GT5 Car Testing(FF Cars on Top Gear Test Track) Suggestions Wanted

GYMKHANA_RYAN43
I'm always seeing questions coming up for things like 'What is the best FF car? ' .

Stormbringer has already compiled a fantastic list of Good and Bad cars that I admit I use quite regularly.

But I'm classifying the cars into drive train layouts etc to answer those regular questions.

The Format

I'm looking for the best stock cars on the game. You can tune pretty much any car on GT5 up to an insane level but for the most realistic experience I still find driving cars as they come in real life to be very fun and rewarding.

So, for each test I have:
-Gone straight to the Dealership and bought a fresh car.
-Without doing anything to the car, except a tire change to the designated tyre choice for the test (No tuning or oil change (Nothing!)) I take it to the chosen test track
- The car then gets one clean rolling lap to post the fastest time possible.

Yes, the time's I will be posting will not be ridiculously fast, and yes you can probably beat them so I'm not interested in the whole "but I can get ____ round in _____"

The only way to keep a test fair is by keeping the driver the same so I really don't care if you've gone quicker.

And since I've given each car just one clean lap of the track there may be some unexpected results throughout e.g. The '05 cooper S lapping faster than the more powerful '11 cooper S.

I'm only testing premium cars to start with. I will test individual Standard Models on request IN THIS THREAD

Test 1 - FF Cars - Top Gear Test Track

- Test one includes all FF Road and Tuner cars (no pure race cars).
- So for example: The Spoon CRZ is allowed, but the CRZ Touring Car is not.
- I chose top gear test track as, not only is it in the spotlight with the new series of Top Gear being on at the moment but it has a good mix of high speed and low speed corners as well as a decent straight (ish) section to allow cars to show their true colours in all areas.
- All cars equipped with Sports Soft tires, to prepare for track use but keeping the characteristics of each car.
- No aids (ABS-1)

Results (Fastest To Slowest, Not numbered to allow for new entries)

- Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231)'03: 1:17:508
- Volkswagen Scirocco R '10: 1:20:515
- Volvo S60 T-5 Sport '03: 1:20:564
- Ford Focus RS '02: 1:20:721
- Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04: 1:21:237
- Acura Integra Type R '01: 1:21:322
- Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '95: 1:21:399
- Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R '97: 1:21:680
- Seat Ibiza Cupra '04: 1:21:837
- Ford Focus ST '06: 1:21:962
- Acura RSX Type-S '04: 1:22:138
- Trial Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00: 1:22:800
- Renaultsport Megane '08: 1:23:058
- Honda Civic Type R '08: 1:23:602
- Volkswagen Golf V GTI '05: 1:23:683
- Volvo C30 R-Design '09: 1:23:732
- Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider GTS '03: 1:24:087
- Peugeot 207 GTI '07: 1:24:970
- Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24v '01: 1:25:464 *** GT5 Car of the Week
- Mini Cooper S '05: 1:25:622
- Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97: 1:26:005
- Mini Cooper S '11: 1:26:013
- Citroen C4 VTS: 1:26:124
- Mini Countryman S '11: 1:26:784
- Mazda Atenza Sport 25z '07: 1:26:807
- Spoon CRZ: 1:27:146
- Volkswagen Golf IV GTI '01: 1:28:317
- Honda CRZ '10: 1:28:846
- Suzuki Swift Sport '05: 1:29:224
- Alfa Romeo 147 Ti Twinspark: 1:29:265
- Suzuki Swift Sport '07: 1:29:841
- Peugeot 307CC Premium '04: 1:31:641
- Toyota Prius G '09: 1:31:762
- Toyota Vitz RS 1.5 '07: 1:32:143
- Nissan March 12 SR '07: 1:32:543
- Nissan Leaf G '11: 1:33:711
- Daihatsu OFC-1: 1:38:478
- Suzuki Servo SR '07: 1:39:197
- Fiat 500 '08: 1:39:942
- Daihatsu Copen: 1:40:437

Google Docs Database Version (More Detail)

Last edited:
For completely stock FF cars, it's really difficult to beat the Prelude Type S. I don't remember the year, but there's only one in the game. Yeah, there are FF cars that are more powerful, and of course there are FF cars that handle better (it's a little on the heavy side), but the whole package works unbelievably well and it's not all that terrible to look at either. The last bit was my opinion, of course, but I've always been fond of the BB6 Prelude's styling.

