Engine:552 HP 4.8 Liter V10
Transmission:6-speed Paddle-Shift Gearbox
Layout:Front engine-Rear drive
0-60: 3.6 seconds
Top Speed: 203 mph
Cost: $375,000+ (US)
Wikipedia

Last edited:
Let's put the Cool Wall back in commision.

It is a supercar, but it's a Lexus. It's nice, looks good, but while the engine can draw emotion, the car really doesn't.

It's only cool to me.

Sub-Zero. For all the techno-nonsense and the price and the being a Lexus, it looks fast, it goes fast and it sounds fast.

I love all the geeky attention to detail anyway.

Uncool. It's a great car and the technology is impressive, but then again the technology in my mobile phone is impressive too. I also think it's rather expensive for what it is when you can get a Ferrari, that has just as much impressive technology and luxury feel to it, for less. The Lexus badge doesn't really help it either.

Overwrought styling, "Formula One Inspired" V10 (an instant uncool, wherever it happens... yes... I'm including the M5 in that assessment), ridiculously expensive construction techniques (just for the sake of being ridiculously expensive), yet it's supposed to be an aural and kinesthetic joy to drive.

A joy for that tiny handful of people who can actually afford these Tourbillions on wheels.

The appeal to the senses save it from being seriously uncool. So... Meh.

I'm not sure whether to pick "Cool" or "Sub-Zero"...

It took more or less a decade to develop, unfortunately resulting in performance figures that seemed a little bit underwhelming. Yes, there are lots of very technical features in this car, and there's the aurally pleasing sound, but still, it seemed like it could have been much better.

Yet I think this is a work worthy of celebration. Putting numbers aside, there have been many who testified its ability to provide thrilling experiences - how unleashing its full strength is something sharply immense and visceral to the senses. It feels that it doesn't have to "beat" other front-engined supercars at the end of the day. It simply speaks and proves to many car enthusiasts with such a sudden, blatant way, that the company who makes it still have that other kind of passionate side - the approach of perceiving cars not merely as a means of transportation, but also as a work of art, and a form of joy or excitement, even though they were not a company who focused on this idea through their entire years of operation. It proves what Toyota can and still want to do. And I don't think that it's just a huge marketing exercise merely to grab people's hearts either - don't forget the money lost through selling these cars, and if you ignore that fact you still are aware about the details on what this car delivers. Getting reminded about the LFA helps me to eliminate the impression of Toyota's relatively bland image in my mind.

The looks...are not really my taste. It's striking, but not "pretty". Tremendous and dramatic but not sensually evocative to the eyes. It's strongly "in-your-face". But it definitely has a distinct character. It's stiff, rigid, robotic like a Japanese mech, like a Gundam. A lot of this car powerfully represent its country of origin, without seemingly trying to follow design cues common from the Europeans and Americans. That other Japanese supercar, the current GT-R, also does that, but it doesn't do it as well as the LFA through first impression, no matter if the GT-R's arguably a more capable car if not more characterful.

There are still many, many cars I would pick over this one in a comparison. And yes, there's that other Japanese supercar who just technically performs better overall and is more obtainable. But I still can't doubt that the LFA is a truly terrific creation.

Sub-Zero, I'd ultimately say.

I say that it is COOL. Yes it is fast and OK looking. But it is way to expensive (for supercar terms) and it is just a festival of computers. It just seems like too much. Even after seeing reviews on how it drives and quality etc., I still don't think that it is the best car ever. If I had that sort of money, i'd rather buy a Ferrari 458 Italia Spyder. I do have to say, that the LFA makes a spine tingling noise.

Meh, this car has never done anything for me, plus it seems like the car people buy just to show off how much money they have which hurts it even more.

I voted Meh. For all the technology and wild barking V10, it's still a Lexus, meaning it isn't the last word in badge appeal. If it was badged as a new Toyota Supra, then it would be sub-zero.

This car is basically the same thing as a Bugatti Veyron, only it's ridiculously over priced for reasons I think are cool(driver focused car), instead reasons I think are completely pointless (highest top speed, but you can't tell you're going fast). I see someone driving this, I think cool he knows his stuff and doesn't care about badge snobbery, then he puts his foot down and that sound drives it into subzero.

Aside from it actually being a very good car, it's just ridiculously priced for a Toyota. Meh.

The car itself is "meh", but the price is enough to push it down to borderline seriously uncool.

However, I'm actually feeling generous today, so I'll just give mark it "uncool".

The sounds, the passion, the soul, the whole story makes it so cool. A pinnacle of Toyota's engineering since the TS020 at the time, still an amazing feat when compared to the others.

For this, sub-zero.

But then, some other stuff makes you demote it, mainly the price or badge.

I want with Seriously Uncool.......................

I never really liked the way it looked, it's nice looking but it looks like it has a "ricey" body kit on it.

It's overpriced, you can buy a car for half that price and it will perform way better then the LFA.

And it's a Lexus.

Sub Zero for me.

I'm a bit of a Toyota/Lexus fan, and I just love the engineering in it. Obviously if it came down to actually buying a car of this calibre I'd go with the 458 Italia (unless I had obscene gobs of money), but the V10 and all the engineering just make this a Sub Zero to me.

Frankly, I find the sheer absurdity of a $375k Lexus with a 550hp V10 to be part of why I love it.

I'd take it over almost all of it's competition.. it's quite bonkers in many ways.

I want to go sub-zero, and although I try not to go in for Badge-Whoreary, I don't like the way Toyota's handling the Lexus brand... I'd probably have preferred it to just be called a Toyota! So, just Cool I guess.

Use emoticons in your posts. How was I supposed to know that was sarcasm?

I can't use emoticons for some reason when I'm on here at work. The firewall here has this site partially blocked.

Other sites I regularly check are fine. Perhaps it is because this is the only international forum I go to.

I love the car and would drive one myself, but it's uncool, simply because you'll have to explain why you paid £300k for a Lexus, that they have to use a digital rev meter since the engine revs so quickly, why the fuel tank is so small, how it's basically a testament to OCD and it's made to the tightest tolerances. It's an anorak's dream. I think Jay Leno described it best when he said that it was a supercar for supercar enthusiasts, that all its refinements come to the fore only if you've driven other supercars to compare it to, and so it won't be seen as cool by the general public as say, a 458 or a Lambo. Having said that, I don't really care what others think, I know I'd be wearing a Cheshire-cat grin every time I revved that V10.

I love the car and would drive one myself, but it's uncool, simply because you'll have to explain why you paid £300k for a Lexus, that they have to use a digital rev meter since the engine revs so quickly, why the fuel tank is so small, how it's basically a testament to OCD and it's made to the tightest tolerances. It's an anorak's dream. I think Jay Leno described it best when he said that it was a supercar for supercar enthusiasts, that all its refinements come to the fore only if you've driven other supercars to compare it to, and so it won't be seen as cool by the general public as say, a 458 or a Lambo. Having said that, I don't really care what others think, I know I'd be wearing a Cheshire-cat grin every time I revved that V10.

You wouldn't have to explain your choices to anyone. Those who know will understand, those who don't will just hear the sound... See the blur... Dismiss it. The fools :)

I'm gonna ask this here and now, it's related to the cool wall, but not directly.

Why is it these discussions last such a short time? Looking at old polling threads, the vast majority of them had discussions, with a bit of sniping between members, that were dead within about three days. The exceptions to this are the ones with shouting matches that last for days. Anyone have any clue why this is the case?

Back