• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 115 comments

Tidgney

Premium
United Kingdom
Southport
LZR_Tidgney
Hey Guys,

Similar to last year I've made a full video guide to each corner, and how to approach it to help you improve times any questions or advice you want feel free to give me a shout! It is a long video but I watched it through entirely last night and it's very engrossing. If your after a specific corner, I've put time stamps in the description to help you navigate to that corner.

Enjoy!

Lol :), quite a funny one that :D! Nah in all honesty I don't mind putting up a tutorial video to help people out improve their times :)! It also helps myself when making them to see where I may have gone wrong in a lap by really digging through it!

Thank you so, so much for this Tidgney. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I greatly appreciate your time and effort that you have put into this to help others like me to try and improve our times. Great guide and I will be working from it for the remainder of the Academy. Without sounding to wishy washy, GTPlanet is a much better place with people like you and I feel very fortunate to have you as a friend as well. Thanks again, you make a great instructer as well. You are now my new man crush, lol. jk. Peace my friend.

Thank you so, so much for this Tidgney. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I greatly appreciate your time and effort that you have put into this to help others like me to try and improve our times. Great guide and I will be working from it for the remainder of the Academy. Without sounding to wishy washy, GTPlanet is a much better place with people like you and I feel very fortunate to have you as a friend as well. Thanks again, you make a great instructer as well. You are now my new man crush, lol. jk. Peace my friend.

Honestly it's not a problem if it helps just one person it's worth while, I've always been like that (Without sounding soppy or anything lol :P). Whenever anyone asks for advice I'm always happy to give it, because If I was in the same situation as a few people who have just not found their rhythm on this I'd like a tip or two just to see where I may have been going wrong.

I know even when I host the 'Beat the stig' competition at college using GT5 people ask me how they can improve, and it's a really nice feeling when they instantly improve on their times after listening to your advice on technique as an example :), and that everyone is actually improving. I mean the advice in this video will not only help here but in GT5 and then when people come to race, they can end up being better, and quicker races giving the game an even better appeal :)!

Tidgney, GTPlanet needs more people like you.

Thanks a million. :cheers:

I'll finish watching this later this afternoon .... tee time is closing in.

wavey.gif
Very long video but well worth every second of it. Some one :sly:(??????) should give you premo just for this.Thanks from all GTP'er:gtpflag:.

wavey.gif
Very long video but well worth every second of it. Some one :sly:(??????) should give you premo just for this.Thanks from all GTP'er:gtpflag:.

Cheers everyone I'm glad it's helping it means the time spent on the video was well worth while!!

I did think it was rather long initially but from watching it through I mean personally I got engrossed in it, and suddenly it was finished. I don't think I waffled to much either, just tried to maintain enough information to help out :D. I did realise some people may find it a tad to long which is why I put the time stamps in the description so people could skip to the parts they are finding the trickiest to :).

The last 2 corners are tricky on a pad, but this should help me a lot, thanks tidgney, my time is a 1:31.720 atm.

Thank's a bunch Tidgney, I'm hoping I can improve my time through the "s" curve as that is where I seem to be able to gain more time.

👍

*EDIT*

Just got done watching, that's some great info to take in.

I did not know about the 3/4 throttle and that will probably help me get into the high 1:31's, now to practice everything just learned.

:D

Last edited:
This is absolutely fantastic!

Thank you for taking the time to do this. :cheers:

This is more than I could have asked for. I'll be looking for the 2.5 seconds I'm trying to cut out, in your tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Kenny

Edit: Just finished watching it ... wow! Great job. I know so little about racing, this was an eye opener.

Last edited:
Thanks! Great info. A few tips I would not of figured out myself by watching other peoples ghosts. Cheers!

Wow cheers guys went out for a meal and came back to a good response. Remember any questions feel free to ask! Remember depending on your lap time of course, just applying a few of these you should improve on times, and soon realise the potential on some corners :D!

Last edited:
Good stuff 👍.

I watched a few of the fast replays earlier and I noticed none of the replays use my approach to corner two which is without using brake but the grass. I don't know fully which way is fastest but I think mine has the potential to be the fastest as you can make the track a bit wider and carry more speed into the corner.

Good stuff 👍.

I watched a few of the fast replays earlier and I noticed none of the replays use my approach to corner two which is without using brake but the grass. I don't know fully which way is fastest but I think mine has the potential to be the fastest as you can make the track a bit wider and carry more speed into the corner.