Are the Cappuccinos FWD? I'm no expert on the car, but I always thought that the power was sent to the back wheels? But, like I said, I'm no expert, so I'm most likely wrong! lol

Are the Cappuccinos FWD? I'm no expert on the car, but I always thought that the power was sent to the back wheels? But, like I said, I'm no expert, so I'm most likely wrong! lol

You've got me doubting myself now. :scared:

I was on autopilot testing those. I saw them and thought, Japanese, small, not much power. Probably FF. Except maybe they aren't

I'll go back and check

EDIT: You were right, both are FR. I'll remove them from the results

Cappuccino's are MR. Fiat 500 '68 is RR.

You're right about the 500F. The Cappuccino's are both FR. My brain must have been playing tricks on me.

If anyone else notices anything wrong just say

For completely stock FF cars, it's really difficult to beat the Prelude Type S. I don't remember the year, but there's only one in the game. Yeah, there are FF cars that are more powerful, and of course there are FF cars that handle better (it's a little on the heavy side), but the whole package works unbelievably well and it's not all that terrible to look at either. The last bit was my opinion, of course, but I've always been fond of the BB6 Prelude's styling.

I'll check if I have this. If not, do you know if it has been in the OCD recently?

Ryan

How about the Ford Focus RS? It's a pretty powerful stock FF car.

Good call. I'll try and find out if I left mine stock :nervous: Fingers crossed

EDIT: Don't know if it was pure luck or something else but it was in my UCD.

Took me a few goes to get it right (may have helped the time in the end), kept drifting off my line and red lapping but got round in a very reasonable time of 1:20:721

Currently 2nd Fastest

Last edited:
If you're doing stock testing, the one with the best combination of hp/weight/handling is going to win. The more powerful/lighter cars will congregate to the top and the best handling of those will win. The less powerful cars have no chance regardless of their handling or weight. But does that mean that the Vitz won't keep up with the Integra R with similar weight/hp or PP?

For a truer test, try equalling the cars by weight and hp or by PP as close as it will allow. You might have to set up a couple of different groups to do this. There is no online racing I'm aware of for just stock FF with no other limitations, but PP limited racing there is lots of and to a lesser extent, weight/hp limited racing.

If you're doing stock testing, the one with the best combination of hp/weight/handling is going to win. The more powerful/lighter cars will congregate to the top and the best handling of those will win. The less powerful cars have no chance regardless of their handling or weight. But does that mean that the Vitz won't keep up with the Integra R with similar weight/hp or PP?

For a truer test, try equalling the cars by weight and hp or by PP as close as it will allow. You might have to set up a couple of different groups to do this. There is no online racing I'm aware of for just stock FF with no other limitations, but PP limited racing there is lots of and to a lesser extent, weight/hp limited racing.

I do get what you mean, and if I had the time to do that with all 35+ cars I would but in some ways I was keen to test how the stock cars matched up against each other with their standard set ups.

This way I can see which of these cars performs best in real life (hopefully). I do understand what you mean about the Vitz but if you start throwing in extra power and adding weight it could completely change all of the cars characteristics, and that's without even going into the upgrades such as suspension or LSD that could affect the result in the background.

I may do a test where I tune a few of these up at a later date so thanks for the suggestion. But for this week I'm going to stick to the stock cars.

3 new results added.

These cars were in the OCD so I thought I'd try and test them while I could.

Trial Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00: 1:22:800
Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24v '01: 1:25:464
Trial Celica SS-II (ZZT231)'03: 1:17:508

Last edited:
It's a tuner. And one of the game's fastest FFs.

There's other FF tuners too - Spoon Civic EK and Integra DC2.

I'll include it in the results then.Thanks!

Are these both rare UCD finds?

2 New Results Added
-Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider GTS '03: 1:24:087
-Acura RSX Type-S '04: 1:22:138

Saw them in the UCD and just couldn't resist a shot

Last edited:
I like suggesting the higher powered cars, so here's a couple more that get somewhat close to the potential of the Trial Celica,

Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06-Has 268 HP, the Spider is the slowest of the 3 Eclipses in the game.
Citroen XSARA Rally Car-Does this count as a race car?
Alfa Romeo GTA '02-250 HP
Dodge SRT4-216 HP
FIAT Coupe Turbo Plus-224 HP
Spoon Civic Type R (EK)-219 HP
Spoon Integra Type R-227 HP

All the HP data comes from mygranturismo.net, but the power would always be pretty close to that.

