Mercedes Benz Facelift? Erlkönig? On German Autobahn - Update 24/10/13

• Thread starter Monatsende
  • 34 comments
Trinidad and Tobago
F1 chimp land
AnotherStory
Hi there,

does anybody know which Mercedes-Benz facelift this will be?

Driving on the Autobahn around Stuttgart twice every day it happens sometimes that I can see an Erlkönig or a Stealth-like car which seems to be a new facelift of a current model.

The pictured car here isn`t modified too much. Recently I saw another really strange looking car with randomly attached rear lights. But no camera around :(

Two pics for you:

Pictures taken on Friday, 30th of November - driving around 120 to 130 km/h. So please ignore unintended soft focus.

Update 18.01.2013:
Another test mule with different plate.

Update 15.03.2013:

Gotcha! The weird looking rear end of an Erlkönig. Picture of front end is a bit blurry... :P

Update 25.03.2013:
Another test mule with different plate and (looks like) different paint below stealth tapes. It`s a white one.

Update 19.06.2013:
Another test mule with different plate. Still testing... Guess it has final 3rd rear breaking light because it`s completely taped here.

Update 16.08.2013:
What is it? EDIT: Was marked as GLA...

Update 06.09.2013:
Minimum camouflage of new S-class. No Mercedes badge visible. Back lights??? Front grill was hidden as well.

Update 09.10.2013:
Still on the road in heavy disguise. Probably the new C-class

Update 21.10.2013:
Another test mule...

Update 24.10.2013:
Test mules convoy...

Last edited:
Looks like an S-Class, a new version of which is due fairly soon. Great find there!

It definitely looks like the next S-Class. It's likely to be the next generation model rather than a facelift.

A Black Edition S-Class would be bonkers; we're talking $250,000+ starting w/ probably over 700Hp & 800lb-ft of torque.

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love to see what AMG would do with the S-Class if they were given a blank check & it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did it one day. But, I don't think there's a market for that kind of car or really a point to it. The S-Class is luxury first, performance second. A Black Edition would switch that around & a car of that size isn't something you'd probably want to be throwing around. It's still a land yacht of this era.

I'd go with the majority that it's the next-gen.

I think that he was sarcastically referring to the black camouflage.

I would love an ultimate S-Class, but I'm not sure Black Series is the way to go. I'd prefer a bespoke luxury saloon with the best technology, a gorgeous interior, unbelievable straight line performance, a smooth ride, and decent handling.

A Black Edition S-Class would be bonkers; we're talking $250,000+ starting w/ probably over 700Hp & 800lb-ft of torque.

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love to see what AMG would do with the S-Class if they were given a blank check & it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did it one day. But, I don't think there's a market for that kind of car or really a point to it. The S-Class is luxury first, performance second. A Black Edition would switch that around & a car of that size isn't something you'd probably want to be throwing around. It's still a land yacht of this era.

I'd go with the majority that it's the next-gen.

If a person does want an extreme Benzie, and does have the cash, they can always gander on over to Brabus I suppose.

And again on the A8...

Another MB (S-Class?) with a different plate number.
Are there any changes compared to the pics in the OP?

I don't think it's changed at all. It's just another test prototype of the same next-gen S-Class.

2014-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-rear-three-quarter-1024x640.jpg

Rear lights and exhaust seems to match the S-class, but that's about it. The trunk looks more curved here, and there's no stoplight in it.

Car makers normally send out multiple test mules when testing new prototypes. Most will likely be testing either different engines, technology settings etc.

The most recent shot looks like the S class, again. This thread is so cool, thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Car makers normally send out multiple test mules when testing new prototypes. Most will likely be testing either different engines, technology settings etc.

Very likely! 👍

Test driver did some acceleration manoeuvres and slight brake test on the Autobahn. Nothing dangerous though. Just saw him looking at his technique mounted on the passenger seat - PC stuff. And it looked like that he was just reeling off a program. He didn`t recognize me paparazzing him. :lol:

The most recent shot looks like the S class, again. This thread is so cool, thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Yeah, they are out there, them prototypes. I`m happy to share these pictures. Didn`t see so many protos within a short period before. All of the S-Class mules have plates from Freiburg which is quite far away from Stuttgart. :confused:

Last edited:
They might have been the only plates available (if that's possible at all). To me, the front looks pretty similar to a car I saw at the Benz museum (in Stuttgart too :D), in 2011... I believe it was a "SLK-Klasse". I'm not saying that this is that model, but to me, it looks similar.

They might have been the only plates available (if that's possible at all). To me, the front looks pretty similar to a car I saw at the Benz museum (in Stuttgart too :D), in 2011... I believe it was a "SLK-Klasse". I'm not saying that this is that model, but to me, it looks similar.

Ähm, the only plates available? --- No. ---
More likely there is an engineering office (MB or working for MB)?

Disguise will gradually come off as the new S-Class enters final testing. It was already revealed in full sometime last month.

From today:

I have no idea. Saw it coming from behind, weird front end as well, but impossible to take a picture because I was driving myself. :D

What Mercedes is this? (I guess it is one because it also has a FR plate like most of "my" other Erlkönige...

EDIT: Could it be the GLA? (The baby SUV from MB?)

Last edited:
GLA which will enter the market in 2014. I guess that`s it.

The driver was kinda pissed because he recognized me taking pictures. He just gave metal to the pedal and was off in a second... :lol:

When he was passing by...

Last edited:
Minimum camouflage of new S-class. No Mercedes badge visible. Back lights??? Front grill was hidden as well.

Back