GTPlanet at the Mercedes Live Race - GT vs Coulthard

• Thread starter daan
  • 31 comments

daan

Salut Gilles
Scotland
Scotland
GTP_daan
Thanks to Sony and Mercedes, :gtplanet: received an invite to go along to this little event that they had planned. In case you haven't heard of it by now, ex-F1 racer and current BBC F1 expert pundit, David Coulthard was going to race a Mercedes SLS around a secret location whilst gamers using GT5 would race round the same track, to see who could get the fastest time.

GT5 gamers had been asked by Mercedes to sign up, which they did in their thousands. A random selection was made and 24 lucky people ended up getting invited to Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands to take part.

I was asked if I wanted to go and I jumped at the chance to go to MBW and witness this ambitious event. Whilst not being eligible for the grand prize which was a trip to the 2011 Brazilian GP, I would still get to drive at the same time as the finalists and DC. I was also to get to drive the real SLS but, as I was in the wrong place at the right time, I never got to have a go. :( Hopefully something may be sorted out for a later date.

I arrived at MBW at quarter to nine on Monday morning to be greeted by the sight of 14 racing pods complete with PS3s, Logitech DFGT wheels and Sony Bravia TVs. Well, the first sight when I got there was actually the CLK GTR road car in the foyer, but more of that and the other exhibits later.

The GT5 pods by GTRdaan, on Flickr

Who would be standing on this podium later?

The contestants arrived just after 9am. After signing in, they were split up into 3 groups of 8. One group would use the pods to set a qualifying time, and the other 2 groups would head outside to the track. One of those 2 groups would get to drive round the track, and the traction circle, in a selection of AMG machinery including C63 and the SLS, and the other would get a shot of driving the M-class around the off-road course. The groups would then switch over so that each of the 3 groups got a chance to do all 3 of the activities. Driving round the track, and off-road, was just for fun though and the main action of the day would centre around the GT5 pods.

C63 AMG. Sideyways. by GTRdaan, on Flickr

The secret location was revealed to be Dunsfold Park, aka the Top Gear Test Track. Whilst the actual location had been kept secret, the smart money was on the TGTT as it was the only UK track in GT5, apart from the London Street track. DC was also in the UK having taken part in the DTM race at Brands Hatch the previous day. Closing central London was probably too much even for the combined might of Sony and Mercedes, so the TGTT it was.

The contest to find the fastest 6 drivers started with the first group. Those were found by letting them drive the SLS around the Top Gear Test Track for 2, 10 minute sessions. The racers' fastest time from the first session, along with their 2 best times from the 2nd session would be added together and it would be that combined time that would decide who went through. I thought that was good system as it rewarded consistency as well as outright speed.

Sony had brought along a special build of GT5 that only had Time Trial mode with 2 tracks and one car. The tracks were Laguna Seca and the TGTT. There was only one car and it was no surprise to find it was the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG ’10. Laguna was used for a practise so that users could get used to the car and the pods.

Car settings were as follows:
  • Transmission was either automatic or manual depending on each driver's preference.
  • Tyres started off as sports hards for the heats but, as those proved too fast, were changed to Comfort Softs for the final.
  • ABS was set to 1. All other aids were set to off.

Controlling a 570 odd horsepower SLS with no traction control on tyres with not much grip proved a little tricky for some, especially those more used to using a controller, but most were soon into the groove and setting good times. The top drivers were setting times in the mid 1'14s while most were in the 1'16-1'17 bracket. Some drivers who had never seen the TGTT or used a wheel before struggled to get into the 1'20's. At this point, news was coming through from Dunsfold that DC was currently setting times in the 1'20 range also, so it wasn't looking good for DC...

Practise by GTRdaan, on Flickr

Jonathan Legard was there during this period doing bits to camera that would be run later as part of the live broadcast. It was really interesting getting to see this happening, behind the scenes, as it were. I know Jonathan got a hard time from some sections about his F1 commentary style but he really is a nice bloke!

Jonathan chatting up to Pollyanna from the Gadget Show and BBC sports presenter Mike.

After all the drivers had had their "qualifying" runs, the times were added up to get the top 6.

In between the qualifying and the final it was decided to change the tyres that the GT5 players were using. Obviously, the 1'14.xxx set in the qualifying were way too quick for DC in the SLS so the GT5 car was changed over to Comfort Softs. The real SLS was on the tyres it normally comes with so that should have equated to comfort softs in game anyway.

Due to the unforseeable tyre change, the finalists got another test session so they could acclimatise to the less grippy rubber that was now attempting to keep them on the track. It was a slight drawback to have to change tyres part way through the event but there are obviously a lot of unknowns in setting up events like these, not the least of which was the skill level of the chosen few, so it really was the only option open to the organisers.