I like suggesting the higher powered cars, so here's a couple more that get somewhat close to the potential of the Trial Celica,

Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06-Has 268 HP, the Spider is the slowest of the 3 Eclipses in the game.
Citroen XSARA Rally Car-Does this count as a race car?
Alfa Romeo GTA '02-250 HP
Dodge SRT4-216 HP
FIAT Coupe Turbo Plus-224 HP
Spoon Civic Type R (EK)-219 HP
Spoon Integra Type R-227 HP

All the HP data comes from mygranturismo.net, but the power would always be pretty close to that.
If I can find any of those I'll try and give them a shot for sure.

I'd class the Rally car as a race car yes, and isn't it 4WD?

Heard a lot about the SRT4 but can't find it anywhere. May have the GTA though...

I've tested all FF-cars but one on the Top Gear track.

1) The Trial Celica SS-II should be the fastest. (this is the one I haven't tested yet)
Now tested: 1:14 with SS

2) Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00 is definitely second fastest. (1:16 with SS)

3) VW Scirocco R '10 comes third. (1:17 with SS)

4)-...: There's a bunch I was able to do 1:18's with:

Ford Focus RS '02
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06
Alfa Romeo 147 GTA '02
Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V '04
Dodge SRT 4 '03
Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '03
Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
Spoon Integra Type R (DC2) '99

This is ignoring the Race Modded-Integra and Civic.

Last edited:
I don't see any benefit in this list as it is. I suspect those with more power and less weight (thus higher PP) will be at the top. What I'd like to see are the exceptions. The ones that perform better than their PP would indicate. Could you list the HP, weight, torque, and PP for the cars, perhaps put it all into a Google doc?

I've got a SRT4 I can put on share if you want. And the Xsara Rally Car is the only FF Rally Car I know of in the game. http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=146

Wow, I didn't know that! I still think It would be classed a race car but I am surprised by that.

I've tested all FF-cars but one on the Top Gear track.

1) The Trial Celica SS-II should be the fastest. (this is the one I haven't tested yet)

2) Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00 is definitely second fastest. (1:16 with SS)

3) VW Scirocco R '10 comes third. (1:17 with SS)

4)-...: There's a bunch I was able to do 1:18's with:

Ford Focus RS '02
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06
Alfa Romeo 147 GTA '02
Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V '04
Dodge SRT 4 '03
Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04
Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '03
Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
Spoon Integra Type R (DC2) '99

This is ignoring the Race Modded-Integra and Civic.

As I say, I'm going out, with no mods, and doing just one lap in each car. Giving a picture of how easy each car is to drive as well as the general pace.

Sure, if I practised and pushed each car a lot more then maybe I could hit a much faster time but I don't have the time to do that with each and every FF car so it wouldn't be a fair test.

I don't see any benefit in this list as it is. I suspect those with more power and less weight (thus higher PP) will be at the top. What I'd like to see are the exceptions. The ones that perform better than their PP would indicate. Could you list the HP, weight, torque, and PP for the cars, perhaps put it all into a Google doc?

I understand what you mean. Obviously the lighter more powerful cars are going to come out on top.

But I made this more as an answer to the threads that are repeated on here every week. Like fastest FF car, fastest car under 400 pp or whatever.

I might be able to find the statistics for every car but I can't guarantee anything tonight.

I'm sorry if you think It's a pointless list but I know it's helped me with finding out what cars I like to drive and it's helped me to discover a few cars that are quite fast and fun that in any other situation I would have been unlikely to choose.

I'm planning on doing a different test as regularly as I can so if anyone has a suggestion for the parameters for my next test that would be highly welcomed.

Ryan

Not pointless, just pointless as is. With the performance data (and the stock tire compound), this list will be invaluable.

It's a comparison between FF cars. I always run my cars on RS tires so it will be helpful to me. And I'm sure there are lots of people who do too. It's comments like these that drove me away from my reviews thread. Why not let people do it their way and you do it your way! It's a game, it can be played differently.

