• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 61 comments

Tidgney

Premium
United Kingdom
Southport
LZR_Tidgney
Hey Everyone,

I've separated away from the other guides around just for the fact it's the qualifier! Do check out the practice ones though as they will help with a general idea of the track!

BUT

In the video you will find explanations of lines, each corner, some apex speeds (Explained in video why not all), some braking points, tips, tricks and anything else I could! You'll also find, NEW for this year wheel cam and foot cam towards the end of the video where you can have a look at my fastest lap at the moment, and the events on the lap with the wheel inputs and foot inputs :)!

So if you have any questions, want to throw in your own tips or want any advice give me a shout and I'll see what I can do!

But for now, get a brew/something to eat, sit back and enjoy! (I certainly did and I made the thing haha :D!)

For those wanting one particular corner or area of interest check below;

Time Stamps:

Abbey: 02:35
Farm Curve: 03:50
Village: 05:13
Loop: 07:15
Brooklands: 12:22
Luffield: 14:30
Copse: 16:24
Maggots: 20:55
Becketts: 21:37
Chapel: 22:00
Stowe: 25:20
Vale: 26:30
Club: 27:00
Flying Lap: 29:35
Wheel & Foot cam: 31:54

P.S. I meant finish line with speed (Mentioned later in the video) which is before the start of the lap.

This is the type of video i wanted. Will check it out as soon as i get home. felt like i needed to discuss this type of stuff with somebody.

I just need to remind myself to always point the car to the right direction before braking. Even a 5 degree variation will throw the car off. First turn of the track is where this is crucial.

Tidgney, thanks for posting this! This is money for most people and even for fast guys that could pick up a tenth or two. I know when the boss leaves this baby is coming up at work! :)

This is the perfect use of time in place of the staff meeting I had that was cancelled this afternoon 👍 :lol:

Amazing guide Tidg!

The main thing I learnt from this was the force feedback settings :D

I always had It cranked up to 10, just done the 1st sector and its like its a completely different car to drive! Brilliant!

A quick question, the yellow tape on your wheel, was it purely for the video so we can see wheel movements easier, or do you find it beneficial to have it on there?

My friend's driving instructor done the same when he was learning how to drive, so am curious.

Cheers Everyone :)

A quick question, the yellow tape on your wheel, was it purely for the video so we can see wheel movements easier, or do you find it beneficial to have it on there?

My friend's driving instructor done the same when he was learning how to drive, so am curious.

The yellow tape personally was there for the webcam but it may have an effect on me, not sure really. I suppose if it's in eye view it does have a tiny effect, and could help more with other people, it'd would have to be something you tried personally in order to get the best idea if I'm honest!

+2 on the FFB. I have ALWAYS used the highest setting I could. Shaved a fair bit of time turning it down 👍

Thanks for the videos T! They are killer :bowdown:

I'll try lowering the FFB settings too. I remember I had them really low when GT5P came out, but gradually increased them over time.

I am keeping the car in 3rd for Village as I kept losing grip in 2nd, but my braking point is starting to sink in so hopefully the car will be settled enough for a good exit in 2nd gear now.

I'm hoping to dip into the 2:18s by the end of the week or so. I think I will also try shorter stints to keep my focus as you mentioned.

Jerome

Amazing guide Tidg!

The main thing I learnt from this was the force feedback settings :D

I always had It cranked up to 10, just done the 1st sector and its like its a completely different car to drive! Brilliant!

Where do you guys find the settings for the force feedback? I looked last night but didn't see them. Admittedly I didn't look for long. Thanks!

Thanks for the video Tidgney. Just finished watching it and now getting ready for some more track time. Very informative and I'm sure it will be a big help. I can already see some things that I am doing wrong/not well enough, so going to go practice what you preach. 👍

The wheel/foot cams are brilliant. I think it's a good thing to be able to see all the little corrections and such. I always pictured the top runners barely moving the wheel at all with one hand, eating chips with the other, and listening to chamber music like the Stig :lol:

Cheers guys, I'm glad you like this, Let us know how you get on with times :)!

The wheel/foot cams are brilliant. I think it's a good thing to be able to see all the little corrections and such. I always pictured the top runners barely moving the wheel at all with one hand, eating chips with the other, and listening to chamber music like the Stig :lol:

Hehe ye, when I thought about it last year when people were still having a problem with certain corners, the main issue was steering input so have always wanted to setup the cameras. I'd rather find a permanent post for the cameras but unfortunately the wheel cam has a temp post at the moment so changes slightly in each video!

It's still useful to see steering inputs, and to be fair, you shouldn't have to much movement in the wheel for the perfect lap, I had to correct to many times which was why I lost so much :(! But some quick corrections like on copse don't really cost time and you can see/feel the car just about to go and a quick countersteer just helps that tiny bit :D!

Great Video well played Tidgney :) i need to stop these all nighters on GTAcademy :( i have a fear of not getting into 17's my current best is 18:130 an i have been up more than 3tenths first split against my ghost but i cant nail copse maggots beckets again like i did that lap.. With a 38.1 i had a 1.38.3 second split so if i could do first split of 37.8 or 7 then i extend out of luffield flicking to 3rd getting better exit than ghost so am up about 5tenths but the copse i am scared of messing up ;( its soul destroying when you try so hard spending all night trying your best .. The problem that i have is myself am to competitive to just have a break.. Because my ghost is slow first sector i have this could be it every lap.. :( A good nights sleep an a fresh mind.. Good luck tidgney..

This positive response about dropping the feedback has worried me haha! I use power steering off, FF10, and I've never ever even considered going another way. I like to have the maximum amount of feel through the wheel, but I'll give it a try now! FF4 here I come!

Another great video Tidgney! Nice to see someone at the top willing to share a few pointers 👍.

Best of luck to you for the qualifier!

Hi Tidgney. Thanks for this video! I'm looking forward to try your tips mate.

Great job!

No worries :)! Hope it helps!

Wow that was interesting, cheers for the link, I was watching his braking points the entire way round and they are very very similar in distance to what we are currently using! He has a little more grip but we are being more aggressive with 4 wheel drift motion but still very very interesting to see!

Hey tidgney first off mate good sportsmanship mate.
I've had trouble with hitting afew coeners consistantly. Using your markers i can tell i can def hit the 17s now I'm currently at 18.2 by the 2nd sector I'm up 6tenths and know there's some tenths in the third. Top notch mate cheers

Thanks again tydgney. Nice work especially with the live lap! If somewhat you can transform the speed you talk about the lap to the GT academy, I believe you can reach 2.15.5xx 💡:dopey:

Awesome work mate. I remember watching and learning from your tutorial during the last GTA and it helped me tremendously. Can't wait to see what this tutorial will bring to me this time

This is an absolutely marvelous breakdown of each corner. I don't intend to pad your ego. You've really helped me understand this course!

Last edited:
Back