SimBin Studios Fan thread & discussion

ITCC_Andrew

(Banned)
Canada
Kitchener
After just playing Race '07, I'm sold on Simbin's awesomeness.

Seriously, I can get a really good game on Steam for $2.99? And, I can get 3 add-ons for $13? There just isn't any other PC game worth playing that costs so little money.

And, the AI is millions of times more advanced than GT5's AI. Controlling the AI's speed as a percentage (yes, 100 points of variability) is going to lead to close, fun racing.

Race '07 is my current SimBin Studios game. I find that I'm a lot faster than the A.I. at 80%, but a few tenths off of their pace at 95%. Time to go to 90%, I guess.

But, I've still got questions;

are there any other games out there that can rival a SimBin Studios game for quality/price?
Like, is there a touring car game out there that'd even worth considering?

Well there's rFactor which is basis for Race 07, it costs about the same as Race 07 plus GTR Evo and a couple of smaller add-one but you get unlimited free mods. You get a lot of mods for Simbin stuff but rFactor is really the modding standard of the genre so there's quite a lot more, but obviously the quality varies from between better than Simbin to worse than Simbin.

But yeah, I was shocked when I saw Race 07 for £4. I knew nothing about it at the time but it looked like a decent sim and indeed was, add in the converted rFactor AE86 Club mod, GTR Evo and the Retro DLC hillclimb course and I was over the moon... Until I got rFactor. But I still go back for the hillclimb.

I bought the simbin mega bundle off steam about 2 weeks ago. Haven't got much time into it but so far have enjoyed the little I've played. I'm just waiting for rfactor to drop in price a bit. Fairly old game and its still $30. I know its an awesome game but hoping I can get it cheaper sometime.

Got the Simbin mega pack myself yesterday. Excellent pack, just installing everything now. They are the best developer of racing games, can't wait for RaceRoom and GTR3.

Hello all. Added the Simbin stuff just before christmas as I finally replaced my clapped out old laptop which could barely run anything. Haven't had much time to get into the Simbin stuff yet, keep getting distracted by rFactor.

However, I note there seems to be a hotspot of Simbin fans in the Reading area. If you find the neighbours light is on late tonight, and you can hear someone racing a mod it might be me MildAshers :lol:

But, everytime I see rFactor, I see glitches, problems, bugs, and I generally dislike the physics.

In fact, yesterday, after playing the rFactor demo, I can say that the game makes cars turn when I let go of the throttle, steering wheel and the brakes... And, that's just weird. Why does a car turn itself? When does a car turn itself? Why was my force feedback aimed at a wall?

So, I've never had a pleasant experience with rFactor.

Anyways, I have another question, for those who have been playing Race '0z for a while. Does it work with Bob's Track Builder? I fancy myself a bit of a track designer. :)

Hello all. Added the Simbin stuff just before christmas as I finally replaced my clapped out old laptop which could barely run anything. Haven't had much time to get into the Simbin stuff yet, keep getting distracted by rFactor.

However, I note there seems to be a hotspot of Simbin fans in the Reading area. If you find the neighbours light is on late tonight, and you can hear someone racing a mod it might be me MildAshers :lol:

Hehe, Reading the racing hotspot. :cheers:

But, everytime I see rFactor, I see glitches, problems, bugs, and I generally dislike the physics.

In fact, yesterday, after playing the rFactor demo, I can say that the game makes cars turn when I let go of the throttle, steering wheel and the brakes... And, that's just weird. Why does a car turn itself? When does a car turn itself? Why was my force feedback aimed at a wall?

So, I've never had a pleasant experience with rFactor.

Anyways, I have another question, for those who have been playing Race '0z for a while. Does it work with Bob's Track Builder? I fancy myself a bit of a track designer. :)

Are you sure you had the FFB set right? If you run the demo without giving it admin privileges it won't save the settings so you might have had inverted FFB which pushes the wheel away from the centre instead of towards it.

You might like to speak to GT Ace, he's making an rFactor hillclimb course and I'm fairly sure the process is very similar given how often stuff is ported and they're the same engine and stuff.

You might like to speak to GT Ace, he's making an rFactor hillclimb course and I'm fairly sure the process is very similar given how often stuff is ported and they're the same engine and stuff.

Good thinking batman. Incidentally I have spotted a batmobile mod out there as WIP on YT :sly:

GT Ace could be in as good a place to help as anyone.

Off topic, but am looking forward to seeing the final version of GT Ace's epic track...

Haven't spent long enough on the Simbin games yet to compare them with rF but there probably would be differences, every game is different after all.

Anything to fill the long wait till GT6 will be fine with me!

Yup. Paypal + Simbin = bad ideas.

I'm spending a bit, but, it's so much fun! I'm also downloading a lot from NoGripRacing. Thanks for the tips guys!

I definitely want to have a few laps on Mosport, Detroit Belle Isle, Adelaide, Gold Coast/Surfer's Paradise etc., just to ensure that every day has a new track.

