Yamaha OX99-11 prototype nominated by RocZX

Yamaha_OX99-11_front.jpg

Stats that would've Mattered:
Production: 3 Units
Style: 1-Door "Coupe"
Engine: 3.5L V12-400 HP
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive

First prototype up, but I don't see a bright future here either.

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

And I'll tell you why. This may be the origin for cars like the Caparo T1 today, probably not but this is the earliest example of a "because we can" F1 type car I know of. Granted that knowledge might be minute in scale to some here...

ANYWAY! As I stated about the T1, this is a poser as well AND it's even more boring than the T1 to look at. Think about this though, this was made as the Uber-GT cars were terrorizing the FIA, so I guess in that vein, it's in line with the times.

Seriously Uncool.

Sub Zero. Show me another 400bhp V12 MR coupe that is single seater. Also, revs over 9000!!!!oneoneeleven! Oh, and it sounds glorious.

Not this one. It is, in fact, a two-seat tandem. EXACTLY like the Tramontana R, and similar to the Caparo T1, part of my comparison.

It sounds like an F1 car. which is good because if it sounded like Civic there'd be a problem.

Last edited:
Looks kinda odd but it grew on me. Needs more power for a v12 though. Meh.

Seriously uncool.

Useless prototype with slim to no chance of production. Very bland and generic kit car looks. V12 makes low power at high rpm.

And now I know it sounds bad as well.

First prototype up, but I don't see a bright future here either.

Uh, it was planned in 1990-91 or so, and hit "production" a year or two later. Concepts don't just show up again if production doesn't take off.

EXACTLY like the Tramontana R, and similar to the Caparo T1, part of my comparison.

Nothing personal, but this (letter) + "1" and/or (something) + "letter R" is getting so played out as to to be meaningless. Please, automakers and part suppliers...grow a linguistic backbone after you've consulted your legal department.

Looks kinda odd but it grew on me. Needs more power for a v12 though. Meh.
Useless prototype with slim to no chance of production. Very bland and generic kit car looks. V12 makes low power at high rpm.

That's how much power most supercars made 20 years ago. They detuned a racing engine for street use and potential durability.

The problem is, that nobody was going to take Yamaha seriously on production (how many actual cars have you produced?), it was crafted during The Little Recession of 1991-92, even the model name is everything that's wrong with model designations. Maybe calling it, well..."R1" would have been more anonymous. And the design was a bit weird, and not really sexy, in my opinion...but unique.

Has serious press corps with real testing equipment really reviewed one of these things? Or was it basically a Vector Aeromotive, without the exaggerated promises, so they could go back to making amazing motorcycles without much fuss?

I guess I give it a meh. Kind of wondered why it hadn't been given the nod in GT games, what with PD's fascination with quicker stuff that never went into production.

It's called the Yamaha OX99-11, which means if you didn't know what yamaha made, you'd think it was a printer... which means explaining.... which isn't cool

That and it's trying to hard...... the whole single seat, with the integrated hood wing... just no -__-

Seriously uncool

Uh, it was planned in 1990-91 or so, and hit "production" a year or two later. Concepts don't just show up again if production doesn't take off.

No, I meant it as dim hopes then, dim hopes now.

Nothing personal, but this (letter) + "1" and/or (something) + "letter R" is getting so played out as to to be meaningless. Please, automakers and part suppliers...grow a linguistic backbone after you've consulted your legal department.

No, I agree on this. For a prototype, like this, maybe. The F1 might get a pass, but for Audis? No go.

That's how much power most supercars made 20 years ago. They detuned a racing engine for street use and potential durability.

The McLaren F1 has, what, 500 HP? It's only been since the late 90's on that power numbers started skyrocketing.

The problem is, that nobody was going to take Yamaha seriously on production (how many actual cars have you produced?), it was crafted during The Little Recession of 1991-92, even the model name is everything that's wrong with model designations. Maybe calling it, well..."R1" would have been more anonymous. And the design was a bit weird, and not really sexy, in my opinion...but unique.

Yes, absolutely, and possibly. Unique for sure, even in todays world.

Has serious press corps with real testing equipment really reviewed one of these things? Or was it basically a Vector Aeromotive, without the exaggerated promises, so they could go back to making amazing motorcycles without much fuss?

I hadn't thought about that, but the Wiki page states that the whole project was stressed and underfunded from the get-go. Makes sense.

Has F1 inspired design with huge power from a meaty engine. However I couldn't drive around in it with it looking like that. You'd have to explain it all the time. I vote Meh.

I went for "Cool". I'd rather look at this one than most new supercars. I like the way it actually looks like a road going Group C car (after all, it is an early 90's concept)

The McLaren F1 has, what, 500 HP? It's only been since the late 90's on that power numbers started skyrocketing.

It has 620 HP, but i see your point. Where could you have a family station wagon with factory 550 or 580 HP ten or fifteen years ago? (Audi RS6)

It's very cool in a 90s supercar kinda way...except for the weird shaped 'cockpit'. That particularly part is about as cool as scissor doors on a ten year old Mustang.

Low end of Cool.

It's called the Yamaha OX99-11, which means if you didn't know what yamaha made, you'd think it was a printer...

I would think it was a piano, actually... I like the styling of the front end, and actually would take this over a lot of current supercars.

Voted Cool.

Although i voted uncool, or seriously uncool, for the Tramontana and Caparo - this is a little different. It was built by(for) a company involved in F1 and other motorsport at the time, so in a way it's much closer in concept to the F50 than it is the Caparo or Tramontana.

While it looks odd ... it isn't so "eew" like the Tramontana R, also Yamaha sounds like Yauma so "cool" for me. :dopey:

Back