BMW_E32_Front_.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: 1986-1994
Style: 4-Door Sedan
Engine: 5.0L V12-295 HP
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Top Speed: Limited to 155 MPH

There is also a 'Highline' option that was only available on the 750iL, adding $20,000 in options.

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

This one is cool, oddly.

It has a simple look, and it was the BMW flagship when it came to luxury, something the Germans were aces at in the late 80's and early 90's.

I don't know .. it looks odd and it doesn't have the grace from the 3 or 5-series. :indiff:

And 295HP from a 5.0L V12? That's almost hitting Mustang II numbers.

Meh.

Beamers are alright in my book. I too prefer the looks of a 3 or 5 series though. In this case (the 750 series) I think the letters BMW stand for ...
Big
Money
Wasted

Going with a firm "Meh"

I don't know .. it looks odd and it doesn't have the grace from the 3 or 5-series. :indiff:

And 295HP from a 5.0L V12? That's almost hitting Mustang II numbers.

Meh.

The legendary Mercedes-Benz 560SEL made 300 BHP from 5.6 litres. Which means that it has a lower specific output than the 750.

295 from 5 liters is not fantastic, but it's not terrible. Especially not for the time.

A luxury car motor isn't tuned for high-rpm power, however. The V12 was made for smooth, unobtrusive shove.

-

Came in here looking to vote seriously uncool, then saw it was an older Bimmer. That generation of Bimmers is mostly cool. And better, the M70 V12 doesn't use Nikasil lining. (Of course, by this point, that doesn't really matter... this is, at best, a twenty year old German luxury car, so cheap maintenance and reliability are a bit much to hope for)

I forgot about something. By this point in history, we have the M3 and the M5. This is cool without needing the M Division.

An M7 would have been pointless... would still be pointless, but would be... interesting.

Could have spread the development money out between it and the M8. Then they could have actually built the latter, and the world would have been a better place indeed.

I don't know... there's cars like the W126 with engines like a 4.2 V8 with 228hp
(by my maths the extra .8 liters and 4 cylinders would make a lot more than 295hp.

Then there's this Audi 200 with a 2.1 I5, and 180 hp. Double the cylinders and engine size and you'd also get the same results.

All this circa-1986...

niky has a point, though.

I don't know... there's cars like the W126 with engines like a 4.2 V8 with 228hp
(by my maths the extra .8 liters and 4 cylinders would make a lot more than 295hp.

But it didn't when Mercedes actually manufactured that engine at that size...

The three most directly comparable engines were the Mercedes M119 (330 HP, 355 lb ft) that came out 3 years later but was so racy that Mercedes had to drop it because of emissions for the M113 (305 HP, 340 lb ft); the Jaguar V12 which was slightly larger (299 HP and 320 lb ft); and the Porsche 928 engine that steadily grew until it was also 5.0 liters (315 HP, 317 lb ft). BMW could have gotten more out of the engine (though perhaps not M119 numbers), but they didn't bother because up until Mercedes dropped the sledgehammer that was the M120 the Beamer engine was still the cock of the walk.

Then there's this Audi 200 with a 2.1 I5, and 180 hp. Double the cylinders and engine size and you'd also get the same results.

That engine was turbocharged.

Last edited:
The 70's and 80's were not a great time for big engines. Fours and Sixes were the primary order, eights were starting to come back, but 12s wouldn't start seeing big power regularly until the 90's IIRC.

Also, abandon the math. There is no rhyme or reason behind why engines have what they do. It makes no sense, like the 5.0 in the Mustang II.

Cool, only barely though.

I've never really been a fan of non-M BMW models(Pre-M models withstanding), but I can't call anything with the BMW design language of that period uncool.

Cool. It's from the era when BMW's where good looking. Simple, understated, classy looks.

V12 is a bit weak, but it probably wasn't tuned for max power in this car.

Somebody has this shape 7 series but a 730i near me, it's such an achingly cool shape today, it looks smart but not trying to show off. Back when BMW s were styled with rulers :P like they should be. If you've seen one ok the road you'll know what I mean.

Cool, not quite sub-zero.

I wouldn't be able to pick this out of a crowd and just looks like a generic car. I have no strong feelings one way or another on it, but I don't think if I saw one I'd say "that's a cool car!" Voted 'meh'.

The 7-series isn't very cool, but this one is from BMW's golden age and it exudes class. I vote cool.

Uncool. Most people wouldn't tell it from a 5-Series, and an old 5-Series is only really cool if it's one of the hotter versions.

Not overly distinctive to look at either, and since its main USP is the fact that it's sportier to drive than its rivals (y'know, because everyone buys exec limos to belt down twisty roads) it's not even ideally suited to what it was designed for.

Good car (though not one you'd choose over a 5er unless you were desperate to have a V12), but not cool.

Back