Texas
BMW M3 E92 nominated by motortrend

Stats that Matter:
Production: 2008-2013
Style: 2-Door Coupe
Engine: 414 HP 4.0L V8
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual, 7-Speed Paddle-Shift
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
0-60: 4.4 Seconds(2008-2010), 3.9 Seconds(2011-2013)
1/4 Mile: 12.7 Sec/112 mph(2008-2010), 12.4 Sec/114 mph(2011-2013)
Top Speed: 183 mph(2008-2010), 203 mph(2011-2013), limited to 155 mph

Wikipedia
Automobile Catalog.com

Nomination Thread

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Nope, I've got nothing.

I know it's great. I know it's SUPPOSED to be great. But on the thermoscale, it comes across to me as lukewarm at best.

Meh.

Voted "Meh"

It's so mainstream it might as well be a Toyota. The question is how cool the car makes the driver look and I usually assume that the person driving an E92 M3 is just an generic well off person who wanted something sporty.

It's looks might not translate into something very special to an unwary observer, and if you don't know how competent this thing really is, you'd say it's probably Meh. Until you hear the howl of the engine.

Cool.

Currently 'meh' at best. I will like it a lot more when the new one comes out and I don't see every 19 year old kid around where I work revving the nuts off his E9x M3. More than any other car, M3 drivers don't seem to grasp the concept of gradual throttle application, it's almost as if they replace the throttle pedal with a toggle switch; either on or off. At least they sound good as they WOT launch from every stop light, stop sign, parking space, lane merge, bank teller lane, drive through fast food, etc.

edit: Your performance figures are off. I don't recall the M3 ducking under 4 seconds to 60, and I seriously doubt an M3 would hit 200+mph without a limiter. I'd be amazed if it hit 180 with the power it has.

Last edited:
The drivers, as with most 2004+ BMWs drop it down to uncool. (No matter how much I'd love to have one.)

I voted cool. Many cars from the M Division are usually much better than the rest of the range.

Uncool. M3 used to be about small chassis with great handling and perky motor to take it onwards. This one is big, overweight and has enough gizmos to keep yuppies happy.

edit: Your performance figures are off. I don't recall the M3 ducking under 4 seconds to 60, and I seriously doubt an M3 would hit 200+mph without a limiter. I'd be amazed if it hit 180 with the power it has.

I don't doubt it. I pulled them off Wikipedia, and they were for the 2011 coupe after BMW had done some work to the cars. I'll do more looking this afternoon.

Voted meh. It's a great car, that can't be denied, but the 'M' division's been watered down by other cars that shouldn't be waring the badge.

Currently 'meh' at best. I will like it a lot more when the new one comes out and I don't see every 19 year old kid around where I work revving the nuts off his E9x M3. More than any other car, M3 drivers don't seem to grasp the concept of gradual throttle application, it's almost as if they replace the throttle pedal with a toggle switch; either on or off. At least they sound good as they WOT launch from every stop light, stop sign, parking space, lane merge, bank teller lane, drive through fast food, etc.

Play with one in the 5K+ range in the twisties getting on and off throttle and I bet you'd like it.

The figures are definitely off, but they're not thaaat off.

Voted meh. It's a great car, that can't be denied, but the 'M' division's been watered down by other cars that shouldn't be waring the badge.

I wouldn't say that the M Division has been completely watered down. Yes, the X5M and X6M are completely stupid and unnecessary and not worthy of the M badge. Also a car like the M550d xDrive may seem unthinkable, but there is sound reasoning behind the new M Performance brand of cars.

Think of the M Performance cars in a similar bracket as the S models from Audi and the full-on M Division models are comparable the Audi RS models.

Guy at work owns one, keeps it parked in the garage 360 days a year, only taking it out to impress people, and I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed when he drove it to work.

I know its supposed to be great, and I try to love it, but my love for its younger brother over casts a great shadow on this one. I'm sorry, but it gets a meh.

Guy at work owns one, keeps it parked in the garage 360 days a year, only taking it out to impress people, and I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed when he drove it to work.
That's exactly what you shouldn't do with that car. I voted cool purely because I like the way it looks and sounds, I'll probably never drive one so can't give my thoughts about that.

BTW Folks, I did find more stats on the separation. It's not much, but I put them in anyway. I imagine that the 08-10 version was the intended car, and I knew there was an update, but I still felt it was better to include them all.

Looks good, goes great, it's been kicking the ass of it's peers and competitors even though it's now a bit dated, it's the last of the naturally aspirated M cars (for now at least). I fail to see how it's anything other than cool (unless it were an E93!)

Doesn't make sub-zero for me though, even though I'm a BMW fan(boy)... to be sub zero it would need to be the GTS.

Homologation special M3 with a high revving V8 engine? Cool.

Regular production M3 with a high revving V8 engine? Bleh.

I voted meh. The performance seems pretty good but at the end of the day it's still a luxury sedan that blends in. Nothing really stands out visually for me.

Voted meh.

Everything I hear about this is that it's an excellent car, but it's so common that it just doesn't seem cool anymore.

Back