The top 6 practise ahead of the main event.

Mercedes Live race - GT5 players vs DC

And so, after a morning of practice and qualifying, the main event began.

The top 6 sat in their respective pods. The other 8 pods were filled by reporters and celebrities and me! I was asked beforehand if I wanted a practise but I declined. After all, I should have known what I was doing...

The live feed from Dunsfold was on the big screen and Martin brought the flag down and DC was on his way. 6 eager challengers also set off. Although it was billed as a race, it was really a hotlap contest as no one had to battle their way past other cars. Forget racecraft, forget overtaking, the best time would win.

As I was racing in the my own pod, I was unaware of the times DC, and the other contestants, were doing. I could hear Jonathan and Martin commentating and I could gather that it was really close between DC and Jason. From my limited knowledge of what was happening it seemed that DC set his time early then his tyres or brakes overheated, leaving Jason, with none of those issues to try and better DC's time. Over the course of the contest Jason was chipping away at his times, gaining a tenth here and there on his previous best laps but DC was just slightly too quick for us to keep up. So, unfortunately for us gamers, DC won. Fortunately, for real racing drivers, DC won! But their time is limited!

After seeing how close a real SLS is to a simulated one, massive kudos must go to Sony and Polyphony Digital for giving us a racing simulator that so closely matches the real thing! 👍 Half a second is all that exists between virtual and reality.

With regard to my times, my first few laps were in the 1'20 range, then I had a few slower, or "red timed" laps, then I managed to sneak in a 1'18.897 which I was pleased with.

The podium by GTRdaan, on Flickr

David Coulthard: 1:16.32
Jason Birt: 1:16.86 (+0.548)
Rob Woodhouse: 1:17.53 (+1.214) Alfabob46
Andy Sawley 1:17.88 (+1.564) Hansawlo
Jamie Lunn 1:18.73 (+2.411)
John Morshead 1:19.27 (+2.955) (Has GTP app on phone but not signed up as far as I know)
Keith Brown 1:19.90 (+3.587) KushGuru

David Coulthard and Martin Brundle by GTRdaan, on Flickr

The final times.

The celebrities leaderboard with yours truly at the top. I was pleased with a time that would have put me 6th in the main event. The only issue I had was that the pods don't seem to be designed with folk of my height in mind. My left foot was fouling the brake pedal on occasion [/racing drivers' excuse]

Mercedes Benz World

When you walk in, you are greeted by the exceedingly rare CLK GTR road car

CLK GTR Road Car by GTRdaan, on Flickr

But I have to say that the highlight for me was the deconstructed F1 Mercedes hanging from the ceiling. It is, quite possibly, the coolest thing I have ever seen. The pictures don't quite do it justice and it really needs to be seen to be believed. Go and see it. Do it now!

Mercedes F1 deconstructed by GTRdaan, on Flickr

Oh, and didn't manage to get my photo taken with DC, (although to be fair, I didn't ask) but he did sign my copy of his autobiography that I had brought along. I got my photo taken with Martin though.

Martin Brundle meets me! by GTRdaan, on Flickr

Thanks must go to Sony (David Wilson), Jardine International (Glen Gibson and Calvin) and Mercedes for giving :gtplanet: an invitation to come along and watch/take part in this event. Thanks also to Maz/Synwraith for asking me if I wanted to go. 👍

Last edited:
I received an email with the F1 car, which is quite awesome. But I sure would have drolled over the floor because of the CLK GTR road car CONVERTIBLE!

Nice one Dave.

I'm glad you went, because I get eyestrain reading everything in purple.

:irked:👍

A good write up, well done to you Sir.

Now if PD would include GTPlanet in the Community section of the game.........

Man that looked like great fun. And that CLK is gorgeous! Congrats on getting the chance that only a few people ever get to experience.
Nice one Dave.

I'm glad you went, because I get eyestrain reading everything in purple.

:irked:👍

I see what you did there! LOL

I went to Mercedes world about 8-9 months ago to do this driving test in an A-Class for my birthday (Sucks but I'm only 16), and it was a few days before GT5 was released. From what I remember they had those GT5 pods there already, allowing people to drive the SLS around the Nurburgring. I never got a chance to try it, and that hanging F1 car wasn't there, either. But the CLK GTR was a nice sight.

Smashing report, David 👍

Shame I couldn't be there, couldn't get the time off work. Nice to know somone I can occasionally keep pace with is faster than some of the competitors :D

Great read Daan! 👍 Looked like it was a great event :) Saw the beginning of the race but then I had to get back to work.. :lol: And that CLK GTR is off the hook... I wonder how much they would want for that piece of art?!

I've added a couple of videos to the first post.

