*new* fortnight 2 driving skill competition - GT-R @ nordschielfle

• Thread starter LMP787B
  • 45 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
LD_HEADSHOT
FDSCbanner.jpg

Hi guys, welcome to the second fortnight of the driving skill competition. This is a fortnightly competition where driving skill is everything. Each week a stock car and track is chosen the car CANNOT be tuned or modified in anyway as to give an advantage over others.

This week is the Nissan GT-R at the infamous nordschiefle at nurburgring and tyre choice is SPORTS HARD. All aids are to be turned off except ABS on 1. Transmission choice is down to you.

CAR MUST BE ACCESSED VIA ARCADE AND NOT YOUR OWN CAR.

Brake balance can only be adjusted if you are driving with ABS off, if you are using ABS on 1 you must keep the default brake balance.

This is an offline competition and you can do anytime, just choose the car through arcade mode then select the track. Everybody Is free to enter.

Please send in your best lap time stating whether you used ds3 or wheel (lap must not have gone red).

Its time to show your skill and race! Good luck everyone thanks for the support! Any questions just PM me and i'll get back to you ASAP! Enjoy!

When sending your times in please could you use the following format:

Driver: GTP name/PSN name
Time:
Transmission: Auto/Manual (if manual state whether clutch used)
Controller: DS3/wheel
ABS:
Brake Balance: Front/Rear (only applicable if ABS is off)

Also when sending in a new time (your updated time), please state it in a new post rather than editing a previous post.

The leaderboard can be viewed by clicking the link below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtZwhhnVjEYTdFBVSGdGVzRaOGhoNEh3MWtKeE04NlE

After the huge success of the constant running WDSC (weekly driving skill competition) it would be great to get as many people racing this fortnight. So get out on the ring and have fun!

This FDSC runs alongside the WDSC, any questions feel free to PM and I will respond ASAP!

Ok, time for a new "old" challenge. I´ll start posting my time from when I managed this throphy in february:

Driver: no1pal
Time: 7:26.968
transmission: MT
Controller: DFGT
ABS: 1

Yeay, I´m on the top of the list at the moment :D
Probably not for long...
Good luck guys

no1pal
Ok, time for a new "old" challenge. I´ll start posting my time from when I managed this throphy in february:

Driver: no1pal
Time: 7:26.968
Controller: DFGT

Yeay, I´m on the top of the list at the moment :D
Probably not for long...
Good luck guys

Nice! I think you're winning!!! Anyway good time, we'll have to see how that stacks up against others 👍

These FDSC and WDSC threads keep getting moved to 'spot races and time trials' so I keep moving then back otherwise less people will be able to view and find the thread.

Driver: Emptyone77
Time: 7:24.940
Controller: DS3
Transmission: AT
This is from way back in March last year, when I originally did the challenge, will have more attempts though.

Last edited:
Another previous time from the trophy. I had a go at it a little while after launch and could do no better than 7:31-ish, eventually came back to it in February and set this on my second lap, I stopped right there so hopefully there's a big improvement to be made :)

Driver: mizx / zu3-
Time: 7:26.923
Transmission: MT

Nice to see someone else local to me Emptyone (along with NJ72), we could have our own west country sub-contest :)

mizx
Another previous time from the trophy. I had a go at it a little while after launch and could do no better than 7:31-ish, eventually came back to it in February and set this on my second lap, I stopped right there so hopefully there's a big improvement to be made :)

Driver: mizx / zu3-
Time: 7:26.923

Nice to see someone else local to me Emptyone (along with NJ72), we could have our own west country sub-contest :)

Wow great time :) where abouts are you in the UK, i'm reasonably near NJ72... Anyway great laps everyone, keep it up 👍

Driver: Mac K
Time: 7:22.305
Controller: Logitech G27
Transmission: Manual
ABS 1

I can get a few more seconds out of it, but it's frustrating me so that'll do for the time being! Nice times so far everyone :) Oh and why is this in the online competitions sub forum?

There are some nice times coming in. :)
Had few laps just now. Just one that was without any big mistakes, but a lot of small ones :irked: I came in at 7:29.
It´s a grippy handling, but if it get pushed over the limits, I find it very hard to correct it. I´m always ending up spinning out or atleast losing bucketloads of seconds.