I think Amo has used something similar, but I did try that but I found the car became quite unstable on the turn in, how are you finding it? Is it unpredictable all the time or just some of the time? Or never :D?

I think Amo has used something similar, but I did try that but I found the car became quite unstable on the turn in, how are you finding it? Is it unpredictable all the time or just some of the time? Or never :D?

Quite predictable, just have to hit the right spot. You don't want to over do it though, traction remains as high as your current method of braking and going into corner if you do it well but you get the advantage of carrying more speed and closer to the cone and staying more to the right if you nail it. I did give it a few attempts earlier to see difference between Ti-tech85 ghost and I closed up on him on that turn when I was behind in 1st corner.

Quite predictable, just have to hit the right spot. You don't want to over do it though, traction remains as high as your current method of braking and going into corner if you do it well but you get the advantage of carrying more speed and closer to the cone and staying more to the right if you nail it. I did give it a few attempts earlier to see difference between Ti-tech85 ghost and I closed up on him on that turn when I was behind in 1st corner.

hmm might give it a bash at some point then see how it goes :)! I can hit 70 constant apex through there and stay on the line in the video, so perhaps a 71/72 may be possible on that front with that line :D!

hmm might give it a bash at some point then see how it goes :)! I can hit 70 constant apex through there and stay on the line in the video, so perhaps a 71/72 may be possible on that front with that line :D!
If you nail it (Not lap breaking if you don't), it is quite a good feeling just missing the cone and carrying loads of speed into the corner but main thing is obviously the high speed chicane. If I can do a lap with that part nailed, then I think I can do a potential time good enough to qualify. Just need to nail that more often to have a chance of setting a good time. I'm too often relying on making a good middle sector or a good last sector to make up time.

If you nail it (Not lap breaking if you don't), it is quite a good feeling just missing the cone and carrying loads of speed into the corner but main thing is obviously the high speed chicane. If I can do a lap with that part nailed, then I think I can do a potential time good enough to qualify. Just need to nail that more often to have a chance of setting a good time. I'm too often relying on making a good middle sector or a good last sector to make up time.

I'm the opposite except the lap I just posted, I can nail the first part more often than not and usually end up not getting enough turn in on the second to last or just overshooting the right after the chicane!! Want to trade places with what we nail each lap :sly:?

After watching the video a couple of times, and practicing a couple of hours, I've cut .6 sec and am running consistantly in the lower 33's, which I wasn't before. Thanks a lot. A 32 lap is just around the corner for me. Before the video my best was 1.33.753, now it's 1.33.192. I know this speed is molasses in wintertime for most of you, but it's blazing saddles for me:)

Edit: Just hit 1.33.077 ... a 32 is gettin' close

Kenny

Last edited:
Good stuff 👍.

taking corner two wide puts you in a bad spot for the next turn, if you coast just past the cone on the inside you can power out of turn three faster carrying more speed through the S and down the straight

I'm the opposite except the lap I just posted, I can nail the first part more often than not and usually end up not getting enough turn in on the second to last or just overshooting the right after the chicane!! Want to trade places with what we nail each lap :sly:?
I think that's the thing with this TT and many others, you do one part right and get other part wrong. Like you mention, the lap you just posted is opposite of your consistent strength. Would like to trade places but I think quite a few of us are trading places amongst ourselves. It is all a mental game, with high levels of skill and some luck involved but you make your own luck and that can be achieved through either high levels of skill or a lot of repitition and still reasonable levels of skill and focus.

It will be interesting to see what time will be required to qualify as I reckon there will be some latecomers which might make UK and Ireland also one of the most competitive regions. Might even need less than a .1XX.

taking corner two wide puts you in a bad spot for the next turn, if you coast just past the cone on the inside you can power out of turn three faster carrying more speed through the S and down the straight
That is the thing, you can take turn two quite tightly while carrying speed which puts you in a good position for turn three with the method I use. I think it has the most potential to be fastest as you can widen the track more and not have to take a narrow line.

Tidgney, what corner do you find you mess up the most? For me it is the last two. I was 1 freaking car length behind Mav (top US time) approaching the final two corners, I messed up both and ended up in the 32 range.

Brilliant video Tidgney, thank you.

At the risk of asking a total noob question, What view mode do you run time trials with and why? Do you race with other cars on the track in that same view mode? Is there an obvious view that all the fastest drivers use? Thanks in advance for your reply? Cheers!

Back