• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Porsche 917 nominated by Roger the Horse

porsche-917-02.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Operating Seasons: 1969-1971(World Sportscar Championship), 1981
Engine: 4.5L Flat-12, 4.9L Flat-12, 5.0L Turbo Flat-12, 5.3L Twin Turbo Flat-12 (Over 1000 HP)
Transmission: 4/5-Speed Manual
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive

It won LeMans, it killed Can-Am, Mark Donohue's speed record, and LeMans Featuring Steve McQueen. Also, Porsche almost went broke on this car.

My vote: It's cool by itself, it gets cooler as you read on. Yeah the Can-Am car is a bit of a stretch, but the fact that the power is said to be from 1,100 HP for racing to over 1,500 HP for qualifying, it's on the precipice of S-Z for me. Then, there's that last bit that forces me to go S-Z. Thank you, Martini Racing.

64843626_f39a6e9261_o.jpg

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

I just didn't want to make it a hat-trick of "meh" votes on my part. So... *shrugs*

It's nothing more than "cool" though. With any livery.

It's a Porsche race car that had a weird looking back end. Gets bumped up to a cool because of history, I guess.

Typically a racecar would be seriously uncool, but since it has an association with Steve McQueen, who is probably one of the coolest people to have ever lived, it bumps it to at least the cool level.

As an insane, legendary racecar with a grand history, it's definitely Cool. But it's too obvious of a mega-horsepower favorite for me to cast a subzero vote; it's literally a movie star. :lol: I also think its looks have aged poorly compared to other cars from its era.

Cool. It's a racecar, and it's actually quite ugly to my eyes, but domination and sheer amounts of powerful awesomeness offset it.

This goes beyond Sub-Zero. The history of the 917 is as impressive as that of the GT40.

I wanted to vote something lower than cool just because no one else had. Unfortunately i simply couldn't bring myself to do it.

Sub Zero, although that's mainly for the LH version. To me the back end of the K is ugly and the 917/10 and 917/30 are also pretty ugly.

Normally I define a cool car as being understated, hence my view that the Volvo 240 GLT Turbo is the coolest car ever made. However, there are a few cars, mainly older ones, that are either so beautiful or so ridiculous that they earn a sub-zero from me. This is one of them. The others are probably the Jaguar D-Type, the Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato, and Toyota TS020.

Yeah.

Back