• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
McLaren MP4/4 nominated by race'emhard

452834335.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Official Designation: Marlboro McLaren Honda MP4/4
Operataing Seasons: 1988 Formula 1
Engine: 1.5L Honda V6 Turbo (612-676 HP)
Transmission: Weismann/McLaren 6-Speed Manual
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive
Drivers: Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna
Wins: 15 of 16
Poles: 15 of 16
Constructors Points: 1st-199
Champion Drivers: Ayrton Senna

Ladies and Gentlemen, as of this moment, I give you the last of the F1 Turbo cars.

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Meh. It looks the part, and the turbo is OK, but as great as it is, it doesn't do anything for me. It looks fast, but I'd say the Lotus 100t and the Benetton B188 are cooler. Wonderful machine, but not cool to me.

Last edited:
This deserves higher than Sub-Zero. Senna and the MP4/4 were a legendary combination during a time of real drivers and turbocharged insanity. It's a magnificent machine.

If there was an option that was higher than Sub Zero, I'd vote that. This is my favorite F1 car ever!

Aww, be nice to the poor guy. :P

Also, why?

Hahahaa, I didn't see that coming.

Anyway, the consensus is that race cars are built to a different standard than any street car, especially cars like this, and therefor are judged MUCH more harshly than most anything else. There have been exceptions, but some stay true to the idea, Joey being one. Nothing wrong with it, mind, just their mindset, much like some believe that torque alone or power alone or speed alone determine how cool something is.

Sure, McLaren were the RBR of their day and this engine wasn't as completely bonkers as the 1000 horsepower-plus ones, but I just can't bring myself to not like this car. Cool.

Always liked older F-1 cars and I like the livery on this one. Unfortunately it's not one of the ridiculously high powered ones, so I give it a cool.

I have a mega soft spot for 1980s motorsports machines. Anything from that decade is automatically cool, even from the series I don't particularly care for, like Formula 1 and stock car racing. Sub Zero. 👍

I'm torn here.

It's all of the above really. I voted cool because ultimately it is I think. But honestly I agree with most every argument on some level. It's uncool, cool and sub zero all at the same time.:crazy:

Yes, I realize this makes no logical sense.:lol::P

Uncool. I watch F1 after the paint I was watching has finished drying. F1 is extremely uninteresting to me. I'll watch it, but only if nothing else is on.

I've watched about 20 minutes of two different F1 races. One was in Monaco, but the other one I don't remember.

It's one of the most iconic F1 cars of all time. Driven by two of the greatest drivers the sport has ever seen and it won all but one race. Something that hasn't been repeated since. Turbocharged to over 1000BHP, little downforce, manual gearbox and has one of the most iconic liveries of all time. Sub-Zero all day long.

I can't see how any F1 car, single seater or any pure race car for that matter, can possibly be judged as cool or uncool. As a vehicle it can only be judged on it's success on track, there's nothing subjective about it.

Sub-Z for me.

Old racing cars are always cool, which should be enough on its own. But it's also one of the most iconic colour schemes on a race car ever, it's from one of the craziest eras in F1, and it was driven by two of the best drivers of all time.

The cars looked great back then, too. Low, wide, not too adorned with aerodynamic bits and bobs beyond the main wings, and with massive tyres.

Not really sure, but I've never seen a racecar that makes me think "cool", sure they're neat, they can be mean, and they can be badass, but cool? Nope.

I'd say that being a racing driver is a cool job (pretty much as exotic as it gets, really, short of being an astronaut or a fighter jet pilot - only better paid than either right at the top levels) - so as a tool inherent to their own coolness, I'd say a race car can also be cool.

Ew. Downsizing. Seriously uncool.

Though in all seriousness, I can't really bring myself to vote anything but seriously uncool anyway, because RACECAR.

Back