... but..... you may NOT use any of your cars from your Simulation Garage. You are limited to only the Arcade cars.

NOTICE: If there are more than 4 consoles I.Linked, SS Route 5 Wet I and II will not be able to be raced on.

Q: How do I get more courses for Free Run?
A: Alls you hae to do is race "Single Race" mode and unlock new tracks. All tracks you unlock will be able to be raced in Free Run.

Q: Which version of GT3 is this information in the FAQ based from?
A: The Information contained within this FAQ is mainly from the NTSC version, which I use. Other information was later added by other people whom responded with information. Everything in this FAQ works in the NTSC version of GT3. If there are any differences between the JPN/PAL/NTSC versions, please let me know!

+=====+
| Credits |
+=====+

Mike "WickedGT" - Compiler of Information, FAQ Author

My Father - Inspiration for making FAQ, and for being an awesome Racer, a cool Dad, and one psychotically determined gamer!

Thanks, I didn't know what cars I was opening, as I had been using Sim cars for these races. :thumbsup: aaaaaayyyy.

fantastic work ghostrider....it is much appreciated..but one more question ..do you have to unlock all the tracks in the single race so you can beat all times in free run and get that car..and last question the cars you win in arcade..can they be played in the stimulation mode?

one last question ..ya know if ya enter it on hard and you complete it the easy and normal are complete too ..well do ya still ghet the stuff that you would for completing them individually?

Originally posted by coolrules
one last question ..ya know if ya enter it on hard and you complete it the easy and normal are complete too ..well do ya still ghet the stuff that you would for completing them individually?
I think this part answers your question:

Q: What do I get for completeing all the Single Races on Easy, Normal, and Hard?
A: Easy : All Tracks, No Extra Cars, Ending Movie A
Normal : All Tracks, Low Class Bonus Cars(2 S-Class), Ending Movie A and B
Hard : All Tracks, High and Low Class Bonus Cars(1 Rally), Ending Movie A and B.

fantastic work ghostrider....it is much appreciated..but one more question ..do you have to unlock all the tracks in the single race so you can beat all times in free run and get that car..and last question the cars you win in arcade..can they be played in the stimulation mode?
On these questions, I'm not sure about the first but the second question is probably not. :)

Cote d' azur is not possible to be played with 2 people in the game because it would have taken them another year to be able to design multiplayer for it. Someone posted a link to a very good interview with the creater of gt and he answered that question.

ghostrider i ment ...right you know when you complete it on easy you get prizes and then different ones for when tyou complete it on normal ..well if ya dont do them and just do hard do you still get the prises that you would for completeing easy as well?

ghostrider i ment ...right you know when you complete it on easy you get prizes and then different ones for when tyou complete it on normal ..well if ya dont do them and just do hard do you still get the prises that you would for completeing easy as well?
Well the way I read it you do get it all. So I guess thats the way to go!!

Well guy's I raced and won the A and B sections on hard level and all I got was more tracks, no cars. :mad: I don't know why. According to this faq I should have 2 cars and more tracks. hmmmmmmmmm, well I guess someone might have an answer to this some where. :confused:

Originally posted by ghostrider
Well guy's I raced and won the A and B sections on hard level and all I got was more tracks, no cars. :mad: I don't know why. According to this faq I should have 2 cars and more tracks. hmmmmmmmmm, well I guess someone might have an answer to this some where. :confused:
O.K. I'm gonna answer my own question. You get the cars only in acarde mode not in your garage. :)

What are the Five tracks in the last area? Is there a complex string II and a wet II?

Also I think I figured out that when you race your garage against the arcade it finds cars with your power to weight ratio. This might not be news to anybody but when I asked I was told it was determined by hp but throught trial have found it to be the PW ratio.

Found it here,
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/gran_turismo_3_a.txt

