• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Trabant 601 nominated by NotThePrez

Trabant601.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: 1963-1990
Style: 2-Door Sedan, 2-Door Wagon, Doorless Jeep
Engine: 0.59L 2 Cylinder, 2 stroke engine (26 HP)
Transmission: 4-Speed Manual (Auto-clutch available for people who couldn't use their right leg.)
Layout: Front-engine, Front-drive

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Time Saving: I vote uncool. Made of cotton or not, it's uncool. Reason: Look at the picture. This is a Soviet built white-good. It has all the emotion of my fridge, even though it would likely outlast any nuclear radiation had actual fighting broken out.

Last edited:
2 stroke with 26 hp? Sad to think my parents lawn mower has more power than this car. :lol:

Meh. I see some appeal, yet it's still horrendously underpowered, a relic from the Soviet Bloc era, and it doesn't even have a four stroke engine.

It's a quirky little car, and the smoker motor brings it up to a meh.
Would've been cool but it only has 25hp, because that's only about a quarter to a half of the power that it should be making.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Unless you were Politburo. Then you got a Benz.

Cool because of this.

The history behind cars like this (how they came to be) is pretty cool.

East Germany's people's car, and the first to be made of recycled materials.

That certainly makes it quirky, but it definitely doesn't make it cool.

Uncool.

2 stroke with 26 hp? Sad to think my parents lawn mower has more power than this car. :lol:

My riding mower has a V-twin Briggs with 28 hp. hydra-static drive, a cup holder, and cruise control. It has more options than this car does. :lol:

Nothing here at all for this car ... "seriously uncool"

Cute. Good on gas. Oldschool. Gave it another generous "Cool". :)

Having a hard time wrapping my head around the "Sub-zero" rating though.

Last edited:
Definitely meh. I like old cars that look kinda boxy, yet round such as the original Mini Cooper. But there's just nothing else that is cool about it. I won't be super harsh and give it a seriously uncool vote, but to each their own.

It's hilariously awesome and a piece of the political landscape. Sub Zero, if for no other reason than to be a warning against communism.

Two-stroke engine is neat, even if it's a bit of a lazy one. I didn't know these were oil sippers through the whole run. One of the early FF cars, and a popular rally racer -- both are a plus. It's cute, quirky, a bit tragic, and full of the sort of character that I find Cool.

Cool.

I see a lot of these on my travels in East Europe, they are awesome little things and seem to last forever. They are affordable and cope well in harsh weather, it serves its purpose, but doesn't do much else :lol:

Seriously uncool for me.

I can see the appeal, and would probably be a fun toy to take to classic car shows and the like. They can even look okay when not painted beige.

But that car has never represented anything other than a car for those denied better cars due to nothing more than who governed where they lived. And that isn't a cool image, even if they're now being accepted alongside other classics of the era.

I do find some Eastern Bloc stuff cool, but the 601 has too many negative connotations.

It really is a sad sorry little thing. The colour and material just reminds me of 1950's prosthetic limbs.

A classic, admittedly one that somehow manages to be a joke and a tragedy at the same time. It may seem seriously uncool, but then imagine what it would be like if you took its body and stuck an LS9 where the back seats were and hooked that up to the rear wheels.

Sub-zero.

It's a "Meh" from me. It's a bad car, but it isn't as bad as a Lada.

Cool. Cult car.

Edit: And they sound pretty sweet.

I know it's a race car version, but still.

Last edited:
So no one is going to mention U2's Trabant(s) then (think it was a 601), I guess that'd make it even more cool/uncool depending on your view of them and their use as various stage props.

Back