If I'm doing my math right, everyone who has posted a time so far, has achieved the trophy.

Now if only I could keep it together for a full lap, I could see how far off the 7:29.03 I actually am.

If I'm doing my math right, everyone who has posted a time so far, has achieved the trophy.

Now if only I could keep it together for a full lap, I could see how far off the 7:29.03 I actually am.

If you manage to get a cleanish lap without big mistakes, you should be able to get the throphy time. Maybe try to go 90% instead of flat out.
Keep on trying :)

Good laps everyone, i'll hopefully be putting in a decent amount of laps on this until I am satisfied with my lap.

Timminz

My personal best was a 7:28.xxx a few months ago when I first got bit by the Ring bug(also when I got the trophy). The time I posted here is my new personal best for the time being.

Congrats mac K, thats a good improvement :) i seen your improvement overtime on the Nurburgring leaderboard as well. 👍

I did a really quick session saturday, nothing crazy, i hope to find time for this before it end.

I finally managed to get a couple white times. The first one (7:40.934) included a massive off after the back straight, but then I managed to get the trophy!

Diver: Timminz / calvin-ball
Time: 7:28.952
DFGT manual

Timminz
I finally managed to get a couple white times. The first one (7:40.934) included a massive off after the back straight, but then I managed to get the trophy!

Diver: Timminz / calvin-ball
Time: 7:28.952
DFGT manual

Nice! What is this about a trophy, am I missing something? Good time though, hopefully i'll have a chance to give this a decent run this week. 👍 currently loving the WDSC combo that mac k suggested.

LMP787B
Nice! What is this about a trophy, am I missing something? Good time though, hopefully i'll have a chance to give this a decent run this week. 👍 currently loving the WDSC combo that mac k suggested.

It's one of the hidden(?) trophies in the game, GTR round the ring in Arcade. I think it's the official time 7:29 something you have to beat. There are threads about the trophies but Im using the app so a bit hard to search and link.

Edit - just googled this

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Gran-Turismo-5-Trophy-Guide

Woodski_427
It's one of the hidden(?) trophies in the game, GTR round the ring in Arcade. I think it's the official time 7:29 something you have to beat. There are threads about the trophies but Im using the app so a bit hard to search and link.

Edit - just googled this

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=Gran-Turismo-5-Trophy-Guide

Brilliant thanks! Now I see! Under 7:29 for the trophy with the gtr in arcade mode with SH tyres or worse. Thanks.

Driver: Emptyone77
Time: 7:23.971
Transmission: AT
ABS:1
Eked out a little more time, was hard enough beating that, but know there's still time left as always at the 'Ring, I will have you Mac soon enough ;)

mizx

Now that is a nice little idea, keep tally between the weeks, were fairly close on both events so far, nice to see another local(ish) person around :)

It seems the GT-R still hates me. I tried one whole session of an hour or two and failed to even complete one lap without breaking the car. It probably took half of that to get past Adenauer-Forst. I wasn't even trying to go fast. This second time I had the advantage of no hockey being on, but mostly was just gradually figuring out the car and brakes.

I still only managed one clean lap without destroying it. Two were very close but I blew it in the final chicane, but still wound up :27 and :28. It seems to be all or nothing for me, the car handles very well if kept within its limits, but one tiny mistake and I can almost never recover like I expect to in most any other car.

Anyway:
Morgoth_666
7:21,933
Wheel
ABS off
Brakes 8-0

I did put two wheels over the inside curb through the flat-out section of Pflantzgarten unintentionally just trying to keep control, but the other two were on-track. I'll probably watch the replay to see if I made any other such mistakes later.

Morgoth_666
It seems the GT-R still hates me. I tried one whole session of an hour or two and failed to even complete one lap without breaking the car. It probably took half of that to get past Adenauer-Forst. I wasn't even trying to go fast. This second time I had the advantage of no hockey being on, but mostly was just gradually figuring out the car and brakes.

I still only managed one clean lap without destroying it. Two were very close but I blew it in the final chicane, but still wound up :27 and :28. It seems to be all or nothing for me, the car handles very well if kept within its limits, but one tiny mistake and I can almost never recover like I expect to in most any other car.