Full Track Listing for Arcade Mode

-----------------------------------------------

01.) Super Speedway
Tarmac / Length 1.494miles / AREA A

02.) Mid-Field Raceway
Tarmac / Length 2.235miles / AREA A

03.) Smokey Mountain
Dirt / Length 2.223miles / AREA A

04.) Swiss Alps
Dirt / Length 2.044miles / AREA A

05.) Trial Mountain
Tarmac / Length 2.437miles / AREA A

06.) Mid-Field Raceway II
Tarmac / Length 2.229miles / AREA A

07.) Smokey Mountain II
Dirt / Length 2.223miles / AREA B

08.) Tokyo Route 246
Tarmac / Length 3.182miles / AREA B

09.) Grand Valley Speedway
Tarmac / Length 3.121miles / AREA B

10.) Laguna Seca Raceway
Tarmac / Length 2.276miles / AREA B

11.) Rome Circuit
Tarmac / Length 2.459miles / AREA B

12.) Tahiti Circuit
Dirt / Length 2.313miles / AREA B

13.) Swiss Alps II
Dirt / Length 2.044miles / AREA C

14.) Trial Mountain II
Tarmac / Length 2.436miles / AREA C

15.) Deep Forest Raceway
Tarmac / Length 2.222miles / AREA C

16.) Special Stage Route 5
Tarmac / Length 2.350miles / AREA C

17.) Seattle Circuit
Tarmac / Length 2.400miles / AREA C

18.) Test Course
Tarmac / Length 6.426miles / AREA C

19.) Tokyo Route 246 II
Tarmac / Length 3.182miles / AREA D

20.) Grand Velley Speedway II
Tarmac / Length 3.121miles / AREA D

21.) Rome Circuit II
Tarmac / Length 2.459miles / AREA D

22.) Tahiti Circuit II
Dirt / Length 2.313miles / AREA D

23.) Tahiti Maze
Dirt / Length 2.209miles / AREA D

24.) Apricot Hill Raceway
Tarmac / Length 2.402miles / AREA D

25.) Special Stage Route 11
Tarmac / Length 2.834miles / AREA E

26.) Deep Forest Raceway II
Tarmac / Length 2.222miles / AREA E

27.) Special Stage Route 5 II
Tarmac / Length 2.350miles / AREA E

28.) Seattle Circuit II
Tarmac / Length 2.400miles / AREA E

29.) Cote d'Azur
Tarmac / Length 2.090miles / AREA E

30.) Special Stage Route 5
Tarmac / Length 2.350miles / AREA F

31.) Apricot Hill Raceway II
Tarmac / Length 2.402miles / AREA F

32.) Special Stage Route 11 II
Tarmac / Length 2.818miles / AREA F

33.) Tahiti Maze II
Dirt / Length 2.209miles / AREA F

34.) Special Stage Route 5 II
Tarmac / Length 2.350miles / AREA F

you said earlier that if you beat the arcade mode on easy, which i did, it said that i would get Ending Movie A. well, yes, it DOES say GOAL and then "See Ending", but to my despair, i can't view it; it tells me to win all races first...what gives? :confused:

Originally posted by Poolplayer_87
Does washing your car really do anything? i've personaly never seen a differance!

Just wondering

💡
I don't think it makes any difference. It does make you think you got a clean car thou..

Originally posted by pHrikshuN-X
you said earlier that if you beat the arcade mode on easy, which i did, it said that i would get Ending Movie A. well, yes, it DOES say GOAL and then "See Ending", but to my despair, i can't view it; it tells me to win all races first...what gives? :confused:
You have to win the Beginner League aswell.

Originally posted by ghostrider
I don't think it makes any difference. It does make you think you got a clean car thou..

Oh, it makes a difference. Try this:

Run one of your cars all the way through the rally mode without washing it.

Then, check the car in the garage screen. You'll see what I mean.

Originally posted by GT3Corvette
How come I beat all of the races in single player even on hard and still didnt get the F-1 Car your supposed to win after you beat them.

You don't get an F1 or any car for completeing the arcade mode except for the added optional arcade cars. No garage benefits.

Originally posted by AltF8

Oh, it makes a difference. Try this:

Run one of your cars all the way through the rally mode without washing it.

Then, check the car in the garage screen. You'll see what I mean.
This also works with the reg. street cars. Just do like 5+ races and than wash it. Like what Altf8 said it does make a difference:eek:

There isn't a performance difference though, as nearly as I can tell. You might think a good wash `n wax would improve the aerodynamics of the faster cars, but they didn't seem to include that. However, the car does look dirty after a few long races (:

~LoudMusic

Ok, I've beaten the first six tracks on Hard, then when it unlocks the next set do I have to beat those too? I would think so, but I'm too tired to figure it out for myself ... ha, I'm so lazy.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Ok, I've beaten the first six tracks on Hard, then when it unlocks the next set do I have to beat those too? I would think so, but I'm too tired to figure it out for myself ... ha, I'm so lazy.

~LoudMusic

Yep, when you unlock each one, you'll get some cars plus the next series of tracks.

Back