Thanks for the comments. 👍

Great write up and pics Dave and congratulations on not only being a celebrity but being the fastest celebrity...can I have your autograph and your bank details.

Looks like DC was taking some huge cuts early on - we had judges sat behind us ready to add 5 second penalties for some of those! I can't really grumble though - it was a great day and a unique experience 👍

Great write up David.👍 It was really enjoyable to watch the live stream on the front page, such a cool thing for GTP to partner with presenting. Your write up and pics really add to the 'coolness' of the whole thing.

mcfizzle
Great write up David.👍 It was really enjoyable to watch the live stream on the front page, such a cool thing for GTP to partner with presenting. Your write up and pics really add to the 'coolness' of the whole thing.

Exactly my sentiments. And I really do envy you!

The only issue I had was that the pods don't seem to be designed with folk of my height in mind. My left foot was fouling the brake pedal on occasion [/racing drivers' excuse]

Did you move the seat back? I found the pods to be a much better setup than I got at home. I am shorter than you though. When I got back home my pace was very similar to what I was doing in the pods so if I ever get chosen to compete I know my laptimes should be similar in the actual pods.

I managed to get DC to sign the box of the SLS AMG model car that came with the signature edition which I'm happy about.

Did you move the seat back? I found the pods to be a much better setup than I got at home.
Yep, the seat was as far back as it would go. The wheel was the right distance away, but the pedals were too close and at too high an angle for me. If they had been further away, or at that distance but flat, they would have been fine.

I managed to get DC to sign the box of the SLS AMG model car that came with the signature edition which I'm happy about.
I got him to sign his autobiography for me.

Yep, the seat was as far back as it would go. The wheel was the right distance away, but the pedals were too close and at too high an angle for me. If they had been further away, or at that distance but flat, they would have been fine.

I got him to sign his autobiography for me.

I understand what you mean by the pedals being close. Luckily I could move the seat back enough so it was fine for me.

A licensed GT Daimler model car getting signed is better (Fitting for the event) :P. DC's autobiography is a much more sensible thing to get signed though and I guess he appreciates it more.

First I must say I love GTPlanet, The Game and Mercedes. A great collaboration that proves the case for manufacturers being in such a good game/simulation can only serve to find and cultivate future clientele. Are you listening Porsche?

This challenge is unfortunately flawed by the outrageous course cutting alone but further damaged by the mid-event tire change to an impossible selection of comfort tires. Mercedes doesnot sell a SLS AMG version with anything less than a very high spec ultra high performance tire engineered for that car. This ruins the whole events' credibility.

If this was done to save DC's reputation, that is understandable, but tire model still needs tweeking within the game. I hope it is still under review with plans to improve it.

Something to think about.

Robert Phelps
Internationally published motorsports photojournalist.

Thanks for the PM, but I think I'll answer you here.

With the gap being half a second, I think that proves the tyre choice was correct. It may not be the correct name for the tyres but, in the interests of the competition, the times prove that they were the correct choice. DC slightly cut 2 corners on his lap, but that maybe gained him a couple of tenths, which would still have beaten the gamers. Jason and the others also had to contend with pressure and Jonathan Legard shouting in our ears, and DC's time has now been beaten by other GT5 drivers in the Seasonal time trial that anyone can compete in.

DC has competed at the pinnacle of motorsport. The environment at MBW was not conducive to setting the best times. I did a 1'18.897 there, and a 1'17.230 when I got home. That's one and half seconds quicker without the pressure of being there and 1 second off of DC's time. Can I say at this point that I'm division 3 in the WRS and consistantly 1-2 seconds off the top times in any contest I do... In my considered opinion, with all my experience of playing GT over the years, I reckon that a GTP WRS Division 1 Gold driver would have beaten DC on the day. That's not to take anything away from any of the drivers, as the top 6 finalists were all bloody good drivers, but they'd be the first to admit that they are not the cream.

Thanks for the PM, but I think I'll answer you here.

With the gap being half a second, I think that proves the tyre choice was correct. It may not be the correct name for the tyres but, in the interests of the competition, the times prove that they were the correct choice. DC slightly cut 2 corners on his lap, but that maybe gained him a couple of tenths, which would still have beaten the gamers. Jason and the others also had to contend with pressure and Jonathan Legard shouting in our ears, and DC's time has now been beaten by other GT5 drivers in the Seasonal time trial that anyone can compete in.

DC has competed at the pinnacle of motorsport. The environment at MBW was not conducive to setting the best times. I did a 1'18.897 there, and a 1'17.230 when I got home. That's one and half seconds quicker without the pressure of being there and 1 second off of DC's time. Can I say at this point that I'm division 3 in the WRS and consistantly 1-2 seconds off the top times in any contest I do... In my considered opinion, with all my experience of playing GT over the years, I reckon that a GTP WRS Division 1 Gold driver would have beaten DC on the day. That's not to take anything away from any of the drivers, as the top 6 finalists were all bloody good drivers, but they'd be the first to admit that they are not the cream.