I still need to learn all of the Swedish/Danish tracks. I'm so lost on those tracks... :lol:

Yes, Bobs Track Builder can make tracks for Race 07, GTR Evolution, GTR2 and GTL if you buy Bobs Track Builder Evo. If you were to have say, rFactor, or Richard Burns Rally, BTB pro would be your best way to go. I've only ran the 15 day trial for Evo, but I worked hard and made an entire track scenery and all. If you know how to use it you can get some good results, however the more complex systems can do better.

I would really like to see Simbin do a console game! It probably will not happen, but one can wish.

Race Pro. :lol: They already made a console game. It was awesome. Before Race Pro I had never heard of SimBin. Now, I'm definitely one of their biggest fans. :lol:

Yes, Bobs Track Builder can make tracks for Race 07, GTR Evolution, GTR2 and GTL if you buy Bobs Track Builder Evo. If you were to have say, rFactor, or Richard Burns Rally, BTB pro would be your best way to go. I've only ran the 15 day trial for Evo, but I worked hard and made an entire track scenery and all. If you know how to use it you can get some good results, however the more complex systems can do better.

Bob's Track Builder Evo = done. :) I can't wait to start. I picture something with a lot of elevation change in my head. Something like Spa meets Mid-Ohio meets Magny-Cours. (lots of chicanes, elevation changes, and dramatic apexes, with flat-out corners thrown in to test bravery.)

What I want to know is what happened with GTR3?

Last time I checked the teaser site was still up.

I think they've just decided to crack down and get to work rather than show little bits and bobs of what may be in the game. Or they're having a big party from the sales from their last game, but since this is Simbin and not the slow working Polyphony Digital, :P they're probably working on it.

Since there are no updates from quite a long time, i have to say that i'm not very confident for GTR3... GTR2 was mainly developed by Blimey, and now those people work on pCARS for Slightly Mad Studios, whose manager happens to be Ian Bell, co founder of Simbin. Sad to say, but i don't know if Simbin has actually the resources to develop a full new game :(

I bought the Simbin pack on Steam, but I'm having trouble installing mods. :ouch:

DK
I bought the Simbin pack on Steam, but I'm having trouble installing mods. :ouch:

How are you having trouble?

When it comes to installing the official addons that are in the pack like the Raceroom addon, or the STCC, you have to install to: Program files (x86)Steam/Steamapps/Username/Race07.

For Race 07, or any expansion related to it, for cars, you unpack the RAR or ZIP, should have loads of folders, and reach the one with the car name, or series name that the car is from, for example Nissan 350Z. Now you need to place that into Program files (x86)Steam/Steamapps/Username/Race07/Gamedata/teams. Some of these folders won't exist yet, and you need to make them first. The path will now look like this: Steam/Steamapps/Username/Race07/Gamedata/teams/Nissan 350Z.

Then make a sounds folder in Gamedata and the path will look like Race07/Gamedata/Sounds. Place your sounds in there. A Talent folder in Gamedata too, so it's Race07/Gamedata/Talent. Tada! You've added a new mod.

For tracks it's almost the same thing, but quicker. Just make a Locations folder in Gamedata (Race07/Gamedata/Locations) and place the new track in there as a folder.

Car skins are a different story, you add them to My documents/Simbin/Race07(or which ever game you've installed)/ Custom Skins.

If you're meaning for GTR, GTR2 or GT Legends, they have an extremely similar process. Just go Steam/Steamapps/common/GTR2/Gamedata. And load the files of your mod into their respective folders, which are either Location, Sounds, Talent or Teams.

Hope that helped.

SimBim is currently working on RaceRoom Racing Experience.
Some say, it may also be the new GTR 3, how knows :D

Anyways, I was accepted into the Closed Beta and I'm totally excited for this. You can download a F2P Version of it on Steam! :)

Race Pro was a great, if a little flawed game but unfortunately since it sold about 36 copies there is no chance of them ever making another console game anytime soon.

What's the best site to get Mods for Race 07 from? I'd like to get a good version of the Nordshleife, anyone has any suggestions?

They want to do anything but that it seems. Raceroom experience will probably be out before.

That just made me think, maybe Raceroom Experience will be a sort of testing ground where they will test new features and maybe new physics, and the good things will be incorporated to GTR3.

Nordschliefe is in GTR Evo, no need for a mod.

👍

Jav
What's the best site to get Mods for Race 07 from? I'd like to get a good version of the Nordshleife, anyone has any suggestions?

GTR-Evo is cheap off of Steam I'm pretty sure. Well it is compared the hard copy I saw recently, but I'm not sure if buying a version off of Steam will work with a non Steam copy or Race 07. I don't know which version of Race 07 you have, an offline or an online, or Steam... :confused: I've confused myself as I've only gotten into Race 07 recently, and I've been enjoying it's physics which are in my opinion better than previous Simbin games.

Also with GTR-Evo you get legit GT cars like the Aston Martin DBR9, Corvette C6R, Gumpert Apollo, and Spyker C8 Spyder among others. :drool:

Back