Anyway:
Morgoth_666
7:21,933
Wheel
ABS off
Brakes 8-0

I did put two wheels over the inside curb through the flat-out section of Pflantzgarten unintentionally just trying to keep control, but the other two were on-track. I'll probably watch the replay to see if I made any other such mistakes later.

Wow awesome lap, practice makes perfect! How so you go so quick? Anyway well done,keep it up :)

Wow awesome lap, practice makes perfect! How so you go so quick? Anyway well done,keep it up :)

Most of my other good laps were on pace to be 7:26-30 before I messed up. I wasn't really trying to push any harder on my fast one, I was just trying to stay on the best line and keep the car settled. I somehow just managed to keep steadily pulling away from my ghost by getting most of the corners a little bit cleaner and no noticeable mistakes. I was about 3 seconds ahead of my best by the time I got to where I had crashed.

I'm sure someone fast will come along and be 10 seconds quicker anyway. I'm never the fastest at the ring online. I just tend to finish well by not crashing, ironically enough.

Driver: GTP_Penelope
Time: 7:25.416
Controller: G27

Got a few corners wrong and will have a few more tries but thought I would post this time for now.

Not sure if i'll be able to run this again until next weekend, so might post what i have done for now ( did 3 complete laps), theres definatly more in it, as Frontal system did 7:10 at least with it a while ago.

Driver: Mike_Peperni/mike_gt3
Time: 7:15.807
Controller: wheel G27

Just do not get on with this car. There seems to be no connection with the road or any sense of speed - I m often going faster than I realise and misjudge the braking. Feels dead, total opposite to the TVR from last time.

Also really hard to correct- one twitch and it's over. No clean lap yet! :dunce: will be lucky to beat 8 mins I think.

Just do not get on with this car. There seems to be no connection with the road or any sense of speed - I m often going faster than I realise and misjudge the braking. Feels dead, total opposite to the TVR from last time.

Also really hard to correct- one twitch and it's over. No clean lap yet! :dunce: will be lucky to beat 8 mins I think.

At least I'm not the only one who has a hard time driving this car. It seems nearly universally hailed as the easiest car in the game to drive fast but I just can't keep it under/regain control.

I'd suggest being very careful with it to get a feel for how it reacts. Slow down too early and too much and then you can work on finding how fast it can go in each corner. Then you can start braking later. This car just doesn't seem to respond well to pushing too deep into the corners making it very tough to learn when going even a little too fast. It's almost like learning a whole new game.

I also had to be wary of any elevation changes.

Morgoth_666
I'd suggest being very careful with it to get a feel for how it reacts. Slow down too early and too much and then you can work on finding how fast it can go in each corner. Then you can start braking later. This car just doesn't seem to respond well to pushing too deep into the corners making it very tough to learn when going even a little too fast. It's almost like learning a whole new game.

Yes, you are right a couple of careful runs are in order. To get used to the car i might do a few laps of Trial Mountain and Deep Forest.

Not sure if i'll be able to run this again until next weekend, so might post what i have done for now ( did 3 complete laps), theres definatly more in it, as Frontal system did 7:10 at least with it a while ago.

Driver: Mike_Peperni/mike_gt3
Time: 7:15.807
Controller: wheel G27

Wow, great time Mike_gt3 :bowdown:

At least I'm not the only one who has a hard time driving this car. It seems nearly universally hailed as the easiest car in the game to drive fast but I just can't keep it under/regain control.

I have to agree on that too.
But I find it hard to be careful and take it easy :P I have done a lot of restarts on this one. Don´t have the patience to do a full lap even when I´m doing small mistakes or know that I´m behind my personal best..
Great time too Morgoth666 👍 and good luck Woodski :)

Thank you! :)

The thing to watch is the oversteer on braking and be careful to not downshift in 2nd gear on some slower corners, on most its better to keep it in 3rd gear you will carry more speed and have a smoother exit.

woodski_427 / woodski_427
7:43.750
Wheel (DFP)
Manual
ABS=1

Reasonably happy with this for now. Did a few laps of TM to get used to the car, before driving anything else, then did two laps of the Ring in a more relaxed state than previous attempts!

Early braking is a must I think - this car is very fast but doesn't feel it - and does not turn in so well (classic 4WD trait I suppose). However if I got a reasonable line I found I could use the grip and stomp on the gas quite early. Even managed to turn a couple of mistakes into impressive looking drifts :lol:

Back