It was a bit disappointing going to the event for me as I thoght I would have a good chance of winning it if no GT Academy finalists made the lucky 24 if I got selected. I entered two minutes before my brother entered and he got picked. The amount of total hours even to this day he has played is probably less than two hours, that includes time on the gamepods :sly:. Legard said to try and swap, no one will know :lol:.

I think I would have been able to beat DC's time as I would have practiced a lot on the different compounds such as Comfort Medium, Soft and Sports Hards that even without sound I would be able to do a low 16 on comfort softs. On the pods with the only practice on the tyre being on there, I did a 1:17.0 and I did the same time when I got back home and improved it by 2 tenths so I don't think there is much difference from me in terms of speed from a gamepod setup and my current desk setup.

I think Jason would have been out of my reach with no at home practice on the tyres and track so well done to him for keeping on it with Legard talking behind him.

Here is a new video:

Last edited:
First I must say I love GTPlanet, The Game and Mercedes. A great collaboration that proves the case for manufacturers being in such a good game/simulation can only serve to find and cultivate future clientele. Are you listening Porsche?

This challenge is unfortunately flawed by the outrageous course cutting alone but further damaged by the mid-event tire change to an impossible selection of comfort tires. Mercedes doesnot sell a SLS AMG version with anything less than a very high spec ultra high performance tire engineered for that car. This ruins the whole events' credibility.

If this was done to save DC's reputation, that is understandable, but tire model still needs tweeking within the game. I hope it is still under review with plans to improve it.

Something to think about.

Robert Phelps
Internationally published motorsports photojournalist.

Something else to think about.. David Coulthard doesn't need anyone to "Save his reputation" The man is a celebrated F1 driver and I assure you his ego is not in peril from video game drivers. No I do not know him, however he's pointed out a few times during various F1 races that there is a serious difference between you, me and ANY F1 driver.

I do agree with you, comfort softs for this challenge is absolutely silly if we're going to drive the car, let us drive the car as it should be, not handicapped.

Last edited:
Hang on Lads !

David Coulthard is a great guy and can certainly be proud of his accomplishments. My Pun was obvious so I thought never to have to explain it here. DC has a thick skin and great sense of humor, so I hope you who failed to understand now have it right.

The British MOT, the TUF and certainly US DOT would not allow such a potent car on public motorways or for that matter on offer for sale without tires that match its abilities. When and if you ever drive such a high performance motorcar you will trully understand the amount of testing the manufacturer carries out so that any "nob" (defined as one who can purchase but has no appropriate driving skill) who can afford one such vehicle does not kill him or herself quite so readily in these litigious times we find ourselves in. In the USA the MB SLS AMG is fitted with a Y 98 Front and 101 Y rear speed rating. This is certified for 186+ miles per hour. Any Comfort tire would do well to receive a 100 mph rating.

This should re-focus us on the actual point of my comment. The tire model in the game needs more attention. Drive rFactor,iRacing or Netkar and see what is what. There are games and then there are games!

A DC fan

Robert

The British MOT, the TUF and certainly US DOT would not allow such a potent car on public motorways or for that matter on offer for sale without tires that match its abilities. When and if you ever drive such a high performance motorcar you will trully understand the amount of testing the manufacturer carries out so that any "nob" (defined as one who can purchase but has no appropriate driving skill) who can afford one such vehicle does not kill him or herself quite so readily in these litigious times we find ourselves in. In the USA the MB SLS AMG is fitted with a Y 98 Front and 101 Y rear speed rating. This is certified for 186+ miles per hour. Any Comfort tire would do well to receive a 100 mph rating.

That would rather depend on what you think a comfort tyre is. The tyres fitted to my BMW I would describe as "rubber death" and they are speed rated to 155mph.

The only abilities the Department for Transport (the Ministry is long since defunct, with only the roadworthiness tests that bear its name still in evidence) are particularly bothered with as far as tyres are concerned is appropriate tread depth (1.6mm or greater, forming a continuous band over the centre 75% of the tyre) and that the tyre itself is appropriate fitment for the wheel rim.

The Construction and Use regulations define what kind of tyres must be fitted from the factory and the primary concern isn't speed rating but load rating - a tyre must be able to cope with the individual corner weightings at GVW. Generally speaking tyres should have a speed rating in excess of the vehicle's top speed, but given that the nationwide speed limit on public roads - those to which all regulations regarding vehicle use apply - is 70mph it isn't considered an issue.

Latest Posts

Back