It's a comparison between FF cars. I always run my cars on RS tires so it will be helpful to me. And I'm sure there are lots of people who do too. It's comments like these that drove me away from my reviews thread. Why not let people do it their way and you do it your way! It's a game, it can be played differently.

Uhm... wow... not sure where to start.

1) Thank you very much for appreciating me offering constructive criticism. </sarcasm>

2) "It's a comparison between FF cars." Yes... it is a comparison between apples and oranges. I don't care that they are both fruit (FF cars), the comparison has no common reference, thus it is meaningless.

3) "I always run my cars on RS tires" I'm sorry, it took me a couple minutes to stop laughing. Seriously? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but... are you trolling?

As an aside, to the OP on the business of tires... if the suspension is set up for comfort tires, it may not behave as well with sports tires.

4) "comments like these that drove me away from my reviews thread". Sorry, but if you put work out for the public, it is only fair for the public to offer criticism. The OP is putting some work into this, and it has a measured value. I think adding a little bit more effort will dramatically increase the return on investment. Perhaps the comments in your thread were people trying to get you to do better, as well.

5) "Why not let people do it their way and you do it your way". He did put this out for the public. Again, collaboration makes a better product.

There is no online racing I'm aware of for just stock FF with no other limitations

But you could theoretically set up a race with the only restrictions being drivetrain, right?

What I'd like to see are the exceptions. The ones that perform better than their PP would indicate. Could you list the HP, weight, torque, and PP for the cars

This brings to mind the way I go about comparing cars before I ever get into them.
Mostly because I like setting up races, but I'm not terribly a fast driver, nor the most deft with all types of cars, so I trust math numbers a lot more than my driving as a test!

My method involves going to that mygranturismo web site, where you can find all the cars and their stock hp, weight, torque, and power/weight ratios.
Unfortunately that web site is lacking in the # of the cc of the engine, which is helpful to insert into the equation... But that you can find when you look at the car in the garage.

So what I do is this... I look at these, find cars that are the same drivetrain, the same torque, ballpark the same hp/weight ratio & HP... check the cc of the engine.... If I find ones that are similar, then I know I can start the math.
I sort of assign more weight to certain things... like the hp/kg ratio & especially the torque. But also something like the PP the car is at, at those numbers. (Particularly if you're looking to set a PP limit.) And of course year of manufacture is also something that should be factored in to a certain extent.

It's kind of complicated to explain - I'm not really good at explaining.
But I've come up with a way to do it all by math.

But of course in the end, I'm usually just looking at a "theme" or "class" (like "kei cars" or "1960s", etc.... and then narrowing that down... And then I can just find out which cars on my "kind of the same" list, can be just sorted out of the bunch by either being likely to be ringers, or likely to be duds, if pitted against the other cars on the list.

I might come up with 2-3 cars that are likely to be compatible...
And within that, there's usually one that handles better... but the other might actually perform better with the right driver.

And also one might be better on one type of track, the other be the better choice for another track. (ie: a flat track, a hilly track, an off-cambered turn track, etc)
It might have to do just with the slight difference of torque, or handling.

Anyway, the thread asked for "suggestions".
But this is not so much a suggestion, as "input".

I've just found that comparing cars is not always as straight-forward as people would like it to be.
It involves a lot of math.
But most importantly, to make any sort of list at all, you have to have a goal first. Best FF cars for what?
Endurance? Sprint races? Tire wear OFF? Etc.

But you could theoretically set up a race with the only restrictions being drivetrain, right?

This brings to mind the way I go about comparing cars before I ever get into them.
Mostly because I like setting up races, but I'm not terribly a fast driver, nor the most deft with all types of cars, so I trust math numbers a lot more than my driving as a test!

My method involves going to that mygranturismo web site, where you can find all the cars and their stock hp, weight, torque, and power/weight ratios.
Unfortunately that web site is lacking in the # of the cc of the engine, which is helpful to insert into the equation... But that you can find when you look at the car in the garage.

So what I do is this... I look at these, find cars that are the same drivetrain, the same torque, ballpark the same hp/weight ratio & HP... check the cc of the engine.... If I find ones that are similar, then I know I can start the math.
I sort of assign more weight to certain things... like the hp/kg ratio & especially the torque. But also something like the PP the car is at, at those numbers. (Particularly if you're looking to set a PP limit.) And of course year of manufacture is also something that should be factored in to a certain extent.

