Style:2-Door Coupe
Engine:Turbocharged 3.8L V6 "rated" 276 HP
Transmission:4-Speed Auto known, 3-Speed Manual likely
Layout:Front-engine, Rear-drive
0-60:4.7 seconds
1/4 mile:13.5 seconds at 102 mph

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Ok, lets run this down. It's a good US car with a turbo V6, at that a Garrett turbo, that would outrun the V8s of the day (not TOO hard but still), and a simple look that cannot get old. Seriously, the day Black goes out of style is the day humanity dies. What makes it better is that is it. This was the sendoff to the platform that in reality saved Buick at the time...

Then, they killed the Regal.

The best part was when they "detuned" the engine and stuck the entire drivetrain in the Trans Am, and it wasted absolutely everything until the ZR1 came out the next year.

Everything in this car is sub zero. From black to Enkei wheels in a Buick to the "I brake for Vettes" license plate frames that seemed to adorn every GN at the time. I'd be hard pressed to find a car even from the muscle-car-70s that would be more fitting of sub-zero status than this car.

I put meh, because this car does nothing for me. I know that everyone loves the GNX, but I can't get excited about it.

It's still one of the coolest cars in the entirety of GM's history, and I'd say it's arguably one of the best American vehicles in the entirety of our own history. It is iconic in almost every way, from it's shape, color, engine and transmission, all the way down to being the very definition of making a car "just for the hell of it." Absolutely sub-zero.

Good lord, may the rumors that a GNX based on the SS Sedan, with the CTS' 3.6L, 420 BHP, twin-turbo V6 be true...

Sub-Zero for me, GM for life. Only a V6 but it's Turbocharged so that more than makes up for it! 👍 Some of the best styling of the day as well.

It's cool, even in the 80's it showed you didn't need a V8 to make a fast muscle car. Pus it was back when GM had a sense of humor.

Cool. Envisioned to shift some paradigms and show that a Turbo V6 could be a true american performance car.

Plus it looks mean, but clean. Cool.

Don't want to buy an ordinary block? Then buy our special edition limited production block!

Meh....

The V6 in the GNX wasn't really that much of a limited edition block. It was used in these cars.

1978 -1987 Buick Regal Sport Coupe, T Type, Grand National and GNX
1978 -1980 Buick LeSabre Sport Coupe
1979 -1980 Buick Century Turbo Coupe
1979 - 1985 Buick Riviera S Type and T Type
1980 - 1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1989 Pontiac Trans Am Turbo

The V6 in the GNX wasn't really that much of a limited edition block. It was used in these cars.

I think he was trying to be clever by referring to the styling as a block, failing to note that in the mid 1980s the only car that wasn't angular was the Taurus.

I think he was trying to be clever by referring to the styling as a block, failing to note that in the mid 1980s the only car that didn't wasn't angular was the Taurus.

I just generally hate most American cars from the '80s.

I just generally hate most American cars from the '80s.

Whyyy?

1983_Olds_98_Regency_Brougham_4_Door.jpg

1982_cadillac_deville-pic-62834.jpeg

PC%2081%20BONNE.jpg

30314400001_large.jpg

So sexy. Mine rides and drives so smooth, good oldschool Carb/V8 power. Wouldn't own anything newer than about '86 though.

I think he was trying to be clever by referring to the styling as a block, failing to note that in the mid 1980s the only car that wasn't angular was the Taurus.

Pffft, that's how cars SHOULD look. ;)

Last edited:
Mistakenly voted 'Seriously Uncool', didn't see the prefix in front of cool. Sorry.

My vote would be Sub-Zero, one of the few '80's American cars that I like. I don't really like the styling from that era (as above in the pictures) but out of them all... the GNX is the one that calls to me.

I voted 'Cool' because it starred in Fast & Furious 4.

Did it really though? And I voted " Sub-zero" because it can hit 60 in under 5 seconds, it's rated at a modest 270 HP, it's also(in my book) the only muscle car that has a V6 and it's got that 80's cool look to it.

Sub zero Because well It's Iconic and it's Has a Powerfull V6 TT And I Love the 80s American Styling Big Body Cars are awesome But i wish it would have the Chevy 350 or 305

Back