It's kind of complicated to explain - I'm not really good at explaining.
But I've come up with a way to do it all by math.

But of course in the end, I'm usually just looking at a "theme" or "class" (like "kei cars" or "1960s", etc.... and then narrowing that down... And then I can just find out which cars on my "kind of the same" list, can be just sorted out of the bunch by either being likely to be ringers, or likely to be duds, if pitted against the other cars on the list.

I might come up with 2-3 cars that are likely to be compatible...
And within that, there's usually one that handles better... but the other might actually perform better with the right driver.

And also one might be better on one type of track, the other be the better choice for another track. (ie: a flat track, a hilly track, an off-cambered turn track, etc)
It might have to do just with the slight difference of torque, or handling.

Anyway, the thread asked for "suggestions".
But this is not so much a suggestion, as "input".

I've just found that comparing cars is not always as straight-forward as people would like it to be.
It involves a lot of math.
But most importantly, to make any sort of list at all, you have to have a goal first. Best FF cars for what?
Endurance? Sprint races? Tire wear OFF? Etc.

Assign your math equation to the cars he is testing for the Top Gear track and tell us what order they should be, fastest to slowest Top10 and I'll lap them as fast as possible, then we can see if this work?

Last edited:
Assign your math equation to the cars he is testing for the Top Gear track and tell us what order they should be, fastest to slowest Top10 and I'll lap them as fast as possible, then we can see if this works!

:lol: That's an exciting idea... Except for the part where I spend way too much time making my own lists already. :lol: :boggled: :crazy:

My plan is, in future tests to do the tests based on a PP, horsepower or engine size or overall weight limit. And do cars only that people on here are suggesting. Obviously if I went to test every FR car in the premium dealership I would be there for days and hopefully the ideas stated above would be more to your taste.

I'm going to try and sort out the google docs spreadsheet later but it may not be 100% true to the state of the cars as I tested as I tested them straight out of the garage wth no oil change or anything so their power may differ from that on the MyGT site

Ryan

That is freaking brilliant. And look, right away I see that the RSX, the Acura DC5, is almost a second slower than her Honda badged sister, but is 23 PP less! And she is faster than and has less PP than the next five cars, one of which is the EK.

I've got a couple DC5s tuned up to 450 in my garage for the 450 FF or hot hatch nights (even though I don't think the Integra is a hot hatch, they allow it). There have always been questions as to which Honda DC5 was faster. Now I wonder if the Acura DC5 is actually the fastest. I'll have to get one, build it out to 450, and test it out.

I like the C30, but I see it is nearly two seconds slower than the Focus ST at the same PP. That makes me sad. I suspect a better front diff would cut that down some, though.

For some reason, though, I thought the C30 was all-wheel drive. Maybe that is just some of the tuner versions not available in the game.

That is freaking brilliant. And look, right away I see that the RSX, the Acura DC5, is almost a second slower than her Honda badged sister, but is 23 PP less! And she is faster than and has less PP than the next five cars, one of which is the EK.

I've got a couple DC5s tuned up to 450 in my garage for the 450 FF or hot hatch nights (even though I don't think the Integra is a hot hatch, they allow it). There have always been questions as to which Honda DC5 was faster. Now I wonder if the Acura DC5 is actually the fastest. I'll have to get one, build it out to 450, and test it out.

I like the C30, but I see it is nearly two seconds slower than the Focus ST at the same PP. That makes me sad. I suspect a better front diff would cut that down some, though.

For some reason, though, I thought the C30 was all-wheel drive. Maybe that is just some of the tuner versions not available in the game.

Glad you like it!

The in game C30 is defiantly an FF. You're probably thinking of the Polestar C30 (I think it's a 4wd) :drool:

Also, on a slightly less interesting point, look how the Prius G (yes I hate it too) outperforms everything in and quite a few cars well above its PP range, would not have expected that.

Keep the suggestions coming for cars though. Always interested

On another note, I tested the Acura as one of the last cars so I'd had a lot of practice round the track by then but even so it was fast.

And also, there is an Acura Integra Type R (DC4?) on the game as well, I'll try and get a hold of one

Back